Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
thanks! i would highly recommend it to anyone interested in or already working in IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

crunk dork posted:

not really a cert but i finished my BS 6 months earlier than planned through WGU today, 36 credits this term with a full time job and kid :shepface:

Grats! Though this makes me feel extremely lovely about myself since all I've done this semester...was my Security+. :negative: Real life has been kicking my rear end so hard I haven't done poo poo since, and it took far longer to get the Security+ because of it...

Ah well...since CCENT is supposed to be on my current agenda I'll just knock both that and CCNA in one go next semester and be covered for required credits and squeeze in what I can after.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Nice work! Total cost?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
$200 out of pocket with all my pell grants. I spent probably $500 on books to supplement their materials and $1000 on stuff to help me pass CCNA Security but that was all my own decision.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Congrats. I'm down to my final 4 courses with 10 weeks left in my term, both Scripting and Programming and then the Technical Writing + Capstone.

I'm reasonably proficient with Python so I don't imagine that'll be too difficult. Java will probably suck.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Ozu posted:

Congrats. I'm down to my final 4 courses with 10 weeks left in my term, both Scripting and Programming and then the Technical Writing + Capstone.

I'm reasonably proficient with Python so I don't imagine that'll be too difficult. Java will probably suck.

I transferred in with an associates that covered all those classes thankfully. The tech writing and capstone is cake if you can just sit down and bang them out in a night or two each

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What did you do as your subject for the capstone? They make it seem like you need a full on project with a journal documenting your steps, so I figured it wasn't a one day thing.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What did you do as your subject for the capstone? They make it seem like you need a full on project with a journal documenting your steps, so I figured it wasn't a one day thing.

It shouldn't be but I'm a grade A bullshitter and the people grading it aren't technically competent in all areas so you don't have to write anything too crazy. I just did an ASA deployment for a local small business including setup of an SSL VPN and detailed how it would use RADIUS to authenticate users against their AD. Felt like I was repeating myself a lot but I got a lot of 4/4s on sections so I guess I did something right. :shrug:

ZteleME
Dec 27, 2009
Passed 70-410 this weekend!

I scored 740, not pretty, but hey any points after passing is just wasted time studying, right?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ZteleME posted:

Passed 70-410 this weekend!

I scored 740, not pretty, but hey any points after passing is just wasted time studying, right?

The most valuable thing is that now you know what Microsoft-type exam questions are going to look like so moving forwards, you'll be better prepared to study for the 70-411 and 70-412.

ZteleME
Dec 27, 2009

HPL posted:

The most valuable thing is that now you know what Microsoft-type exam questions are going to look like so moving forwards, you'll be better prepared to study for the 70-411 and 70-412.

Yeah I see now the headaches you guys complain about on how Microsoft writes their exams. I kept on rereading a certain problem until I realized it was a trick question.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Not looking for a certification per se, but anyone have a good resource for learning how to support Macs in a business setting? I'm looking at interviewing for a position in a Mac heavy environment.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ZteleME posted:

Yeah I see now the headaches you guys complain about on how Microsoft writes their exams. I kept on rereading a certain problem until I realized it was a trick question.

Exactly. Enjoy your world of hurt for the next few months.

FUTURE JAZZ
May 17, 2009

"Like Jamiroquai, but with the beeps and boops of Jarre.
Ask me about my new weird america klesmer Christian chamber pop band."

skooma512 posted:

Not looking for a certification per se, but anyone have a good resource for learning how to support Macs in a business setting? I'm looking at interviewing for a position in a Mac heavy environment.

I, too, applied at Salesforce.

(I'm kidding. When you say support, what level are you talking about? Helpdesk-ie or more of a backend?)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

crunk dork posted:

It shouldn't be but I'm a grade A bullshitter and the people grading it aren't technically competent in all areas so you don't have to write anything too crazy. I just did an ASA deployment for a local small business including setup of an SSL VPN and detailed how it would use RADIUS to authenticate users against their AD. Felt like I was repeating myself a lot but I got a lot of 4/4s on sections so I guess I did something right. :shrug:

They don't give a poo poo about the actual technical content of the paper. They want you to follow the rubric and make sure you do everything they ask in the proper format. You can assume the people reading the papers have no idea what you're talking about.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Has anyone gotten a Masters from WGU? Debating on going down that route for some more resume fluff.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

That's been asked a few times recently, either here or in the IT thread.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Moey posted:

Has anyone gotten a Masters from WGU? Debating on going down that route for some more resume fluff.

I'm working on the Master's in Information Security. If you can churn out bullshit papers with any kind of discipline, you could probably finish the program in a year.

The new Cybersecurity program eliminates the Cryptography class which is currently the objective assessment other than the certs.

I'd recommend it for resume fluff but don't expect to actually learn anything substantial. They say you're prepared to take CISSP after the program but I think you'd still need a bit of prep to be ready for that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DrCommander posted:

I, too, applied at Salesforce.

(I'm kidding. When you say support, what level are you talking about? Helpdesk-ie or more of a backend?)

It's for executive support, so probably more helpdesk. It would also help in my current job since the new management insists upon Macs and our environment just wasn't built with them in mind.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Is there a decent source for practice exams or even just some sample questions or something? I want to take my VMware test but just want to feel ready before going in so to do some practice questions or something before I go would be good.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Thirteenth Step posted:

Is there a decent source for practice exams or even just some sample questions or something? I want to take my VMware test but just want to feel ready before going in so to do some practice questions or something before I go would be good.

