Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

I'm really, really curious what exactly this collapsing will look like. What level of things going wrong will be big enough to cause a chain reaction of many people actually bailing? Or will they just slowly peter out and basically stop ever updating without informing anyone/pretending to still be working, all the diehards still sitting around and waiting for years to come?

Considering the gullibility of the relevant parties, I'm pretty confident they can just scale down to a skeleton crew of paycheck collectors and say 'yeah we're totally working on it, any day now' and collect a couple mill a year for at least a few years after the collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Neutron Bandit posted:

D) Despite the SQ42 priority, SCultists are not disuaded and anyone looking for proof a single-player experience can even exist will come up short.

None of this makes any sense.

Hey man, we got ladder animations in the game, anything else is a SPOILER.

It's alpha, wait no PRE-alpha, because alpha has more stuff, just have faith. Having sense is for leavers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WebDog posted:

I'm really curious to see his look when this collapses as you can't blame Microsoft or publishers this time.

:cmon: WebDog, you know drat well they'll blame Derek and his goonies.

That's the only thing they'll ever be right about :smug:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Neutron Bandit posted:

I've read a lot of this thread and the one thing I cant understand is this:
A) The game made most of its money on the Star Citizen module, NOT SQ42

B) The development manpower has been almost entirely diverted to the single-player Squadron 42. This is not private knowledge.

C) To my knowledge, not a single microcosm of the work of the AI team has been demonstrated. There is no NPC enemy to fight.

D) Despite the SQ42 priority, SCultists are nor disuaded and anyone looking for proof a single-player experience can even exist will come up short.

None of this makes any sense.

It seems most backers either don't believe or don't want to believe that the Persistent Universe / Game everyone wanted is virtually cancelled for Squadron 42. It's not really been announced or anything, And CIG are just silently shocking the corpse of their tech demo with a tazer as a distraction.

All the talk about the SQ42 push came from "Internal Sources" that really only get posted here, so the general population of CIG donors either haven't heard it or have dismissed it. Something official (like the heads of the PU development leaving / any setback to the PU / MMO caused by SQ42.) would change that though.

I'm positive more people would be in an uproar if it was publicly acknowledged that the persistent universe wasn't happening and the only thing that might even get done is Chris's new movie. People were fine with that poo poo being worked on when it looked like the PU / MMO was actually being worked on and was going to be complimented by SQ42 and not replaced by it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So I'm looking at upgrading a new computer. Intel i7-6700k, Z170 motherboard, 32 GB DDR4 3400 RAM, and SLI GTX 980X. This is a computer that I expect to last ~5 years until I need to do a full upgrade again. All in all, around ~2000 dollars.

I was looking at my steam wishlist. Every game, during not a sale, would cost around ~2000 as well.

So... if I put 4,000 dollars into entertainment, I could have 100+ new steam games, many of which are just released, and an uber high end gaming rig, both of which should keep me busy for half a dozen years.

... There are probably more than two thousand people who put the same amount or more into Star Citizen :psyduck: I just want to put that out there while I was looking at my dream shopping list.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

WebDog posted:

The follower I know must have hit his head hard on something as a child.

His main comeback for Elite is that it doesn't run on Linux.

But Star Citizen doesn't run on Linux either?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Mirificus posted:

But Star Citizen doesn't run on Linux either?

Dreams can run on any OS you want them to.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Thank you, this is a great write-up.

I'll throw some wild conjecture in that is almost assuredly wrong. Based on what Derek has been saying I think its possible some major restructuring is going on in terms of these offices. Time to cut down on the overhead. Foundry is working on the all-important SQ42, but in terms of lifestyle, Chris and Sandi adore LA. So the plan becomes transplanting SQ42 work to LA (and fortunately there's a mocap studio in place now!). Erin brings his core team over. Foundry 42 Manchester becomes operational in name only, like Austin. LA Designers and producers working on SC proper are poo poo-canned or are already electing to leave. Get rid of all that mess, its just getting way in the vision. Erin is in town to help coordinate the move.

Ambien is the best ok goodnight.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

G0RF posted:

We know it's possible Derek knows the details through well-placed sources and he's laughing reading above because it's so off base. I'm not invested in any specific theories because we don't have enough info to really commit to one. It IS weird Erin is there while Chris is gone, that we do know. It's also true that the cash engine MAY have thrown a piston (though this remains to be fully proven.) Are these two things related? We don't know. Is something big afoot? Most likely. What could that be? Anything.

