Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

I need some advice. Yesterday I finally passed the MCSA 70-412 exam. I kinda don't know where to go from here. I believe I need more experience before I go for the MCSE cert.
Where do you go from MCSA Server 2012?

Get your VCP and you'll be invincible. A VCP and MCSA cover the two big server virtualization platforms in enough detail to fill in the gaps or to understand where to go to fill 'em in.

MCSE for 2012 is basically a Hyper-V cert anyway, at least from what I've seen, and if nothing else, 2016 is coming down the pipe soon enough to merit upgrading to the 2016 MCSA and then just get the MCSE for 2016 so you're super current for the upcoming generation.

At least, that's my opinion/plan. A CCNA is probably a good complement if you want to take up the networking side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

1000101 posted:

Probably closer to being accurate though if ACI becomes a thing it may end up being relevant again.

I don't believe ACI will ever be a thing.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

NippleFloss posted:

I don't believe ACI will ever be a thing.

Fair statement.

Better off just doing EVPN and keeping network ops mostly the same. Then optionally layer NSX on top of that if needed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No but you see SDN is the way of the future that will free us from the shackles of traditional networks! Furthermore,

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Hey nerds, who else is doing oscp right now?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

Get your VCP and you'll be invincible. A VCP and MCSA cover the two big server virtualization platforms in enough detail to fill in the gaps or to understand where to go to fill 'em in.

MCSE for 2012 is basically a Hyper-V cert anyway, at least from what I've seen, and if nothing else, 2016 is coming down the pipe soon enough to merit upgrading to the 2016 MCSA and then just get the MCSE for 2016 so you're super current for the upcoming generation.

At least, that's my opinion/plan. A CCNA is probably a good complement if you want to take up the networking side of things.

That sounds like a very good plan.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

invision posted:

At this very moment, no. Slotted for later this year though. I currently have to write my CEH in order to land a few government contracts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

invision posted:

I took the course, which was really good. Not going to study for the exam for the time being, though.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Are the Azure certs worth taking?

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

invision posted:

I'm doing it right now but I'm only able to put in half as much time as I want because of school.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
OSCP Lab Day 1 Lessons Learned:
Spreadsheets are great.
People named Bob are dicks.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

For those working on CCNA Security - a guy on reddit finally received a response from Cisco.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ccnas/comments/4ckcld/210260_exam_update/

quote:

Regarding my recent support case raised with the Cisco Certification & Communities Support team, I have recieved the below response regarding my experience with the exam sims:

"I just received a response from our Exam Development Manager. Our Manager stated that as the result of extensive review of your exam in collaboration with our test developers, testing vendor and technical staff, it has been determined that they have asked the developer to fine tune the simulations to make it work smoothly for all candidates. They highly suggested that you wait until after April 2, 2016 since they are having the exam updated. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you'll continue to pursue your goal."

So for anyone looking to take the exam soon, I think this is a good sign that Cisco are taking proper action regarding the exam simulations.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

Walked posted:

Similar boat, but with a lot more experience; and I'm not even certain whether I want to futz with MCSE. With where the industry is headed I think I'm going to put my energy into AWS certs and experience.

I'm with you here. I'm thinking its time to move towards AWS, and its been a while since i've been excited about something new like this, it doesn't hurt that the money is good.

VCP is cool and still an option, though.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I always feel like this is hurting my career, but I am very "old school" in that I want MY datacenter. My routers, my servers, my storage. Cloud nothing.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I always feel like this is hurting my career, but I am very "old school" in that I want MY datacenter. My routers, my servers, my storage. Cloud nothing.

There's a place for it, and I feel similarly sometimes. Market forces and trajectories will probably force your hand a bit as time goes on. I'm seeing it more, and more, and more

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Shops that have security or geographic concerns will still do this, not that "old school".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CLAM DOWN posted:

Shops that have security or geographic concerns will still do this, not that "old school".
Yeah, we're PCI compliant so I get to play with all of my own stuff. Quite nice. I know one day, at a new job, I'll just be selecting my new servers from a dropdown on AWS, though.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah, we're PCI compliant so I get to play with all of my own stuff. Quite nice. I know one day, at a new job, I'll just be selecting my new servers from a dropdown on AWS, though.

There are likely always going to be places for both. I like the idea of AWS for some companies who are "lean" (see: cheap, broke) and don't want to buy infrastructure, cooling, power, etc. Elasticity is awesome, too, not that you can't do that already with other stuff.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Add limited bandwith rural sites to that list as well. I bought an AWS course on udemy and am finally starting to watch it and play around with it. I've seen it mentioned on a few job listings now. Speaking of which, and relating to certs, in searching for sysadmin jobs these are the couple of certs that I've seen more than any others:

1. Degree required (just a degree, not in a specific field)
2. ITIL - pops up a lot and is a useless cert, way to go HR.
3. CCNA/CCNP
4. MCSA
5. Citrix anything

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Does anyone have any advice or techniques for studying charts like these? I'm having a hard time keeping this in my head.

It carries on into the next page :psyduck:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ashley Madison posted:

Does anyone have any advice or techniques for studying charts like these? I'm having a hard time keeping this in my head.

