Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Tortuga posted:

I'm a little worried that lightning won't be able to strike twice in this case.

what's it like to be like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Official press release

quote:

"Thursday, March 24, 2016

Popular Anime Series To Premiere on Network’s Toonami Block

Cue Anime Fans Worldwide Going Insane

Adult Swim, a division of Turner, is proud to announce an official sequel to one of the most beloved anime series of all time - FLCL (pronounced Fooly Cooly). Created in 2000, FLCL told the tale of Naota, a 12-year-old boy who met a woman that would forever change his life…whether he liked it or not. 16 years later, Adult Swim and legendary animation studio, Production I.G (Ghost in the Shell), are creating two new six-episode seasons to continue the tale, which will premiere in Adult Swim’s Toonami block. Known for its surprising and unique content with high fan engagement, Adult Swim has been basic cable’s #1 Network in the U.S. with 18-24 and 18-34 year olds for eleven consecutive years. The new season of FLCL adds to Adult Swim’s ever expanding portfolio of original programming.

“The original FLCL is an anime classic and has been a fixture on Adult Swim since we first laid eyes on it,” said Jason DeMarco, senior vice president/creative director, Adult Swim On-Air. “I’m beyond thrilled to be able to produce a sequel with the original creators, for Toonami, where it belongs.”

Back for the new season is FLCL series creator Kazuya Tsurumaki, serving as supervisor with director Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass) and character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Neon Genesis Evangelion). Also joining this season is writer Hideto Iwai (Last Dinner).

Established in 1987, Production I.G has since produced a number of acclaimed feature films and TV shows, and has also partnered with Mamoru Oshii on every one of his animated films since Patlabor: The Movie (1989), thereby earning an international admiration which eventually led to the visionary collaboration with Quentin Tarantino for the animation sequence in his hit, Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003). They are most known for the Ghost in the Shell franchise, and for the acclaimed animated TV series Psycho-pass and Attack on Titan.

“FLCL has become an anime classic over the years, yet it has remained vibrant,” said Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, co-founder, president and CEO of Production I.G. “This new season will capture the hearts of both longtime FLCL fans from around the world and new anime viewers.”

In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

But why did Haruko return to Earth?
What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota?
And where did the human-type robot ‘Canti’ go?

All of these questions and more will be answered in the new season of the series, which is set to premiere in late 2017/early 2018 on Adult Swim.

Good to hear that Tsurumaki is on board, I heard that he wasn't interested in a new season for the longest time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

El Tortuga posted:

I'm a little worried that lightning won't be able to strike twice in this case.

I don't really feel like lightning struck once in this case.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think DeMarco over values FLCL somewhat and sort of forgets part of the appeal of that show is that it's one british miniseries and then it's done.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Official press release

Good to hear that Tsurumaki is on board, I heard that he wasn't interested in a new season for the longest time.

He's looking for that sweet US anime fan dosh.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I'm excited. FLCL was amazing. And it sounds like these two seasons will both be self-contained stories separate from each other and the original series, except for Haruko.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

All I need to know is if The Pillows are doing the music.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Electric Phantasm posted:

All I need to know is if The Pillows are doing the music.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

God is real

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Moving away from anime chat for a bit...

MrSlam posted:

I just wanted to say real quick, I love Clarence. I mean, I really really love Clarence.
You and me both, buddy. It's charming, cute, and funny.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Based on this thread's talk I watched some Miraculous Ladybug, and found to my distress that it was not good. Formulaic and full of stock characters (are we really still doing "the 'Popular' Cheerleader Who No Actual Human Being Would Ever Like Because She Is A Literal Sociopath" in 2016?), even if the animation is different and pretty.

I also started watching Wander Over Yonder based on this thread's talk and found that it was in fact good. I really appreciate all the different ways things work out instead of just having Wander be right all the time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Dear creators of Amazing World of Gumball: please do more episodes where the mom gets scary. TIA

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rand Brittain posted:

Based on this thread's talk I watched some Miraculous Ladybug, and found to my distress that it was not good. Formulaic and full of stock characters (are we really still doing "the 'Popular' Cheerleader Who No Actual Human Being Would Ever Like Because She Is A Literal Sociopath" in 2016?), even if the animation is different and pretty.

I also started watching Wander Over Yonder based on this thread's talk and found that it was in fact good. I really appreciate all the different ways things work out instead of just having Wander be right all the time.

Yeah, Chloe is the low-point, though at least she's not popular in any way, just the mayor's daughter that nobody likes. I think in this case it's a cultural thing because the show's creator ran a poll wondering if she's even more hateable as the same character from Totally Spies and another french cartoon, he seemed pleased with the results. Which really sucks because every time I see her kind of character in a superhero setting I keep seeing references to Flash Thompson, who, y'know, eventually explained why he was so much of a jerk and eventually became one of Peter's closest friends.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rand Brittain posted:

I like the Wander Over Yonder where he goes to the planet of bad guys and thugs to try to get fuel. Normally the setup would have involved him lying about his accomplishments and getting caught out, and it starts that way when he claims to be wanted. Then he RIPS A GUYS CHEST HAIR OFF to draw said poster on it, leads the entire bar on a mad, destructive chase through the city and by the time he gets to the big bad guys mansion his reputation on that planet is cemented as a complete psychopath who cannot be predicted and all the things people are attributing to him are things that he has ACTUALLY DONE in the episode. Just because he was having so much fun playing the villain :kimchi:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Applewhite posted:

Dear creators of Amazing World of Gumball: please do more episodes where the mom gets scary. TIA

Lol at the grocery store one

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

frank.club posted:

Lol at the grocery store one

Easily my fav ep. My wife really empathizes with her for some reason.

