Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Dang Randy Bennett turned down an offer from UNLV. I want to believe it's because most coaches are gonna wait where they're at until a P5 job comes knocking but the truth is UNLV is a huge mess :smith:

edit: Zimmerman is signing with an agent and is draft bound. Good luck dude.

Lessail fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Randy Bennett turning down UNLV is unsurprising. Why would he leave St. Mary's for anything less than a prestigious job?

Still, I would like to see UNLV get a good coach. With Boise and Fresno looking to have a down year, it's going to be up to UNLV to pick up the slack.

I'd say UNM as well, but I have no faith in my team right now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FartingBedpost posted:

Randy Bennett turning down UNLV is unsurprising. Why would he leave St. Mary's for anything less than a prestigious job?

Still, I would like to see UNLV get a good coach. With Boise and Fresno looking to have a down year, it's going to be up to UNLV to pick up the slack.

Can someone please pick up the slack

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

FartingBedpost posted:

UNLV isn't going to hire a good coach because nothing works at UNLV. Athletics should be ended. Burn all the banners, wipe the school from every record book.

edit: it's between Menzies and Chris Beard and Beard is going to end up at Vandy

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Ross Angeles posted:

Don't hold your breath, unless you have a way to get UNLV and UNM better coaches and make Marvelle Harris magically becomes a junior again.

Edit: gently caress it is going to be Reno.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 28, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

It's probably gonna be Reno :suicide:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is calling them Reno supposed to be an insult? Like people don't actually get confused if you refer to Nevada and think you're talking about UNLV, right? Serious question

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

OctoberBlues posted:

Is calling them Reno supposed to be an insult? Like people don't actually get confused if you refer to Nevada and think you're talking about UNLV, right? Serious question
Like UM and OSU have Ohio and That Team Up North, so too do we and UNLV have Nevada Southern and Reno

Make of that what you will

EDIT: Slightly different rationale but it's the same goofy rivalry stuff.

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 28, 2016

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

OctoberBlues posted:

New Mexicans do it because 90% of us do get confused.

UNM fans are historically equal parts stupid and fanatical though.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

That's cool, it's interesting to hear about little things like that, that you wouldn't otherwise know about. Cyclone fans call Iowa fans "Hoks" as an insult for some reason and I'm sure Iowa fans have their own dumb things I've mentally blocked out.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

OctoberBlues posted:

That's cool, it's interesting to hear about little things like that, that you wouldn't otherwise know about. Cyclone fans call Iowa fans "Hoks" as an insult for some reason and I'm sure Iowa fans have their own dumb things I've mentally blocked out.

Are you sure that's an insult and not just that awful upper Midwest accent (IE the Fargo accent)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

AA is for Quitters posted:

Are you sure that's an insult and not just that awful upper Midwest accent (IE the Fargo accent)

Sorry, I phrased that poorly, they just spell it like that on message boards, I gather it is pronounced the same. It's always confused me so if any Cyclone fans know why it's done, do tell.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Iowans don't have that accent so yeah pretty sure.

OctoberBlues posted:

Usually Cy-clowns or just clowns which is awful and unfunny but at least makes sense.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 28, 2016

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

MourningView posted:

Iowans don't have that accent so yeah pretty sure.

Usually Cy-clowns or just clowns which is awful and unfunny but at least makes sense.

Central iowegians may not, but you've obviously never been to the vast wilds of western Iowa. I hear it more from those with Iowa plates on their car than those from SD. Lyon County is a...special place.

\/\/ doesn't stop farmer Jim who lives by Gitchee from being a cyclones fan. And he definitely pronounces Hawk and Hok the same way. I've only ever spent time in Quad Cities, and that's pretty much Illinois, so I don't know how the rest of the state talks.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 28, 2016

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Central iowegians may not, but you've obviously never been to the vast wilds of western Iowa. I hear it more from those with Iowa plates on their car than those from SD. Lyon County is a...special place.

Yeah but that's extreme NW iowa. It's 5 miles from Sioux Falls, where I have relatives who definitely have a Dakotas/Minn twang. 100 miles north of Des Moines and Omaha isn't very far, but there's a drastic change in accent. I grew up around Council Bluffs, and going up to visit the relatives in SD for the holidays was always sort of a linguistic and cultural shake up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

god drat why cant anybody beat Syracuse

its not that hard

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
In Nova I trust

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Metapod posted:

In Nova I trust

Buddy's coming

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They just had a conversation with the NCAA President and I hate him so, so, so much.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/markanderson65/status/714306201136267264

It's over. It's finally over. :unsmith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Makes sense, he knows how to beat SDSU :v:

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

DOOP posted:

god drat why cant anybody beat Syracuse

its not that hard

Early season bad Wisconsin won at Syracuse! It's very easy to beat them!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Dunleavy to Tulane is official

Good for them, I guess?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Pretty good hire, I wasn't expecting him to accept it just yet, but now UNLV should get better down the line.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/714148969140641796

I like the hire for the Toppers. Hated him at Mississippi State though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

surrender posted:

Dunleavy to Tulane is official

Good for them, I guess?

