Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

John Calipari just had all of his 18-and-older players declare for the draft. All of them. Even the walk-ons, for "information gathering purposes". It should be fun to see how the NCAA or the NBA reacts to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Why would they be mad? They changed the rules specifically to encourage it and make it easier for guys to test the waters without losing eligibility.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Why would they be mad? They changed the rules specifically to encourage it and make it easier for guys to test the waters without losing eligibility.
Because it's the NCAA. They will get pissy about this somehow. I'm already seeing arguments along of the lines of "well this rule wasn't made for walk-ons rabble rabble rabble".

And never ever underestimate the general cattiness of college coaches.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 24, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I would want to be a walkon scrub practice dunk dummy just to declare for the draft after my senior year.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

R.D. Mangles posted:

I would want to be a walkon scrub practice dunk dummy just to declare for the draft after my senior year.

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing. I'd write a formal letter and post a facebook update complete with a mixtape of me dunking with my fingers barely grazing over an 8' rim

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone should make draftexpress entries for the UK guys rating them on towel-waving ability and making ridiculous comparisons to great bench celebrators like Robert Sacre and Jack Haley.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Jack Haley celebration?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

R.D. Mangles posted:

The tryouts at my D3 school looked scary to watch I don't think I could ever walk on as an equipment manager for a college team.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

"Buddy" Hield should go by his real first name: Chavano

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Crazy Ted posted:

John Calipari just had all of his 18-and-older players declare for the draft. All of them. Even the walk-ons, for "information gathering purposes". It should be fun to see how the NCAA or the NBA reacts to this.

I wouldn't be shocked if he told them to do it just so he can brag about it on the recruiting trail/get an idea of just where people think his program is depth wise. He's totally the type to obsess about image and perception like that.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Why shouldn't he? Image and perception are a huge part of recruiting.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
How does CUSE (WOOO GO ORANGE) recruit so many great college players who will never ever succeed at an NBA level

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember thinking John Wallace was going to be really good l.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

EvanTH posted:

How does CUSE (WOOO GO ORANGE) recruit so many great college players who will never ever succeed at an NBA level
i randomly think malachi richardson could actually be good. but to answer your question, boehiem just recruits for his system.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EvanTH posted:

This but Louisville. The best NBA player from Pitino's Louisville squads has been Gorgui Dieng.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

He recruits a bunch of long and athletic dudes and then does absolutely nothing to actually develop them as basketball players

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ButtWolf posted:

I remember thinking John Wallace was going to be really good l.
The incredible thing about John Wallace's fall in the draft is that there were anonymous NBA execs who apparently red-flagged him because while he was at Syracuse he played the same position and wore the same number that Derrick Coleman had when he last played there 5-6 years earlier, and had also taken advice on being an NBA player from Coleman. This apparently meant he was 100% going to be a locker room cancer and OH MY GOD DO NOT DRAFT

NBA personnel guys can make NFL decision makers look downright level-headed when it comes to draft prospects sometimes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Well I mean they probably shouldn't have

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
MCW could have been a star if he'd gone to a school that provides you with free bathrobes and gloves

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which orangemen gets drafted in top 10 bc of final four and turns out terrible?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

The incredible thing about John Wallace's fall in the draft is that there were anonymous NBA execs who apparently red-flagged him because while he was at Syracuse he played the same position and wore the same number that Derrick Coleman had when he last played there 5-6 years earlier, and had also taken advice on being an NBA player from Coleman. This apparently meant he was 100% going to be a locker room cancer and OH MY GOD DO NOT DRAFT

NBA personnel guys can make NFL decision makers look downright level-headed when it comes to draft prospects sometimes.

95-99% of Sacramento was pissed that Sacramento passed on him to draft Peja Stojakovic. The remaining hold outs switched when we found out Peja wasn't coming over for 2 years

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LSU shooting guard Tim Quarterman entered the draft. I'm sure teams will be moving mountains to draft a junior who averaged about 11 points per game and can't shoot either threes or free throws.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Did he hire an agent? Because otherwise he is doing what literally every player should do

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Did he hire an agent? Because otherwise he is doing what literally every player should do
I should have noted that, but yes, yes he did.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

He hired an agency that has a history of sending players overseas.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He hired an agency that has a history of sending players overseas.
Well that makes a lot more sense then. Given how much LSU players seemed to hate their coach by the end of the season, I can see some of them deciding they'd rather play overseas - even in the middle of nowhere if they had to - than return for another year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He may also have just failed out of school.

Is that even possible in the SEC though?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

He may also have just failed out of school.

Is that even possible in the SEC though?
He failed BBQ 101.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Cheick Diallo is entering. I could imagine someone talking him to stay in even if it's a hella bad idea.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Cheick Diallo is entering. I could imagine someone talking him to stay in even if it's a hella bad idea.
DraftExpress has him in the 35-40 range as a best-case scenario for this year. Considering those contracts aren't guaranteed he should go back to school.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Crazy Ted posted:

DraftExpress has him in the 35-40 range as a best-case scenario for this year. Considering those contracts aren't guaranteed he should go back to school.

On the other hand 35-40 is almost a sure thing for the D-league which is a better place to work on your game than college in most cases.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

On the other hand 35-40 is almost a sure thing for the D-league which is a better place to work on your game than college in most cases.

Also you get paid.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Also you get paid.
Assuming you make the roster, which is no guarantee for a guy who played less than ten minutes a game in college this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IcePhoenix posted:

Also you get paid.

Like 20,000 a year unless you're on an NBA contract.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningView posted:

Like 20,000 a year unless you're on an NBA contract.

There's three tiers of contracts and most players fall between 19k to 25k. The real benefit of playing in the d-league is that your housing gets paid for and you get a per diem for food, so you essentially are better off than most college graduates. You can also get those juicy ten day contracts from the NBA. Guys like McRae easily racked up 100k+ this year.

Overseas guys have it better or worse depending on where they play. Generally their housing gets paid for too but I remember reading this awful story about an overseas player getting caught in the Arab Summer uprising in Libya and nearly dying in his housing quarters.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I have talked myself into Baby Sabonis

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

I have talked myself into Baby Sabonis

He would fit in with the current, healthy MEM players.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Did straight up brolic say Jaylen Brown falling in the draft was just like Stanley Johnson?

I've been watching his videos and his body, and the way he moves, make me think of a cross between Giannis and Stanley Johnson. You'd have to remove some of the basketball IQ, passing, and tough defense, to make that a complete comparison, but still. He's really good at slithering through 2 or 3 men to the rim, although he kills half the potential of those slithers by not passing to open shooters. I'm intrigued.

I've been watching Skal Labissiere too. He can be frightening when he's given the ball after a play's developed and decisions have sort of been made by the team, giving him nothing but a single good choice to make. Then he uses his silent hill enemy esque body to do incredible things. He would probably be a good Spur.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

There's three tiers of contracts and most players fall between 19k to 25k. The real benefit of playing in the d-league is that your housing gets paid for and you get a per diem for food, so you essentially are better off than most college graduates. You can also get those juicy ten day contracts from the NBA. Guys like McRae easily racked up 100k+ this year.

Overseas guys have it better or worse depending on where they play. Generally their housing gets paid for too but I remember reading this awful story about an overseas player getting caught in the Arab Summer uprising in Libya and nearly dying in his housing quarters.

the downside is that you aren't the coolest motherfucker on a college campus getting laid constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Uh one year of nba salary is a lot more than he'd earn at school ($0).

Edit

I see this was addressed.

Can't wait for one and done to go away. It's such a scam and mockery.

• Locked thread