Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is a Hotdog a Sandwich?
Yes, it's a Sandwich.
No, it's not a Sandwich.
View Results

• Locked thread
Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Hotdogs are the only true sandwiches. I have come to this believe purely to frustrate John Hodgman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Zzulu posted:

what happens if you blend the bread with the sausage? Like in a mixer? what then??

That's blurring the lines. Like if you put a sandwich in a blender is it still a sandwich or is it a smoothie?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

?????????

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

big pic

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
If you asked me if I wanted a sandwich and you served me a hotdog I would wonder why you didn't ask me if I wanted a hotdog.

It doesn't matter if a hotdog is technically a sandwich when a perfectly adequate word already exists for them. Same for burritos and calzones.

Subs and paninis are sandwiches but again, if you ask me if I want a sandwich and you show up with a panini or a sub, I'll wonder why you didn't use the more specific word for them.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Tumble posted:

If you asked me if I wanted a sandwich and you served me a hotdog I would wonder why you didn't ask me if I wanted a hotdog.

It doesn't matter if a hotdog is technically a sandwich when a perfectly adequate word already exists for them. Same for burritos and calzones.

Subs and paninis are sandwiches but again, if you ask me if I want a sandwich and you show up with a panini or a sub, I'll wonder why you didn't use the more specific word for them.

Ur dum a perfectly good word exists for po boys but it's still a sandwich

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Tumble posted:

If someone brought me a sub I would not question it for a second, but I would wonder about the panini. Maybe the real problem is we don't have a sprecific word for an untoasted sandwich made with two slices of a pullman loaf.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Anderron Shi posted:

Ur dum a perfectly good word exists for po boys but it's still a sandwich

That's my point you retard. There are specific terms for things beyond "sandwich" that are better and more specific.

Germstore posted:

If someone brought me a sub I would not question it for a second, but I would wonder about the panini. Maybe the real problem is we don't have a sprecific word for an untoasted sandwich made with two slices of a pullman loaf.

I guess you just call it a "____ sandwich" like a ham or roast beef sandwich.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 25, 2016

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Luvcow posted:

if you put deli meat and a slice of cheese in a hotdog bun is it a sandwich?

if you slice up a hotdog and put it between two pieces of bread is it a sandwich?

I would say that deli meat in a hotdog bun is a sandwich with improvised bread. (ex. a sub sandwich)

I would also say that a hotdog sliced up or not, put between two pieces of bread or a hamburger bun or one piece of bread rolled around a whole hotdog would all similarly fall under an improvised hotdog bun.

Its the meat that makes something a sandwich, not the bread.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Festus The Fetus posted:

I would say that deli meat in a hotdog bun is a sandwich with improvised bread. (ex. a sub sandwich)

I would also say that a hotdog sliced up or not, put between two pieces of bread or a hamburger bun or one piece of bread rolled around a whole hotdog would all similarly fall under an improvised hotdog bun.

Its the meat that makes something a sandwich, not the bread.

are you trying to be wrong on purpose

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

are you trying to be wrong on purpose

Well then explain whats wrong with that. Maybe the other toppings matter too, like if you cut up a hotdog put it between bread and put lettuce tomato and mayo on it then maybe it is a hotdog sandwich. Because those are things you don't put on a hotdog so it blurs the lines.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I believe a hotdog is more of a sandwich than an open faced sandwich.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
bread - cjeck

meats - chejk

sauses - checks

combidmbens - check

cheeses? - fermeted and check

horseradish - sometimes i guess

which am i talkding baout hodGODS or sandBITCHES

both really slo i dguess a hogdog could be a sandwichs

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Hotdog isn't a sandwich
Calzone is a kind of Pizza, it is no more a kind of sandwich than an open faced sandwich is a type of pizza.
Just because an open faced sandwich has bread with sauce, cheese and meat on top doesn't make it a pizza, being enclosed doesn't make a calzone a sandwich.
Subs are the transitional border between hotdogs and sandwiches. They are a sandwich but the bread is connected at the bottom like a hotdog.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
:science: a hotdog is actually a type of bug

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

captainoblivious posted:

Hotdog isn't a sandwich
Calzone is a kind of Pizza, it is no more a kind of sandwich than an open faced sandwich is a type of pizza.
Just because an open faced sandwich has bread with sauce, cheese and meat on top doesn't make it a pizza, being enclosed doesn't make a calzone a sandwich.
Subs are the transitional border between hotdogs and sandwiches. They are a sandwich but the bread is connected at the bottom like a hotdog.

agreed

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

captainoblivious posted:

Hotdog isn't a sandwich

you can slice that connection and then it magically becomes a sandwich? no it was a sandwich all along!

