Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

"If it bothered Kickstarter they would have pulled it already"

Lol clearly this dude has never looked at any kickstarter projects other than the ones Crobblets points at and commands him to back.

Yeah, because KS has a staff who's only job is to check EVERY image on EVERY KS for the chance of outright theft. Also, they check every sentence for plagiarism.

And they have a staff dedicated to monkeys flying out of my rear end too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
see you all in the 'verse

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Sunswipe posted:

Or is saying he knows stuff purely so CIG will gently caress up even more in an attempt to prove him wrong. Best not to worry about it, just enjoy the ride, commando. \o

the ride could be better without derek's flailing hands slapping me in the back of the head every time we crest a hill

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.
Can't believe that these guys are going on full defense mode and saying it's perfectly acceptable to do it.. and these "parody" excuses. What in the actual gently caress.

Yes, I can understand quick concepts put together for internal use or for further inspiration but NOT when it's being used to promote stuff or campaign for money!

I know it's all too common of a practice when it comes to artwork but it doesn't make it acceptable. It might be an unfortunate fact but that doesn't make it acceptable.
And I can guarantee that Archer would throw a fit if someone claimed credit for his "artwork" in money-begging campaign. Oh it's only a parody when you do it?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

$42,499

AHAHAHHA gently caress you, you thieving bastards.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This is gonna be some Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy poo poo, isn't it?

It already is actually.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

see y'all in court

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Since they are fine with ripping people off, surely they'd be OK if we scanned the game for TTSim and played it in goon game night

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Daztek posted:

Once this and Star Citizen go down in flames no sane person would dare call anything Star <something> in fear of getting ruined by goons lol

What's that, Eonwe? The Star Alarm has sounded? Quickly, :pgabz:, to the Goonmobile!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lonkface posted:

Can't believe that these guys are going on full defense mode and saying it's perfectly acceptable to do it.. and these "parody" excuses. What in the actual gently caress.

Yes, I can understand quick concepts put together for internal use or for further inspiration but NOT when it's being used to promote stuff or campaign for money!

I know it's all too common of a practice when it comes to artwork but it doesn't make it acceptable. It might be an unfortunate fact but that doesn't make it acceptable.
And I can guarantee that Archer would throw a fit if someone claimed credit for his "artwork" in money-begging campaign. Oh it's only a parody when you do it?

The game is the parody

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Eonwe posted:

Since they are fine with ripping people off, surely they'd be OK if we scanned the game for TTSim and played it in goon game night

In the spirit of their game I will claim this was my idea all along

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

titaniumone posted:

i like to imagine derek doesn't have a legal team involved in any of this because it's insane to think he's spending tens of thousands of dollars (or more) running down imaginary boogeymen

i don't have to imagine very hard

It works out best if you imagine that legal refers to a pair of very patient labradors

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

Only if you run it through some PS filters

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

What's that, Eonwe? The Star Alarm has sounded? Quickly, :pgabz:, to the Goonmobile!

I'll be there

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

titaniumone posted:

the ride could be better without derek's flailing hands slapping me in the back of the head every time we crest a hill

Maybe this isn't the thread for you. :smuggo:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

As a parody, someone who make some Goon Trader "art" and send him copies saying we need kickstarter money.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually someone put up a pretty decent post on reddit over here

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4c59bx/startraders_board_game_uses_stolen_artwork_to/

which seems to only have about half the pictures, but it's a decent jumping off point.

Someone post the same thread to the SC reddit. To compare and contrast.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Xaerael posted:

$42,499

AHAHAHHA gently caress you, you thieving bastards.

lol

Goon justice is swift and harsh

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
It has to be labradors, theyre the best at looking beleaguered

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Here's a thing my friend made.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Chairman Wao posted:

Here's a thing my friend made.

lol

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

i think that star citizen is just performance art

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

these days any time i see someone doing something strange i am just pretty sure that it is performance art

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Happy Sisyphus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 27, 2016

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Daztek posted:

The image is from Pathfinder which is published by Paizo, but I have no idea how the DnD/WoTC/Paizo/Hasbro stuff goes

:eng101: Pathfinder is a company that makes a D&D derivative product under the Open Gaming Licence, and while they used to be associated with WotC/Hasbro, they aren't any more. The OGL legality is complicated, but Paizo have copyright on all strictly original content and artworks - in other words, the character and art ripped off. They can sue, WotC/Hasbro can't.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Reminder to people who P2SP (pledged to shitpost), GET A REFUND (actually, just cancel your pledge when you're done pissing in the well.)

It'll be loving awful if they get funded by like, $2 because 3 goons kicked a dollar in each to take a dump on their criminal operation.

Also, I hope we don't get in trouble with the meatball mafia over this. :ohdear:

ideate
Aug 20, 2002
hey speaking of kickstarters

you guys remember this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/posts/447699?cursor=2666126

who has their crossbow!!?

UEE Restriction: RED

also is "Shroud of the Avatar" a real game now or is there a thread on bizarro SA like this one?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Xaerael posted:

Reminder to people who P2SP (pledged to shitpost), GET A REFUND (actually, just cancel your pledge when you're done pissing in the well.)

It'll be loving awful if they get funded by like, $2 because 3 goons kicked a dollar in each to take a dump on their criminal operation.

Also, I hope we don't get in trouble with the meatball mafia over this. :ohdear:

If they get funded, they'll be in hot water since money changed hands based in part on stolen IP.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ideate posted:

you guys remember this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/posts/447699?cursor=2666126

also is "Shroud of the Avatar" a real game now or is there a thread on bizarro SA like this one?

September 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sedisp posted:

In the spirit of their game I will claim this was my idea all along

:yeah:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Murderion posted:

If they get funded, they'll be in hot water since money changed hands based in part on stolen IP.

They actually are already in hot water. You don't actually need to profit from the use of Copyrighted material, you only need to be proven to have intended to.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It makes me wonder how much other stuff Ryan Archer has ripped off

like this for example

is almost the exact same spaceship position as this, posted on archer's official artstation page

both are official art but dollars to donuts the background layer on the second image is ripped off from somewhere else, unfortunately it's been run through enough lovely photoshop filters that it's difficult to find a match

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ideate posted:

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS PRE-ALPHA.

el oh el

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xaerael posted:

They actually are already in hot water. You don't actually need to profit from the use of Copyrighted material, you only need to be proven to have intended to.

Whenever IP theft comes up, and the many excuses attempted to cover it up, I'm reminded of this little scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48 — so fidelitous.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS PRE-ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT

Why are there words after those.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ideate posted:

you guys remember this?

Shroud of the Suckatar more like.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

As a parody, someone who make some Goon Trader "art" and send him copies saying we need kickstarter money.

Toops has Solar Plebian, who has Trader Plebian?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

like this for example

is almost the exact same spaceship position as this, posted on archer's official artstation page

both are official art but dollars to donuts the background layer on the second image is ripped off from somewhere else, unfortunately it's been run through enough lovely photoshop filters that it's difficult to find a match

that's super hard to figure out, see:

Daztek posted:

This thing from jumppoint showed promise

It's the east coast from space at night but its minor at best compared to everything else
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...istance/252600/

Space station in the BG is sadly original do not steel CIG art

explosion graphic looks like a random one from google, but those are hard to recover because there are thousands

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

Toops has Solar Plebian, who has Trader Plebian?

Solar Merchant :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Prop Wash posted:

like this for example

http://pics-about-space.com/best-ring-nebula-wallpapers?p=2

Look at the exploding planet earth one. Looks like a match to me if you rotate the image a bit, and make it blurry.

• Locked thread