The Veeam VCP6 study guide is pretty good. Almost too much information though, makes it hard to digest. vladan.fr has a bunch of stuff too. Relatively speaking, the VCP6 is a newish exam so there's not a ton of material out there.

I just passed VCP6-DCV today. It's a nasty exam. Lots of detail questions, lots of "pick 2" and "pick 3" questions. The only thing that bailed my rear end out on a bunch of the questions was that they would put terms in the question that would be in the answers, so if you're in a jam, look up and go through the question again and see if anything matches up. Also, if you don't know what something is, at least know what it is not, but that's true of all exams. Like I said, there's a lot of multiple answer questions, so it's crucial that you can narrow down the possibilities by at least a little.

If anyone else out there is considering the VCP6 and they have a choice between doing that first or doing MCSA first, do the MCSA first. There's a lot of stuff from MCSA like single sign-on and Active Directory/LDAP that carries over to VMware except you'll go into much greater detail in MCSA.

HPL fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 23, 2016

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I've got about 14 months until my VCP5-DCV cert expires, so once I'm finished with the last couple modules I need to hit the magical 50 CEUs to renew my Security+ cert I need to decide on what to do next. I'm leaning on getting MCSA 2012, but I've also been considering looking at getting RHCSA. Then there's also the magical VCP-NSX.

I get a headache trying to figure out which direction I want/need to go - basically, I want to have the right certs to be able to drop my resume on one of the job boards, and in a week have half a dozen interviews lined up (for positions that are actually in line with my experience and interests). Something to sleep on....

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this a dying product?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Moey posted:

Not at all. NSX is starting to blow up in the DC SDN arena and will probably become ubiquitous within the next 5 years.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I need some advice. Yesterday I finally passed the MCSA 70-412 exam. I kinda don't know where to go from here. I believe I need more experience before I go for the MCSE cert.
Where do you go from MCSA Server 2012?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sefal posted:

I need some advice. Yesterday I finally passed the MCSA 70-412 exam. I kinda don't know where to go from here. I believe I need more experience before I go for the MCSE cert.

Similar boat, but with a lot more experience; and I'm not even certain whether I want to futz with MCSE. With where the industry is headed I think I'm going to put my energy into AWS certs and experience.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Moey posted:

NSX is the networking piece of how VMware wants to implement the Software Defined Data Center. There's an argument to be made that as more apps become "cloudy" (public or private) that OpenStack may eat VMware's lunch (or at least restrict the premium they can charge) so maybe dying in that sense, but OpenStack isn't fully there yet IMHO.

As someone working on the networking side of the house more than the virtualization, I can say there's still quite a bit of buzz around NSX.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sefal posted:

Is this your only cert? The one-two punch MCSA and CCNA should land you a decent position out of help desk or jr system admin. VMWare VCP-DCV is a good place to go next as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sefal posted:

What do you want to do?

In Microsoft land the next step is to get a MCSE in one of the various specializations they have.

If you're interested in networking the CCENT or CCNA are good choices and it's always good to have a strong networking background.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
MCSA is the only cert I have that's worth anything. I've always wanted to get the CCNA cert but my boss doesn't want to pay for it anymore. Now he wants me to get MCSE before he will pay for the CCNA.
I can't seem to convince him to fund my CCNA learning materials.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sefal posted:

When I finished the ccna I immediately wanted to jump in to the ccna security to keep going. I think the best thing I did was to take a break from studying to work on general skills in the field, start studying on a few different certs just to try them out / gain skills in a wider variety of fields with no pressure. I was able to really figure out where I wanted to go and what certs would best compliment that ccna.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jang's Red Hat Cert book is finally out, just to put an end to this months long saga

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
VMware is a good cert to get after MCSA because you may be using Windows Server, but you'll be using it inside ESXi.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sefal posted:

You have all 3 MCSA Certs?

Just get the MCSE if you particularly enjoy working with the Microsoft line-up of products. Nearly every IT Industry Certification recommends an arbitrary amount of real-world experience but in the overwhelming majority of circumstances it's not necessary.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 25, 2016

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Those of you that have taken the new CCNA security, what did you use to study for it? I know there was plenty of chatter about that bugged simlet, but I'm still thinking about taking it in the next couple of months.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

rafikki posted:

Those of you that have taken the new CCNA security, what did you use to study for it? I know there was plenty of chatter about that bugged simlet, but I'm still thinking about taking it in the next couple of months.

The Boson practice test, the Official Certification Guide and checking Cisco pages for spots in the exam topics you feel weak on should be sufficient.

The OCG is poo poo overall, but it's a great entry point. The Boson test has paragraphs of info for each question if you check "show answer"

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Nice, thanks.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

You have all 3 MCSA Certs?

Just get the MCSE if you particularly enjoy working with the Microsoft line-up of products. Nearly every IT Industry Certification recommends an arbitrary amount of real-world experience but in the overwhelming majority of circumstances it's not necessary.

I have passed 70-410 in january, 70-411 in february and last week 70-412. Which only gives me MCSA Server 2012 right?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

psydude posted:

Not at all. NSX is starting to blow up in the DC SDN arena and will probably become ubiquitous within the next 5 years.

Ahhh never mind, is it the Cisco Nexus 1000V I am thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Moey posted:

Ahhh never mind, is it the Cisco Nexus 1000V I am thinking of?

Probably closer to being accurate though if ACI becomes a thing it may end up being relevant again.