One step that would be expected near the end of the projects lifetime is the closure of a studio to cut costs. The best thing about that is they would close one that is supposed to be working on what everyone wants / paid for to toss more cash bricks into the furnace on SQ42.

"CLOSE THE PU STUDIO! Squadron 42 needs more motion capture. Hours 7-9 in the cutscenes need better pacing and we aren't creating new content, we are frantically searching for something we haven't stolen from which takes way longer."

I'd speculate either something as serious as that, or an A-Lister (Gary Oldman / Gillian Anderson) someone major backing out of the project completely because of how toxic the star citizen cultist community is. Someone they've based a lot of time or money on, like re-shoots for the entire mocap they had already done, wasting millions upon millions of dollars. They might not be broke right now and can continue to operate, but losing Admiral Bishop or something means they need more of the already multi million dollar motion capture (which may be in the tens of millions easily since it started) cash they might be failing to make from further milking of their customers.

I hope an A-Lister left because of the cultists.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Thank you, this is a great write-up.

I'll throw some wild conjecture in that is almost assuredly wrong. Based on what Derek has been saying I think its possible some major restructuring is going on in terms of these offices. Time to cut down on the overhead. Foundry is working on the all-important SQ42, but in terms of lifestyle, Chris and Sandi adore LA. So the plan becomes transplanting SQ42 work to LA (and fortunately there's a mocap studio in place now!). Erin brings his core team over. Foundry 42 Manchester becomes operational in name only, like Austin. LA Designers and producers working on SC proper are poo poo-canned or are already electing to leave. Get rid of all that mess, its just getting way in the vision. Erin is in town to help coordinate the move.

Ambien is the best ok goodnight.

^^Efb

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

This dude is dumb, scummy, and a lovely liar. He's a perfect fit for the SC ecosystem.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 27, 2016

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Fat Shat Sings posted:

All the talk about the SQ42 push came from "Internal Sources" that really only get posted here, so the general population of CIG donors either haven't heard it or have dismissed it.

I get that a lot of this SQ42 ramp-up has come from information from this thread but a cursory analysis of Chris Roberts' career exposes his priorities. From Wing Commander to Strike Commander to his terrible Wing Commander movie, it's obvious that priority #1 for this guy is structured narrative over the 'create your own story' philosophy of people like Richard Garriot.

The amount of willful denial over what Star Citizen has actually added since the PTU was implemented is astounding.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

did you send him the background images as well

also

quote:

Although Ryan completely drew the three Personality images

my entire rear end

all of it

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4psKYpfnYs

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

what a dumb piece of poo poo. get 'em boys

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol, he knows and doesn't care, Star Traders and Star Citizen are a good fit

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Prop Wash posted:

:vince:

at this point i seriously doubt there's a single piece of original art in this game

at this point i seriously doubt there's a single piece of original art in this game

Azram Legion posted:

Well, I guess plagiarism sort of fits with the whole 'the most derivative and boring universe in sci-fi' theme that Chris likes so much. No wonder they hired this "artist" to "work" on their "project".

Well, I guess plagiarism sort of fits with the whole 'the most derivative and boring universe in sci-fi' theme that Chris likes so much. No wonder they hired this "artist" to "work" on their "project".

ideate posted:

Confirmation Erin Roberts has been fired after an attempted hostile takeover of CIG

Conf... okay, what?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Erin Roberts confronts brother Chris about their issues, but is rused when Chris switches their name tags, leaving his brother to be Chris Roberts and deal with the mess of Star Citizen's imminent collapse.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Erin Roberts confronts brother Chris about their issues, but is rused when Chris switches their name tags, leaving his brother to be Chris Roberts and deal with the mess of Star Citizen's imminent collapse.

Sounds like the TV Guide summary blurb for the upcoming movie about this disaster.

Star Citizen(Comedy/Drama) - An inept ex-game developer and his talentless, egotistical wife luck into $110 million dollars and try to make an online game for autistic men.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Fronts posted:

Conf... okay, what?

Try and keep up kid, we've been talking about it for the last couple of hours in the real thread: You must have a Platinum account to read this.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scruffpuff posted:

Sounds like the TV Guide summary blurb for the upcoming movie about this disaster.

