Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The main slowdown with Premiere is you can't open a project in two places at once so you have to get a bit creative with mapping out how projects are dynamically linked.

I wish they went into more of this but the interviews implies they did a fair amount of background planning to get this to work and had some custom extensions from Adobe to ensure that everything was streamlined so an editor could just sit down and open their reel which was always maintained to be the latest iteration.

They also mentioned centralising your cache and media as Premiere seems to lag when having to read off multiple sources, even if they are SSD arrays.

One trick I've been playing with is transcoding everything into Cineform so you effectively get no render time in the timeline at all. This is almost a requirement if working with AVCHD codecs as they almost always will find some way to cause you greif and decide not to properly render the audio channel.

The silver lining is that despite all of the teeth pulling, as no doubt there were hours lost when the computer said "no", major films are helping develop Premiere into a viable editing package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

This is exactly how we use Premiere. All of our files are on a single shared storage and we can all open up that Premiere file from any of our connected computers and it works just as you describe.

WebDog posted:

The main slowdown with Premiere is you can't open a project in two places at once so you have to get a bit creative with mapping out how projects are dynamically linked.

BonoMan, are you opening a single project that lives server-side on two different computers or are you doing as WebDog described and dynamically linking projects or moving sequences around via media browser? My understanding is that, like WebDog said, you can not open a project in two places at once.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dillbag posted:

BonoMan, are you opening a single project that lives server-side on two different computers or are you doing as WebDog described and dynamically linking projects or moving sequences around via media browser? My understanding is that, like WebDog said, you can not open a project in two places at once.

I'm not actually sure about opening a single project on dual computers at the same time - I'll try it tomorrow. My gut reaction was "one would be in read only mode" but after thinking about it I'll have to double check.

We do localize our caches though (neither here nor there to your complaints but WebDog mentioned it) and it helps a ton.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

On Deadpool they kept things within Premiere as so not to be reliant on a third party.

They used Media Browser to open up a read-only version of a reel (each reel being about 20 mins long) and for screenings combined all of this into a screening project file.

Larry Jordan dissects their panel. He notes they don't mention any media management tools and seemed to have simply organised media in folders on a server.

Adobe posted:

We wanted to clarify one point about supporting multiple editors in the same project simultaneously. No NLE lets multiple users work on the same project without management software like Adobe Anywhere, Avid Interplay or Final Cut Server. In this instance, the feature used by the “Gone Girl” and “Deadpool” teams allows users to open multiple projects simultaneously. The Media Browser can be used to browse other projects, which, in the case of big productions like “Deadpool,” will likely be those of another editor. You can browse them in a ‘read only’ state, and bring assets in to your own project if you need to.

As they mention in the interviews the biggest slowdown is not how fast your drive is but Premiere having to read and process all of the metadata. What seems to be the case is that if things are moved then Premiere has to ping everything again to make sure.
Which why you start keeping project files and cache files on the same directory as it has to do less hunting.

quote:

How does Premiere and shared storage work within a team of assistants and editors passing work around?

We had a couple of options, we went out to a couple of vendors, to see some of the parameters. I tried EVO SNS, which has a proprietary file browser software for Mac where you can lock projects and stuff. It’s really, really cool, but I don’t think anyone wanted to take a chance at that stage, with third party, because then you’re introducing another thing, where it’s out of Adobe’s hands and it’s out of Blur Studio’s hands.

I personally am going to be using the EVO SNS for my projects because I just like the way it’s set up.

So Julian Clarke the editor had his folder, Matt the first assistant had his folder, VFX had their folder, and so on. There were five folders each with the person or department’s name on it, and inside that folder you would keep your latest Premier project with your current sequences in it and only your most current work.

For example, Julian was working with six reels and so he had six projects in his folder, one for each reel. If you needed something you knew that that would be the latest version. No matter what.

So if you needed to grab something, you could go through media browser, open, inspect and just take whatever you want and because it’s non destructive you knew you couldn’t mess up that project.

There’s nothing you could do to break it as it only pointing to it. So we didn’t have to worry about locking stuff [the Avid way] because you can’t break it. All you had to do was communicate that ‘’oh go in my folder, I just finished Reel 3’’ and then grab that and update the master project.

quote:

Did they have a one-project one-timeline, slimmed down screener project?

