Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Also more dark souls 2, it's taken me this long to realize just how lovely the soul memory system is. I've been playing along side my friend. He's struggling a lot and even though I started way after him I was able to catch up to him in progress very quickly and with like, a quarter of his soul memory. So I couldn't help him in PVP. By the time I caught up to his soul memory I had like fifty levels on him and had maxed out equipment and was running out of things to spend my souls on. The PVP tiers are a bit more tight when it comes to invading down, but you can invade infinitely up. But basically I Could have invaded him and would have wrecked his poo poo in because I was better geared and better at the game than him. But according to the game we were equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Did you buy be Silvercat Ring before you attempted this?

Nope! Didn't see anyone in there, didn't know you could talk to a cat. Was a day two huge loss of souls.

Nuebot posted:

But according to the game we were equal.

In DS 1 there was this thing where if you beat 99.9% of the game without leveling, if you were that good, if you upgraded your gear and used weapons and spells that didn't require stats, if you got all the way there, you could go back and invade naked level 1 people to mess with them. For no reason and no benefit you could absolutely ruin some poor shmuck trying to get help fighting the belltower gargoyles or find his way through undead burg.

We all did it. I mean I just did weird poo poo to freak people out and didn't kill them much. Challenge them to boxing or whatever. Be a snake headed man and barf at them. Something memorable. But there were others, who just used a lightning rapier to oneshot you, and do a bragging emote.

They added soul memory to stop that but also broke the coolest bragging right in any game possible.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Mar 25, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Or you could just use human effigies. That's what they're for.

is there a reliable way to farm for these without online or coop?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Action Tortoise posted:

is there a reliable way to farm for these without online or coop?
Yes, but again, not at the start. A surprising number of enemies drop them, actually. But you'll never need that - I always end up with >30 of them sitting around unused.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Digirat posted:

Salt and sanctuary takes the "rolling into stuff" tactic in a more logical direction but it ends up getting pretty tedious, where instead of trying to roll through attacks (which is often not possible as your invincibility frames don't last long enough) you just roll through the enemy itself so you're on its other side. There is really no way to avoid many attacks without doing this if you are not using a shield, so a huge number of boss fights amount to rolling through them, watching them whiff an attack on the side where you just were, and then rolling back to the other side when they swing at where you are now. Their attacks can cover half the screen in front of them, so the only safe place within reach is behind them.

The game has some very good and creative boss fights, but it also has a whole lot of bosses where this is all you do.

I have been playing S&S as well. I think it has some good candidates for this thread. There have been a few games which tried to lay claim to "it's a 2D Dark Souls!" and I think S&S mostly succeeds at that. I think its biggest failing is that it fails to manage risk vs. reward which is the thing Dark Souls did so well. Some sessions of S&S get tedious and unfun really fast, and I just have to put it down. Out of maybe 8 play sessions, I've had two which lasted longer than an hour - not because I ran out of time and had to go do something else - but just because the game simply became a slog - and why keep playing if I'm not having fun?

I think I flat out don't understand the weapon upgrade system. I get that you can Upgrade and Transmute, but I see SO little damage increase that I feel like I haven't done it correctly.

It also has what I consider to be the absolute bane of Soulslike games: cheap deaths. The hallmark of the Souls series is "cruel, but fair" and for the most part it rarely deviates from that formula. Your death is usually your fault and you get an immediate sense of what you did wrong as soon as it happens. S&S has a few places where death feels out and out cheap. I think it's in Castle of Storms, but there's one of those falling, spiked log traps (indoors?!) right at the edge of a screen by an exit. That's some cheap poo poo. The fact that it's indoors is dumb, for starters, and the fact that at no point before this in the game were you in danger of anything right on the edge of a screen like that. Just felt like a "gently caress you, player". I'm fine with playing by the rules of your game world, as long as the game world consistently plays by them too.

