Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
No, that's all it is. Dump rocket parts (I think you need 100?) into the rocket silo, build a satellite, put satellite into rocket silo (manually) and launch (manually).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Finally got up to the point where I can use Blueprints reliably, feels badass to roll up to a new patch of ore, drop an entire foundry system on top of it, and then just have to figure out the mines and the bus.

Still haven't figured out trains, even at a rudimentary level.

The hardest part for me is having some sort of strategy for getting Logistic System. Once I have Logistic System I can generally get things working pretty fast, but the period of needing blue beakers without having logibots is really tough for me. My base is always such a mess at that point.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife and I just built the Rocket Silo in our first co-op base.

We're kind of at a loss what to do now, because it requires a bunch of stuff we've never had to build before, and I doubt our base is in any way set up to actually do it.

Do we build one Satellite, and then have the Rocket Silo build enough rocket parts to get to 100%? Or is there more?

Yes, then you build another. And another. And then you quadruple your rocket output. But it still isn't enough. This game is only over when you can no longer make rockets faster because more machinery would slow your FPS more than it would improve efficiency.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tulip posted:

Finally got up to the point where I can use Blueprints reliably, feels badass to roll up to a new patch of ore, drop an entire foundry system on top of it, and then just have to figure out the mines and the bus.

The hardest part for me is having some sort of strategy for getting Logistic System. Once I have Logistic System I can generally get things working pretty fast, but the period of needing blue beakers without having logibots is really tough for me. My base is always such a mess at that point.

For me it works the other way, the bots are slow and awkward until they have some upgrades and I tend to just ignore them except for getting them to play fetch for me. Bots for building,clearing and laying concrete - can't get there fast enough. Logistics? More of a crutch for poor planning and design to my play style. I'm getting more used to using them for things that don't really need a full line off the bus or a section rebuild to get the belts right but it still feels dirty.

Moddington posted:

Yes, then you build another. And another. And then you quadruple your rocket output. But it still isn't enough. This game is only over when you can no longer make rockets faster because more machinery would slow your FPS more than it would improve efficiency.

Build more than one at once and have fun launching them in different patterns. Or add the Orbital Ion Cannon mod and launch one of those.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Can you limit how much a chest will store?

e: oh poo poo there is a little X thing that I never looked at before.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 28, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

My initial factories are usually small spaghetti things rather than those giant production facilities you see in the pro LPs because I want lots of different stuff at first, but I'm getting into the habit of making longer chains of furnaces and the like to up my production. Also giant banks of steam engines.

This particular game I've got going sucks, not enough wood and aliens attacking me from all sides. I'm gonna need walls everywhere now.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Tulip posted:

Find somewhere near your oil to set up refineries, then run underground pipes of petroleum, lubricant, and sulfuric acid to your assembly area. Make them another channel of your bus, and you'll hace access to them where it's needed.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wow, having left my 87 hour map save and started over with the RSO mod, I'm surprised at how much I've improved at base building.

I never used to use assemblers to make items that I needed early on in the game (belts, inserters etc) and would just make the items when I needed them in my inventory. Now that I've actually got a few assemblers running and creating that stuff for me, I'm able to build so much faster. I used to save assemblers for personal item construction til mid-to-late game for some dumb reason.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Loopoo posted:

Wow, having left my 87 hour map save and started over with the RSO mod, I'm surprised at how much I've improved at base building.

I never used to use assemblers to make items that I needed early on in the game (belts, inserters etc) and would just make the items when I needed them in my inventory. Now that I've actually got a few assemblers running and creating that stuff for me, I'm able to build so much faster. I used to save assemblers for personal item construction til mid-to-late game for some dumb reason.

im going to have to try this multiplayer and with mods.. I just am afraid of turning it on and losing a solid day again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This is the design I wanted on my new map, but I forgot how big a pain in the rear end it is to run around early-game. Ideally, I'd have loved to set up the marked spots early on, but it'd take way too many belts and all that to get it running efficiently in the early-game.

I'm sorta clenching my butthole at the thought of tearing everything up and moving it to the designated spots. The spawn I started in is perfect because it's easily defended, but it's short on space and won't allow much in the room of expansion.

