Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

This is flat loving bonkers. They HAVE to know the kinds of compatibility problems they're creating when using ASIO drivers. And for what? How could they even begin to start to even try to think that audio latency is a driver issue!??!?

Honestly, maybe they're intentionally doing helmet-level retarded poo poo just to run interference and make excuses for no progress?? "Due to this REVOLUTIONARY, ehm, you know NEW APPROACH to, aaaahhhhmm, well ehm audio FIDELITY, it's taking a bit longer than, eh, whep, errmm, you know, we THOUGHT, but eh, you know it's all, like, REALLY gonna be worth it."

Either that or they're just completely stupid.

Windows 7 has DPC latency on the order of 0.5 milliseconds or so. 1 millisecond for Windows 8/8.1.
In other words, it's on the order of MICROFUCKINGSECONDS.

Anyone believing it's an issue in a loving game needs their head examined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The battery level isn't at 5% or lower, but otherwise pretty good.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is the best ever summation of CIGs entire business strategy. It should be in the OP.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just posting on the WinXP page.

edit : imgur being weird again

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 25, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hi

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Lime Tonics posted:

Just posting on the WinXPAtari page.

FTFY

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Can anyone here tell me what AAA Star Citizen currently 'blows away'?

It blows away mighty gusts of parp.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

how many days does star citizen have left

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Can anyone here tell me what AAA Star Citizen currently 'blows away'?

It's got better space dog fighting than Witcher 3, it's got more detailed space stations than GTA 5, it's got better FPS mechanics than Sim City.

I mean loving hell man what do you want?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…or at least page-better-gaming-platform-than-whatever-the-mess-CIG-is-constructing-for-themselves.

It's a bit of a mouthful, but I'm sure a bit of PR can polish that bit right up, and it'll be true either way.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Lets put it this way: Even my MVP forum badge is over 3 months late. So an actual game? LOOOOOOOOOOL.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Dammit, i go to work, i miss 10 pages, Around the Ben and all the fun.
What did i miss besides audio driver parpage and Sandi eating in Ben's face?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Tippis posted:

…or at least page-better-gaming-platform-than-whatever-the-mess-CIG-is-constructing-for-themselves.

It's a bit of a mouthful, but I'm sure a bit of PR can polish that bit right up, and it'll be true either way.

Does Chris think CIG is Valve?

StarDrivers for your StarCitizen StarMachine, featuring StarHOTAS & StarVR with integrated vomit management system to help with your immersion-animation-rejection, you filthy plebe.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

It's got better space dog fighting than Witcher 3, it's got more detailed space stations than GTA 5, it's got better FPS mechanics than Sim City.

I mean loving hell man what do you want?

A better economy simulator than Call of Duty, but I'm sure we'll get that by the time it reaches beta.
Also, maybe more sandbox than CS:GO, but that one will admittedly be hard to reach.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

orcinus posted:

Dammit, i go to work, i miss 10 pages, Around the Ben and all the fun.
What did i miss besides audio driver parpage and Sandi eating in Ben's face?

Last 10 minutes were about asbestos and dog rear end wallpapers, and no I'm not kidding.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

I'm the ten guys trying to explain the pledge/buying/alpha to someone who doesn't understand any of it

Im the guy they were trying to explain it to :)

i think someone got stuck in paradox when i talked about my plans to launch idris from bengal carrier once sq42 will comes out.

Also the guys in the stream chat are pretty broken. I mean i even pointed out that they weren't talking about star citizen anymore
their answer was "This stream isnt for newbie. watch some other star citizen stream" :allears:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

You know what I find extremely amusing about all this?

We (and I include myself in this) get so angry watching the shitshow unfold. We wince in embarrassment at their utter incompetence and become incensed at their truly disgusting business practices.

We actually care more about the game than CIG does.

We see what could have been if idiot moron retard mushmouth hunchback fatboy failure Chris Roberts was not even involved with the project.

gently caress them.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm sorry, Mr Oldman

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Risc1911 posted:

PS: I would not be surprised if Illfonic and CIG did nto part in good faith and CIG has no access to whatever Illfonic developed. Would explain a lot, actually.

Nah, they would tell us if this was the case, it's open development after all.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

sunaurus posted:

Nah, they would tell us if this was the case, it's open development after all.

It seems more likely that CIG managed to make Illfonic's work entirely unusable in their GongShowEngine. They changed the skeletons, so the animations won't work. They changed the coordinate system, so the maps don't work. The weapon skins, now those seem to be at least somewhat OK, so they're trickling in as they get them rigged into this week's edition of the skeleton.

It's kinda like chairgate, except instead of changing the ship, they changed the entire underlying fundamentals that underpinned Illfonic's contract without a care to what it'd do to the end product.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I want to be the subscription manager for Solar Plebeian

My girlfriend can be the community manager I guess but only if she doesn't have to do any work

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

How is a game with a server tick of 30Hz supposed to deal with ships going 0.02c? That's literally 200km every server tick in quantum. That's some fine granularity right there. By the time the server recognizes your interdiction & pulls the putz you're trying to pillage outta Quantum they'll be far enough away you'll need to Quantum yourself to catch up.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I like Gary Oldman and I loved The Professional. But I hate his acting in it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lime Tonics posted:

Just posting on the WinXP page.

edit : imgur being weird again

:filez:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

They probably won't.