Star Citizen(Comedy/Drama) - An inept ex-game developer and his talentless, egotistical wife luck into $110 million dollars and try to make an online game for autistic men.

spring time for sandi in germany

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Thank you Pgabz, but it's Easter, not Christmas

Then again, CIG might not exist long enough for your SC Christmas special

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Scruffpuff posted:

In this week's episode Erin finally has the ship pipeline working, but hilarity ensues when an intoxicated Ben's Spicy Chicken Wing Commander marathon leads to it getting clogged! Will they be able to retrieve the second seat for their new sale, or are some things better left untouched?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

In this week's episode Erin finally has the ship pipeline working, but hilarity ensues when an intoxicated Ben's Spicy Chicken Wing Commander marathon leads to it getting clogged! Will they be able to retrieve the second seat for their new sale, or are some things better left untouched?

This week, Chris mistakes a cardboard cutout of Sandi for the real thing, leading to some awkward moments during their anniversary dinner. Meanwhile, Ben searches for a missing seat, without alerting the backers who have already paid for it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fawlty Towers would be the perfect template for a comedy series about CIG.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
personally I'd say seinfeld, since that's basically "lovely people do lovely things, then complain about the consequences in private while trying to not look lovely in public"

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Mmmm scummy.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sillybones posted:

Mmmm scummy.

Ahrlad is continuing the good fight on the comments page :allears:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I miss ManOfManyAnuses.

Yeah! Shitposting at 4:00 am.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

personally I'd say seinfeld, since that's basically "lovely people do lovely things, then complain about the consequences in private while trying to not look lovely in public"

For me it's the hilarious comedy of escalating errors, most of which are caused by them trying to cover up earlier errors, and the lies just reaching critical mass.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

It's a show about releasing nothing!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

trucutru posted:

I miss ManOfManyAnuses.

Yeah! Shitposting at 4:00 am.

i had a brilliant idea on how to solve a programming problem, and promptly lost it because i got distracted by the star citizen thread

:five:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

i had a brilliant idea on how to solve a programming problem, and promptly lost it because i got distracted by the star citizen thread

Do it the CIG way and just release it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Has Cribcrobs fled the country yet?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Did you try making a custom EMM386 .bat? That usually solves any wing-commander related issue.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

trucutru posted:

Did you try making a custom EMM386 .bat? That usually solves any wing-commander related issue.

Better solution: Don't play Wing Commander.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Has Cribcrobs fled the country yet?

Yeah, he's in the UK I think

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Daztek posted:

Do it the CIG way and just release it

24 hours later the PGS E:D thread lynches me

trucutru posted:

except FidelityOutOfBoundsException, e:
print "Thank you for playing Star Citizen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

trucutru posted:

:cmon: WebDog, you know drat well they'll blame Derek and his goonies.

That's the only thing they'll ever be right about :smug:
Well I'm curious to what the hell will happen beyond the obvious finger pointing.

Typically when something game-wise fails usually the buck is passed onto another developer and/or the publisher eats the cost, usually at the loss of a studio and the reputation of any star developer. The best case scenario is someone like Ken Lavine. Worst case; Denis Dyack.

The Kickstarter trend tends to lean on the self-proclaimed ideas-person completely burning out on their own success when under pressure to actually realise their proof of concept. This is in part fuelled by there being less distance between the backer and the creator and no doubt the stresses of having to fulfil this can feel like a personal obligation instead of a contract via a third party.

No doubt Chris feels that stress which is only added to by his vision barely standing up by itself and not being finished in two years. Going by the scant reports that he became very lazy at Digital Anvil, barely turning in to work before 2PM I suspect there's similar behaviours happening and most of it strongly under the influence of a coping mechanism.

You wonder if Erin is well aware of his brother's deteriorating capabilities and is trying to find a solution, perhaps put Chris in a name-only role to keep the faith. I suspect any grand takeover would be blocked by Ortwin who wants this to play out so he gets something from the long game investment beyond whatever he can siphon. If Erin is wanting out, as people have alluded to, he will make sure his bridges are intact as possible and go back to working in another studio or form something of his own.

If there was a takeover the only thing that is possibly salvageable is Arena Commander, which I'm sure could to patched up into something akin to Elite's arena game.

It would be golden if EA sees a chance and relaunches Wing Commander with exiled Erin Roberts as creative director.

• Locked thread