Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

trucutru posted:

These are the basic rules, pretty basic. Then you add special characters (they don't seem to be balanced at all, the rogue seems pretty strong. Edit: whoa! there is a guy with 2 ships) on top of that and some miscellaneous rules for trading and ending the game.

Edit: more rules:

http://tradersluck.com/files/2016/02/ST-Rules-v15.pdf

Those aren't the worst rules in the world, it kinda feels like a fusion between a worker placement game like Stone Age or something and an Empire-builder rails game where the routes are already laid out and the players are trying to improve and control them.

But it feels like the creators didn't want to think hard about how players would interact and build an actual system for the buying and selling between players and just kinda set them out there and say 'figure it out stupids!'. That and the station jump fees being up to the player making it a mother-may-I game with the other players to use their stations which really amounts to 'no, never' and forcing the player to spend actions to travel. All around, it's got inter-player economics that are set up to cause strife and grief (lol!) between friends making them bicker over prices.

Lazy. It's lazy, half-assed design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Solomonic posted:

XCOM is probably the best video game to board game translation I've ever seen in that I feel constantly under pressure and like I'm barely hanging on while playing it, and also we lose often.

(It doesn't seem like it, but that is a ringing endorsement)

My first run though, I literally felt exhausted. Also a ringing endorsement.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

let's do more.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xaerael posted:

It's been on the BGG hotlist for months now. It's got amazing reviews, and I can say first hand it's probably my favorite competitive boardgame.

Pandemic is really good too, but it can get spoiled by someone taking over. That's why i like XCOM for co-op, because the timed rounds don't allow people to micromanage other players.

Yeah, quarterbacking is really hard to get rid of in co-ops unless you have some kind of timed component or severe restrictions on information sharing. Pandemic tries a bit of the latter, but it doesn't make much difference. I'd also say that Pandemic suffers a bit of a problem from being a “solvable” game — once you understand the underlying dynamics, it's a bit too easy to know exactly what you need to do. Then again, the modularity and added complexity offered by the expansions rather solves that problem, but it's still something that's probably best played at “equal” levels, where everyone in the group unravels the game at the same pace over repeat plays.

And of course, if it's time-pressure co-op you're after, there's always Space Alert. :D

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Stretch goals not met :cripes:.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

According to Cliff they don't have a choice, once the game is funded they can't pull it out.

Actually, they can, up until the point Kickstarter pays them out.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Are we supposed to believe this will ever be in game?

You know you want to see what kind of cfg file tricks you could pull off with that bad boy

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Games that interrupt the quarterback in mid-playmaking are brilliant. Space Alert, I'm looking at you.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Xaerael posted:

It's been on the BGG hotlist for months now. It's got amazing reviews, and I can say first hand it's probably my favorite competitive boardgame.

Pandemic is really good too, but it can get spoiled by someone taking over. That's why i like XCOM for co-op, because the timed rounds don't allow people to micromanage other players.

That's why i like Battlestar Galactica. It's coop but it has the traitor mechanic similar to Mafia so you can't trust the other players.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tortolia posted:

You know you want to see what kind of cfg file tricks you could pull off with that bad boy

claw_chariot.cfg is loading up as we speak

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Guys, you should've waited with reporting art thievery until *after* the kickstarter was over for maximum effect.

quote:

Can projects be edited after funding is completed?

Every project's "Campaign" tab (the page with the project's description, rewards, and funding details) is preserved as it ended. Creators with new information to share can post a project update. Creators of successfully funded projects can use our Spotlight feature, the customizable section at the top of the Updates page, to highlight milestones in their creative process.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

And so on and so on, is this a new thing? What are they on about?

Lol. As if a broken local config file could make the game turn into a broken piece of poo poo.
I mean, even if it could, that would just mean it was an even brokeneder piece of poo poo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

orcinus posted:

Lol. As if a broken local config file could make the game turn into a broken piece of poo poo.
I mean, even if it could, that would just mean it was an even brokeneder piece of poo poo.