I expect a tiny improvement. Not a fan of him from his NBA coaching days. At the very least Tulane's new AD is much better than the previous one.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
The finals of all the other tournaments are this week.

CIT Final Tomorrow will pit UC Irvine at Columbia

CBI Finals (Best of 3) will have Moorehead State home against Nevada tonight, at Nevada Wednesday and Friday for Games 2/3.

NIT is down to the Semifinals - Valparaiso vs BYU and George Washington vs San Diego State Tuesday with the Finals on Thursday

The Vegas 16* starts today with the Semifinals tomorrow and the Championship Game on Wednesday.
*We could only find 8 suckers for this tournament
Matchups today are Tennessee Tech/Old Dominion, UCSB/NIU, Oakland/Towson, Louisiana Tech/ETSU

And for the true degenerate, here is the what is left of the Women's 64 team NIT field

Quarterfinals
Sunday, March 27
South Dakota 68, Western Kentucky 54

Monday, March 28
Hofstra at Florida Gulf Coast, 7 p.m. ET
Temple at Michigan, 7 p.m. ET
​Oregon at UTEP, 9 p.m. ET

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
jesus christ gently caress Syracuse

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Daniel Giddons is reportedly requesting his release to transfer from OSU. With Thompson declaring, something is rotten, remember Grandstaff quit on the team a few weeks into the season. Matta may just need to go.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

Daniel Giddons is reportedly requesting his release to transfer from OSU. With Thompson declaring, something is rotten, remember Grandstaff quit on the team a few weeks into the season. Matta may just need to go.

Thompson declaring means absolutely nothing unless he's hiring an agent.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They're saying AJ Harris is probably gone too.

I'm a big Matta fan, but I think it's time. I think his health problems are affecting him more than he's willing to admit.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay the "so and so going to the NBA" stories where that person does not hire an agent are freaking everywhere. I feel like the fans need to adjust. These stories are simply not worth even mentioning unless they hire an agent. "Testing the waters" is now not a thing even worth discussing. It's simply part of the post-season process now for anyone with a snowball's chance in hell of making the D-league.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

That's something I never thought I'd see. But you're probably right.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I hope some dumb NBA reporter gets tricked into writing 'deepest draft in history!' articles based on everyone declaring

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

SpiritualDeath posted:

Like UM and OSU have Ohio and That Team Up North, so too do we and UNLV have Nevada Southern and Reno

Make of that what you will

EDIT: Slightly different rationale but it's the same goofy rivalry stuff.

The 'Ohio' thing left with Brady Hoke, thank loving god.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mickey Mitchell is transferring too, so, uh, see ya Thad.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Ricky Doyle is transferring from Michigan, also Spike Albrecht will grad transfer. Neither of these moves is a surprise as: they had no scholarship for Albrecht having not anticipated him missing this entire season due to injury and they were oversigned by 1 thinking Zak Irvin would go pro (lol that's loving funny after this past season)

Doyle was good as a freshman and then horrendous last year, he was likely going to be the 3rd or 4th string big man if he stuck around. I could see him doing some work at a small school where he's bigger and stronger than most people. The dude works hard, you just can't do a lot as a 6'9 guy without any real technique to your game in the Big 10.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I hope some dumb NBA reporter gets tricked into writing 'deepest draft in history!' articles based on everyone declaring

Even if literally everyone who declared stayed in people would be calling this a garbage draft.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

spanky69 posted:

CBI Finals (Best of 3) will have Moorehead State home against Nevada tonight, at Nevada Wednesday and Friday for Games 2/3.

NIT is down to the Semifinals - Valparaiso vs BYU and George Washington vs San Diego State Tuesday with the Finals on Thursday

It's awesome that the CBI does Best of 3.

It would be cool as hell if Valpo can win the NIT; they've won their games so far by pretty big margins.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Doyle was good as a freshman and then horrendous last year, he was likely going to be the 3rd or 4th string big man if he stuck around. I could see him doing some work at a small school where he's bigger and stronger than most people. The dude works hard, you just can't do a lot as a 6'9 guy without any real technique to your game in the Big 10.

Come to Indiana, Ricky. Tom Crean can use the same voodoo he used on Bielfeldt to make you into a competent player.

Twitter says Albrecht wasn't released to go anywhere else in the Big Ten. He's from Indiana originally.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

No joke, if not for Buddy Hield I think I would be more excited for the NIT final four than the actual final four.

• Locked thread