Besides, everyone's bracing for absolute bad news any day now. You heard it here first.

2 weeks?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

LowellDND posted:

Im seeing some agile/waterfall words, but lack context. Business strategies? Anyone want to do an effort post on them?

Agile is the simplest concept in software development and it has been hilariously perverted by a combination of inept managers and autistic engineers worldwide to become the very thing that it professes to be against.

It makes sense that CIG would be using it (poorly).

The funny thing is that waterfall development (feature x depends on feature y which will be done when it's done), isn't necessarily a bad thing. In reality, your first ~30-50% of development should probably be all waterfall. This is because you need to fully flesh out core features (netcode, rendering, physics) before stacking higher-level stuff on top. With the typical two-week sprints you see in Agile development, there's a constant mad dash to push out a ton of different small things, which unfortunately is the opposite of what you should be doing in the early stages of development. Once you're past the earliest stages and starting to move more into asset creation and feature additions, that's when an Agile development cycle makes sense, as you can break down complex tasks into smaller pieces and distribute them amongst your team--because you've laid a solid groundwork in the beginning, people are able to work side-by-side on features without causing conflicts.

This all assumes a well-oiled machine with strong direction, of course :laugh:

Agile really is the worst of the cargo-cult development practices that you see in the industry today. The basic idea is sound but you have so many time-wasting idiots in companies that seek to constantly complicate things. Case in point; I once did a three-day formal Agile training session to learn how to be a "Scrum Master." There is nothing in Agile that requires three loving days to figure out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Use this in health. It's at least as accurate as the source material was.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

lol

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

revmoo posted:

Agile is the simplest concept in software development and it has been hilariously perverted by a combination of inept managers and autistic engineers worldwide to become the very thing that it professes to be against.

It makes sense that CIG would be using it (poorly).

The funny thing is that waterfall development (feature x depends on feature y which will be done when it's done), isn't necessarily a bad thing. In reality, your first ~30-50% of development should probably be all waterfall. This is because you need to fully flesh out core features (netcode, rendering, physics) before stacking higher-level stuff on top. With the typical two-week sprints you see in Agile development, there's a constant mad dash to push out a ton of different small things, which unfortunately is the opposite of what you should be doing in the early stages of development. Once you're past the earliest stages and starting to move more into asset creation and feature additions, that's when an Agile development cycle makes sense, as you can break down complex tasks into smaller pieces and distribute them amongst your team--because you've laid a solid groundwork in the beginning, people are able to work side-by-side on features without causing conflicts.

This all assumes a well-oiled machine with strong direction, of course :laugh:

Agile really is the worst of the cargo-cult development practices that you see in the industry today. The basic idea is sound but you have so many time-wasting idiots in companies that seek to constantly complicate things. Case in point; I once did a three-day formal Agile training session to learn how to be a "Scrum Master." There is nothing in Agile that requires three loving days to figure out.

Agile's largest issue is that it's now a cottage industry. *Being* agile is the hip-trendy buzzword, but to 'properly be agile' you have to pay massive amounts of money for your team to get trained, then certified, then...

All for the concept of "Getting *something* done now is better than getting *everything* done five years from now" - which is hilarious when you look at CIG.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cuntpunch posted:

Agile's largest issue is that it's now a cottage industry. *Being* agile is the hip-trendy buzzword, but to 'properly be agile' you have to pay massive amounts of money for your team to get trained, then certified, then...

All for the concept of "Getting *something* done now is better than getting *everything* done five years from now" - which is hilarious when you look at CIG.

same with ITIL

you gotta be an ITIL certified service desk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why the gently caress would audio drivers affect input latency :confused:

Are they going to accept midi input?

It's really retarded and whomever thought this up should be shot. Basically in Windows you have a stack like so:

This is dated but it gets the point across. So in your code you have say SuperHighLevelDirectXFunction(PlaySound);

Because the function called in code is so far away from the drivers/audio output hardware there's an inherit latency. For anyone who's code isn't a monumental pile of rear end poo poo like CiG this doesn't matter. They basically want to go directly from their engine to your sound to have "instant" output. Why sound who loving knows. It's retarded.

These kinds of hacks are used for things such as MIDI controllers or USB devices because USB is so loving awful and slow and removed that most anything has inherited latency. Drivers such as ASIO or USBIO are made so that the application in question has a more direct path to their input/output device for faster response.

Phroztee
Oct 30, 2012
Has anyone streamed Star Plebian under Star Citizen on twitch? I reckon it'd be worth the ban.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

CIG's waterfall development model:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sappo569 posted:

Ben just chugged a mini-red bull and is now on his phone

Incoming wing commander story in 5...4..3..

If staff under my supervision were ever caught like this during work hours, they would be looking for new employment.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

Ben just chugged a mini-red bull and is now on his phone

Incoming wing commander story in 5...4..3..

No wonder he needs glasses he's holding that phone 6 inches away from his face.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Daztek posted:

I'm sorry, Mr Oldman

I think you'll find it's actually Gary who is the sorry one.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

:captainpop: Holy poo poo

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sandi has a new film listed on her resume page:

quote:

American Satan
Day Player
Dir. Ash Avildsen

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5451690/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Get hype!

And more hype...

I see a lot of tattoos...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 25, 2016

• Locked thread