Also - the Dark Souls 2 version of the Cling Ring (greatly mitigates the max health loss from dying a lot) is no longer easy to rush and grab in Scholar of the First Sin. It's now guarded by a bunch of Heide Knights.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

HaB posted:

Also - the Dark Souls 2 version of the Cling Ring (greatly mitigates the max health loss from dying a lot) is no longer easy to rush and grab in Scholar of the First Sin. It's now guarded by a bunch of Heide Knights.

It's still not terribly difficult to get. I went and got it before going on to the first boss. :shrug:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Leal posted:

In FF14 blackmage's (along with mechanist and archer) requirement to stand still to do attacks

Did they change that? Archers could MC Hammer slide all they wanted last I played.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Did they change that? Archers could MC Hammer slide all they wanted last I played.

At level 54 they get an ability that makes their attacks do more damage and allows them to use other abilities at the cost of all their skills now having a cast time. You get to become a turret just like a blackmage.

Also re positionals: I almost forgot to mention, ninja originally had no positionals in its combo, just for trick attack/dirty attack (either big damage from up front, or a slightly weaker attack in the back that gives the enemy a debuff). In the expansion they made the ninja's last attack in their combo have a positional.... then introduced mobs and bosses who randomly flipped and turned. Like great, it already wasn't painful enough to have tanks that constantly moved enemies around, now the enemies randomly move regardless of the tank.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wanted to get into FFXIV so badly, but the combat really, really dragged. It felt so slow compared to other games, which was annoying as the world and writing are charming as all hell.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

I wanted to get into FFXIV so badly, but the combat really, really dragged. It felt so slow compared to other games, which was annoying as the world and writing are charming as all hell.

How far did you get? That game takes until level 25-30 for you to accumulate enough skills for the combat speed to really make any sense. It's still slower than typical games of that genre though.

The thing that killed FFXIV for me is that it required you to do a ton of awful story quests if you wanted do any of the high end content. I gave up when I hit 45 and someone told me that I had "hours" of questing left to do before I could even enter the level 45 dungeon. I heard that when they released the expansion you had to do all of the previous endgame story quests that had been added to it over a year before doing any of the new content. That killed any interest I'd have had in resubbing since my friends who played it would probably be well through it all before I caught up with them, even though I was only 5 levels behind.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I gave up when I hit 45 and someone told me that I had "hours" of questing left to do before I could even enter the level 45 dungeon.

assuming you mean dzemael darkhold the level 44 dungeon it's a completely optional dungeon unlocked by getting high enough in your grand company, you just do various poo poo you'd be doing anyway or turning in items to gain company seals and spend them on promotions

(also it's not even that fun a dungeon so you're not missing much :v:)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

assuming you mean dzemael darkhold the level 44 dungeon it's a completely optional dungeon unlocked by getting high enough in your grand company, you just do various poo poo you'd be doing anyway or turning in items to gain company seals and spend them on promotions

(also it's not even that fun a dungeon so you're not missing much :v:)

Well it's been awhile so I probably have the exact details wrong. There are a ton of dungeons gated behind the story which is stupid and annoying, is my point.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Leal posted:

At level 54 they get an ability that makes their attacks do more damage and allows them to use other abilities at the cost of all their skills now having a cast time. You get to become a turret just like a blackmage.

Ew. Is that an ability you can turn off, at least?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The Moon Monster posted:

Well it's been awhile so I probably have the exact details wrong. There are a ton of dungeons gated behind the story which is stupid and annoying, is my point.

I had a free month of this game when you buy it and I bought another when I upgraded to heavensward and holy goddamn poo poo. From the time you beat the base game to the time you're allowed to start heavensward is like twelve loving hours of fetch quests. I cannot overstate how loving horrendous it is to have so many goddamn quests before you can start the goddamn content you paid for.

And they all pay poo poo for xp because they were made when you were already "max level" so what do you need quest rewards for?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Krinkle posted:

I had a free month of this game when you buy it and I bought another when I upgraded to heavensward and holy goddamn poo poo. From the time you beat the base game to the time you're allowed to start heavensward is like twelve loving hours of fetch quests. I cannot overstate how loving horrendous it is to have so many goddamn quests before you can start the goddamn content you paid for.