It'd also mean I'd have notepad open right now

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I am so glad I stayed up for this. To see the kickstarter lurch over into "completed". To see Grandpa realize he just got his dream fulfilled.

"I know, in the past month there were times I thought it may be better if it didn't--"
-Grandpa, 2016

Yeah, all he had to do was share the last 8 hours of his dream with a southern hick who wanted to show off his RARE CHRIS ROBERTS game collection. All he had to do was take a back seat on what should be a proud, rewarding day, to a rolling cognizant pile of cookie dough and the inane questions of a cult that can't think of a life without their sunken cost fallacy. Just blend into the background, letting the knowledge that no one cares about his game, no one cares about him, but because he is tangentially connected to Star citizen that he would be funded. The knowledge that his drive, his idea, his vision does no mean anything to the 300 people watching who just want the chance to have an imaginary JPEG and ask questions about a completely different game.

As the reality dawns, and the comprehension of his place in all this settles into his expression, his brain reminds him of a bugging thought in the back of his head. The thought that he gave away the last of his soul to a hack artist who has now been found with his hand in the cookie plagiarism jar and blindly moved forward. He did not condemn, nor eject this person from his project. No, his vision had to continue. And he's sacrificed so much anyways, what's a little more? Surely this will die down. Surely the "trolls" will just go away. He did nothing wrong. He just needs to ride it out.

Yes, I was there. To see Grandpa's soul slip away so he can get his dream out there. But it's done. He made it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CJ posted:

That's why i like Battlestar Galactica. It's coop but it has the traitor mechanic similar to Mafia so you can't trust the other players.

Even better, since the traitor mechanic is unreliable — but reliably unreliable — you can't even trust yourself and, for at least half the game, need to try to not do too well in case it turns out to be bad for you. :haw:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Guys, thread went bonkers this week and I'm like 40 pages behind. Anyone got the Cliff's notes? I'm just past Jessica Bielgate..

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

orcinus posted:

Guys, you should've waited with reporting art thievery until *after* the kickstarter was over for maximum effect.

That would have done the most amount of damage, sure, but I think some of the "trolls" were actually trying to give David Ladyman the chance to be the better man.

And not, you know, double down on supporting his artist's unethical behavior.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Toops posted:

Guys, thread went bonkers this week and I'm like 40 pages behind. Anyone got the Cliff's notes? I'm just past Jessica Bielgate..

I'm the captain of an imaginary ship now

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Xaerael posted:

I'm usually the one taking over in Pandemic.... The way the board unfolds and the epidemics break out is just a sheer joy to watch. And it's one of those games were everyone has to stop and sit back and start getting a plan together.

Watching a video of Blood Rage right now. It isn't cheap!

Someone else in the thread said that board games have moved on SO much and Star Traders does look very old school in comparison to modern board games. I played Warhammer etc when I was a kid, and the board games now are just light years ahead of that stuff. Fast and slick with some really cool inventions to keep track of things that don't involve pen and paper. I hadn't played any of these things in 20+ years, and started getting back into it a couple of years ago. Matt Leacock's games are just awesome. Even Catan surprised me and it's been around for ages, an absolutely brilliant game, more depth to it than you'd think.

There's kind of a parallel between Star Citizen and Star Traders seemingly missing all the advances of the last 20 odd years.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Tippis posted:

Yeah, quarterbacking is really hard to get rid of in co-ops unless you have some kind of timed component or severe restrictions on information sharing. Pandemic tries a bit of the latter, but it doesn't make much difference. I'd also say that Pandemic suffers a bit of a problem from being a “solvable” game — once you understand the underlying dynamics, it's a bit too easy to know exactly what you need to do. Then again, the modularity and added complexity offered by the expansions rather solves that problem, but it's still something that's probably best played at “equal” levels, where everyone in the group unravels the game at the same pace over repeat plays.