They have a screening project which is basically just the current sequences. So it’s basically an empty project where you import the latest 6 reels and that’s it. It will import just the footage used in those 6 reels, and the assets (via the media browser), and it is a lot slimmer obviously – it only has an hour and 50 minutes of footage in that one project.

And that’s the project we would use to screen for studios, or that’s what we would use to make a DCP for another screening, or make a Pro Res or whatever. If we wanted to watch something internally, we’d have one project that just had those six reels in it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BonoMan posted:

I'm not actually sure about opening a single project on dual computers at the same time - I'll try it tomorrow. My gut reaction was "one would be in read only mode" but after thinking about it I'll have to double check.

We do localize our caches though (neither here nor there to your complaints but WebDog mentioned it) and it helps a ton.

So I just checked and we can, in fact, open the same project on two separate computers at the same time and both appear to have write ability :stare:

edit: Double checked it again on a different project on different computers and sure enough we can have the same project file open at the same time and both appear to have write ability which seems like it could gently caress poo poo up.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 21, 2016

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Any recommendations for 4-6 user NAS drives to use with Premiere?

And with that- anyone in the Prelude game yet?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

magiccarpet posted:

Any recommendations for 4-6 user NAS drives to use with Premiere?

And with that- anyone in the Prelude game yet?

What's your primary usage? I've liked the QNAP NAS's we've used in the past. As well as some of the higher end G-Technology RAID setups (which, if you have a mini-sas connection, I have a couple for sale!)

I haven't brought myself to use Prelude. I'm interested to try the livelogging feature one day. Otherwise I'm just usually relying on good script notes and decent editors :\

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Every once in a while I get booked on jobs which generate a large amount of media and require incredibly fast turnaround . Generally the workflow is:
5-8 shooters (FS-7, C300, F-55) are constantly handing off media throughout the day (about 1.5-2TB/day). This media needs to be injested, backed up and distributed to multiple junior editors via USB3/Thunderbolt drives. Selects are cut and Premiere sequences shared to a lead editor, who cuts :30 to :90 pieces for distribution within the next couple of hours.

My ideal workflow would have all the cards land on the NAS, then have shooters login to Prelude and cut their own selects while the lead editor begins to work from the jump. AEs would concurrently backup to a DLT system.

Edit: should mention that all media is cut Raw, and some of the media is 4k.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 21, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

magiccarpet posted:

Every once in a while I get booked on jobs which generate a large amount of media and require incredibly fast turnaround . Generally the workflow is:
5-8 shooters (FS-7, C300, F-55) are constantly handing off media throughout the day (about 1.5-2TB/day). This media needs to be injested, backed up and distributed to multiple junior editors via USB3/Thunderbolt drives. Selects are cut and Premiere sequences shared to a lead editor, who cuts :30 to :90 pieces for distribution within the next couple of hours.

My ideal workflow would have all the cards land on the NAS, then have shooters login to Prelude and cut their own selects while the lead editor begins to work from the jump. AEs would concurrently backup to a DLT system.

Gotcha. How do you want the AEs to connect to this NAS? If you want them to work off of it, I'd suggest something with 10GbE (we use it concurrently at the moment and seems to work pretty good).

Again my only real experience at the moment with that type of workflow is the QNAP system.

This one has TBolt2 and 10GbE - https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/product/model.php?II=198

It has more drives than you asked for, but given the amount of data it seems you're handling... you might want it!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

10Gbe is probably the most robust - do you need a switch inline?

Thanks- this looks like a pretty solid solution.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

magiccarpet posted:

10Gbe is probably the most robust - do you need a switch inline?

Thanks- this looks like a pretty solid solution.

Yeah we have a switch inline. You'll need it if you need to connect more than one machine.

It just occured to me, are these AEs connecting locally?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

BonoMan posted:

So I just checked and we can, in fact, open the same project on two separate computers at the same time and both appear to have write ability :stare:

edit: Double checked it again on a different project on different computers and sure enough we can have the same project file open at the same time and both appear to have write ability which seems like it could gently caress poo poo up.
Do you have Adobe Anywhere installed by chance?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WebDog posted:

Do you have Adobe Anywhere installed by chance?