And they all pay poo poo for xp because they were made when you were already "max level" so what do you need quest rewards for?

I heard that the designers set it up so levelling from 50-60 takes roughly as long as levelling from 1-50, and jesus christ after getting white mage and botanist to max, I believe it.

I had to stop for awhile because there's another new patch out and it's just insane how much grinding for equipment it's going to take me. I've beaten everything and am awesome, game. Stop making me prove it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

FFXIV does a thing where if you go into the roulette queue, you have no control over what mission you join, but you get bonus xp and money if it's your first one today.limit one per day.

And people do their one goddamn bonus mission, and the game uses these people to fill in the gaps for the bad missions that are backlogging the thing up so that people waiting an hour to do their leveling dungeon with bad rewards that you'd do once for a story and never again can finally get through it.

Why don't they let you do as many as you feel like per day? No reason. The thing will flash and say "holy poo poo we need healers, if you're a healer please please please join the roulette and get some bonus bonus xp" but again, only if it's your first that day. Done it already? gently caress you.

I fundamentally can't understand why they don't let you be a class "in need" as many times as possible a day. If there's nothing in it for people nobody will queue up to heal/tank and the lines back up anyway. There's like four tank classes, three healers and thirty DPS types so everything is backed up all to poo poo and leveling a ninja is basically a hell ordeal of waiting for your number to get called.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FF14 still using a subscription system drags it down for me. I'd be all over that game if it didn't.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Digirat posted:

Similarly, games that waste your time before reloading whenever you lose.

I've mentioned this before but Rainbow Moon does something like this this. You can get ambushed by a mob you can't possibly survive against but battle is the one time you can't simply pause and return to the title screen and enemy battle animations are mostly unskippable. This means you could have to spend more than a minute watching your inevitable death. If they don't let you skip battle animations in the sequel then "lol no bai".

Being forced to sit out the rest of a multiplayer game is a particularly annoying waste of time as well. It's a shame they can't give you something to do e.g. in an online race, let you drive a ghost car around so you can get some driving practice in.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing dragging Fallout 4 down for me was its plot pacing. If you follow the main questline, you find out in the first thirty minutes that you need to go to a place. 90% of the remaining main quests are trying to get to this place and then you're super stoked to go to some final showdown, but instead you're hit in the face with the most anticlimactic ending scene ever. With like no fanfare. It felt like the team writing the main story were about halfway through before realizing they were missing quarter wing night so they wrote "and then the game ends", grabbed their coats, and ran out of the office never to return.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Danger Mahoney posted:

The thing dragging Fallout 4 down for me was its plot pacing. If you follow the main questline, you find out in the first thirty minutes that you need to go to a place. 90% of the remaining main quests are trying to get to this place and then you're super stoked to go to some final showdown, but instead you're hit in the face with the most anticlimactic ending scene ever. With like no fanfare. It felt like the team writing the main story were about halfway through before realizing they were missing quarter wing night so they wrote "and then the game ends", grabbed their coats, and ran out of the office never to return.

More like ran the rest of the story over to the DLC wing of Bethesda most probably due to the colossally complex nature of the game, and the classic game-designed consideration that most people don't finish games. I mean I'm with you 100%, but fallout three at this point essentially ends differentialy than how reviews at the time reflect; because it comes bundled with the post-game dlc that is now part of the overall experience.

I mean i never played it but that's my two cents and it sounds like a very valid thing for this thread.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Fallout 3 ending DLC was literally made due to the huge backlash against the original ending. There's no way it was a planned thing.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Dragons age Inquistions has committed an unpardonable crime, even if it does allow you to color every piece of cloth your entire party wears into yellow plaid for some reason.

