Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I suspected I might get that answer.

What's up with Clannad in general, though? Is it just another High School Slice Of Life thing? Because I might be down for that at some point or another, but only if it does something interesting with it.

It's a melodramatic high school romance in which the hero makes his way through helping a variety of quirky moe girls with their astonishingly tragic circumstances. Then he and his love interest grow up and try to create a life together (which already puts it outside the standard high school harem norm), and things get weird. Not, like, School Days weird, but weird. Jun Maeda does a very particular kind of magical-realist, subtle-as-a-brick-through-the-window drama, and you will very soon discover whether it is your thing or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clannad is good and kotomi/tomoya are the best

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mm. Might check out the Anime at some point down the road, then. Probably after I finish K-ON and can continue on my Kyo Ani Highlights Grand Tour. Thanks, Goons.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Have you played umineko? if not you should play umineko

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Admittedly, the resolution makes a lot more sense in the visual novel format than it does in the anime, mostly because it basically acknowledges all the various replays that you'd have to do to get the ideal ending, but the anime does a decent enough job.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

Have you played umineko? if not you should play umineko

Where? It's not on Steam. The fan page linked on the last page also juts goes to Manga Gamer, and I can't find it on there.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 5, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Where? It's not on Steam. The fan page linked on the last page also juts goes to Manga Gamer, and I can't find it on there.

I posted an email from MangaGamer on the last page. Basically we have no hope of getting Umineko for some time.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Need recs for stuff with really cool industrial design and gadgets. I've seen every GITS film and show. I'm particularly interested in ideas from the 80s/90s/early 2000s of what a portable computer would look like.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Need recs for stuff with really cool industrial design and gadgets. I've seen every GITS film and show. I'm particularly interested in ideas from the 80s/90s/early 2000s of what a portable computer would look like.

It's seriously far-future rather than retro-futuristic like you're asking for, but Tsutomu Nihei's stories might be up your street. His stuff is mostly in manga format, but the Knights of Sidonia anime is a fun and accessible way to get into his work if you can get past the slightly dodgy CG.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Have there been any recent good (I'm not sure how to describe them) Gambler/Strategy duel type animes? I'm basically talking about stuff in the same vein as Kaiji, Akagi, One Outs, and Liar Game. And while not being exactly the same I guess Death Note qualifies as well.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

Have there been any recent good (I'm not sure how to describe them) Gambler/Strategy duel type animes? I'm basically talking about stuff in the same vein as Kaiji, Akagi, One Outs, and Liar Game. And while not being exactly the same I guess Death Note qualifies as well.

No Game No Life might qualify, if you don't mind the overall tone being super upbeat rather than serious.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you should try the korean live action show 'the genius'. its basically a reality show version of those shows

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Not anime, but the Gambling Emperor Zero manga is by the same guy behind Kaiji and Akagi so it should scratch that itch.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Been playing through the Steins;Gate game recently - I hear the Anime is good? Think I might hit it after I finish the game. What should I expect?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Spiritus Nox posted:

Been playing through the Steins;Gate game recently - I hear the Anime is good? Think I might hit it after I finish the game. What should I expect?

I hear the OP isn't as good as the game's

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Ok, cool thanks.

So I have a hard time keeping up with what's recent and good. I'm watching One Punch Man(because it's what basically EVERYONE is talking about) right now and loving it but that's not going to last me very long. The last thing I watched was Attack on Titan(because for a while it was also what everyone was talking about), loved it too of course. So the other recommendations I'm looking for are just anything that's relatively recent and good/popular. The anime I tend to like usually has some kind of competition or war, whether that be physical(Hajime No Ippo) or mental(Death Note) though it can range in mature content level, for example I really enjoy Naruto, but I also really enjoy Berserk. Here's a list of anime I've watched and liked a lot to give you an idea of what I'm looking for...

