Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Here in the Denver area, we got between 12 and 20"s of wet snow Wednesday. A lot of ST owners have forgotten that Blizzaks only help you drive over the snow, and not through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Atmus posted:

Here in the Denver area, we got between 12 and 20"s of wet snow Wednesday. A lot of ST owners have forgotten that Blizzaks only help you drive over the snow, and not through it.

I had a 3 foot drift on my garage door yesterday. Shoveled about 5 foot from the garage then said gently caress it and called in to work saying I couldn't get out. Then it all melted by 5pm :) Wasn't willing to mash my nice new bumpers through the snow or chance some jackass rear ending me.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

I had a 3 foot drift on my garage door yesterday. Shoveled about 5 foot from the garage then said gently caress it and called in to work saying I couldn't get out. Then it all melted by 5pm :) Wasn't willing to mash my nice new bumpers through the snow or chance some jackass rear ending me.

I stayed home as well, but then my mom said they were low on dog food, so I drove my big giant truck over there. Then while I was hanging out, the hospital called and said like everybody cancelled their chemo treatments so Dad could go in early if we could get him there. I did and it was a crazy drive home.

I've been parking my ST on the street, and I should have taken a picture of it totally covered in snow. It was a barely distinguishable snow-hill.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

veedubfreak posted:

If I stay out of the turbo and just cruise it at 55/65 I can coax almost 35mpg out of the car. Start driving like a jackass (which I do most of the time anyway) and it drops to low 20s and stays there.

The FiST has the biggest freeway/hooning mileage split of any car I've owned. Highest I've seen is 37mpg of almost all 55mph highway driving. Lowest was 12mpg from a trackday. Once I fix the brakes and get a better intercooler I think I can get single digits.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

oxbrain posted:

The FiST has the biggest freeway/hooning mileage split of any car I've owned. Highest I've seen is 37mpg of almost all 55mph highway driving. Lowest was 12mpg from a trackday. Once I fix the brakes and get a better intercooler I think I can get single digits.

I have intake, intercooler, hot pipe, cold pipe, and tune, and get 3424MPG in an average week driving to/from work. Last trackday was about 16 MPG IIRC.

The best all-highway mileage I've ever gotten on the current setup is about 39.

EDIT: Mistyped. 3 != 4.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 25, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I only get 26mpg (average) in my fist but that probably has something to do with rarely driving on the highway and a tendency to rev the piss out if it all the time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just bought a mazda2 (not really a hot hatch I know I know) that I'll be posting a thread about soon and it came with a good CAI, exhaust, and some other stuff and I cannot for the life of me squeeze more than 24 or 25 mpg out of it. Of course I've been doing a lot of time in it at high freeway speed which keeps the revs around 4k for hours but whatevs I guess

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I should try a trackday this summer. Need to use up the last 4/32s of my old 19s so I can mount the new ones.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just bought a mazda2 (not really a hot hatch I know I know) that I'll be posting a thread about soon and it came with a good CAI, exhaust, and some other stuff and I cannot for the life of me squeeze more than 24 or 25 mpg out of it. Of course I've been doing a lot of time in it at high freeway speed which keeps the revs around 4k for hours but whatevs I guess

That doesn't sound right.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PaintVagrant posted:

That doesn't sound right.

Depends on what he considers freeway speeds :haw:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
90 with lots of headwind, SLC to Reno.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Depends on what he considers freeway speeds :haw:

This. There are so many factors that affect mpg. I've gotten as low as 27 mpg on a tank going to Denver in winter at 80 mph with a hefty headwind the entire way.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

This. There are so many factors that affect mpg. I've gotten as low as 27 mpg on a tank going to Denver in winter at 80 mph with a hefty headwind the entire way.

The one time I took my TDI to Texas from Denver, I got 35mpg going and only 31 coming back. I averaged about 85 going down and about 75 coming back. But I had a 30mph headwind almost the entire trip back.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

The one time I took my TDI to Texas from Denver, I got 35mpg going and only 31 coming back. I averaged about 85 going down and about 75 coming back. But I had a 30mph headwind almost the entire trip back.

