Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

D1E posted:

I don't think you understand cultist mentality.

They would simply:

1) Denounce the author of the game design practices book as a fraud/Derek Smart alt
2) State that these best design practices were before the Chris Roberts revolution of agile global development with no publisher pressures
3) Climb into mommy's lap and beg her to "make the bad men go away"

no, no, you're figuring that they get close enough to acknowledge/contest it

i'm wondering if i just packed it into a bag and brought it to citcon how many of them would feel physically uncomfortable just from it being nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Prop Wash posted:

If they're ok with cockpit shots then I hope they're ok with hordes of goons firing a million projectiles at them for the golden bullet effect

I mean who spends $30,000 on autism chariots then claims to want a mechanic where any given shot fired has a 1 in 1000 chance of killing you instantly

if the people who want cockpit shots are the same people who want permadeath then lmbo

also lol at cockpit shots instakilling but you still can't kill someone in the pilot's seat

how much you want to bet that the person-to-ship flip is keeping a "headshot" zone that ends up in the vicinity of the cockpit

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It's a good thing they test patches thoroughly and don't push them to live prematurely for a sale

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Daztek posted:

Edit:

Sale is going well too

Wow, still a bit early to call though. Probably need to see the next couple days etc, but... Will this be the inevitable funding inflexion point in SC? Will we at some point in the future be able to look back at the Starfarer sale and say: "See, son, that is when everyone started to wake up".

Either way I agree with the views that this will not be a sudden stop but a slow and gradual process. As a certain wise man put it some time ago over an actual critical inflexion point in history in North Africa: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 27, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Daztek posted:

It's a good thing they test patches thoroughly and don't push them to live prematurely for a sale

Audi Issues

I can't make the payment on my car this month because I spent the money on a space ship.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Did some work on posting the StarTraders bullshit on reddit and other sites they use as reference. Doubt it will get any traction with only a couple of hours left but doing the right thing feels good.

http://fg-2.com/2016/03/15/interview-with-david-ladyman-of-origincloud-imperiumtraders-luck-games/
http://www.dicegeeks.com/star-traders/#comment-6624
https://www.reddit.com/r/shittykickstarters/comments/4c58lu/startraders_board_game_uses_stolen_artwork_to/

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4c59bx/startraders_board_game_uses_stolen_artwork_to/

and a couple of others i am too lazy and sick to link. Back to bed for me.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 27, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:chloe:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I will feel genuine grief once this whole thing falls apart completely, after our long period of gloating, making fun of the remaining cultists, and long-rehash of critical events in the timeline which led to the destruction of CIG and Chris Roberts' reputation. I imagine that could even go on for at least a year after Chris publicly blames Derek Smart for the failure of the project and announces he is moving back to movie production.

This has been the greatest thread in Something Awful forum history. What will I do when it's gone?

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

D1E posted:

I will feel genuine grief once this whole thing falls apart completely, after our long period of gloating, making fun of the remaining cultists, and long-rehash of critical events in the timeline which led to the destruction of CIG and Chris Roberts' reputation. I imagine that could even go on for at least a year after Chris publicly blames Derek Smart for the failure of the project and announces he is moving back to movie production.

This has been the greatest thread in Something Awful forum history. What will I do when it's gone?

Move on to the next train wreck of cause. With so many idiots out there that have access to the internet exposing their lunacy to everyone you can be assured there will be much comedy for as long as you live.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

I don't know who made this

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Skellybones posted:

I don't know who made this

Just put your name on it and its yours

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Hey guys and gals.

I've decided to bite the bullet and make myself an avatar pic. After a lot of work (I'm not much of an artist), I created the following, but I can't decide which one to use. Maybe you could help me out and let me know which one you think is best.
If I remember correctly, the image needs to be 100k or below, which proved to be more of a challenge than I thought. However with very careful use of GIMP, I think I was able to retain legibility while keep the file size down.

Despite the sweat and tears, I actually found it quite enjoyable to create these, and am seriously considering becoming a professunal digital autist

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The ending of this video is a loving masterpiece.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
These avs are free to a good home

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wrecked Angle posted:

The guys a loving phoney just like half the rest of the "staff" of CIG I'm sure. Look at this poo poo from his website...

He even plastered his name all over it like he's loving proud.

Dude, you traced over a loving cell from Family Guy!

Then there's his loving pencil drawing of Katniss Everdeen...

'nuff said. The guy should be shamed out the loving industry!

i just

i

jesus, gently caress

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like how the player instantly gains all the thrust from the ship when he floats over it. Its like there is a physics grid that surrounds the ship an you gain it just by getting near it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
All this plagiarism has me more determined than ever to be original inside and outside this thread, even if 99% of my poo poo is 99% poo poo at least it's my poo poo and I've done it all by my own hand.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
All this plagiarism has me more determined than ever to be original inside and outside this thread, even if 99% of my poo poo is 99% poo poo at least it's my poo poo and I've done it all by my own hand.

