Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The D&D episode is getting bumped to next week.

:argh: I didn't hate Superman until now!

I wish for the D&D episode they could bring back the one-off intro songs. I want to hear Weezer's "In The Garage": "I've got my 12-sided die, I've got my dungeon master's guide..." :bravo2: Weezer and WHM - two of my favourite things in one bundle.

:histdowns: :cthulhu:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The D&D episode is getting bumped to next week. That sucks. I couldn't care less about their take on BvS.

They both have Jeremy Irons :yayclod:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Corek posted:

They both have Jeremy Irons :yayclod:

Yeah, but only one of them was made after Jeremy Irons said he would marry his children for tax purposes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

While I'm bummed that D&D got bumped, I can't wait to hear a BvS episode. Everything I've seen about the movie makes it sound like it's just a big-screen grimdark fanfic, and I want to find out if the stupid-rear end reason I heard Bats and Superman finally make friends is true.

Batman stops beating Superman to death and teams up with him because it turns out that their mothers had the same first name.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Evil Mastermind posted:

While I'm bummed that D&D got bumped, I can't wait to hear a BvS episode. Everything I've seen about the movie makes it sound like it's just a big-screen grimdark fanfic, and I want to find out if the stupid-rear end reason I heard Bats and Superman finally make friends is true.

Batman stops beating Superman to death and teams up with him because it turns out that their mothers had the same first name.

You are correct

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

You are correct
That is hilarious and depressing at the same time. It really is a lovely fanfic of a movie, isn't it?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
well considering it's a first party property adaptation of source material no it is not a "fanfic"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

Or you know, Batman realizes that Superman is a regular guy with a family and a life and everything, not just an alien monster like he always thought. But "NOT MY BATMAN" or whatever. Perhaps this article from the fine reporting site Mashable is more of your speed.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I honestly have no strong investment in Batman as a character, but the main issue I have with these movies is that I don't want a movie about Superman being forced into situations where he can't save everyone, or seeing Bats and Superman beating each other up. That's not what the characters are about. The whole movie is predicated on the "versus" thing, which is the kind of thing lovely fanfic writers do. "Oh man who could beat up who?" Who cares? They're not enemies; they're best friends with common goals.

Likewise, I have no problem with the beat being "Batman realizes Superman has/had a family too", but that's not a beat that should be coming up in the middle of a fight scene. Even then, what does Batman care? Presumably the criminals he beats the poo poo out of have families too, but that's never stopped him.

e: this thread's going to be even :goonsay:-ier after the BvS episode than it will be after the D&D one, isn't it?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I honestly have no strong investment in Batman as a character, but the main issue I have with these movies is that I don't want a movie about Superman being forced into situations where he can't save everyone, or seeing Bats and Superman beating each other up. That's not what the characters are about. The whole movie is predicated on the "versus" thing, which is the kind of thing lovely fanfic writers do. "Oh man who could beat up who?" Who cares? They're not enemies; they're best friends with common goals.

"I have no strong investment in these characters"

"That's not what these characters are about and this movie is Bad because it doesn't respect whatever I think the characters actually are about"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nobody flamewars about Mystery Men, Daredevil 2004, or The Shadow

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

"I have no strong investment in these characters"

"That's not what these characters are about and this movie is Bad because it doesn't respect whatever I think the characters actually are about"

Good, I'm glad we agree on that.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Good, I'm glad we agree on that.

How can you say we agree if you can't agree with yourself?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

How can you say we agree if you can't agree with yourself?
I argue with myself all the time. I don't get along with myself very well.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

As soon as the BvS WHM episode is done and forgotten then we can intricate ourselves from replicating the RLM thread. At that point we'll all feel a lot better about ourselves and each other.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

while the editing was fanfic levels of polish, I didn't think the movie was the worst thing ever. I already know batman killing people will probably be a really embarrassing derail in tomorrow's show but whatever, it's not like the movie didn't have serious pacing and resolution issues. I'm looking forward to their take on the jittery insanity of Luthor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corek posted:

Nobody flamewars about Mystery Men, Daredevil 2004, or The Shadow

That's not true, I think Mystery Men is kind of contentious still.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

As soon as the BvS WHM episode is done and forgotten then we can intricate ourselves from replicating the RLM thread. At that point we'll all feel a lot better about ourselves and each other.

Yeah, I actually like this podcast and have no interest in that whatsoever.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm looking forward to this episode because it might be cathartic given the knowledge that since BvS is making tons of money they'll probably just keep moving movies like that forever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

okay, legit answer: Just because I don't have a strong investment in the character doesn't mean I don't care about him. I'm not table-flipping angry at how Bats and Supers are portrayed in Snyder's movies, but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in how the characters are portrayed in comparison to their source material. Likewise there's a lot of ways that the "you have parents?" thing could be set up and presented with more pathos than parental names coming up in the middle of a fight.

If you want to have Bruce and Clark at odds until they hit a common connecting factor in their lives, that's fine! I'm all for that! But the way it's done here just feels...hacky. Like they just jammed the plot point in without regards to how it'd actually work in terms of...I want to say "narrative flow" because I can't think of a better term.

Honestly, though, I'm not trying to start a drat fight here. Really.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

There's a RLM thread? Yikes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's not true, I think Mystery Men is kind of contentious still.

Yeah, I actually like this podcast and have no interest in that whatsoever.

I really liked Mystery Men, their episode was still funny. I don't agree with their analysis, but I didn't feel the need to pick up my tweets about how I don't agree with their take on it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm looking forward to this episode because it might be cathartic given the knowledge that since BvS is making tons of money they'll probably just keep moving movies like that forever.

