Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
are you trying to get fresh me with some tepid linux burns, here? ratbert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
linux games only work with nvidia drivers

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

are you trying to get fresh me with some tepid linux burns, here? ratbert?

Maybe :allears:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

linux games only work with nvidia drivers

talos principal works well with amd's beta vulkan drivers and amd's cards easily keep up with nvidia when their garbage opengl stack isn't in the way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

talos principal works well with amd's beta vulkan drivers and amd's cards easily keep up with nvidia when their garbage opengl stack isn't in the way

ok so one title works on linux without nvidia, good to know

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am excited about vulkan, too, but for the forseeable future, nvidia + opengl will remain rly important to a reasonable linux desktop experience

i am hoping here in 2-4 years amd will be a competitor

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
talos principle also happens to be the best game

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Smythe posted:

no dude it was ubuntu gnome with the right drivers. the ones gaben told me to install.

ubuntu anything is not the right thing for anything pls install fedora

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Celexi posted:

ubuntu anything is not the right thing for anything pls install fedora

its the gaben approved one for steam i thot

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Smythe posted:

its the gaben approved one for steam i thot

You can use even an utterly poo poo distro for that, like Arch. Just install Fedora or your distro of choice that is not Debian or Ubuntu.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am excited about vulkan, too, but for the forseeable future, nvidia + opengl will remain rly important to a reasonable linux desktop experience

i am hoping here in 2-4 years amd will be a competitor

in 2-4 years amd will be a division of intel or get bought by an arbitrary large tech company that suddenly needs to sell a tangible product

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

weren't you the guy who literally couldn't install the nvidia drivers on Fedora, which is like 2 lines of console commands to do?

that was me. and it's hard to do when the os is just broken poo poo with the included drivers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

that was me. and it's hard to do when the os is just broken poo poo with the included drivers.

Lol you literally have to smash ctrl alt f2 and type two lines and reboot.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what wrong with debain? why fedora good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

what wrong with debain? why fedora good

Debian maintainers are often times idiots and mess with packages in odd or bad ways.

Fedora is good because its backed by Red Hat, focuses on security and is stock as far as I can tell.

Also SELinux and firewalld are enabled by default which is cool and good.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Lol you literally have to smash ctrl alt f2 and type two lines and reboot.

maybe u should write a guide on it then
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
this thread's recommendation is why I picked CentOS for a Linux VPS I was spinning up

(after some cursory investigation into whether I could just use Solaris 11.3…)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Somebody did for me.

http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

bug report: selecting the fedora server minimum install, and instructing it to install "text-based web browsers", "editors", and other add-on packages, does not install any web browsers, editors, or add-on packages, leaving it useless when you have to have a web browser to auth the wifi you're using

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

OK no matter what media I try and how I tell it to install, fedora ends up installing a broken, less-than-minimal system with no network connectivity whatsoever and no apparent ability to get any.

there's no loving tracert, let alone any web browsers or anything approximating anything useful.

and I can't get it to install any of the packages it should've from the install media, because it can't synchronize the cache for the Fedora repo it can't reach because it won't let me install the packages I need to let it reach that repo

who the gently caress told me to use fedora

edit: I think maybe the problem is that dnf won't work at all if it can't connect to the repo, even if the packages are stored locally? so it just gives up and leaves a system without any packages?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I fixed it by authing my phone on the WiFi and turning on USB tethering for the computer so that the local installer could figure out that the concept of packages exists

2016 is the year of Linux on the desktop.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

atomicthumbs posted:

OK no matter what media I try and how I tell it to install, fedora ends up installing a broken, less-than-minimal system with no network connectivity whatsoever and no apparent ability to get any.

there's no loving tracert, let alone any web browsers or anything approximating anything useful.

and I can't get it to install any of the packages it should've from the install media, because it can't synchronize the cache for the Fedora repo it can't reach because it won't let me install the packages I need to let it reach that repo

who the gently caress told me to use fedora

edit: I think maybe the problem is that dnf won't work at all if it can't connect to the repo, even if the packages are stored locally? so it just gives up and leaves a system without any packages?

tracert is windows, traceroute is linux

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Apocadall posted:

tracert is windows, traceroute is linux

the best is mtr

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Guys guys guys. This incredibly niche thing I am doing where I have no GUI at all on my Desktop isn't working well. Clearly all of Linux on the Desktop is broken.

Why the gently caress are you trying to use Fedora as a server and not CentOS?

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 26, 2016

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

I fixed it by authing my phone on the WiFi and turning on USB tethering for the computer so that the local installer could figure out that the concept of packages exists

2016 is the year of Linux on the desktop.

the desktop images install just fine without a net connection

maybe don't download the minimal network install image when you need to jump through hoops to connect to the network?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The_Franz posted:

the desktop images install just fine without a net connection

maybe don't download the minimal network install image when you need to jump through hoops to connect to the network?

I downloaded the 2gb "fedora server" image, not the net install image. I did this because all I needed was a text mode thing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

and yeah the desktop image installs great if you love KDE or whatever

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What the gently caress? Stock Fedora is gnome. You have no idea what you are doing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm the wifi connection on a server

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm not running a dang server, and yeah I don't know what DE it uses because I stopped installing it when I saw it wouldn't let me do it without one.

