Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

BMB5150 posted:

Kimi Raikkonen has been linked to go to NASCAR with SHR next year

Wait, WHAT?! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
why would harvick leave SHR

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Alain Post posted:

why would harvick leave SHR

Allegedly because he's a big loving idiot who's tribal about manufacturers and doesn't want to run a Ford. A Brand-Slut as they're known.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i really hope he's not that stupid, the guy is one of the best drivers in the world rn

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this would be the dumbest NASCAR moment since DW left Junior because he suddenly decided that beer sponsorship was devil worshiping or some poo poo

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
^^^^
You guys are being a little short sighted I think. 1) You're acting like he'd be crazy to leave SHR, when you know that he's going to get a ride with Hendrick. That's not exactly a step down. 2) Yea, he may be a brand-slut, but he is a brand in and of himself. The Harvick brand is pretty closely tied to Chevy, and he could be thinking that his brand/appeal will take a hit if he changes manufacturers. How can he possibly sell Fords convincingly when he's made an entire career selling Chevys? True, lots of drivers change manufacturers, but few are tied directly into the blood of the manufacturer. Can you imagine either of the Earnhardts suddenly trying to sell you Ford Quality? Or Jack Roush running Chevys? I think Harvick views himself, and his career, as tied very directly to the Chevy brand. An interesting comparison here is Stewart. In his last year at JGR he was running a Toyota, and that marriage (besides the fact that he was moving over to SHR) was clearly awkward. Stewart wasn't a Toyota guy, no one believed him when he was shilling about the quality ride of a Camry. I remember thinking that he clearly happy to be going back to a Chevy product. The point is that these are still car guys, and car guys can be crazy brand loyal and it's genuine. 3) Speaking of manufacturers, we all seem to be just assuming that going to Ford is a good move for SHR. I have nothing against Ford, and my next personal car will likely be a Ford (if my wife let's me, I'm still dreaming of a 5.0 Mustang), but their recent on track history has been almost all negative. Yes, this year they have shown improvement, but between the three manufacturers they are definitely still a distant 3rd.

BMB5150 posted:

He had one good year his first year but time is ticking and also doesn't help rumors of Harvick coming in and taking his ride. Doesn't help today Kimi Raikkonen has been linked to go to NASCAR with SHR next year which gets more pressure on Kahne who is starting off the season pretty terribly.

I agree. Kahne was the next big thing for about ten minutes, and then proceeded to fall flat on his face. I mean this in all seriousness, he may be the unluckiest driver in the garage. How many times have we seen him having a good/solid day, running some place between 5th and 15th, only to have it all go away late in the race? It's happened enough that I know that we comment on it as "typical Kahne luck" in the race day chats. I agree that we all hope that he'll see a career 2nd act like Jr, but unfortunately I think he's an even longer shot than Jr was. At this point, Kahne's stock is so low, and he brings so little to the table, and his resume so thin, that it is a hard sell to sponsors that he is worth the investment. Kahne is probably the latest, greatest, example of what Jr was always too keenly aware of during the dark seasons, that he was given extra chances because of who he was. At similar points in their careers, Kahne is on the verge of being fired while Jr was having the war chest thrown at him to find the combination that worked.

Every day that Harvick doesn't re-sign the pressure will build on Kahne to preform. In fact, even if Kahne gets hot and makes the Chase, if Harvick is free I think Hendrick will make the change regardless.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 25, 2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think Harvick would leave SHR because he's probably not the stupidest person in the world.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Harvick is not leaving while he can run top 3 every race. No driver has done that in decades
You stay in a winning car

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i suppose there is some logic in leaving for hendrick, if possible

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

be nice wicka posted:

i suppose there is some logic in leaving for hendrick, if possible

You'd think making your own chassis might take a hit on being Hendrick quality and I can see Harvick wants to stay in a proven good ride by going to Hendrick.

And whoever went what!? to the Raikkonen rumor, some guy in autoweek is reporting this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

HMS: Harvick, Elliott (I had to stop and think about who was in the 24), Jimmiebot, Junyer
SHR: Larson/Kahne/Raikkonen, Patrick, Bowyer, Kurt Busch

SHR needs Harvick more than Harvick needs SHR. Without him, you have (probably) Kyle Larson (loads of potential but nothing to show for it yet), Clint Bowyer (irrelevant in the last few years except for an itchy arm), Kurt Busch (probably the best driver on the team), and Danica Goddamn Patrick. I'd figure Kimi winds up in NXS or CWTS to start.

Am I saying Harvick should leave? No. Is there a chance he's going to? He's already in "I'm committed to this amazing race team and my great sponsors" mode. Wouldn't surprise me.

Alain Post posted:

this would be the dumbest NASCAR moment since DW left Junior because he suddenly decided that beer sponsorship was devil worshiping or some poo poo

Or when DW left Hendrick because he wanted to do it all himself, including engines.