There are ten huge zones in game that you fight your way through doin bioware stuff and having a lot of fun. Through these zones are all kinds of quests, but usually one big over-arching one with a big bad and the big conflict of the zone. When you finish these zones you fight the local badass and are showered in cutscenes and decisions showing your awesomeness. You sit in your giant-rear end customizable throne and pass judgements over these bosses like, well, a loving boss. Then your trophies start popping.

Well god drat if I didn't get to the end of the 5th zone of the game and start fighting the boss. He was tough as hell but I was up to it. Then he fell down, and then levitated away over a hill where I chased him for a long time, through a dragon and all kinds of other poo poo.

A dozen hours later there is a death animation, a cutscene, judgements, trophies, overall enormous satisfaction of completing the long cap-stone quest for the entire zone: all of this was supposed to happen when that boss died. He did not fly away to the next zone as I believed, he flew away with my desire to ever play this game again. Oh and it's a known glitch since launch and has not been fixed yet or maybe never will but that information will never effect my life again lol.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

There was a well in the center of town. I had a ton of souls on me and didn't want to spend or lose them yet. I figure: Let's jump down the well. If I succeed and there's some bullshit down there, I can always teleport home. No problem. If I die horribly, my souls will be safe at the TOP of the well, the last piece of solid ground I touched before dying. No risk!

I very nearly almost died from the first drop. Wow! I drank up to full and died dropping to the 2nd furthest down platform.

Now my souls were on that first platform halfway down the well and I have got to go get them. Okay well I know it's possible let me just jump down there. And die. They took that 2% off my life and that was the 2% that kept me alive the first time. Huge souls cache lost. Perfect logic every step of the way, it was safe as houses, but I never took into account what happens if I partially succeed, and I didn't know about the health decay.

This is your own fault for thinking you should jump down a giant pit while you have tons of souls

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This is your own fault for thinking you should jump down a giant pit while you have tons of souls

There's not exactly a souls bank you can store them safely. At some point if you can't afford the thing you want you're going to have to jump down a huge pit to see if there's more souls down there.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Not much in Dark Souls 2 is actually all that expensive, including level-ups, so you probably didn't have too many souls.

eta: And bosses drop loads of souls, usually enough to buy anything you would need in a single shot. So like, if you want the Silvercat Ring, don't try grinding out regular hollows for that, just wait until you kill a boss and you'll be fine.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Mar 26, 2016

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Nuebot posted:

FF14 still using a subscription system drags it down for me. I'd be all over that game if it didn't.

Conversely, games with F2P or pseudo-F2P systems really make me not want to try it. Sure Guild Wars 2, I'll happily have 5 months worth of only new cash shop cosmetics. Sure The Old Republic, I'll happily not be able to loving run without spending money.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jetamo posted:

Sure The Old Republic, I'll happily not be able to loving run without spending money.

Oh man seriously that's brutal why would they think that was a good idea

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

More like ran the rest of the story over to the DLC wing of Bethesda most probably due to the colossally complex nature of the game, and the classic game-designed consideration that most people don't finish games. I mean I'm with you 100%, but fallout three at this point essentially ends differentialy than how reviews at the time reflect; because it comes bundled with the post-game dlc that is now part of the overall experience.

I mean i never played it but that's my two cents and it sounds like a very valid thing for this thread.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Fallout 4 is certainly complex, insofar as its a horrible monstrosity of an engine that runs like garbage, but all the choices that make the game poo poo (inept Mass Effect dialogue wheel ripoff, boring and bland town building, story full of insipid losers you don't care about and the story itself is crap and stupid) are all pure Bethesda that we know and love/hate in all their games since Oblivion.

About the only system that is actually enjoyable to some degree is combat and the customization behind it. And they even gently caress that system up by having everything focused on boring "pipe" guns that still don't really go too wild with the guns.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Moon Monster posted:

How far did you get? That game takes until level 25-30 for you to accumulate enough skills for the combat speed to really make any sense. It's still slower than typical games of that genre though.