Naruto
Berserk
Hajime No Ippo
Basilisk
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Seirei no Moribito
Sword Art Online

Also I'd like to get people's opinion on some older shows that I never got around to watching or only watched a few episodes of, it's possible that I should push myself to watch those because I'm missing out on great stuff

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
Claymore
One Piece (often recommended because I love Naruto, watched a few eps to the first boss fight, liked it enough, but didn't feel the pull to continue)
Bleach (watched a few eps, but couldn't get into it)
Black Lagoon(I actually watched about 3-4 episodes of this, it was good for what it was, but I didn't feel the pull to continue)
tengen toppa gurren lagann (watched 1-2 few eps, couldn't get into it)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Knorth posted:

I hear the OP isn't as good as the game's

I have already discovered that much. :v:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Obviously entirely up to personal preference, but I preferred the anime to the game, and I thought both were fantastic. First third or so of the show/game can get a little dull at points, but that's obviously 8 episodes or so compared to about 10 hours of game, so the anime felt paced much better. On top of that, the dub is absolutely stellar, and I'd really recommend it unless you don't like dubs. Admittedly, the original VA's great too - Okabe especially - but I preferred the dub in the end.

If you're just curious about if much is skipped then you don't have much to worry about - pretty much everything important's adapted, aside from the bad endings and one or two scenes that it would've been nice if they'd included but aren't really plot-essential.

EDIT:

-Blackadder- posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
Claymore
One Piece (often recommended because I love Naruto, watched a few eps to the first boss fight, liked it enough, but didn't feel the pull to continue)
Black Lagoon(I actually watched about 3-4 episodes of this, it was good for what it was, but I didn't feel the pull to continue)

It sounds like you'd enjoy Hunter x Hunter, from what you've said. As for your list there, I recently watched Eva for the first time and it instantly became one of my personal favourites, so I'd say that's at the very least worth trying. I'd also recommend giving Gurren Lagann another shot since I wouldn't say the first two episodes are entirely representative of the whole show. Still, it might just be not your thing.

Just to throw out a random recommendation, why not try FLCL if you haven't seen it? Very short and most people really enjoy it, so worth trying.

smenj fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 20, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the game and anime are very similar. the game cuts some small stuff for time, but nothing that really feels like much of a loss. it's one of the few things out there where I don't think there's a better version, both are about equal in quality with their own strengths and weaknesses (the VN has better art, Okabe's internal monologue and alternate endings; the anime has strong direction and better pacing).

they're similar enough I might give it some time after finishing the game

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok, cool thanks.

So I have a hard time keeping up with what's recent and good. I'm watching One Punch Man(because it's what basically EVERYONE is talking about) right now and loving it but that's not going to last me very long. The last thing I watched was Attack on Titan(because for a while it was also what everyone was talking about), loved it too of course. So the other recommendations I'm looking for are just anything that's relatively recent and good/popular. The anime I tend to like usually has some kind of competition or war, whether that be physical(Hajime No Ippo) or mental(Death Note) though it can range in mature content level, for example I really enjoy Naruto, but I also really enjoy Berserk. Here's a list of anime I've watched and liked a lot to give you an idea of what I'm looking for...

Naruto
Berserk
Hajime No Ippo
Basilisk
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Seirei no Moribito
Sword Art Online

Also I'd like to get people's opinion on some older shows that I never got around to watching or only watched a few episodes of, it's possible that I should push myself to watch those because I'm missing out on great stuff

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
Claymore

For the older shows, watch evangelion and code geass.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok, cool thanks.

Naruto
Berserk
Hajime No Ippo
Basilisk
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Seirei no Moribito
Sword Art Online

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
Claymore

Consider:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Yu Yu Hakusho

The One Piece anime is decent until the pacing turns to poo poo around the Thriller Bark arc, but that still gives you ~300 episodes to work with. It's a better read.

Bleach is bad.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

Extremely good, but also a pretty massive time investment. It's also very focused on politics over action.

quote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Very overrated imo. Also really emotionally draining/depressing.

quote:

Code Geass

It's pretty good, I'd definitely say watch it seeing what else you like.

quote:

I'd very much recommend reading the manga rather than watch the anime. I had the same problem with the anime

quote:

It only goes downhill massively from the beginning, so if you didn't like it then, you won't like it later.

quote:

TTGL keeps getting more and more intense as it goes. It also starts out a good bit different than it ends up, so I'd definitely recommend giving it another chance.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Consumption of Bleach is bad for your health

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok, cool thanks.

Naruto
Berserk
Hajime No Ippo
Basilisk
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Seirei no Moribito
Sword Art Online

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
Claymore

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans may be your thing. It's a stylish, dark, :black101: show about a band of mutinous child soldiers trying to carve a future for themselves in a corrupt, decaying world still scarred by an apocalyptic war three centuries before. It's one of the long-running Gundam franchise's 'alternate universes', stand-alone stories outside the main Universal Century setting that share some of its themes and motifs, but don't require any prior knowledge going in. It's kind of slow and character-based for its franchise, with action scenes happening roughly every two episodes rather than every one, but when poo poo does get real, it's both spectacular and horrifying, and the character-work itself is pretty fun, too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch space battleship yamato 2199

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

watch space battleship yamato 2199

I forgot to mention this one! Seconded! Kinda wish it'd gotten a proper English release instead of just being abandoned and not even streamed anywhere.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Behold! I am now both recommending an anime AND asking for a recommendation, in a single post!

I just finished Tiger & Bunny and oh man you guys it's great. :toot: I gotta admit, I didn't even like the action that much (with some stellar exceptions - oh man, Jake :allears: ), and I wasn't really a fan of that part of the finale where most of the cast heroically does absolutely nothing - but overall, it's just so absurdly well-done! This has definitely one of, if not THE most likable cast I've seen so far, holy poo poo. The show just gets their goofy characters. Really an incredibly entertaining team dynamic, and I loved the episodes where the other heroes got the spotlight. I would unironically watch a superhero sitcom like this. (Might be part of the reason why I like One-Punch Man so much, too.) Also, while the CGI isn't all that great at times, they pull off some great scenes and designs with it, like Lunatic! Great show.

And now the part where I ask for a recommendation. Are the movies worth it? I heard that the second one (Rising) is a sequel, so I guess I'll check that one out sooner or later; what about the first one? Pretty much sounded just like another recap movie, but you never know...

Help me, I need more Tiger & Bunny!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first movie is a recap of the first two episodes followed by an original story so it's worth checking it out if you want more.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnoHito posted:

No Game No Life might qualify, if you don't mind the overall tone being super upbeat rather than serious.

would not recommend

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

AnoHito posted:

And if you don't mind loving relentless fan service of every female character.

Really pissed me off, way to cast a shadow over a really colourful world.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the fanservice didn't bother me, the bad jokes did

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also its pretty bad as far as battle of wits types show. Only the second game is clever at all

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no game no life is a very pretty show starring a couple of intentionally unlikable people making references to better anime

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ngnl was alright. I enjoyed it despite its less good parts.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I turned it off five minutes into the first episode

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't mind the concept behind it but for some reason i just remember really hating something about how it was executed

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What are some good non-wacky present day manga that are less than 10 volumes? After volume 6 or so I tend to lose interest no matter what it is. Oldboy was a stretch, 20th Century Boys I got about halfway through and it started seriously dragging. I liked JoJo's also, and got through the first two stories, but Stardust Crusaders is SO loving LONG

Hipsteresque
Nov 10, 2011
Forgot to cancel my sub to crunchyroll and got another month. I don't want to let it go to waste though, any really good shows to watch on it? (I like shows like Jojos, Hunter x Hunter, Yowapeda)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you'd probably like Parasyte a lot given your tastes

other shows i think you might like: Erased, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero

If you don't mind mecha Gurren Lagann and Iron Blooded Orphans

Since you liked Yowapeda Chihayafuru is another really good sports show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

Since you liked Yowapeda Chihayafuru is another really good sports show

Chihayafuru is super excellent!

Haikyu!! is a lot like Yowamushi Pedal but with 30X SHOUTING, 40X BROODING, and 50X FIGHTING SPIRIT