Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
This video epitomizes that Star Citizen is developing a large, FULL, open world. A world so chock full of details that we could feasibly spend an entire gaming session (or more) on a single ship, as a member of its crew. Much like the crew of the Nostromo or the Firefly, you could sign on to be a part of a team and stay on board for the long haul.
I can't wait to spend entire nights doing various tasks on board a large ship like this. Or any number of other incredibly detailed tasks that they are designing for us to be able to do. It isn't about having more places to go, it's about having more stuff to do when you get there. Or more that you can do on the way. And Star Citizen gets that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323985/subject-to-change-at-any-time

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6502772/#Comment_6502772

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6502873/#Comment_6502873

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Hi CIG intern,

Please remove stumpy-Sandi from the building in order not to further violate the 2005 Art Plagiarism Act, Section R, Subsection 1123.3.

Have a good Easter.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Daztek posted:

lovely job but :effort:

I forgot to give you a thumbs up for this one. It's good to skyline the extra layer of bullshit in the faux pencil sketches.

We're working on removing the images we not only stole but made pencil drawings of to enforce the idea that we came up with these.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Daztek posted:

Should probably put a link to the kickstarter in your vidyo description, commando

I might have done something like that already...
I know, i'm not as witty as you guys, but I support the cause.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dusty Lens posted:

I forgot to give you a thumbs up for this one. It's good to skyline the extra layer of bullshit in the faux pencil sketches.

We're working on removing the images we not only stole but made pencil drawings of to enforce the idea that we came up with these.

hey now, the lower legs and boots are original art do not steal!!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I might have done something like that already...
I know, i'm not as witty as you guys, but I support the cause.

It's not a Star citizen cardgame though

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

Should probably put a link to the kickstarter in your vidyo description, commando

Done, good idea :)

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Daztek posted:

It's not a Star citizen cardgame though

Tomato Tomato?
Well i edited the Star Citizen part, but it is kinda related to SC no?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

oh my god

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" I howl as the pain triples every second

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also i'm not condoning anyone posting there, but I couldn't help myself

please don't flood the poor guy who already had his art stolen, im just a lovely person

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

tbh i hope he does get something out of this, art theft happens all the time (that doesnt make it OK but still) but usually it's just teenagers wanting some internet credit and not someone actually making potential money off of your work

the former doesn't matter but the latter is kind of a big deal

good luck space artist

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

goons ruin everything

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Maybe just let the guy know that his work is being used. Likely without his permission.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
one hundred million dollars

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

That's an almost exact replica of the face i had for the last 2/3 of it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Dusty Lens posted:

Maybe just let the guy know that his work is being used. Likely without his permission.

that is the best way to go about it imo!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Spider Covets posted:

tbh i hope he does get something out of this, art theft happens all the time (that doesnt make it OK but still) but usually it's just teenagers wanting some internet credit and not someone actually making potential money off of your work

the former doesn't matter but the latter is kind of a big deal

good luck space artist

yes, its actually ver important

if star traders gets funded, this guy better get a cut

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like they literally raised money with this guys art as a major selling point, considering it was used for chris roberts

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sandi's still makes me crack up, it'd be one thing to rip off a movie costume, but ripping off a photoshop of one is a whole different kind of dumb

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Daztek posted:

Sandi's still makes me crack up, it'd be one thing to rip off a movie costume, but ripping off a photoshop of one is a whole different kind of dumb

her tiny, frail shins crack me the gently caress up

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

Hi CIG intern,

Please remove stumpy-Sandi from the building in order not to further violate the 2005 Art Plagiarism Act, Section R, Subsection 1123.3.

Have a good Easter.

Maybe this counts as fair use.
CIG is a parody, after all.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sandi: *sees herself airbrushed face plastered onto Jessica Biel's body* you did it...you made it

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sandi Gardiner, one of the best plagiarism promoters in the world ever since she was a little girl

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i mostly made my post not the persons page because I hope they take my question seriously, like the person believes I think they ripped the art from star traders

if that happens then they may be more frustrated and actually take some action on it

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Sperglord posted:

I'm bringing this back up because I like the design theory behind the Orion. I looked like a low-tech warship without artificial gravity or a cyclic generator driven laser cannon/particle beam ship. It does not look like a miner in any shape or form. I wouldn't call it unique, but a culmination of similar past ship designs by other artists.

