Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how long is the choker going to spend in jail? Because while the weirdo is clearly up to no good, he hasn't even touched anyone up to that point.

Josef bugman posted:

To be fair to him I have heard that he was one of the better ones and it is more the story and direction rather than the acting that is horrible.
Oh sure, the mistake was agreeing to appear in that piece of poo poo of a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

mobby_6kl posted:

So how long is the choker going to spend in jail? Because while the weirdo is clearly up to no good, he hasn't even touched anyone up to that point.

Probably none. In keeping with the forum title:
"Assault"
"At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.
An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.
Statutory definitions of assault in the various jurisdictions throughout the United States are not substantially different from the common-law definition."

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh sure, the mistake was agreeing to appear in that piece of poo poo of a movie.

Has anyone made it out of the Batman role in better shape than when they went in since Adam West?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Clitch posted:

Has anyone made it out of the Batman role in better shape than when they went in since Adam West?

I think Bale did pretty alright. 3 big rear end movies. Household name status. I mean, I know he was an accomplished actor since he was 13 but I always thought Batman blew him up

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Clooney has had a good post Batman career, though that's probably in spite of being Batman. Point stands

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I think in this case Val Kilmer is the exception since he has had a pretty middling career since Batman Forever. Everyone else, even Kevin Conroy, had a good career after their Batman tenure.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are we now at the point where we're retroactively making poo poo up about the older Batman films just to rip into the new one.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfR6jQvvs4

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Rick_Hunter posted:

I think in this case Val Kilmer is the exception since he has had a pretty middling career since Batman Forever. Everyone else, even Kevin Conroy, had a good career after their Batman tenure.

TBF, a lot of Kilmer's career problems are because of Kilmer, not because of Batman Forever.

As for Bale, I'm trying to think of a movie he was in that was bad or a bomb. Either he's just so good that he elevates every movie he's in, or he's savvy about which movies he does?

And before anyone says Reign of Fire, it did well money-wise and wasn't universally panned. A silly movie to be sure, but decent enough for what it was.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Terminator movie with new-Chekov wasn't a bomb but it wasn't very good either.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Equilibrium didn't too well either from what I recall.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I guess what I was trying to say was that playing Batman pretty much dings everybody. Even Bale gets poo poo for the voice. It's not a career ender, but nobody says, "Did you see him in Batman? Really impressive!"

Movie-written Batman is a weak character, and he doesn't do anyone who plays him any favors.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Arrath posted:

The Terminator movie with new-Chekov wasn't a bomb but it wasn't very good either.

Ah poo poo, I forgot about that one. Must've repressed the memory.

Transmogrifier posted:

Equilibrium didn't too well either from what I recall.

I liked it. :shrug: But yea, IIRC it didn't do well. Ok, my point has been disproved. :eng99:

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Clitch posted:

I guess what I was trying to say was that playing Batman pretty much dings everybody. Even Bale gets poo poo for the voice. It's not a career ender, but nobody says, "Did you see him in Batman? Really impressive!"

Movie-written Batman is a weak character, and he doesn't do anyone who plays him any favors.

Michael loving Keaton

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mobby_6kl posted:

True, loads of people are panning this but I think the one on the real receiving end of it is the director. I don't think he'll be put in charge of anything more complex than a whelk stall after this.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

KIT HAGS posted:

Michael loving Keaton

Michael Keaton's turn as Batman was such a career ender for him that he had to star in a super meta award-winning movie specifically about his futile efforts to move on from it, JUST to break out of its gravitational pull.

Dude's best movie for 20 years after Batman was loving Jack Frost.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Josef bugman posted:

True, loads of people are panning this but I think the one on the real receiving end of it is the director. I don't think he'll be put in charge of anything more complex than a whelk stall after this.

Entirely depends on whether it makes money.

Bay makes terrible transformer movies, but they earn the dosh for the studios

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

KIT HAGS posted:

Michael loving Keaton

If we were magically back in 1990, I'd agree with you. Batman Returns squandered a lot of good will. Also he was the last gasp of the "No really, even you could be a Hollywood stud." 1980s.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

God Hole posted:

Michael Keaton's turn as Batman was such a career ender for him that he had to star in a super meta award-winning movie specifically about his futile efforts to move on from it, JUST to break out of its gravitational pull.

Which he still denies is actually about him.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

God Hole posted:

What movie was this?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Karma Monkey posted:

What movie was this?

Birdman

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Still grump it wasn't a Harvey Birdman movie.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Chichevache posted:

If they're raised in captivity they're not toxic. :eng101:

Pretty expensive though. A bag with a dozen or so would probably be over $500.