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

you can slice that connection and then it magically becomes a sandwich? no it was a sandwich all along!

It only becomes a sandwich if you slice it and eat it like one. It has to be wider than a hotdog. We live an a society godammit I won't be a party this insanity.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

hot dog refers to the sausage not the sausage + bread. dog was slang for sausage. so no a hot dog is not a sandwich

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
If you walk into a restaurant and ask for a Hamburger Sandwich a person would know what you're talking about.

If you go in and say give me a Hotdog Sandwich you're gonna get some weird poo poo.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

"Hi can I get one of them there hamburger sandwiches?"
Gtfo

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Anderron Shi posted:

"Hi can I get one of them there hamburger sandwiches?"
Gtfo

I mean yeah, but at least you know what their asking for.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

VR Native American posted:

I mean yeah, but at least you know what their asking for.

Haha yeah you're right, at worst I would think they were from another country or something.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
is this food i made a sandwich?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

Stop posting pictures of your dick covered in mustard, we're debating sandwiches here not your junk

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

sleep tight, pizza

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/713167207375716352

Where do you stand? Is a Hotdog and Sandwich? Is a Calzone a Sandwich? Is a Pizza a Sandwich? Where is the line drawn? Are you a rye traditionalist? Or a open faced club progressivist?

if only we could ask the Earl.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

looks delicious either way

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This is the definition of a sandwich: A sandwich is a food item consisting of one or more types of food, such as vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for some other food.

You are just making things up to seem smart. Hot dogs and burritos are sandwiches
tell 100 people to get you a sandwich and see how many people come back with a loving burrito you delusional piece of human poo poo

in my fascists regime you will be first against the wall

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Here's a sandwich:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

OK

OK

hear me out

What if we took the dog, cut it into little pieces and placed it on a piece of bread. Would that in fact be a hot dog sandwich?

like this

of course you would put another loaf on top of our item here with the appropriate condiments, but you get the picture.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm willing to OK that pizza sandwich if the top pizza is flipped over and give the chopped dogwich above a provisional OK on the condition of a bread topper added before bite the first.

You need to be able to hold it in one (possibly giant) hand and still play cards for it to be a sandwich in keeping with the Earl's imagining.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 26, 2016

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
The sandwich was invented to allow consumption of food at card games without getting the cards greasy. So the true test is if you can eat a hotdog without the need for a napkin at a poker game.

No ifs or buts. That's the loving measure of it, and anyone who disagrees is ignorant to the purpose of the sandwich.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

French tartines existed for a hundred years before the earl made his request and he would have eaten thousands over his lifetime. What made it sandwich was the specific request for a second piece of bread to be added, so it could be gripped and held properly through vigorous cardplay, not balanced like a dandy.

So go gently caress yourself.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
Have we come to a consensus on whether or not tortillas are bread, because I need to know if this quesadilla is a sandwich or not.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
quesadilla is most certainly a sandwich

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Have we come to a consensus on whether or not tortillas are bread, because I need to know if this quesadilla is a sandwich or not.

Sandwich bread is leavened. Unleavened bread is a wrap.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

quesadilla is most certainly a sandwich

No, its just a flattened wrap. Leavening gives the dough structure, that again, is required to wield in one hand and play cards in the other. Try holding up a quesadilla in a regal fashion, gesticulations and all, and still be able crank out a mean hand of whist. Go ahead, I'll wait.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

shadow puppet of a posted:

French tartines existed for a hundred years before the earl made his request and he would have eaten thousands over his lifetime. What made it sandwich was the specific request for a second piece of bread to be added, so it could be gripped and held properly through vigorous cardplay, not balanced like a dandy.

So go gently caress yourself.

Are you seriously telling me that he was just tired of having to balance his food, as opposed to wanting to be courteous to the dealer and other players? Maybe the reason he couldn't grip the tartine properly because if you try to have a firm grip on it, you generally would get grease and such on your mitts? The second piece of bread acts a kind of napkin for your hands too.

When the Earl invented this, did he explain that "The second piece of bread ensures I don't spill everything onto the floor like a goober when I gesticulate,' or 'I want to play cards and not have them literally slip through player's fingers' I mean yeah, I can see where you're coming from, and if that's the case, then hotdog STILL isn't a sandwich, but lol

• Locked thread