- R. Archer

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I hope one day before it all burns CIG fucks up to the point that every player gets an individual physics grid at all times.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i love it when any one of them really, honestly, unironically subscribes to the idea that people are willingly going to (pay $30 to) walk into this space ship flight sim game and RP mopping the floors of someone's $5,000 autism chariot for a month or two until they can afford a fighter, and also think that the mopper will get paid a fair wage because if the chariot-owner didn't pay them then word would get around and then you wouldn't be able to hire anyone else to rp mopping the floors

i wonder how many of them would shrivel and die vampire-style if exposed to any game design best practices book

i also wonder how many of these guys are libertarians of the "indentured servitude isn't technically slavery and it should totally be legal if two consenting adults enter into a contract where someone's getting paid under minimum wage and you should be grateful you have a job at all" flavor

To be fair, most of those guys are probably powerless husks of human beings in real life and paid for their autism chariots by maxing their credit cards, so the idea of being important enough others would work for you must be their major fantasy.

i also wonder how many of these guys are libertarians of the "indentured servitude isn't technically slavery and it should totally be legal if two consenting adults enter into a contract where someone's getting paid under minimum wage and you should be grateful you have a job at all" flavor

The existence of people like this makes me glad laws are in place to prevent some poor dumb bastard from selling away his freedom or life to a Captain of Industry.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 27, 2016

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Isn't this guy a concept artist? I thought it was their MO to copy and steal and draw over and all that other junk to get concepts out as fast as possible. Is this not a case of him not realising that internal concept art is the only place where that is appropriate?

Of course, your portfolio would be filed with original works, not traces and poo poo. Or your actual loving public work. What is going on? Is this real life?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ponzi posted:

Hey guys and gals.

I've decided to bite the bullet and make myself an avatar pic. After a lot of work (I'm not much of an artist), I created the following, but I can't decide which one to use. Maybe you could help me out and let me know which one you think is best.
If I remember correctly, the image needs to be 100k or below, which proved to be more of a challenge than I thought. However with very careful use of GIMP, I think I was able to retain legibility while keep the file size down.

Despite the sweat and tears, I actually found it quite enjoyable to create these, and am seriously considering becoming a professunal digital autist

God drat, impressive work commando o7

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

Those are loving scary pies, sir. What a bunch of total loving morons.

:five: :five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

hakimashou posted:

wait derek smart did you seriously not do the goondeyadda yet?

also what happened to beer and bootcha do they not post anymore in here?

Sadly no, I never got around to it. I did have an idea to sing it live; during one of my station tours (I did one yesterday btw; it was fun) and dancing (using the 9 LOD gestures).

Bootcha is laying low for a bit. Had a chat with him the other say on Skype.

Beer is still around. He popped in about 20 pages ago.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Looking at the RSI funding graph figures, is it possible March will be worse for them funding wise than last September?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

I think its like I said before, they are in a cascade failure and pulling out anything and everything to try and stop it, which won't work. I wouldn't be surprised if they stop letting people use store credit for a period of time on new ships as they come out.

I agree. But though it would cause a major uproar, I think they will just ignore it, and ride the storm.

The token and melting are really hurting them now. That's what happens when bad decisions come home to roost.

Thing is, since they are well aware that they're in a cascade, I don't think they care anymore who they piss off. It's just the End Of Days money grab now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LOL!!! I knew they'd release 2.3 even though it's not ready because they want to flog those Starfarers. But I didn't think they'd be dumb enough to actually DO it.

Then they did.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 27, 2016

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Sillybones posted:

Isn't this guy a concept artist? I thought it was their MO to copy and steal and draw over and all that other junk to get concepts out as fast as possible. Is this not a case of him not realising that internal concept art is the only place where that is appropriate?

Of course, your portfolio would be filed with original works, not traces and poo poo. Or your actual loving public work. What is going on? Is this real life?

Well yeah sort of, the idea is to either come up with something from your head or the designer, or look to other stuff as inspiration. But even an early crude sketch should never be lifted completely from something else, ever. Any good artist should have been able to draw a woman standing in some sort of flight gear like that with little to no reference, let alone copying/tracing over something.

This guy is a lovely artist, no doubt about it. Saying it's 'concept art' is not carte blanche to just steal poo poo wholesale.