Are you in a situation where you need to memorize all of that? Generally you can decode enough info from the Module name, and if you need something specific, like verifying the fabric bandwidth you can look it up. If the test asks questions like whats the max Mpps of a N7K-M202CF-22L module, then I don't know what the gently caress :psyduck:

Matteyo
Jul 19, 2009

Ashley Madison posted:

First part of the name is the model of switch it goes into. So N7K just means it goes into a Nexus 7000. The next portion is going to be the module line type and generation. For these N7K line the major types of cards are M cards and F cards. M cards generally can support larger routing table sizes, so you can kind of think of them as line cards used to connect with other network devices such as other routers or multi-layer switches. The M cards have the most features (like a full NetFlow implementation versus a garbage sampled type on F cards), but are expensive and usually their backplane is not as big as the F cards, so they either have less interfaces or are oversubscribed. The F series cards are more geared to connect to aggregation layer switches and hosts themselves. Smaller tables but more bandwidth. The latest generation (F3) has a lot of feature parity with M cards but tables are still a lot smaller. The next part of the name is how many interfaces it has, i.e. 48, 32, etc. Next part is media type, like RJ45 or SFP. Generally RJ45 has a T buried in there (think twisted pair BASE-T Ethernet standards).

So breaking it down:
N7K-M148GS-11L

N7K - It goes into a Nexus 7000
M1 - It is a 1st generation M card
48 - It has 48 ports
GS - It is a SFP type gigabit ethernet
11L - IDK WTF this is.

Key points of what are important here are learning the differences between M cards and F cards feature-wise and bandwidth/oversubscription-wise. Learn the media types (i.e. BASE-T types, SFP, SFP+, X2, Xenpak, CFP, QSFP+, etc.). Once you understand those things the chart makes sense. Also I would not pay much mind to the generation 1 hardware, that stuff is way old at this point and not sold. There is still a bit of it out there, and there a ton of caveats so it isn't bad knowledge to have, but the CCNA DC and CCNP DC I would hope at this point would not test on anything older than generation 2 since 3 is out.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
For what it is worth, my test did not ask any specific line card info, but more of specific model number of the router/switch in question, and types of licenses.

Matteyo
Jul 19, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A lot of what I do is based on selling/implementing infrastructure and security implementations to regular businesses so I have a lot of the same sentiments. The cloud stuff is very interesting though, I could see a satisfying career there, albeit a lot more based on buzz and hype than old school IT, at least right now. I would say that the place to gravitate towards are industries that actually care about things like security. Organizations that have important data that really need to have complete control over it because it is important to their business...things like finance and healthcare come to mind. Big difference between wanting to have an on-prem storage array just because you want to be able to hug it, versus your clients demanding that you have an on-prem array because they truly care where their data resides AND are willing to pay for it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Matteyo posted:

Organizations that have important data that really need to have complete control over it because it is important to their business...things like finance and healthcare come to mind.
SEC/FINRA guidelines are only guidelines in the loosest application of the term and any focus on security compliance is strictly aimed at doing just enough to not get fined. That probably applies to most industries but point is, cloud services are all over the finance industry.

Healthcare and anything .Gov, I guess.

Matteyo
Jul 19, 2009

Ozu posted:

SEC/FINRA guidelines are only guidelines in the loosest application of the term and any focus on security compliance is strictly aimed at doing just enough to not get fined. That probably applies to most industries but point is, cloud services are all over the finance industry.

Healthcare and anything .Gov, I guess.

I think cloud services are penetrating every vertical to some extent; however, if you told me say Amex's entire payment processing infrastructure or Goldman Sach's High Frequency Trading systems are in AWS I would be genuinely surprised. If a BU within these organizations used O365 or Salesforce, I would not be surprised, but the point I am making is that the companies for generally any IT professional to seek out are those that have done the analysis of going with IaaS for their most critical systems and found that the risk is too great, the performance inadequate, etc. and are OK continuing to invest in traditional infrastructure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AWS is opening a datacentre/region in Canada next year I think so people can store data not in the USA, so that'll be awesome and remove one more hurdle for some companies here.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CLAM DOWN posted:

AWS is opening a datacentre/region in Canada next year I think so people can store data not in the USA, so that'll be awesome and remove one more hurdle for some companies here.

Is it in Toronto? Microsoft just opened one there for Azure

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Is it in Toronto? Microsoft just opened one there for Azure

I believe Montreal but not 100% sure

e: yup https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/in-the-works-aws-region-in-canada/

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just passed my JNCIA-Junos exam. They should really do these tests in pubquiz format, in an actual pub. My scores would skyrocket.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Matteyo posted:

11L - IDK WTF this is.

Thanks! I was able to decipher most of them after working my way though. Turns out 11L means
1 minimum fabric modules to operate the I/O card 1 number of fabric modules to achieve max capacity L means XL module.

Edit: I wish the differences between M and F module cards was included, similar to your explanation, because it makes so much more sense.

But yeah, if they ask for the pps capacity I'll be boned on that one :v:

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Just passed my JNCIA-Junos exam. They should really do these tests in pubquiz format, in an actual pub. My scores would skyrocket.

Grats :hfive:

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 1, 2016

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Are questions like that isolated to the DC track?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Woo, passed the Sec+ with an 858. On to the CCNA Sec next.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

rafikki posted:

nice! I'll be taking the Sec+ next month.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

There was like one question about encryption on mine, and that's the thing I spent the most time on :/

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

rafikki posted:

Congrats :cheers: You've come a long way from a year ago.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

rafikki posted:

Congrats!

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

I'm going to start working my way through the 70-462 official study guide in preparation for taking the test in a few months. Are there any suggestions for supplemental material to go with the book?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is the mcsa server 2012 practical knowledge or all insane minutia that I will never use outside of a server admin role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

You probably wouldn't even use it in a server admin role.