If I had a chance to put that ship into a game: The Orion looks like a high-technological end of a pre-artificial gravity spacefleet. The forward end would point towards later ship designs, while the aft retains the rotating sections for the crew. However, CIG, is driven by Robert's Rule of Cool, so coherency be damned.

Wait... whatever happened to the Shuban mining station? Did that base, which was supposed to hold SQ42, just disappear from CIG altogether?

There's nothing high-technological about that ship when it comes to the spinning section; in fact its design is downright stupid.

Ok, so Newton says that for every reaction there is an opposite equal reaction. If you've got an office chair you can try the rotational analogue out for yourself. Sit on the chair, and try to make it rotate by rotating your body. It'll work if you rotate your upper body counter to the direction you rotate your lower body and the net rotational force you exert is around zero.
For the ship you've got two sections rotating one way, but only one section counter-rotating, so there is a net rotational force along the ships central length axis proportional to the force that the missing section should have exerted. Unless you compensate for this by continuously having some sort of counter thruster going, this ship will rotate.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ugh, funding graph spiked up to 10K for the past 2 hours.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

orcinus posted:

Maybe this counts as fair use.
CIG is a parody, after all.

too true commando

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Eonwe posted:

i mostly made my post not the persons page because I hope they take my question seriously, like the person believes I think they ripped the art from star traders

if that happens then they may be more frustrated and actually take some action on it

gently caress you eonwe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

quote:

In Title 17 of the United States Code, the US Supreme Court ruled that a parody is “the use of some elements of a prior author’s composition to create a new one that, at least in part, comments on that author’s work”. In order to make absolutely sure that a work is parody and not plagiarism, one must make it obvious enough that it is based on another author’s work so it is not confusing. Plagiarism involves the taking of someone else’s ideas and claiming them as one’s own, but if it is apparent that it is based on another work and makes comments on the original, it is a parody.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Derek is it time to actually sue someone for real I know you can do it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so if someone reports a post on a subreddit, does it disappear for a time? I can report posts on r/dereksmart and they go away

I'm not sure if they are just hidden from me, or if they get hidden until a mod flags them as ok

might apply to newer posts?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

so if someone reports a post on a subreddit, does it disappear for a time? I can report posts on r/dereksmart and they go away

I'm not sure if they are just hidden from me, or if they get hidden until a mod flags them as ok

might apply to newer posts?

Hidden for you I think, mods have to deal with them to hide them from everyone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like I almost wonder if since my post was newer and a user reported it, could it be hidden to everyone? if so, lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Is this that "known Goon Reddit alts"' list, Beet Wagon? Or is there another one?

I consider myself of a Lawful Good alignment-- if I am otherwise on their list, I shall be most put out.

As far as I know there's only one. Someone should ask Doxxed_by_Derek (:laffo:) if he wants to assemble a team to track our every actions. Like some kind of League of Extraordinary Autistmen or something.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

what was the post? i didn't get to see it

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dusty Lens posted:

His artwork was used to raise $40k on kickstarter, so I hope the guy realises he can completely gently caress them.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
A partial wall of words, as I have to rush here.

On ship sales and morale:

G0RF posted:

I think some of these points might have merit. But employee morale issues can be lousy even if they've a mountain of cash. And I doubt the community team is privvy to balance sheet details-- guys like Ortwin would surely keep those numbers far away from nearly everybody in the org-- ESPECIALLY knowing guys like Derek could get a tipoff if a frustrated lower level employee wanted to cause chaos.

But yes, the last minute price increases ARE very curious. I am not one to assume a pending financial collapse-- that's just too hard to believe given how they're spending their money. We don't see signs of husbanding cash (big layoffs, reduced offices, etc.) we just see signs of them trying to prime the pump yet not getting the cash engine firing up. That suggests mild concern not panic.

The reason I think that morale is tied to money is that Ben, I believe, has almost direct insight to CIG finances. He coordinates community involvement and ship sales, the primary financial tools of the organization, so I seriously doubt that he would be totally ignorant about the actual state of CIG. promo Chris/Ortman's perspective, Ben is perfect because he is so blindly attached to Roberts that he is a very low leak risk. Worse, they know that his health is bad so that he is, in a sick sense, more emotionally dependent on CIG than almost anyone else there.

Which leads to the interesting observation, we don't know who is CIG inner circle, there's Chris, Ortwin, Sandi, and Erin. But that isn't enough people to run payroll, monitor day-to-day finances, conduct market surveys or monitor sales and forecast income. There has to be a small team which manages CIG money. This team may include somebody leaking to Derek.

quote:

It's a provocative data point to be sure. We need more of them before we call a major trend. We have imperfect and in some ways contradictory data. A meteorite doesn't mean the sky is falling.