This playthrough, I'm trying to use buses instead of my usual method (which causes a spaghetti mess). Have you guys got any tips for me? I can't figure out the best spacing. I've currently got one belt with iron plates, one with copper plates, and another that'll have electronic circuits. I don't know how far to distance them to allow me to branch them off for use down the line.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You want at least 2 spaces between each group of belts on the bus, like:
code:

>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>copper>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>iron>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
That's 3 belts each for copper and iron, in this example.
This allows you to very easily fit underground belts in between your bus!

Plan your factory based around your desired bus size, not what you can support right now. You said you have 1 iron and 1 copper, but let's say you want to go to 3 of each. Layout out a couple extra belts so you can see where the other two lanes would be:
code:

>                     >
>>>copper>>>
>                     >
>                     >
>>>>>iron>>>>
>                     >
This way you know exactly where you future belts will be and you don't have to worry about changing your factory around to accommodate a wider belt.

Never go wider than 4 belts next to each other. This is because underground belts can only span 4 spaces. Of course you could always grab a mod that fixes this. You could also have 2 sets of belts for an item, like: 3 copper belts, 2 spaces, 3 iron belts, 2 spaces, 3 more iron belts.

As for having to move things later... Well if you can squeeze plastic and steel production in there, you could make a few robo ports and some construction robots and let them do the heavy lifting!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A end-game factory which is producing enough materials for research and bots and modules eats less than 2 blue belts of iron and 1 of copper. Going big is really just for entertainment or personal challenge modes.

I also end up merging batteries + plastic, red + blue circuits onto one belt.

you should absolutely keep 2 spaces between belts though; it's much easier to deal with when splitting them off. Also, it's almost always OK to merge two resources into one belt during the split.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife and I just built the Rocket Silo in our first co-op base.

We're kind of at a loss what to do now, because it requires a bunch of stuff we've never had to build before, and I doubt our base is in any way set up to actually do it.

Do we build one Satellite, and then have the Rocket Silo build enough rocket parts to get to 100%? Or is there more?

My wife and I launched our first rockets yesterday too. The rocket silo builds rockets at 1% per every set of ten inputs, so you need 1,000 of all three inputs. We just set up 5 of each type of input and let it run for a 1-2 hours.

Probably going to start a new game later this week, but I don't know if we'll use RSO again. The trains are pretty cool, but the long distances make oil a giant pain. Is there a way to increase oil and biter frequency with RSO? Biters only got up to the medium sized ones in our play through.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm always the worst at starting my games. I set up three banks of iron and copper smelters, one of steel, and belt the whole thing before I start manufacturing basically anything (except belts).

Each bank is 44 stone furnaces (11x2 long with a power pole between each pair). That's enough that when you replace them all with Steel Smelters and take out the power poles (replaced with substations) that it saturates a blue belt! I do this with yellow belt tech.

Well, not completely; just enough to get metal flowing, but waaaay more than I should. It all does get completely laid out

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LLSix posted:

My wife and I launched our first rockets yesterday too. The rocket silo builds rockets at 1% per every set of ten inputs, so you need 1,000 of all three inputs. We just set up 5 of each type of input and let it run for a 1-2 hours.

Probably going to start a new game later this week, but I don't know if we'll use RSO again. The trains are pretty cool, but the long distances make oil a giant pain. Is there a way to increase oil and biter frequency with RSO? Biters only got up to the medium sized ones in our play through.
The surfaced settings in config.lua don't break it out into individual resources. If you get into resourceconfigs\vainilla.lua you can fiddle with the raw settings for oil until you get a map you like. Same with resourceconfigs\vainilla_enemies.lua for biters.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Expand resource production of the Rocket until you can launch 1 rocket every minute.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

Expand resource production of the Rocket until you can launch 1 rocket every minute.

1 rocket per minute = 100 rocket parts per minute = ~1.6 rocket parts per second.

I think you'd spend all your time hooking up more iron and copper mines once you got this underway!

Edit: Of course, you should also try to make 1 satellite per minute so all your launches are successful.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 28, 2016

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Krysmphoenix posted:

I don't think our factory is remotely capable of anything approaching that without tearing everything down and rebuilding it.