Nope, none of our machines have it.

edit: For what it's worth our colorist said Premiere most definitely did NOT allow opening of the same project on two different computers in the past. But then he and I tested it a couple of times today and it worked across the board. He just kind of sat there stumped and said "........maybe there was an update?"

So who knows.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Yeah we have a switch inline. You'll need it if you need to connect more than one machine.

It just occured to me, are these AEs connecting locally?

Yes, everything will be local.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

magiccarpet posted:

Yes, everything will be local.

Roger, this was the switch we ended up using for what it's worth:
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-12-Port-10GBase-T-XS712T-100NES/dp/B00BWBLL6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447440138&sr=8-1&keywords=XS712T

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Awesome. Thanks again for all of the help

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
I don't know if this is really the thread for this, but does anyone have a suggestion for VHS video capture?

I've been looking around for converters a bunch but I don't think I've seen one that isn't flawed in some odd way or another so I'm hoping someone has something to say about it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I swear by these

https://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
not sure if this si the right place to post this, but i did/am doing a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdGjD9dGhA

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

atomicthumbs posted:

not sure if this si the right place to post this, but i did/am doing a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdGjD9dGhA
So, you made Top Gun without Tom Cruise? Is that it?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Some of the people here have probably run into something similar, so I'll give it a shot. I rescued some video files from a hard drive, but they seem to be corrupted. Googling gives me a lot of results that seem suspect at best, so anyone with real world experience in trying to repair some corrupted video? There are a couple of dozen, and VLC plays some of them, but they're glitchy. Used Recuva to get them off the drive. Videos shot with FS700. It's also possible that Recuva just doesn't know how to keep them intact, because doing several recoveries produces different playable files.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 28, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

magnificent7 posted:

So, you made Top Gun without Tom Cruise? Is that it?

working title is This Is A Film About Machines

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

atomicthumbs posted:

working title is This Is A Film About Machines

Were you meaning to keep couple of frames of the vollyball match in?

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Rant about NLE's:

They're all garbage now. Or at least, really flawed. Part of the reason is that we're asking a lot more from them (4k, h.264, wierd codecs, etc...), and they're just not built for it.

FCP7: Super outdated, can't handle any really large projects, but had a couple things that Premiere *STILL* can't do properly, like handle XML's, have more that one project open at once, and media manage properly

FCPX: Ok, there are some *seriously* cool things about FCPX, but it's just a nightmare working with other people. Why? Try communicating with a music editor or a sound mixer about what they should be looking at without talking about tracks. It's mindbogglingly insane that they'd try to re-invent editing. That said, it's been a huge success for them commercially.

Premiere: I had such high hopes.... But it's media management is lacking & buggy, and everything adobe is doing points to them adding bells and whistles and not fixing major issues (*cough*lumetri*cough). Collaborating is tough, the presets it tries to give are *really* stupid. Adobe not having it's own mezzanine codec like Pro-Res or DNxHD 36 hurt it.

Avid: Sigh. It's the best of the worst. The way it handles projects with 'bins' is really the best idea for any NLE. And it has the best media management, and it's *by far* the most versatile, for heavy lifting. On the other hand, it's obtuse as gently caress, the interface is hot garbage for no reason. There's a reason it's *still* the industry standard. But it is the worst garbage when trying to anything other than a cut or a dissolve. VFX suuuuuuck in Avid. And let's hope they stay solvent as a company, because, since now they went subscription... When they go under, our software dies. The truck analogy was spot on.

Resolve: Lots of cool things, but it's UI is so constrained, that you really wouldn't want to cut in it. Great for finishing though!

Lightworks: Thelma's Software. No one else uses it, but then, she uses it instead of cutting on film apparently. Who knows.

Vegas: the go to software for Wedding Videographers in the Midwest apparently... They sell a surprising # of copies.

Basically, if you're a one person video department, go FCPX or Premiere. If you want to work in the industry (narrative movies or TV) learn Premiere & Avid, but ask to work in Avid whenever you can.