28ish. I think I got to...Costa Del Sol as a thief. I loved the story and the characters but combat just didn't feel like it was keeping my attention for long enough. A shame as it feels like one big passion project otherwise.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

poptart_fairy posted:

28ish. I think I got to...Costa Del Sol as a thief. I loved the story and the characters but combat just didn't feel like it was keeping my attention for long enough. A shame as it feels like one big passion project otherwise.

I ragequit twice over the goddamn Sylph quests. All I'm doing is running back and forth babysitting these little assholes

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Jetamo posted:

Conversely, games with F2P or pseudo-F2P systems really make me not want to try it. Sure Guild Wars 2, I'll happily have 5 months worth of only new cash shop cosmetics. Sure The Old Republic, I'll happily not be able to loving run without spending money.

Only cosmetics in the cash shop is perfect free to play the way I see it. The new Counterstrike isn't free because that would totally gently caress the matchmaking but its always low and always on sale. Anyway valve roll around in money from the weapon skins, stickers you can put on the weapons etc. The balance of the game remains more or less what it should be.

On the other hand most of the free to play poo poo i've been in has been disgusting with the amount of pay for power. Like when you get to end game in something made by cryptic you see peeps who have spent thousands on their toons who are minimum 60% more powerful in every respect than you and they're who you fight in pvp. In APB they had a secondary weapon that was stronger than some primary weapons for months but it only came out of gamble boxes.

The Old Republic with its spend or suffer model was hilarious though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jetamo posted:

Sure The Old Republic, I'll happily not be able to loving run without spending money.

wat

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

One of the things dragging down FF14 for me was having to sell things to other players via the market board. You have to do that to make even remotely decent money because NPC shops pay next to nothing for everything. It's the uncertainty of whether you would sell anything anything at all, whether you'd have to lower the price because of undercutters or lack of demand, and how long it would take to make a sale. It'd be great if they would seriously increase what NPC shops would pay so you could stay away from the MB unless you want to buy endgame gear, high quality stuff or rare items etc.

I should note that I quit 18 months ago so some of this could be well out of date.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pretty much the entire f2p market is built around annoying people into spending money by artificially limiting how they play, having to pay to be able to not slowly trundle everywhere is like the ultimate distillation of that.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much the entire f2p market is built around annoying people into spending money by artificially limiting how they play, having to pay to be able to not slowly trundle everywhere is like the ultimate distillation of that.

"How do we get people to pay for our games?"

"I know, let's hold the fun part for ransom!"

"Great idea!"

F2P game developers really, really love to give people Stockholm Syndrome.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is the TOR thing new because I've never spent a penny on that game and I could run last time I played a couple months ago.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It might actually be old, it was definitely a thing back when it originally went F2P. Might have changed since then.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jetamo posted:

I dunno, I liked the GW2 model because even without spending a dime I had a ton of colors and stuff I could use to play dress up and all the fancy cosmetic shop armor looked like you were tarred and feathered. The only thing the shop really limited was the stupid cosmetic pet things which were really ugly anyway, and the only cool ones were drops from raid bosses. It sure beats paying for a game constantly whether or not you actually play it and then having to negotiate whatever bullshit they put in place to make cancelling your subscription a pain in the rear end.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I think the "we only sell hats and cosmetic items" is definitely the best way for a f2p-with-microtransactions game to go, as long as there's enough dev time to actually update the game at the same time as they work on releasing more hats.

Although you need the sort of game where people will care about buying hats, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
[quote="Krinkle" post=""457889730"].

I fundamentally can't understand why they don't let you be a class "in need" as many times as possible a day. If there's nothing in it for people nobody will queue up to heal/tank and the lines back up anyway. There's like four tank classes, three healers and thirty DPS types so everything is backed up all to poo poo and leveling a ninja is basically a hell ordeal of waiting for your number to get called.
[/quote]

You CAN get ain as many times as you want, wtf. It literally says in the duty finder "The 'adventurer in need' reward is always available "