For our first map together, if we can get one rocket launched, we'll call it a win. Then we'll make a much better factory next time.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I got to automated blue science, and my lust for conveyors cannot be sated. What's a good modpack that adds even more complexity to manage? I want all the things, all of them.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I hear bob's mod is good for that (literally called bob's mod) actually composed of a bunch of smaller mods, haven't tried it myself it looks insane, but I'm tempted

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Ratzap posted:

Today's new mod: something that will make some of you recoil in horror. Toxic Jungle
It sounds like an interesting if not annoying challenge, I'll roll one up sometime and see. At least there's no danger of running out of wood.

A little late but holy poo poo is this mod intense. I hacked myself 20 steel axes with the console and chewed through 10 of them just getting Red Science automated.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone have any luck doing peer to peer multiplayer between continents like NA to EU?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any good mods for more complexity/stuff that stop somewhere short of the madness that is Bob's?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
This is what I'm using at the moment, adds a bunch of MK2/MK3 stuff as well as some QoL features and another end-game goal, the Ion Cannon:

http://www.garfu.net/factorioMods.zip

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Anyone have any luck doing peer to peer multiplayer between continents like NA to EU?

I haven't tried NA-EU in the newer versions but even when multiplayer was still pretty new I played with a friend in the US(I'm UK) and it worked well enough.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

lohli posted:

I haven't tried NA-EU in the newer versions but even when multiplayer was still pretty new I played with a friend in the US(I'm UK) and it worked well enough.

I had the opposite experience when multi was new. First two releases or so, tried playing with some US goons from Norway, didn't work.

Do note that things have improved massively since then. Multi from Norway to Germany is flawless for example.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Elswyyr posted:

I got to automated blue science, and my lust for conveyors cannot be sated. What's a good modpack that adds even more complexity to manage? I want all the things, all of them.

Bob's mod is good, and I like to add Treefarm to that since of the added reliance on wood.

more turrets
more circuits
more modules
more factories
more ores
metal alloys
more inserters
more belts
more toolbelt slots
more alien artifacts
more research packs and 2 more research branches (one relies on module circuits, the other on the new alien science packs)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

this is the 'overhauls' mod forum that has all the big expansive stuff, bobs is the biggest I think but the others all involve a fair amount of restructuring the game I guess so you could go for something a little less messy, I haven't done any deep investigating on them.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=95

There's also a smaller thing called 'hardcrafting' in another forum which just makes mining/smelting more involved, where you have to deal with byproducts like dirt and gravel that poo poo up your belts, and the metal needs to be processed in multiple stages, in case you just want to gently caress around optimizing your smelters for hours

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Krysmphoenix posted:

A little late but holy poo poo is this mod intense. I hacked myself 20 steel axes with the console and chewed through 10 of them just getting Red Science automated.

Yeah, I started a game with it today and it is actually a challenge because you don't have the one thing you always rely on having: space to build on. Hell, you have to hack away a few dozen trees just to get to a resource, let alone start mining it. Apparently biters will chew through the trees so they might be worth using as clearance tools later.

Indecisive posted:

this is the 'overhauls' mod forum that has all the big expansive stuff, bobs is the biggest I think but the others all involve a fair amount of restructuring the game I guess so you could go for something a little less messy, I haven't done any deep investigating on them.

I find Bobs is a thorough revamp and avoids silly BS, yeah his late game stuff is hugely OP but you work hard to get it. 5dim, yukoi etc just have too much, too silly - I couldn't get to like them.

Zetsubou-san posted:

Bob's mod is good, and I like to add Treefarm to that since of the added reliance on wood.

I went with greenhouses instead, same wood but it doesn't lag and doesn't have the other baggage I don't want like the plastics etc. I got all research finished yeterday in a cut down shadow mega pack (which is essentially bobs) at 3 days 21 hours. Another Bobs game I started to clean up the mods list and tune it better has these:

The 5dim stuff has been hacked about by myself. I like a couple of the 2x1 and 2x2 chests plus the decorations, the rest is snipped.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ratzap posted:

I find Bobs is a thorough revamp and avoids silly BS, yeah his late game stuff is hugely OP but you work hard to get it. 5dim, yukoi etc just have too much, too silly - I couldn't get to like them.

isn't it the one where you have like 500 different ores to mine and poo poo like that?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Indecisive posted:

isn't it the one where you have like 500 different ores to mine and poo poo like that?