Also, On Deadpool, the idea was, it's such an effects heavy film, and that they'd have lots of VFX editors (guys who make temporary VFX to show the director an idea, as well as keep track and manage the edit from a VFX point of view) That it would be easier to do all of this in Premiere. Adobe worked *very* closely with them, and would make builds for them. They're still doing press for adobe so it couldn't have gone *that* badly...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

What's the difference between a Bin in Avid and a Bin in Premiere? Not being sarcastic, but I've only used AVID on some very superficial level and it kind of seems like the same thing to me.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Armagnac posted:

Avid: Sigh. It's the best of the worst. The way it handles projects with 'bins' is really the best idea for any NLE. And it has the best media management, and it's *by far* the most versatile, for heavy lifting. On the other hand, it's obtuse as gently caress, the interface is hot garbage for no reason. There's a reason it's *still* the industry standard. But it is the worst garbage when trying to anything other than a cut or a dissolve. VFX suuuuuuck in Avid. And let's hope they stay solvent as a company, because, since now they went subscription... When they go under, our software dies. The truck analogy was spot on.

I remember a video of a dude cutting on one of the original Mac II systems and it looked exactly the same as what everyone was using until the recent facelift that improved things a little. The funny thing about industry standards is that they tend to be progressive in some areas and extremely conservative in others, because when it's your marquee product you really have to make sure not to piss too many people off, whereas a company like Apple that could honestly get by just fine selling zillions of iThings can afford to come out of left field with something like FCPX and just say gently caress it and cut their losses if it tanks.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Armagnac posted:

Adobe not having it's own mezzanine codec like Pro-Res or DNxHD 36 hurt it.
Does Cineform count? Granted you have to give up some time to conform everything but it kills everything iffy with mpeg editing.

Gone Girl and Deadpool are the exception to the norm as Adobe worked with them to make it happen and even it was was sheer hell PR will spin it as being "for the greater good".

Interestingly though this didn't happen with Final Cut Pro with Murch on Cold Mountain.
Apple had brought FCP as a "we'll do something with this later" acquisition not intending it as much more of a light competitor to Premier.
It had gained a small cult following, namely the development of Cinema Tools which was the key in being able to to a 3:2 pulldown into DV.

Apple really didn't want a bar of it not seeing FCP as being anything near ready for feature film editing so offered very lukewarm support. Which all went positive after Murch won an Oscar for editing and suddenly this sub $1000 program took hold.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It'll be interesting to see how Resolve improves over the next couple versions. It's pretty amazing how far they've come all ready and the free version is a must have for syncing (outside avid) and for colour

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 29, 2016

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

BonoMan posted:

What's the difference between a Bin in Avid and a Bin in Premiere? Not being sarcastic, but I've only used AVID on some very superficial level and it kind of seems like the same thing to me.

A bin in Avid is an *actual file* that sits in your finder, that I can just send you. So, a you can't have multiple projects open in avid, but passing bins around is so easy, you don't need to.

Lizard Combatant posted:

It'll be interesting to see how Resolve improves over the next couple versions. It's pretty amazing how far they've come all ready and the free version is a must have for syncing (outside avid) and for colour

Problem with syncing in Resolve, is that if your audio files have lots of metadata, it will get lost. It doesn't get brought in. Still it's really good, just not perfect. If you're doing 2 system sound, and have a production audio track, you should be synching in avid.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Armagnac posted:

Resolve: Lots of cool things, but it's UI is so constrained, that you really wouldn't want to cut in it. Great for finishing though!

Resolve's editing interface is interesting to me because the editing tools are very FCPX-esque in the way the slip/roll tools are all combined, but man is it way clunky. And I don't know if my installations are broken, but I can't edit the keyboard shortcuts at all (Macbook Pro and a PC)

Armagnac posted:

FCPX: Ok, there are some *seriously* cool things about FCPX, but it's just a nightmare working with other people. Why? Try communicating with a music editor or a sound mixer about what they should be looking at without talking about tracks. It's mindbogglingly insane that they'd try to re-invent editing. That said, it's been a huge success for them commercially.