It might also be the sequel to their Phantom Menace episode, which is the worst one they've ever done.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Evil Mastermind posted:

okay, legit answer: Just because I don't have a strong investment in the character doesn't mean I don't care about him. I'm not table-flipping angry at how Bats and Supers are portrayed in Snyder's movies, but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in how the characters are portrayed in comparison to their source material.

Both Batman and Superman have been depicted in a million different ways over a million different comics, which isn't even counting all the ways he's been portrayed in other media. Not liking this specific rendition of either character is totally fine but going "Not My Batman" or "Not My Superman" is silly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

Not liking this specific rendition of either character is totally fine but going "Not My Batman" or "Not My Superman" is silly.
I wasn't trying to go "NOT MY _______"; I wasn't aware that's how I was coming across.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I really liked Mystery Men, their episode was still funny. I don't agree with their analysis, but I didn't feel the need to pick up my tweets about how I don't agree with their take on it.

I haven't listened to that one yet, so I'm downloading it now. I also liked Mystery Men

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wasn't trying to go "NOT MY _______"; I wasn't aware that's how I was coming across.

Like the thing is that saying "the characters are portrayed wrongly in comparison to their source material" is really silly, because that could be levied against any Batman story that isn't his original Detective Comics run (ditto for Superman and Action Comics).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The RLM episode about BvS was pretty fun, because the guys are not really comic book fans, so they have little investment in the characters themselves, beyond a general pop culture knowledge. So, the episode was mostly just jokes about a badly made movie and Zack Snyders typical idiosyncrasies instead of either ripping apart or defending the movie.

The WHM on the other hand are huge nerds, so you can expect at least some stuff about both heroes behaving like raging lunatics. But I hope they don't lay on the nerd hate too much, since listening 45 minutes to people getting legitimately angry at a movie is not all that entertaining.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 28, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

e X posted:

The RLM episode about BvS was pretty fun, because the guys are not really comic book fans, so they have little investment in the characters themselves, beyond a general pop culture knowledge. So, the episode was mostly just jokes about a badly made movie and Zack Snyders typical idiosyncrasies instead of either ripping apart or defending the movie.

??? They endlessly complained that "superman movies are supposed to be fun and this wasn't fun!!!"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

duz posted:

Yeah, but only one of them was made after Jeremy Irons said he would marry his children for tax purposes.

Oh man, I hope they get as much mileage out of that as they did with Racist John Rhys Davies.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
I knew this would rub some folks the wrong way. We honestly did NOT plan on doing an episode of BvS. I expected it to be an On Screen but somewhere in the Batman/Superman movie that was nearly as long as Schnindler's List, it snapped into place. If you don't care about BvS and don't mind spoilers, tune in because we do some zany unrelated impressions. I hope you'd find it fun even if you did enjoy your time at the movies. I didn't outright hate Man of Steel, so I didn't come into the movie expecting to hate it, I just ended up hating it. I legit liked Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons as Batman and Alfred. I think Wonder Woman was decent as well. The writing and direction needs to be jettisoned out of an airlock though. End of the story, it's OK to like a movie. It's just a movie. We're just idiots making fun of things.

Thanks guys for the continued support and making me feel like a jerkoff for having stairs in my house or whatever the heck that was. I only checked out these forums because you cinema heroes started this thread and I love you for it.

D&D is a lot of fun and yeah, we don't know D&D much so get ready to fire off some tweets.

Eric

tl;dr why so serious?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So BvS and D&D are mainly unified by making excellent use of Jeremy Irons and terrible use of everything else?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BlameSpacePod posted:

I knew this would rub some folks the wrong way. We honestly did NOT plan on doing an episode of BvS. I expected it to be an On Screen but somewhere in the Batman/Superman movie that was nearly as long as Schnindler's List, it snapped into place. If you don't care about BvS and don't mind spoilers, tune in because we do some zany unrelated impressions. I hope you'd find it fun even if you did enjoy your time at the movies. I didn't outright hate Man of Steel, so I didn't come into the movie expecting to hate it, I just ended up hating it. I legit liked Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons as Batman and Alfred. I think Wonder Woman was decent as well. The writing and direction needs to be jettisoned out of an airlock though. End of the story, it's OK to like a movie. It's just a movie. We're just idiots making fun of things.

Thanks guys for the continued support and making me feel like a jerkoff for having stairs in my house or whatever the heck that was. I only checked out these forums because you cinema heroes started this thread and I love you for it.

D&D is a lot of fun and yeah, we don't know D&D much so get ready to fire off some tweets.

Eric

tl;dr why so serious?

Your inability to drop certain angles is funny as gently caress. I am pretty sure you talked more about Burtonworld in your last episode than about the lame rear end movie itself.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tbh I'm looking forward to the gang riffing on what looks like a mess of a movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Up until now I had no idea Jeremy Irons was in this, and as Alfred to boot.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Haven't seen BvS, legit excited for tomorrow.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I forgot about that dumbass asking the stairs question.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I forgot about that dumbass asking the stairs question.

"Paul Giamatti is great in Billions."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And then something about isis

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Calaveron posted:

Up until now I had no idea Jeremy Irons was in this, and as Alfred to boot.

Seconded. Thank you, Eric Movie!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BlameSpacePod posted:

tl;dr why so serious?

Wanna know how I got this avatar?

For serious, keep doing what you're doing. I feel like postponing D&D until next week is perfectly alright for a "Ladies and Gentlemen..." moment like in the Son of the Mask episode, with BvS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlameSpacePod posted:

If you don't care about BvS and don't mind spoilers, tune in because we do some zany unrelated impressions.
Yo this is great to hear.