"You should run!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This episode of Clarence is good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

This episode of Clarence is good.

This other episode of Clarence is also good. The teacher is cool.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This other episode of Clarence is also good. The teacher is cool.
I like how every character on Clarence is a decent person underneath their quirks (except for Belson, who's a little poo poo). It's rare to see teachers in kids' shows portrayed as being as human as everyone else.

For last week's episode: does John DiMaggio voice Sumo's dad? I hear a bit of Jake with a Southern drawl when I hear him speak. I searched for the answer to no avail, but I did learn that Tom Kenny voices Sumo. He's definitely got range.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/03/24/first-look-netflix-voltron-animated-series/82174790/

Dreamworks is bringing the anime into Voltron. Look like it'll be interesting and at the very least GORGEOUS.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/03/24/first-look-netflix-voltron-animated-series/82174790/

Dreamworks is bringing the anime into Voltron. Look like it'll be interesting and at the very least GORGEOUS.

Joaquin Dos Santos is a very good sign, that guy is an excellent director.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Whoa they are just gonna drop every episode on June 10th? Regardless that last line about how Voltron won't be the answer to everything is cool and I'm interested.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Whoa they are just gonna drop every episode on June 10th? Regardless that last line about how Voltron won't be the answer to everything is cool and I'm interested.

That's how they do it, all at once.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Someone on the new Voltron team loves them some GaoGaiGar and I love them right back for it.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Aww. The new Clarence had a not so subtle Secret of NIMH reference.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"Bringing the anime"... into an anime? Is this like some kind of animeception because it's blowing my mind, man.

I hope they give absolutely no fucks and make it hyperviolent like the original anime that Voltron was cut-and-pasted from.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Having now seen the shorts they've put out for the PPG reboot, I can say I'm fairly excited for it. The animation feels like it needs refining but the humor seems pretty on-target.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So this is a dumb question but do Toei actauly do anything on Ladybug now other than take up space on the credits? I know they have a 3DCG arm (they did Expelled from Paradise IIRC) but I can't imagine they'd be willing to not animate on the 3's like every other CG anime production wants to do.

raditts posted:

"Bringing the anime"... into an anime? Is this like some kind of animeception because it's blowing my mind, man.

I hope they give absolutely no fucks and make it hyperviolent like the original anime that Voltron was cut-and-pasted from.

If it gets to be Digimon Tamers / Shinzo TV-7 (largely achived by everyone on the team being "gently caress it, we're going out with a bang" then cool.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 26, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ConanThe3rd posted:

So this is a dumb question but do Toei actauly do anything on Ladybug now other than take up space on the credits? I know they have a 3DCG arm (they did Expelled from Paradise IIRC) but I can't imagine they'd be willing to not animate on the 3's like every other CG anime production wants to do.

They're doing an OVA for the show because it got popular, at least. They might handle the japanese dub if there is one.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just got caught up on Gumball.

The episode with the Hotdog was the best. I lost it at the part where they added the "doot, do doot, do doot, do doot" to their already agonizing hug routine.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They're not even hiding the fact that Jeff's voice actor's voice is changing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I guess they all can't be as subtle as Clarence's change.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This thread and the TTG thread got me to watch Gumball, which I had mentally discarded for no particular reason. Still not finished, and I been watching some newer episodes randomly to get a feel for where the show is now as opposed to at launch, but what an enjoyable show with some really unexpected references.

Edit: Based on a suggestion I watched the episode called The Shell and holey moley that was really good.

Second Edit: How is the show doing, anyway? It slipped completely under my radar which hopefully means I'm just out of it and not that it's unpopular, because it looks like a good show (and I've been enjoying the more recent episodes that I've seen even more than the earlier episodes)

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 30, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Gaunab posted:

They're not even hiding the fact that Jeff's voice actor's voice is changing.

Jeff's got the same VA, he's just older and going through puberty

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Interesting that they cast a boy for Jeff's voice actor but two adults to voice Clarence and Sumo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Jeff's got the same VA, he's just older and going through puberty

That's what I meant. You can hear his voice breaking and stuff.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CuddlyZombie posted:

This thread and the TTG thread got me to watch Gumball, which I had mentally discarded for no particular reason. Still not finished, and I been watching some newer episodes randomly to get a feel for where the show is now as opposed to at launch, but what an enjoyable show with some really unexpected references.

Edit: Based on a suggestion I watched the episode called The Shell and holey moley that was really good.

Second Edit: How is the show doing, anyway? It slipped completely under my radar which hopefully means I'm just out of it and not that it's unpopular, because it looks like a good show (and I've been enjoying the more recent episodes that I've seen even more than the earlier episodes)

The Limit is my favorite episode, The Job is a close second. Both are very excellent.
The Colossus is another great ep with some really top notch animation.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Gaunab posted:

That's what I meant. You can hear his voice breaking and stuff.

It's always a gamble to cast actual boys since their voices change so much more dramatically than girls' do. The only cartoon I can think of that handled shifting kid VOs kinda gracefully was Hey Arnold.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Thompsons posted:

It's always a gamble to cast actual boys since their voices change so much more dramatically than girls' do. The only cartoon I can think of that handled shifting kid VOs kinda gracefully was Hey Arnold.

Adventure Time worked with this by having Finn age alongside his VA. Except Finn's high-pitched scream is all old audio because there's no way he can do that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Steven Universe's VA has also kinda deepened a bit as the series went on, but I think he was already in his teens when the show started.

And then Gumball just went all meta about it, which is a fine way to go.