A real test of the State of the Nation would come if they had a truly sweet Big rear end Ship Sale-- like maybe the Corvette for $700, with a cap on sales at 2000. Could they move $1.4 million worth in a day? A few hours? Or would they end up with leftovers after a few days?

That would be a real test. Obviously, I'm throwing out random numbers but we need to see what a sale crafted for the Million Mile High Club contingent would look like. And the truth is-- even with their recent stumbles-- there still might be some oil in the whales if they drill the right ones in the right holes with the right tool...

Fair point, we haven't seen the impact of a limited availability super whale sale. If the Corvette and the Blade fail, the there is nothing available for CIG. I just wanted to point out the seriousness of the Blade sale failing. A reliable income stream for CIG disappeared over night, i'd call it the combat focused moderate whales. What's left is the super whales.

quote:

I can't make this big a leap yet-- even if Derek says its a safe bet, a fait accompli, a done deal, "IT'S OVER. THEYRE hosed. THE END." Erin's interview did not convey panic. If they had two months cash we'd see bodies dropping everywhere and Glassdoor, Derek Smart, online forums including this one would become the release valve for a lot of anonymous rage and gossip. And some of that would FINALLY get another gaming rag to get off their asses, pull out the axes, and start swinging.

Put simply:

1) CIG Management is not behaving in a manner consistent with a company with existential cash fears. The recent sale may have humbled them but there is no panic in the air, just subtle signs of course correction.

2) Before cash nears dangerous lows, CIG wil start jettisoning human and other cargo wholesale. It will not be quiet or subtle. We will know.

3) If disruptive terminations / layoffs occur, we'll see telltale signs in multiple places and some beyond Derek may hear them through personal grapevines.

4) The gaming press will strike if the prior occurs. They don't need salacious dirt-- some already have it. The flood gates will open and facts we were bored about 9 months ago will be presented as breaking news. And the vultures will swirl and feast and spergs will let out howls of shock and rage and this thing will feed a small nation with fallout stories and after actions and we will finally HAVE A CONVERSATION ABOUT CROWDFUNDING and "THE SURPRISING PARALLELS WITH ION STORM!" (And I promise you, a very relieved Romero will get a LOT of chances for React Quotes. Boy will he be happy to pass his heavy crown on to Chris Roberts, too!)

This analysis I am going to have to complete disagree with. As a crowd funded company with ongoing development costs, CIG knows that it's outside appearance, an aura of confidence and wealth, is crucial for continuing income. How often have we seen people say "CIG has $110 million, they're a sure deal to make something great" in the context of why to trust CIG with another purchase? I believe the air of CIG success and importance, multiple offices, fancy headquarters, yearly presentations, is critical for the continued funding success. The company projects an air of confidence and seriousness, people conflate the trappings of a multinational corporation with seriousness, and that air makes buying a CIG project a sure bet. It is the organizational and behavioral equivalent of old fashioned banks, made of solid granite columns and with great solidity. Your money is safe with CIG because CIG behaves like a "Big Player"

CIG knows this, throughout their entire media presence there is an emphasis on the trappings of being a "Big Player," to provide the confidence that backers need before spending money. This is why CIG will think very hard before pulling the funding tracker. That tracker is a public statement of financial confidence. If it disappears then CIG is admitting it doesn't have financial confidence, which will lead to a collapse in faith and the company dying very quickly. Pulling the tracker is tantamount to suicide for CIG. So too, for that matter, is repeated concept sales.

Which leads me to your classic signs of a firm in financial distress. CIG cannot display financial distress, because doing so would indicate a lack of internal confidence leading to a collapse of external confidence and funding ending. Any sign, mass layoffs, missed paychecks, will cause a flood of refund and chargeback requests and a total ending of large scale purchases. CIG must always maintain total outward projected financial confidence to get any income.

When the end comes, it will come without any warning. One day CIG is here, the next day it is dead. I don't think we'll see signs of financial distress.

Though, this does make me wonder if the recent price hikes are more telling than we thought. They would be the maximum CIG could do in response to imminent financial difficulties, more income without blatantly signaling financial crises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so these guys apparently have 30 years of creating tabletop games, but the only one they can think to mention is star traders

http://tradersluck.com/about/

• Locked thread