SpitztheGreat posted:

An interesting comparison here is Stewart. In his last year at JGR he was running a Toyota, and that marriage (besides the fact that he was moving over to SHR) was clearly awkward. Stewart wasn't a Toyota guy, no one believed him when he was shilling about the quality ride of a Camry. I remember thinking that he clearly happy to be going back to a Chevy product.

What's interesting is that this is happening because SHR is leaving Chevy.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

My dad used to work with a big NASCAR fan that knew somebody in the biz (we think he drove a hauler but can't remember). We ended up with a used tire at one point which twelve-year-old me remembers fondly. Anyway, Dad was going through random crap today and found these decals in an envelope from the Bobby Dotter Fan Club. Also in there was a Jasper #77 Bobby Hillin Jr license plate.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Quantrill posted:

My dad used to work with a big NASCAR fan that knew somebody in the biz (we think he drove a hauler but can't remember). We ended up with a used tire at one point which twelve-year-old me remembers fondly. Anyway, Dad was going through random crap today and found these decals in an envelope from the Bobby Dotter Fan Club. Also in there was a Jasper #77 Bobby Hillin Jr license plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dK-g8cv9oM

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

https://youtu.be/ipbGsHL1oZw?t=24

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
K&N East isn't broadcast live anywhere is it? I wanna see Bowman Gray

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Dippel gonna win it anyway

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

"...I'm gonna try to refuckulate it and land on Juniper."

Always funny.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

LordPants posted:

K&N East isn't broadcast live anywhere is it? I wanna see Bowman Gray

Last year it was tape delayed on NBC sports. LP put up the Bowman Gray race on his youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4V8Ua7gTA

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Doesn't help today Kimi Raikkonen has been linked to go to NASCAR with SHR next year

I don't know.

If I were Kimi's shoes...the better move would be to swipe Juan's seat at Penske (who is likely driving for Porsche in WEC) run IndyCar for 2-3 seasons, and then give Cup a go.

I don't mean that as a slam towards going to Cup or anything. But I think it's better if he uses it as an eventual steppingstone towards running stock cars.

He also has a few more good years in him, and I think he'd be a serious threat to win Indianapolis. He could very easily cross that off his check list and then run Cup/Rally, etc for lulz.

Not to mention? Dude could easily be a Road Course ringer for Roger during those seasons. He could run the glen, sears point, mid ohio, road america, etc. Giving him more seat time to prepare to be actually competitive in Cup versus being mediocre to bad in it.

I'm not saying this as a "DURR INDYCAR" fan. I'm saying this as a Kimi fan. Much rather see him get a few Indy wins before devoting himself to Cup full time. Think that'd be awesome to see.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

is JPM really expected to leave penske?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

is JPM really expected to leave penske?

I'm just guessing.

I think he wants to run the 100th and then pursue other things. I imagine his Indy career was very much based on wanting to feel satisfied about no longer being the "JET DRYER" guy in Cup.

Juan was flirting around Porsche at Lone Star Le Mans last year and that was the buzz.

It would DEFINITELY be a great move for both parties. They get a hell of a driver and he gets a shot at the Triple Crown.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i love kimi to death but i don't see him as being on the same level as montoya in terms of being competitive in various disciplines. he seems to enjoy non-F1 stuff but i really think his skillset is most suited for F1.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Junyer is going to donate his brain for research. Pretty cool.

https://www.twitter.com/DaleJr/status/713908370231730177

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That's pretty rad he's continuing to do all he can for hot brain

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I hope everyone remembers how good this makes them feel when he Benoit's his family one day

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know.

If I were Kimi's shoes...the better move would be to swipe Juan's seat at Penske (who is likely driving for Porsche in WEC) run IndyCar for 2-3 seasons, and then give Cup a go.

I don't mean that as a slam towards going to Cup or anything. But I think it's better if he uses it as an eventual steppingstone towards running stock cars.

He also has a few more good years in him, and I think he'd be a serious threat to win Indianapolis. He could very easily cross that off his check list and then run Cup/Rally, etc for lulz.

Not to mention? Dude could easily be a Road Course ringer for Roger during those seasons. He could run the glen, sears point, mid ohio, road america, etc. Giving him more seat time to prepare to be actually competitive in Cup versus being mediocre to bad in it.

I'm not saying this as a "DURR INDYCAR" fan. I'm saying this as a Kimi fan. Much rather see him get a few Indy wins before devoting himself to Cup full time. Think that'd be awesome to see.