I somehow managed to neglect to mention that I was in a TDI.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I regularly get 23 mpg on my FoST because my commute is 2.5 miles each way in stop and go traffic.

When my commute was longer (and had more highway mileage) I saw 28-29. 33 mpg in cross-country, 100% highway mileage.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I've noticed that some of my body panels on my FoST aren't lining up correctly. Namely my rear left taillight is wedged against the panel and actually chipping paint. I'm over my warranty and the dealer just told me to go to a body shop.

Should I try to argue it out or just suck it up and go to the body shop? At least it'd be a free estimate but it's annoying that I didn't look over my new purchase three years ago with a high grade magnifying glass.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'd take it to a bodyshop and get their opinion as ton whether it's a manufacturing defect, or some sort of impact damage first and then go do battle with the dealership (even though you already know the answer to this it'll give you something to back you up)

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sounds a little low but if you had a head wind it would make it worse.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bobfather posted:

When my commute was longer (and had more highway mileage) I saw 28-29. 33 mpg in cross-country, 100% highway mileage.

Do you live somewhere with a 55mph highway speed limit? I've never gotten over 28 on a prolonged highway trip except for one leg of a road-trip to Utah that was mostly downhill where it somehow managed 34 in the mountains. But driving Phoenix to San Diego at 80mph (AZ) / 75mph (CA) gets 26-29 depending on the winds and direction of travel, and when I've messed around resetting it to get sort of 'instant' figures, the mileage really starts to bomb when you hit about 70, and gets downright bad at or over 80.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I average 21 in my R, you guys don't drive it like you mean it

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Veloster is 33 mpg at 70-75 mph driving and rural city stuff. I think I got 20 at the last autocross

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Hey, here's a pro-tip for you FiST'ers, buy pads and rotors when you come across them. I bought a set of OEM pads off amazon a couple months ago once they were off national backorder, so I knew they were legit. Just last week I bought rotors off rockauto and they showed up Thursday, so far so good, all set to change my brakes today (Saturday). Well I get everything tore down only to discover the rotors I received are 10.1". ST rotors are 11". Advance Auto and Auto Zone have none in this half of the state but 'maybe' can get them by Tuesday. O'Reily's has none anywhere and no eta. NAPA didn't seem to know what I was talking about and said something about drum brakes (??). My rotors were wore down to .817", and you are not supposed to exceed .825", so turning them was out of the question.

I did manage to find a dealership an hour and a half away that did have them (for $60/each :froggonk:) , so I guess this brake job will literally end up taking all day.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 27, 2016

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Locator posted:

Do you live somewhere with a 55mph highway speed limit? I've never gotten over 28 on a prolonged highway trip except for one leg of a road-trip to Utah that was mostly downhill where it somehow managed 34 in the mountains. But driving Phoenix to San Diego at 80mph (AZ) / 75mph (CA) gets 26-29 depending on the winds and direction of travel, and when I've messed around resetting it to get sort of 'instant' figures, the mileage really starts to bomb when you hit about 70, and gets downright bad at or over 80.

Texas, mostly 65+, but I'm a patient driver that likes to occasionally draft 18-wheelers. 28-29 is typical for the FoST highway, I would say.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

To draft a semi you need to be about 100 feet or less behind them. Your FoST, generously, will take 150 feet to come to a stop.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Not condoning nor condemning the practice. But, I think a sport hatch will stop a bit more quickly than the semi. It's not just the distance. It's the rate.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fyodor posted:

To draft a semi you need to be about 100 feet or less behind them. Your FoST, generously, will take 150 feet to come to a stop.

It's highly unlikely the Semi is going to come to a stop instantaneously, though. I feel pretty confident a FoST can brake faster than a loaded semi can.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Unless it hits something but you can't see that cause you are up his rear end.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

To get a draft from a semi you don’t need to be right behind it. 100 feet is like 10 car lengths, which is plenty of space to maneuver and see around a semi.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Mariana Horchata posted:

I never checked that one out but I actually like it a lot.

