Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lessail posted:

Nah. 0-5 in the NCAA Tournament is not good.

Like I said, an unsteady might.

Also, might not want to hire a coach who plays a MW team twice every year and consistently loses.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Georgia Tech fired Brian Gregory, that's going to be a major rebuild job with all the minutes they're losing.

I didn't realize it was statistically that bad. They won't return anyone averaging more than 5 points per game. Recruiting has not worked well for Tech in the past few years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Washington women's team is heading to the Elite 8 for the first time in 15 years :woop:

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 26, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bird in a Blender posted:

Last year, ISU finished 12-6 in conference, this year 10-8. Last year, ISU lost games they should have won, like at Texas Tech, and at KSU, and this year 3 of the losses were in OT, and could have been won in regulation had the last shot had fallen, and none of our losses were bad losses. Even the one loss to UNI that looked bad, turned out to be ok considering they ended up being a tournament team. This year, ISU lost by 3 to OU in the Big 12 tournament. Last year, ISU was nearly eliminated by Texas, and had some miracle comebacks to win the tournament.

This year, ISU played 7-8 guys per game. Last year, ISU played 8-9 guys per game, and ISU lost a starter at the beginning of the season this year. All things considered, I think Prohm and Hoiberg would have had roughly the same success this year with this team. If Naz was healthy all year, there were probably 1-2 games that ISU would have won because of the added depth. I just don't see any great disparity between Prohm and Hoiberg right now. Of course, Hoiberg was at ISU for 5 years, and Prohm has been here one, so time will tell.

If I may disagree, ISU lost games under Hoiburg because the team got cold and was occasionally outcoached.

ISU seems to lose more now because they aren't adjusting to what the other team is doing and eventually collapse and get outscored. This is just my gut and my layman's approach to the game being an ISU homer, but Prohm doesn't seem to be able to get his guys to adjust the same way Hoiberg did when the chips were down. Granted, once he gets his own recruiting class in we may see things mix up quite a bit, but as it stands, I feel like he's just a half step behind Hoiberg in terms of firing up the team and getting them to consistently perform at their best.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Checking in to say sports are stupid but I love sports and Georges Niang is cool and so are all of you and see you all next year.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Benne posted:

The Washington women's team is heading to the Elite 8 for the first time in 15 years :woop:

This really was a crazy day in the women's tourney. The #2 and #3 overall seeds both lost and Tennessee demolished Ohio State. There's a decent chance that there will be two 7 seeds in the final four. It's especially interesting that both of the 7 seeds demolished the opposing team.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 26, 2016

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Stay safe, Space Thoguh.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dude789 posted:

This really was a crazy day in the women's tourney. The #2 and #3 overall seeds both lost and Tennessee demolished Ohio State. There's a decent chance that there will be two 7 seeds in the final four.

do any of them stand a chance or is uconn still an unstoppable death machine

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

R.D. Mangles posted:

The good news is that both the 1 seeds that lost are on the opposite side of the bracket so Baylor is probably the best bet to upset them. Niya Johnson and Nina Davis are both incredibly good and they're surrounded by a ton of talent. They're more versatile than South Carolina and while Notre Dame was good, they're not as good as previous ND teams that have also come up short. The biggest question is whether they'll be able to contain UConn's inside game. Tennessee can keep up with UConn's inside game, but has been a terrible 3 point shooting team this season and has had tremendous trouble with zone defenses all season so I'm not confident they can win unless Diamond Deshields goes nuts and scores 30+ points and Bashaara Graves and Mercedes Russell also contribute significantly.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
More like Mark FEW DEEP TOURNAMENT RUNS! Ehh? Ehhh??

I'll...I'll just show myself out then...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
making the sweet 16 as an 11 seed is pretty good

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I'm gonna miss Yogi next year. :smith:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

R.D. Mangles posted:

I was absentmindedly trying to see when the elite eight games start today and saw

answers that question

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Crossposting, Syracuse fans are professional trolls.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2016/3/22/11281132/an-open-letter-of-apology-to-america-from-syracuse-basketball

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Sean in particular is one of my favorite fellow Syracuse trolls.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I was absentmindedly trying to see when the elite eight games start today and saw

answers that question
Ended 98-38. I thought Auburn getting beat by Baylor in the second round by about 40 was bad.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

No, yes.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

lol OSU center Trevor Thompson is declaring for the draft with his robust 6 pt/5 boards season. At least he is being smart and not signing an agent for when he isn't drafted.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Well, declaring for the draft is the new "doing nothing" and hiring an agent is the new "declaring for the draft"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kibner posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/status/713456582638460928

I have no stake in Tulane basketball but that is... an interesting name.