I'm installing Linux for the sole reason of running some poo poo that needs Torch, and the fact that the package management system just completely shits the bed if it can't sync to a repo is hilarious.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
well I've had no problems using it on computers with no internet connection so idk what you're doing wrong but I don't think it's linux's fault

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
oh wait no I was using centos, because I didn't expect the bleeding edge desktop distro for desktop users on the desktop to be a suitable choice for a non-desktop use case

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

this thread's recommendation is why I picked CentOS for a Linux VPS I was spinning up

(after some cursory investigation into whether I could just use Solaris 11.3…)

i can't recommend solaris for any purpose

solaris 11 in particular is a hot mess. it's the remnants of opensolaris hastily bolted together by people who had one foot out the door.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

atomicthumbs posted:

and yeah the desktop image installs great if you love KDE or whatever

yeah i think fedora should switch to gnome default!!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ok i can see That Thing is happening where a linux user, angry because linux isn't working correctly, inspires anger in a linux defender, angry because the user must be doing something wrong.

I decided to shrink my Windows partition on my desktop computer by 15gb and install Linux. I need the Linux to do two things:
  • Support OpenCL on my AMD GPU so that I can run Torch and associated machine learning software that uses it.
  • Reverse SSH into my VPS so I can also use said software while I'm not sitting in front of it.

I use reverse SSH, in this case, because I live in a dorm and use the dorm wifi. I have no wired network option (and believe me I'd loving like one).

I've used Debian and various derivatives since the mid-2000s, but I've read about people using Fedora lately (especially in this thread). I asked what I should use and people said Fedora.

I downloaded the Fedora Workstation image and booted it. It worked well, but offered no ability to select how I wanted to install it, and I'm not a big fan of GNOME (and didn't recognize it as such; I haven't used a desktop computer with linux since Kubuntu with KDE3, which worked great when I had a Pentium 3 laptop with 64mb of ram) and didn't really need a desktop environment anyway, so I downloaded the Fedora Server image.

The dorm wifi needs a username and password put in to authorize its users, because it's stupid. It redirects the first web page loaded so the only way to get internet access is to use a web browser.

"Hmm, that'll be fine, I'm installing from local media anyway," I thought.

Except no matter how I instructed the installer to install it (I tried with various permutations of "minimal install" and "Fedora Server"), I ended up with a system with no packages installed, and DNF spat out an error whenever I tried to use it about not being able to synchronize the package cache with the Fedora repo. The packages were there on the drive, but DNF refused to install them from the files, too, because it didn't have internet access to synchronize with the repo.

Eventually I managed to get it working by connecting to the wifi through my phone. I realized that it would be a bit of a pain in the rear end to try to cope with this poo poo without a desktop environment, so I used the newly expanded and internet-connected list to install it with LXQt.

It worked fine until I tried to install the Linux drivers for my video card from AMD's website, following their instructions, and after a reboot it no longer boots in normal or recovery mode, so the point is moot.

i'm thinking of installing debian

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

atomicthumbs posted:

ok i can see That Thing is happening where a linux user, angry because linux isn't working correctly, inspires anger in a linux defender, angry because the user must be doing something wrong.

I decided to shrink my Windows partition on my desktop computer by 15gb and install Linux. I need the Linux to do two things:
  • Support OpenCL on my AMD GPU so that I can run Torch and associated machine learning software that uses it.
  • Reverse SSH into my VPS so I can also use said software while I'm not sitting in front of it.

I use reverse SSH, in this case, because I live in a dorm and use the dorm wifi. I have no wired network option (and believe me I'd loving like one).

I've used Debian and various derivatives since the mid-2000s, but I've read about people using Fedora lately (especially in this thread). I asked what I should use and people said Fedora.

I downloaded the Fedora Workstation image and booted it. It worked well, but offered no ability to select how I wanted to install it, and I'm not a big fan of GNOME (and didn't recognize it as such; I haven't used a desktop computer with linux since Kubuntu with KDE3, which worked great when I had a Pentium 3 laptop with 64mb of ram) and didn't really need a desktop environment anyway, so I downloaded the Fedora Server image.

The dorm wifi needs a username and password put in to authorize its users, because it's stupid. It redirects the first web page loaded so the only way to get internet access is to use a web browser.

"Hmm, that'll be fine, I'm installing from local media anyway," I thought.

Except no matter how I instructed the installer to install it (I tried with various permutations of "minimal install" and "Fedora Server"), I ended up with a system with no packages installed, and DNF spat out an error whenever I tried to use it about not being able to synchronize the package cache with the Fedora repo. The packages were there on the drive, but DNF refused to install them from the files, too, because it didn't have internet access to synchronize with the repo.

Eventually I managed to get it working by connecting to the wifi through my phone. I realized that it would be a bit of a pain in the rear end to try to cope with this poo poo without a desktop environment, so I used the newly expanded and internet-connected list to install it with LXQt.

It worked fine until I tried to install the Linux drivers for my video card from AMD's website, following their instructions, and after a reboot it no longer boots in normal or recovery mode, so the point is moot.

i'm thinking of installing debian

did you try double clicking the rpm files or running the rpm command instead of dnf m8

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

I need the Linux to do two things:

[...]

this isn't going to pan out for you. you started with the wrong hardware. amd/ati has never worked well under linux. probably never will.

buy an nvidia card, or a xeon phi.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
youre goign to have a lot of trouble with getting wifi running without a gui

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

youre goign to have a lot of trouble with getting wifi running without a gui

believe me I tried Arch for a little while once on a testing laptop for interfacing with old computer poo poo and I loving know

(that's the main reason I installed LXQt)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys I didn't do any research and tried to use a desktop OS as a server and the package manager got upset because it was set to find packages on the internet and it couldn't find packages without the internet.

Now that I am angry, I will go back to my full GUI experience on Windows and bitch about how a desktop OS built for the desktop is bad without the desktop.