I don't see how Indy is a steppingstone to running stock cars. Its been proven quite a bit over the last few years that doing well in one doesn't translate to doing well in the other. I would watch Kimi in either series though. I thought for sure he was going to lose his ride at Ferrari a couple years ago when they struggled so badly but now that Ferrari is competitive again it seems like Kimi still has it in him to compete with the best in F1 and it would certainly be interesting to see how he would fair in either series. I would definitely watch to see how he does running ovals at the very least if he went to Indy.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I hope everyone remembers how good this makes them feel when he Benoit's his family one day

Viking, I'm sure you could find a way for a chocolate cake or a basket full of puppies or kittens to be a disaster. There was no mental anguish or steroid abuse involved in the Benoit case, none whatsoever.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

I don't see how Indy is a steppingstone to running stock cars. Its been proven quite a bit over the last few years that doing well in one doesn't translate to doing well in the other. I would watch Kimi in either series though. I thought for sure he was going to lose his ride at Ferrari a couple years ago when they struggled so badly but now that Ferrari is competitive again it seems like Kimi still has it in him to compete with the best in F1 and it would certainly be interesting to see how he would fair in either series. I would definitely watch to see how he does running ovals at the very least if he went to Indy.

it's not a stepping stone in the sense that being successful on indycar ovals doesn't mean you'd be successful in nascar, but that's different from it being a useful transition for an F1 driver. but now that i'm thinking about it, only penske or ganassi could come close to affording him in indycar.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elitist Bitch posted:

Viking, I'm sure you could find a way for a chocolate cake or a basket full of puppies or kittens to be a disaster. There was no mental anguish or steroid abuse involved in the Benoit case, none whatsoever.

either that or it was a direct CTE joke considering Benoit used a flying headbutt regularly

also chocolate cake will give you diabetes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
These declassified FBI files are amazing.

https://archive.org/details/RalphDaleEarnhardtSr.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually the more I read that letter the more I'm not convinced it's like, VikingSkull's dad or something...

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

So which one of ya'll did that?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

bigbillystyle posted:

It just seems like a much more natural transition in a few ways. I think the opposite would also be true in regards to a Cup driver ever doing F1. When Gordon was contacted to race for BAR Honda back in the day? They pushed for him to run with Kool Green. He balked, and stuck with Cup.

You go to Cup, and you suck? sometimes your ego takes a hit and it doesn't quite recover for a while. If he ran Indy to kind of allow him to transition to running Cup? It'd be a good move in that regard.

I do agree with Wicka though. You're not going to get a former WDC to drive for any team that isn't Penske IMO. That's just fact.

Run IndyCar for 2-3 seasons. Run the Road Courses, Plate Tracks and a few select dates with Roger's team during that time, and then run Cup full time. That'd be my plan for him to be successful in Cup.

If he runs it full time? Yeah that won't end well for him.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 28, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

LordPants posted:

Actually the more I read that letter the more I'm not convinced it's like, VikingSkull's dad or something...

my dad was a huge Earnhardt fan so it ain't him

also have a fun article on why Smokey will never be in the HoF

when the media takes up his cause, then he'll get in....this is good

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Smokey posted:

The son and daughter of Bill Jr., I don’t know them. I’ve heard the daughter (Lesa France Kennedy) is sharp and the son is an rear end in a top hat. My boy Sam went to high school with Brian, and he seconded his rear end in a top hat rating.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

It just seems like a much more natural transition in a few ways. I think the opposite would also be true in regards to a Cup driver ever doing F1. When Gordon was contacted to race for BAR Honda back in the day? They pushed for him to run with Kool Green. He balked, and stuck with Cup.

You go to Cup, and you suck? sometimes your ego takes a hit and it doesn't quite recover for a while. If he ran Indy to kind of allow him to transition to running Cup? It'd be a good move in that regard.

I do agree with Wicka though. You're not going to get a former WDC to drive for any team that isn't Penske IMO. That's just fact.

Run IndyCar for 2-3 seasons. Run the Road Courses, Plate Tracks and a few select dates with Roger's team during that time, and then run Cup full time. That'd be my plan for him to be successful in Cup.

If he runs it full time? Yeah that won't end well for him.

this sounds like too much effort for kimi tbqh. america would love that guy though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I would be down for Kimi in nascar or Hinch in NASCAR doing a Kimi impression

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Seriously Kimi driving a car for Nemco was peak NASCAR

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VikingSkull posted:

my dad was a huge Earnhardt fan so it ain't him

also have a fun article on why Smokey will never be in the HoF

when the media takes up his cause, then he'll get in....this is good

Kim Jong France caved and basically told the voters to vote for Bruton. If he finds some benefit of putting Smokey on the ballot, it'll happen. Smokey's story and the war with France could make a great 30-for-30.

Did NASCAR buy up all the books or something? Barnes and Noble has it for $269.50, and it's even higher on Amazon. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kim Jong France caved and basically told the voters to vote for Bruton. If he finds some benefit of putting Smokey on the ballot, it'll happen. Smokey's story and the war with France could make a great 30-for-30.

Did NASCAR buy up all the books or something? Barnes and Noble has it for $269.50, and it's even higher on Amazon. :psyduck:

http://shop.carbonpressonline.com/product.sc?productId=10&categoryId=2

• Locked thread