Forgot that I had taken a video of my exhaust when I first installed it. Just a quick start up and some revs. it sounds similar to a Cobb setup but just different enough for me to like it more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rQ7o1hundQ

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fyodor posted:

I bought a motorcycle on Halloween night in ABQ, NM about three years ago. Rode it home to Phx, Az starting at midnight and it was in the 30's, which of course I didn't plan for. I figured out that staying behind a semi was the best way to stay warm... it's a lot closer than 100ft to be in their draft where the air is more still than you'd think. More like 30ft off the back. :v:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Coolnezzz posted:

Forgot that I had taken a video of my exhaust when I first installed it. Just a quick start up and some revs. it sounds similar to a Cobb setup but just different enough for me to like it more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rQ7o1hundQ

Yep I think that's the same one I found and watched after you mentioned it, it seems like a great option as it's got the same tone as the MBRP, just less dB. After all one of the best things the FiST has going is that very few people seem to know what they are and just see them as a run of the mill econobox with a spoiler so the Q-ship effect can be very nice in a variety of ways.

I took my symposer out today and flashed back to the Mountune map which seems better behaved now with no disconcerting numbers or sounds so far. Drove it around for the last two hours and it sounded much much better inside and the drone is really only in certain scenarios like coasting down a hill in gear at 3000rpm - otherwise almost all of the bad noise can be avoided/negated by being mindful re: throttle/gear selection. Everybody so far says it sounds totally awesome from the outside, even my septuagenarian dad approves of the car in its current state. loves ripping through the gears, and finds the car to be a blast to drive as well as more fun than some of my prior cars such as my old WRX.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 28, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sigma X posted:

It's highly unlikely the Semi is going to come to a stop instantaneously, though. I feel pretty confident a FoST can brake faster than a loaded semi can.

It probably can't brake faster than an unloaded semi can, though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Buy a robot car with the automatic brakes. The stupid radar cruise though will not let you follow at 30 feet. My next car is having both features I have better things to do beside paying attention.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Enjoy the front of your car getting demolished by every bit of road debris possible. Truckers don't avoid anything on the highway. Also, enjoy your new expensive radiator/windshield/hood if one of those bastards throws a tire.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It probably can't brake faster than an unloaded semi can, though.

I thought trucks with unloaded trailers took longer to stop safely?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Might want to brush up on Newton's laws...

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Ok first: the more weight (mass) an object has, the more force required to stop it. Some people thought that putting more weight on a car improves traction, but in reality it affects the weight transfer and center of mass.

Second: yes, you might be able to stop quicker than a truck. But take into consideration that there are rear end in a top hat tailgaters that don't look more than one car ahead. They might be nose-deep in their texting party that they plow into the rear of your car and shove you into the rear end of a semi. Unless you are in a higher vehicle, and the under-ride bars aren't made out of poo poo or not rusted, that puts your head right into the back end of the trailer.

Third: trucks do kick up debris, do have tire blowouts, and have poo poo come off the top of them. Most importantly, the closer you get to a vehicle, the less visibility you have of the road ahead, around the truck, and if that truck driver can see you. If the truck suddenly swerves out of the way of stopped traffic, you're going to have roughly 80 ft to stop - which at highway speeds isn't happening.

With semi truck drivers getting younger and less training, I'm all about getting the hell away from them when possible.

/Driving instructor rant

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5vTsz1huTA

Fourth: If the driver you're drafting isn't paying enough attention themselves or has poo poo happen right in front of them, they may make a last-second emergency maneuver around something. Stopped traffic, debris, construction, animal in the road, etc. If you don't have an opening next to you you're gonna have a bad time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Riven posted:

Something about a coconut laden swallow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Riven posted:

Might want to reconsider weight transfer's effects on safe stopping.

http://www.truckingtruth.com/cdl-training-program/page48