I really like what they've done with FCPX, but realistically they need to create robust audio tools to go with because the trackless paradigm isn't going to play nice with 3rd party solutions (although it plays very nicely with Resolve...)

Armagnac posted:

Premiere: I had such high hopes.... But it's media management is lacking & buggy, and everything adobe is doing points to them adding bells and whistles and not fixing major issues (*cough*lumetri*cough). Collaborating is tough, the presets it tries to give are *really* stupid. Adobe not having it's own mezzanine codec like Pro-Res or DNxHD 36 hurt it.

The interface is just lovely too, everything else I've ever used has a natural way of mouse editing where the cursor can grab clip handles whereas in Premiere I rely on the keyboard for a lot of things because the mouse isn't accurate at all and I have to zoom in 5 times to grab handles. Also the interface is just slow compared to FCPX - if I operate keyboard only, I can scrub through an entire project, mark clip favorites/make subclips, and start a rough edit in FCPX in about 1/4 of the time it takes me to do the same in Premiere.

On the other hand, nobody uses FCPX so I'm running Premiere 80% of the time.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

1st AD posted:

Also the interface is just slow compared to FCPX - if I operate keyboard only, I can scrub through an entire project, mark clip favorites/make subclips, and start a rough edit in FCPX in about 1/4 of the time it takes me to do the same in Premiere.
Do you use Prelude to do that or stick with Premier?
When I first learnt logging it was done via long reels of DV tape with no clip markers so everything was watched in real time and written down by hand into a spreadsheet. This was imported into FCP and selections copied off the master tape.

Seeing Prelude was a revelation as I was able to log interviews in real time while throwing in comments and so on. Not to say you couldn't do that in some way with FCP's log and capture, just it was incredibly slow.

Does anyone else use Prelude to start their projects or do they skip it and head straight into Premiere as it does effectively the same job?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Prelude is an okay product but I wish they would take some of the speed of that interface and just make logging in Premiere a lot faster/less clunky.

FCPX is still better yet than Prelude when it comes to logging speed, and it's all done in the primary editing and interface. I can just select a clip, use the shuttle controls to mark the clip, add meta tags and subclip, then select the next clip without moving my hands very far across the keyboard. When it came to changing all the keyboard shortcuts I was really pissed off at first, but I learned that it was just faster with how they shifted everything.

I really like some of the smaller changes Adobe has been making though, the 3 way corrector has good masking tools now and on small projects I get Resolve-like grading without having to open another app (aka Speedgrade is hot garbage and worse than built in color correction tools).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Armagnac posted:

Problem with syncing in Resolve, is that if your audio files have lots of metadata, it will get lost. It doesn't get brought in. Still it's really good, just not perfect. If you're doing 2 system sound, and have a production audio track, you should be synching in avid.

It brings it in, it just wipes it if you use auto sync which I can only assume is a bug to be fixed (no one could WANT that surely). I remember finding a work around for that though, I'll check my notes. But yes, for anything other than dailies, Avid is the way to go.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

Lizard Combatant posted:

It brings it in, it just wipes it if you use auto sync which I can only assume is a bug to be fixed (no one could WANT that surely). I remember finding a work around for that though, I'll check my notes. But yes, for anything other than dailies, Avid is the way to go.

Please do, I'm very curious (we're talking about the extra metadata like Boom/Lav, Character name, Sc/Tk, Etc... that you get on a sound devices), as I'm having DIT's/AE's do transcodes/clones in Resolve anyways, but that lack of metadata was a deal killer for me to use it as a syncing machine.

That said, I think doing it in Avid is probably better, once you actually figure out the completely unintuitive way it works, especially if you're doing a 'Field Recorder' workflow, where you're just working with the production mix in the offline, and linking to all the audio for the Mix.

1st AD posted:

Resolve's editing interface is interesting to me because the editing tools are very FCPX-esque in the way the slip/roll tools are all combined, but man is it way clunky. And I don't know if my installations are broken, but I can't edit the keyboard shortcuts at all (Macbook Pro and a PC)

Resolve *really* wants a beast of a Machine, with fast storage and a great GPU. If you have that cutting in it isn't the worst... Still, not amazing though. A MBP will not cut it.