And anyway this stuff isn't concept art anyway; this is promotional art, it's not internal concept art not intended to be distributed or seen, it's front and center in the campaign! This guy most likely had plenty of time to create interesting planets, characters, and all sorts of stuff without having to steal them from other artists piecemeal. This guy is just a lazy hack, that's the problem, and they all hoped they could get away with it.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 27, 2016

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

KiddieGrinder posted:

Well yeah sort of, the idea is to either come up with something from your head or the designer, or look to other stuff as inspiration. But even an early crude sketch should never be lifted completely from something else, ever. Any good artist should have been able to draw a woman standing in some sort of flight gear like that with little to no reference, let alone copying/tracing over something.

This guy is a lovely artist, no doubt about it. Saying it's 'concept art' is not carte blanche to just steal poo poo wholesale.

And anyway this stuff isn't concept art anyway; this is art. It's promotional art, it's not internal concept art not intended to be distributed or seen, it's front and center in the campaign!

Its not his fault he fell off his bike and broke his integrity.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

So noone can take off anymore? I expected the RSI forum to be exploding, but i couldn't find any complaints.. Do they have a technical issues sub thats hidden from non-backers? (and if so, lol)

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Pebergehund posted:

So noone can take off anymore? I expected the RSI forum to be exploding, but i couldn't find any complaints.. Do they have a technical issues sub thats hidden from non-backers? (and if so, lol)

True Star Citizen aficionados don't fly their ships, commando.

They simply admire them in their hangar whilst stroking themselves.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sillybones posted:

well there's two types of concept art: the "take real pictures and slice them to the point of unrecognizability" environmental concept art, and the "sketch up a dude in an outfit, copy-paste it 20 times and make 20 different tweaks" character/outfit concept art.

note how both of these require some modicum of skill in art. also note how none of those are "Ctrl-C a picture from deviantart, slap someone else's head on it and call it finished"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yeah, because that's normal. Or honest. After going on the record and saying - several times - that the project could still be finished if funding dried up. Yeah, OK

quote:

The $250 Vanduul Blade goes on sale just 1 week ago… a “flyable ship” sale added to it, and out comes Patch 2.3.0 with another ship sale.

The Starfarer was $175 originally. The Starfarer Gemini was $220. Now, the hangar ready Starfarer is $300.

At the same time, the Khartu is on sale, again, because it is flyable for $170 instead of $150.

No, not desperate at all.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

They cannot ignore this anymore

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mods can we have a Not Games subforum where we exclusively talk about all of the games that have failed? Star Citizen, That Which Sleeps, Revival, Crimson Haze, etc.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

did you send him the background images as well

I sent him every single piece of evidence directly to him via facebook yesterday. I did so, so that he would have no excuse. I showed him the backgrounds too.

Looks like he chose immersive lies than integrity. gently caress him. Burn it the ground. He had his chance to do the right thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Tophat posted:

I sent him every single piece of evidence directly to him via facebook yesterday. I did so, so that he would have no excuse. I showed him the backgrounds too.

Looks like he chose immersive lies than integrity. gently caress him. Burn it the ground. He had his chance to do the right thing.

i was hoping to see it posted on the comments but i realized that the venn diagram of "star trader backers" and "this forum" is probably literally null

the pictures posted hit the armor and the planet background so that's good, i think it's getting fed from goons posting to that one rpg forum

also this smug rear end in a top hat

is either so generic that he looks like every 90s comic hero or i've seen him somewhere

sadly just the face isn't enough to really get any use from GIS

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

My guess based on two events: Erin visiting the LA office, and Chris visiting the UK office. Something is wrong with SQ42. They hit some kind of critical blocker - something that deeply threatens their ability not only to reach a release date, but possibly release anything at all. Chris was in the UK to wave his hands around and think he's "directing" the project, and Erin was in the US getting with the team who knows anything at all about the janky code he's trying to build a game from, hoping to take back any information he can to help him move this shitshow along.

Erin is exec producer for all the teams. He took over from Alex Mayberry. Also, he doesn't need to be in the US - in person - to talk to the US team about dev. That's why they have been using conference (Skype once in awhile) calling software for sometime now.

No, he's in the US for specific - and completely different - reasons.

That is all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm going by a recent video they released that had developers in LA talking about how much trouble they were having with ship physics and whatnot. They were changing numbers all over the place and the physics would work, then not work, then work again, and they had no idea why any of it was happening. So there is something going on in LA. I can't say what percentage of their work is making it into the code builds, though. With development this open, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

LOL!!

Remember back when the Spergs were all rejoicing that Foundry42 (Frankfurt), made up of ex-CryTek guys "who wrote the CryEngine" were going to make it all better?

And I said: yeah, that's bullshit.

Here we are commandos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Skellybones posted:

These avs are free to a good home

I'll take one!

• Locked thread