Yes but it's fairly realistic and being science/engineering oriented myself I like that. Yukoi has a couple of extra ores which 'transform' into other poo poo in special buildings. Less complex true but utter bollocks. At least I understand making lead oxide from ore with sulfur dioxide as a by product then making sulfuric acid from the by product and lead plates from the oxide (with another by product of a little silver ore). A lot of the things he implements I actually carried out in a lab at Uni when I was there. I don't find the complexity bewildering because it's familiar if you like, it's real(ish).

full list of ores: bauxite-ore cobalt-ore gem-ore gold-ore lead-ore nickel-ore quartz rutile-ore silver-ore sulfur tin-ore tungsten-ore zinc-ore

That is from his posts but it's not quite accurate, cobalt you get from processing copper. The ore for it was dropped. And gems are kind of a sideways method of getting them into the game, you use them in late game gear - it's an optional part as are most of bobs.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

So I added a couple mods that have research that was already completed so I don't seem to have access to the stuff it unlocked. Is there any way to reload stuff I've already researched or something? Or do I have to start a new map?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Garfu posted:

So I added a couple mods that have research that was already completed so I don't seem to have access to the stuff it unlocked. Is there any way to reload stuff I've already researched or something? Or do I have to start a new map?

Bound to be able to, check around for lua console commands. You should be able to find an example of resetting a research subject.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah, found it:

game.player.force.technologies["logistics"].researched = true

etc.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Garfu posted:

Yeah, found it:

game.player.force.technologies["logistics"].researched = true

etc.
Funny enough, in earlier alpha stages there was a moment where they bungled some tech up (aka: changed a dependency somewhere in the graph) and it was required to use this on your vanilla map to get something (I think it was batteries) to be producible again.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ratzap posted:

Yes but it's fairly realistic and being science/engineering oriented myself I like that. Yukoi has a couple of extra ores which 'transform' into other poo poo in special buildings. Less complex true but utter bollocks. At least I understand making lead oxide from ore with sulfur dioxide as a by product then making sulfuric acid from the by product and lead plates from the oxide (with another by product of a little silver ore). A lot of the things he implements I actually carried out in a lab at Uni when I was there. I don't find the complexity bewildering because it's familiar if you like, it's real(ish).

full list of ores: bauxite-ore cobalt-ore gem-ore gold-ore lead-ore nickel-ore quartz rutile-ore silver-ore sulfur tin-ore tungsten-ore zinc-ore

That is from his posts but it's not quite accurate, cobalt you get from processing copper. The ore for it was dropped. And gems are kind of a sideways method of getting them into the game, you use them in late game gear - it's an optional part as are most of bobs.

Of course, then you get hilarious poo poo like metals used in completely inappropriate contexts (especially nitinol) and arbitrary stuff like the need to build bearings and stuff in stages instead of all at once.

There are a lot of little busy work things in the mod that I really dislike. I love the increased tiers of things, but balancing all of the inputs and outputs of a hundred different processes is a pain in the rear end.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Bob's Mod production trees seem like something I would be really into in a game that had Anno trappings instead of a strange survival game cum belts.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

zedprime posted:

strange survival game cum belts.

mods???

fakee: Factorio: Strange survival game cum belts

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I find that the balance of Bob's mods is really off if you're playing the game single-player. There's so much stuff to do that by the time you've finished setting one thing up, you've researched a half-dozen more, and there's little point to implementing fully efficient solutions because even the slow and naive ones will have backed up by the time you've finished your next task.

It seems like multiplayer would fix those issues, because you both have more hands working in stuff (so you don't get so far behind the tech tree), and more people consuming items so that your factory actually gets to build stuff instead of constantly backing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a good guide for the Uranium Power mod? I am trying to avoid the tedium of building another massive solar farm but this mod is super unintuitive and the only guide I can find is the mod authors meandering youtube video.