1st AD posted:

I really like what they've done with FCPX, but realistically they need to create robust audio tools to go with because the trackless paradigm isn't going to play nice with 3rd party solutions (although it plays very nicely with Resolve...)

It *will* play with resolve, "very nicely" is a huge overstatement. Lots of re-sizing won't come through, and FCPX people tend to nest like crazy in my experience which does not work out well, as well as little finicky issues. Still, some of the effects in FCPX, like the resizing, speed ramping, are of a *very* high quality. That, with it's ability to read 5.1 audio without issues, makes it a swiss-army knife for deliverables for a couple companies I know. It's got some cool things, but soooo many dealbreakers to work as an actual edit solution.

WebDog posted:

Do you use Prelude to do that or stick with Premier?
When I first learnt logging it was done via long reels of DV tape with no clip markers so everything was watched in real time and written down by hand into a spreadsheet. This was imported into FCP and selections copied off the master tape.

Seeing Prelude was a revelation as I was able to log interviews in real time while throwing in comments and so on. Not to say you couldn't do that in some way with FCP's log and capture, just it was incredibly slow.

Does anyone else use Prelude to start their projects or do they skip it and head straight into Premiere as it does effectively the same job?

I tried with prelude once, as I had a similar reaction (holy poo poo an intuitive logging tool!) but I remember not being able to create subclips, or something very basic like that, searching for two hours about how to do it, seeing that it wasn't actually possible, and throwing my hands in the air being like, THEN WHAT THE gently caress IS THE POINT OF THIS SOFTWARE. Maybe it's better now? I havent heard anything though.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Prelude hasn't really done anything massive since it's release beyond adding few refinements or creating custom tags which are a bit like FCPX's.

I mostly use it for transcoding and logging as it's rough cut feature is kinda handy but a bit redundant.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

sockpuppetclock posted:

I don't know if this is really the thread for this, but does anyone have a suggestion for VHS video capture?

I've been looking around for converters a bunch but I don't think I've seen one that isn't flawed in some odd way or another so I'm hoping someone has something to say about it.

I want to do the exact opposite and somehow get video on to a VHS for the extra effect then back again.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

WebDog posted:

Prelude hasn't really done anything massive since it's release beyond adding few refinements or creating custom tags which are a bit like FCPX's.

I mostly use it for transcoding and logging as it's rough cut feature is kinda handy but a bit redundant.

Bang3r posted:

I want to do the exact opposite and somehow get video on to a VHS for the extra effect then back again.

Decklink Studio (or any blackmagic or AJA i/o solution with analog in/out) and a VCR.

On the feature I produced (and did all the post work for) I used a Decklink studio to capture from Hi8, as about 15% of the film was shot on an old Hi8 camera.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have a question about archiving footage in Adobe Premiere CC and After Effects CC. My collection of footage is taking up a massive amount of space on my HDD.

I've used After Effects' Reduce Project + Collect Files Function to save only used footage.
I've used Premiere Pro's Project Manager to exclude unused clips and create a Project Folder.

So, I have a nice collection of only the video files that were used. But, how do I modify this collection so only the portion of the clips that were used get archived? Because right now it's saving the ENTIRE .mp4 file, when only bits and pieces were used in the Premiere/AE project.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You'd do consolidate and transcode in the options. That would export just the relevant bits and then reconnect to the new files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Armagnac posted:

4k iMac is decent price/power trade off.

Just stay the hell away from the trashcan Mac Pro's. They're a disaster with recalls, fried chips, GPU's overheating giving you bad renders... etc.

Ended up getting one of these a while back and I love it. Nice big workspace to edit with, and I also got it fairly cheaply too ~1400 bucks.

magiccarpet posted:

Edit: should mention that all media is cut Raw, and some of the media is 4k.

What do you do? Like what level of work?

I'm asking because I'm about to embark on getting my college degree in film editing at University San Diego thanks to the 9/11 GI Bill. I've posted here before, a few times I think, and have years of experience to back up everything just not the degree. I'm curious about the industry out in the civilian world since it's something I'll be joining soon.