And of course, if it's time-pressure co-op you're after, there's always Space Alert. :D

My first playthrough of Space Alert was the most insane fun ever. I don't think a boardgame has ever simulated the chaos of what it's trying to portray quite as well.

CJ posted:

I'm a terrible person because while my local friends play BSGtBG all the loving time, I've never actually played it.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Toops posted:

Literally every piece of art for Star Traders was a rip off of something. Anime fag shills for said board game which most likely hindered the actual sales as opposed to boosting it.

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I am so glad I stayed up for this. To see the kickstarter lurch over into "completed". To see Grandpa realize he just got his dream fulfilled.

"I know, in the past month there were times I thought it may be better if it didn't--"
-Grandpa, 2016

Yeah, all he had to do was share the last 8 hours of his dream with a southern hick who wanted to show off his RARE CHRIS ROBERTS game collection. All he had to do was take a back seat on what should be a proud, rewarding day, to a rolling cognizant pile of cookie dough and the inane questions of a cult that can't think of a life without their sunken cost fallacy. Just blend into the background, letting the knowledge that no one cares about his game, no one cares about him, but because he is tangentially connected to Star citizen that he would be funded. The knowledge that his drive, his idea, his vision does no mean anything to the 300 people watching who just want the chance to have an imaginary JPEG and ask questions about a completely different game.

As the reality dawns, and the comprehension of his place in all this settles into his expression, his brain reminds him of a bugging thought in the back of his head. The thought that he gave away the last of his soul to a hack artist who has now been found with his hand in the cookie plagiarism jar and blindly moved forward. He did not condemn, nor eject this person from his project. No, his vision had to continue. And he's sacrificed so much anyways, what's a little more? Surely this will die down. Surely the "trolls" will just go away. He did nothing wrong. He just needs to ride it out.

Yes, I was there. To see Grandpa's soul slip away so he can get his dream out there. But it's done. He made it.

A true wordsmith in action , Thanks you saved me looking back on 5 pages of this Drama

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's a lovely ship. It's unfortunate that it's locked to your account, it'd flip for a whale really well otherwise.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/324011/amazing-spectacular-phenomenal

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

C U in the V.

:wink:

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

peter gabriel posted:

Are we supposed to believe this will ever be in game?

Considering how janky their existing ships are and how glorious the videos are with those right now.... I can only imagine how much footage you could pull out of a ship of that size.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

I can't wait to find out which one of these is Sandi.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lonkface posted:

Considering how janky their existing ships are and how glorious the videos are with those right now.... I can only imagine how much footage you could pull out of a ship of that size.

Yeah Fiddler Crab would be an amazing addition to the game.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

How come they get one of these every week like clockwork?

Makes you think

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Toops posted:

Well they got the lovely board game funded a few minutes ago so we're all crossing or fingers that some art-stealing jackasses get sued.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'M MIKU

WHO WANTS TO LICK CHRIS ROBERTS' BUTTHOLE?

UWU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

No Mods No Masters posted:

same but without the jpeg :smith:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That would have done the most amount of damage, sure, but I think some of the "trolls" were actually trying to give David Ladyman the chance to be the better man.

And not, you know, double down on supporting his artist's unethical behavior.

Most amount of damage, yeah, but more importantly, it would've been left as a permanent record of the kind of "art" CIG's marketing concept artists do.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'M MIKU

WHO WANTS TO LICK CHRIS ROBERTS' BUTTHOLE?

UWU

chibloberts

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I never knew Space Alert existed, thanks to everyone who mentioned it. At least something good came out of today's shitshow.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW2D_Votd2Y

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lonkface posted:

I can see you grabbing the smallest ship with that claw only to be dragged away by it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/dominos/status/714246186526511104

In conclusion, if you had to have a Star Citizen ship, it is the best ship you could dream of having, for the uses you will want to have for it.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 28, 2016

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Every one of these posts and types of posts just reads as "I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not a complete fucktard that blew money on this big piece of poo poo! a yuk!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

crrrrinnnnge.

• Locked thread