He was so bad last time he was an NBA coach. Would still be an improvement for Tulane.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Anyone else getting the DII championship?

Augie might be the only team whiter than Wisconsin, and they just won.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

OctoberBlues posted:

Well, declaring for the draft is the new "doing nothing" and hiring an agent is the new "declaring for the draft"

Yeah I guess they changed it so you can do it multiple times now. So can declare after Sophomore and Junior seasons and get access to 1 team tryout and the NBA combine. Thompson will be able to get advice from NBA teams such as "Get better at everything, or get good at maybe a single thing." Will be interesting to see how the NBA adjusts the combine for the influx of early entrants.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

So now Coach K comes out and says that he was lying when he claimed he didn't say anything to that Oregon player. What a guy!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

So now Coach K comes out and says that he was lying when he claimed he didn't say anything to that Oregon player. What a guy!

Only because they reviewed the audio and he said what he said.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
gently caress duke forever.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

exethan posted:

gently caress duke forever.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

He is such a prissy motherfucker when he unexpectedly loses.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

OctoberBlues posted:

And of course some people are already all over his knob for speaking up for THE RIGHT WAY, even though you know it's because he's a pissy passive aggressive dweeb who wanted to get a parting shot in at a 19 year old.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

MechaFrogzilla posted:

And of course some people are already all over his knob for speaking up for THE RIGHT WAY, even though you know it's because he's a pissy passive aggressive dweeb who wanted to get a parting shot in at a 19 year old.

Yeah he can't really take the high road when he excused away his own mini-Ted Cruz's deliberate tripping of people.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

in honor of bill rafferty, please rename this thread "Big Time Snatch" thank you

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Get ready for loving Syracuse to win it all, and then you can all be miserable with me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Get ready for loving Syracuse to win it all, and then you can all be miserable with me.

You went to the elite 8 be happy

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Probably Magic posted:

Ugh that would be the worst.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

You went to the elite 8 be happy

I feel a welling up of anger, but I think it's at douchey Villanova teams past, because I can't really think of anyone that hateable on Villanova. Arciadiacono? But that's too cool of a name to hate.

If Kansas doesn't lose in Round of 32, they lose in the Elite Eight. Is what it is.

It's going to be Syracuse that wins, though. Alabama, Denver... a bad trend has developed, leaving a chill in my soul.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Probably Magic posted:

I feel a welling up of anger, but I think it's at douchey Villanova teams past, because I can't really think of anyone that hateable on Villanova. Arciadiacono? But that's too cool of a name to hate.

If Kansas doesn't lose in Round of 32, they lose in the Elite Eight. Is what it is.

It's going to be Syracuse that wins, though. Alabama, Denver... a bad trend has developed, leaving a chill in my soul.

Resign yourself to Giants Even Year Bullshit, at least

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Probably Magic posted:

I have a pretty strong feeling Virginia is going to win tomorrow, but that being said, Go Orange.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

EnsGDT posted:

I have a pretty strong feeling Virginia is going to win tomorrow, but that being said, Go Orange.

all 1 seeds must die, i think

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It would be cool if Syracuse won it all only for the excitement of future tournaments knowing that any team actually COULD win it all, no matter how lovely they were all season. Gives us all hope :unsmith:

on the other hand gently caress Syracuse

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Kevin Stallings is a really weird hire for Pitt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It would be cool if Syracuse won it all only for the excitement of future tournaments knowing that any team actually COULD win it all, no matter how lovely they were all season. Gives us all hope :unsmith:

on the other hand gently caress Syracuse

Any team could win it all, as long as they have a history of tournament bullshit. I think everyone already knows that about this dumb sport.

• Locked thread