I spent like 10 minutes talking to people about if you'd die from eating venomous animals or if you need to be stung or something so I could make that really bad post and I still got it wrong :(

I guess puffer fish would be the safe answer but that's not as funny to me as the image of LA Beast snarfin' down a bag of frogs

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Organisers cancel Sunday's Brussels attacks 'March Against Fear'

quote:

The organisers of a "March Against Fear" planned for Sunday to mark the Brussels terror attacks said they had cancelled the event after the authorities asked them to do so because of security fears.
Oops!

Josef bugman posted:

He already made Sucker Punch and Man of Steel before this, it's not like nobody knew what exactly he's going to do to the film. As spog says, if it makes any money, this'll just keep happening.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Man I forgot all about suckerpunch, what a piece of poo poo.

Throw that one in the "hyper violent but pg-13 cash grab" pile.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And to think that it wasn't so long ago when those of us who expressed concern re: LA Beast hurting himself were rebuffed with "Lol you just dont get it I guess"

A guy spiraling into self destructive madness isn't a pretty sight, but at least you're vindicated now. :jerkbag:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What was wrong with Sucker Punch (the movie)?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm sure other posters can talk your ear off about it, but for me the main problem was that the action scenes never had any stakes or really any reason for existing. Which is a shame, because they genuinely did look pretty cool in a power metal music video sort of way.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Only three things, really.

The beginning, the middle, and the end.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm sure other posters can talk your ear off about it, but for me the main problem was that the action scenes never had any stakes or really any reason for existing. Which is a shame, because they genuinely did look pretty cool in a power metal music video sort of way.

In addition to the action being boring due to lack of stakes, the entirety came off very exploitative. It's one of three movies I'm actually upset I wasted time watching even though it was free.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

RareAcumen posted:

While the action sequences were glossy and the normal Zack Snyder affair..

My main problem with it, is that Snyder was going to the mat that this was a feminist movie, but it was so cruel.

Baby Doll's Mom and Sister dies. Step Dad tosses her into a corrupt mental institution, and takes all her assets (I believe this was after she also rebuffed his advances, I recall hand on thigh, but it's been a while since I've seen the movie.)

The institution has a bunch of sexual abuse going on with the patients and the staff.

Baby Doll escapes to the first fantasy realm. Which is.. a brothel, where she dances to attract patrons. They also say they're going to auction off her virginity to High Roller.

When she dances, she mentally escapes to those battle field fight scenes, or when she's collecting items for escape. To escape the brothel she needs to find The Fire, The Map and the knife. and save Zelda from Ganon. Who's probably the victim of sexual assault because Snyder.

While she works on escaping the brothel in Dream Level 1, In the real world, Baby Doll gets lobotomized. The dude who lobotomizes Baby Doll is found to have forged the head of the institution's signature, so she finally calls the police. He's caught trying to sexually assault the lobotomized Baby Doll. When the police come one of Baby Doll's friends takes her and they evade police. Because, the police for some reason and taking care of a lobotomized person is easy, and they go off on their own.. and the end credits is them back in the brothel doing another dance to "Love is the Drug."

Edit: Okay. It'd be garbage even if he didn't proclaim it to be a feminist film. That's just more like salt in the wound.

PicklePants has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Mar 26, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Avenging_Mikon posted:

In addition to the action being boring due to lack of stakes, the entirety came off very exploitative. It's one of three movies I'm actually upset I wasted time watching even though it was free.

Nah see, it being exploitative was a commentary on the audience wanting films to be exploitative. :ironicat:

I don't think any film director has done the "true weirdo is ~you~" thing without coming across as an insufferably hypocritical dickbag in the process.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't think any film director has done the "true weirdo is ~you~" thing without coming across as an insufferably hypocritical dickbag in the process.

I dunno, everyone saw Uwe Boll as that long before he did gaming movies.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Phanatic posted:

"Inciting racial hatred." Free speech isn't really a thing that exists in the UK.

Can someone explain to me how being anti Muslim, or any other religion for that matter, is racist? I really want to know, because I feel like lately the two are being treated identically and they aren't the same.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh boy here we go.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Defghanistan posted:

Can someone explain to me how being anti Muslim, or any other religion for that matter, is racist? I really want to know, because I feel like lately the two are being treated identically and they aren't the same.

When people say muslim they usually mean those towel wearing brown people that scare me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Defghanistan posted:

Sikhs are often the victims of hate crimes under the impression their Muslims. Consider that. "Muslim" is just a convenient label for "the enemy", the same as saying internment camps weren't racist because they were technically the result of animosity with Japan the nation.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Movie derail!
Reboot!

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Hihohe posted:

When people say muslim they usually mean those towel wearing brown people that scare me.

I get that- but wasn't the woman in question identified as Caucasian? Wasn't the man in question identified as Caucasian?
Am I just confused here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Say Nothing posted:

Movie derail!
Reboot!

how