Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gonna be sprats over roasted potato and onion tonight

ed:

These are yum; smokey, tender, not dry and crumbly the way I'm used to average larger sardines being. The fishy flavor is somewhere between tiny brislings and say brunswicks.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
:siren: I am eating Sardines RIGHT NOW :siren:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have finished the sardines.

I'm tempted to open a second tin.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i find the best cracker to use is a fork. it imparts no additional empty calories and is infinitely reusable

the yeti posted:

Gonna be sprats over roasted potato and onion tonight

ed:

These are yum; smokey, tender, not dry and crumbly the way I'm used to average larger sardines being. The fishy flavor is somewhere between tiny brislings and say brunswicks.

these look drat good, wish i could find them locally. right now it's tough to argue with the Polar kippers which I can get for $1.75 per tin and are delicious

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Made a half-assed sandwich with a can of Bumblebee sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce today and it was actually pretty good. The Bumbledee dines are clearly not good and kinda mushy, but slapped between two slices of lightly toasted bread they made a reductionist sort of dine salad sandwich that was fairly tasty.

I ate said sandwich over the kitchen sink for extra dad points, too.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
this thread is cool because it taught me a recipe i had never cooked before!

i like cooking up a batch of tater tots, stirring the parsley garlic and dines into the crunch tots, then cracking eggs over the whole mix and baking them. makes an awesome dinner and leaves enough left over to microwave in the morning for breakfast

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Epic High Five posted:

i find the best cracker to use is a fork. it imparts no additional empty calories and is infinitely reusable

these look drat good, wish i could find them locally. right now it's tough to argue with the Polar kippers which I can get for $1.75 per tin and are delicious

I suppose getting :eng101: about food costs is fairly dadly, so: what did it for me was realizing that while the cost per can (for 24) from amazon was only a little cheaper than KO brislings in my local supermarkets, the Riga cans are almost 2 ounces larger, 5.6oz vs 3.75.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This thread gettin pretty rigarous

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

pahuyuth posted:

Got some Crown Prince Natural Kippered Herring, and did not enjoy it very much :( There was barely any flavor to it all, least of all the naturally smoked. It was just bland. I like Brunswick kippered herring much better but I don't think it is MSC certified like the Crown Prince. Roland brand is pretty good though. Forgot about that one til just now.

Polar Kipper Snacks are easily the best I've found, but I don't think they are MSC certified. Is that really an issue w herring though?

BraveUlysses posted:

I bought these too but they're not very good. Olive oil and boneless skinless

Boneless skinless sardines pretty much all suck, just get tuna in oil if you just want "pure fish"

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Boneless skinless sardines pretty much all suck, just get tuna in oil if you just want "pure fish"

wrong

i make my sardicado sandwiches with bonelessskinless a lot

spanish style KO in particular > regular jalapeno KO

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Bosch posted:

wrong

i make my sardicado sandwiches with bonelessskinless a lot

spanish style KO in particular > regular jalapeno KO

Do you think the bones are icky or something

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I debone mine if i am not just eating them straight, the bones gently caress with texture.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

If you're using King Oscar, the bones should be pretty textureless. But I won't argue with anyone over how they like their dines.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
My roommate came home late last night and was hungry. He asks me if he can have the can of kippers I previlusly offered him. "Sure" I says, "Why don't you have them with that nice fresh baguette I bought". Soon he will be one of us. He will love the 'dine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

hey i was just tryna be dadly and save some money on dines and these are really regretful

but i'm too cheap to throw em out so

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

hey i was just tryna be dadly and save some money on dines and these are really regretful

but i'm too cheap to throw em out so

Yah its surprising how much they suck compared to regular dines IN THIS GOONS OPINION. Others may feel differently and thats ok

In other news: Paging Sheep-Goats :getin:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do it to it

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

If you're using King Oscar, the bones should be pretty textureless. But I won't argue with anyone over how they like their dines.

The really small ones are actually worse because they are harder to get 100% of, then the bits lend a grainy, chitnous quality to my sardine mash-paste. The Seasons I have been ordering are monstrous and delicious but the bones are 'uuuge, which makes them easier to pull out. I'm getting really efficient at halving and de-spining them with a fork.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

It was absolutely delicious....I had my doubts about the veggie choices but I followed it to the letter and yeah it was amazing. Oxtails seem like a hassle though, so I think I'll use ribs next time.

Thanks again brave goon

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sheep Goats Cooking College University College Prayer College University 500 Degrees

Oxtails are hassle always and forever but once in a while you get a wild hair

I actually bought some today to make for 90 year old Grandma. I asked her if she had ever had oxtail before and she said Oh yes. I asked How long ago? 40 years? And she said Oh heavens WAY more than 40 years ago.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 25, 2016

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Still catching up in the thread but tonight's dinner is Wild Planet sardines in olive oil doused in tabasco sauce, carrots and hummus, cheddar cheese, and some crackers. Good times.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Still catching up in the thread but tonight's dinner is Wild Planet sardines in olive oil doused in tabasco sauce, carrots and hummus, cheddar cheese, and some crackers. Good times.

the 3rd dong is for the love of dines right?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Dines have turned me into a full blown Sriracha addict. Thanks Dines.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Do you think the bones are icky or something

not at all BIG DICK BUTT gently caress, i just like the flavor of the spanish style, they're pretty dang great

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

DiggityDoink posted:

the 3rd dong is for the love of dines right?

no, the love is in my heart. the dongs are for my extra wide butthole

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oxtail at grandmas, waiting for the reduction

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
yeah, gonna get a big ol' bowl of oxtail soup next weekend

and share it with my daughter

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Tried the belas with the red pepper on the tin. Fish were large but decent. I detected no pepper flavor at all. Disappointed.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
is bela undead?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Bumblebee smoked oysters. Suggestions? Straight out the can, hot sauce, cracker?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
top a cucumber and tomato salad with them. make stuffing or cous cous with them, something that would benefit from a smoky flavor.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Tried the belas with the red pepper on the tin. Fish were large but decent. I detected no pepper flavor at all. Disappointed.

Bela is by far the best brand I've had yet, but the Lemon Olive Oil flavor is a bit too overpowering for me. Still the Bela fishies are big and tasty on their own. Way better than King Oscar IMO.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

pahuyuth posted:

Bela is by far the best brand I've had yet, but the Lemon Olive Oil flavor is a bit too overpowering for me. Still the Bela fishies are big and tasty on their own. Way better than King Oscar IMO.

Yeah I was excited to find them (found @ fresh market) because I've read good reviews and have never actually seen a can of them anywhere before. I was disappointed in the free-space in the can, the roughed-up appearance of the fish, and the lack of the advertised flavoring. The fish tasted fine though, and they weren't overcooked, and I found no scales at all..

Smaller 'dines are nice if you're eating in public and don't want to look extra-gross smashing up a sardine for a cracker at lunch, but I do think I like the Bela fish a bit more than some of the smaller KOs I've had. I think riga golds are the best though, and they're small.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Planet X posted:

Bumblebee smoked oysters. Suggestions? Straight out the can, hot sauce, cracker?

Yes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Protip for Easter: You can't make real deviled eggs without sardines.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Fister Roboto posted:

Protip for Easter: You can't make real deviled eggs without sardines.

i think you're wrong. i googled 'sardine deviled eggs' and found this

four things come to mind:
:barf:
:chloe:
the word "why"
the word "no"

vvv I concur

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I could see a bit of 'chovy paste in a devilled egg mixture though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Looks good to me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

anchovies are for mixin' boys

eat ur sardines with a fork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf