Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Protests in brussels. The dude with glasses was assaulting anti-immigration protesters just before the Sean Bean stunt double decked him.

It just made me think of what SC backers must think of us.

Wait, so glasses punched first?

e: how do I keep getting this god damned first posts.

Here, suffer like I have:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

If CIG was actually running out of money they would put another "Limited" ship up for sale: 1500 available at $2000 each for an easy 3 million.

Closing half the studios (LA, Austin) and putting the PU on the back burner until SQ42 is done seems plausible.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yeah, people are setting themselves up to be disappointed if they hope CIG is completely out of steam. I don't doubt Derek's convinced, but then again he was pretty adamant that CIG would fold before new year's as well - I don't think everyone would agree with his conclusions at this point if we had his information

Plus, it's going nowhere. There's just so much fun to be had with this "end days" deal, I'll bet their backers' stupidity will give them (and us) much joy yet

You could downsize and stretch another sale period out in October-December 2016, but if the game just isn't there anyone on the coding side will know it's basically scamming people.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'll believe CIG is dead when Derek's standing atop its smoldering carcass with a pitchfork in his hand, not before then.
Just a fork will do.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

If CIG was actually running out of money they would put another "Limited" ship up for sale: 1500 available at $2000 each for an easy 3 million.

Closing half the studios (LA, Austin) and putting the PU on the back burner until SQ42 is done seems plausible.

This would make sense if they thought they could pull it off

I'm not sure they can sell 1500 ships, and just about all those sold would be purchased by store credit

A failed fire sale like that would make a bank run almost inevitable

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait, so glasses punched first?

e: how do I keep getting this god damned first posts.

There's a video of it over in gbs. I'm not really picking sides, but the glasses dude was out of line shoving people and grabbing their protest signs.

I get that he was really upset by them not agreeing with his beliefs, but I think it's funny that he thought he could act like an rear end without any response from other angry people.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

GabrielMobius posted:

Golden salt. I will use it to season my fries this afternoon.

I haven't addressed you directly before Derek but real talk man: I get where you're coming from on not tipping your hand too much so that CIG can't spin as hard as they can away from proving you right. POTATO was a fantastic bit of evidence on this. But it would be way better if you could somehow just put something somewhere that's timestamped all to poo poo, naming specifics, so that you can drop the curtain when the time comes. Someone earlier talked about doing a private YouTube video, and I think that's a perfect idea. Make a burner channel (so that it's unlikely it'll get picked up by the usual suspects) just in case something fucks up and it goes public, upload it to private, and just bide your time.

Do it for us, Derek. Do it so that when the time comes, we can use it to wring the last bit of salt out of reddit and the brown sea.

I have considered it. Especially given all the "don't you loving do it!" vibes I'm getting from my attorneys :D :D

Seriously, tbh, for me, this is not about scooping and/or hurting anyone. It's just not my style. My whole premise for this is to prove that I have been right since day one, and that this has ended up hurting some (we don't care about Shitizens) gamers, gaming in general, and by a larger extent, video game crowd-funding. And it's something that I take very seriously. Especially because that croberts left the industry, then came back and started making waves, pissing and spitting on everything with his "gently caress publishers", "I am going to save PC gaming" bullshit. It was all bullshit. Right from the start. And it doesn't help that with his lying talentless hack of a wife, decided that they would treat those who WERE in the industry all this time, poorly because they could and had the money and clout to do it.

When I wrote that first blog, I thought that would be the end of it. I was wrong.

Once they made it personal, they triggered my autism spectrum and penchant for never - ever - letting go of a bone until I had chewed it until it disappears. And they gave me a bone. Then tried to hide the bag of bones.

Here we are.

I am going to see this to the very bitter end because I know with 100% certainty, sources be damned, that I'm right.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

You could downsize and stretch another sale period out in October-December 2016, but if the game just isn't there anyone on the coding side will know it's basically scamming people.

There's so many idiots out there stating "CIG is making great progress, look at all these fancy ships they've made plus they got like everything done it's just not released yet"

I know they're a small minority of loud idiots, but even so :shrug:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Toops did you find time to update the repo?

Forgot to merge changes to sandbox. Fuggit, I'm just gonna give you guys read access to master.

Also, did you notice?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

cocaine dad show posted:

I assumed the 30-90 days was encompassing the various deadlines on terms of service/s beginning to hit, notice periods given by people who are leaving being variously reached, the beginning of further scale-backs and so on, and the reactions to those snowballing

Your assumptions were correct. See my "ripple effect" post.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Why does she have frozen food packaging on her arm?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

tooterfish posted:

Are you sure about this? Last time I read about Project Zomboid they were dead against procedural generation of any kind, especially map generation. They wouldn't even contemplate it.

It's basically what killed my interest in the game.

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2015/10/my-generation/

From here onwards they discuss it. They're building out Louisville and decided somewhere back there that maybe building the largest city in Kentucky by hand was a bad idea. Things like skyscrapers and other such buildings will be hand crafted but the rank and file of suburbia will be a matter of houses being built around roads.

Furthermore homes people build will be uploadable to the Steam workshop. So that's nice.

Their hope is that it'll vastly reduce the overhead for people who wish to craft their own scenarios/cities to upload/play with. So it's a neat ambition.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

spacetoaster posted:

There's a video of it over in gbs. I'm not really picking sides, but the glasses dude was out of line shoving people and grabbing their protest signs.

I get that he was really upset by them not agreeing with his beliefs, but I think it's funny that he thought he could act like an rear end without any response from other angry people.

Aye social media is reporting from first hand witnesses that the escalation actually started by extreme left wingers, and provoked the right wingers.
But you won't be hearing this on the news.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Forgot to merge changes to sandbox. Fuggit, I'm just gonna give you guys read access to master.

Also, did you notice?

Yes :3:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Oh, well yeah I mean if you're shoving people and poo poo you really can't be too surprised if you get popped.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

I'm not sure they can sell 1500 ships, and just about all those sold would be purchased by store credit

AP posted:

890 Jump, Idris M, new Corvette concept, those would all make money.

They'd have to number limit the 890 Jump & Idris M which runs a real risk of popping the bubble. Might be able to sell 890 of the 890 Jump for $534,000 or 500 Idris M for $625,000 but looks like a cash grab with neither in the hangar.

New Corvette they could sell freely for $500-750, might make a million or more. A FPS weapon pack, clothing packs, ship upgrades, if they intended to put some of these into the "game" but fail they could sell them direct through the website but I think that would really piss people off and maybe not raise much.

AP's theory seems likely. I agree that CIG isn't in fire-sale mode yet, but if they go that direction, the Idris and 890 are juicy targets and would likely make them some fast cash. :tinfoil: time, I think that if they are going down, there's also got to be someone involved who knows that if they break their word on those things as limited sales, they're confirming the ship sinking; so they're fighting with themselves over if to buoy things with a quick cash-grab or just to try to ride this out and hope SQ42 does... something.

It won't.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I did not used to be a fan of Derek, but I've seen people criticize him here...while he does occasionally have a hard time admitting he could be wrong on something, the only people he has ever actually personally gone after have made it personal about him

and I can respect that

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

orcinus posted:

Why does she have frozen food packaging on her arm?

Man, I don't fuckin' know. It's just like with Bunnyman and his weird costumes - I'm not here to try and understand the autism, I'm just here to document it.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

spacetoaster posted:

Protests in brussels. The dude with glasses was assaulting anti-immigration protesters just before the Sean Bean stunt double decked him.

It just made me think of what SC backers must think of us.

Man, anti-immigration protesters are about the LAST people I'd gently caress with. Especially if I was a chubby manchild with balsa wood glasses.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

Man, anti-immigration protesters are about the LAST people I'd gently caress with. Especially if I was a chubby manchild with balsa wood glasses.

i bet the punchman supports trump

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

As you already mentioned, they would declare it new cash only. Which "might" be a warning sign to backers, but at this point the whales are so deluded I don't think they can actually see warning signs.

There just seems to be a ton of ways for CIG to suck more money out of backers; plus I'm sure some publisher somewhere would be willing to buy the company on the cheap. I doubt they have any creditors so a publisher might buy CIG on a fire sale deal to CR, who then walks away much like what he did with Freelancer.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Eldragon posted:

They are hosed if they don't all sell, they took a lot of flak when they put 5000 of the constellation phoenix up for sale when they had 50 million in funding and they didn't all sell. They tried to explain it away by saying they forgot to count the upgrade packs, but there was something like 3000 left and the Citizens were questioning their faith for weeks after that.

Beanie babies died almost overnight when supply outstripped demand. It's valuable because somebody can't get it, if everyone can get it, it's just not as valuable.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

They are hosed if they don't all sell, they took a lot of flak when they put 5000 of the constellation phoenix up for sale when they had 50 million in funding and they didn't all sell. They tried to explain it away by saying they forgot to count the upgrade packs, but there was something like 3000 left and the Citizens were questioning their faith for weeks after that.

Beanie babies died almost overnight when supply outstripped demand. It's valuable because somebody can't get it, if everyone can get it, it's just not as valuable.

And they've pretty much torpedo'd the value of Vanduul ships recently

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Truga posted:

Honestly the amount of cash they've been raking in, they'd have to be extraordinarily dumb to not try to get some extra via secondary sources, cause they probably could, at least when the whale train was still going strong if not now.

On the other hand, they've shown time and time again they are extraordinarily dumb, so who knows.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they did raise some funds, with backer funding as collateral/deposit. Even if they did, with how much splurging Chris seems to be willing to do, it wouldn't have made a lot of difference and likely would have been spent on more mo-cap shooting or more stupid overpriced furniture.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Toops posted:

Also, did you notice?

I still like the airplane desk. I chuckled a lot.

I still stand by my guess this mess makes it to quarter 3, how much of the mess makes it there, wasn't the original bet.

If the game fails in 3 days, or 3 months, doesn't matter, this kind of stuff will be legend anyways.

paaarp

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dusty Lens posted:

From here onwards they discuss it. They're building out Louisville and decided somewhere back there that maybe building the largest city in Kentucky by hand was a bad idea. Things like skyscrapers and other such buildings will be hand crafted but the rank and file of suburbia will be a matter of houses being built around roads.

Furthermore homes people build will be uploadable to the Steam workshop. So that's nice.

Their hope is that it'll vastly reduce the overhead for people who wish to craft their own scenarios/cities to upload/play with. So it's a neat ambition.

Does project zomboid have proper controller support yet? I got it ages ago and I can see the potential but I hate keyboard and mouse controls.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

There's so many idiots out there stating "CIG is making great progress, look at all these fancy ships they've made plus they got like everything done it's just not released yet"

I know they're a small minority of loud idiots, but even so :shrug:

I meant the coding side developers, at some point it becomes too obvious to ignore and the fear/effort of finding another job is less than staying onboard the train when you know the bridge ahead is out.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

No. The issue with the amount is about statutes for legally actionable fraudulent inducement

Sure they can sue, but so what. This is going to turn into a class action lawsuit, and the only one who will profit is the lead lawyer.
Everyone else will get a check for $4.20

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biS4AmnS1BY

Paradox Interactive is releasing a full game that they started to make in May of 2013.

I am really looking forward to this.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lladre posted:

Sure they can sue, but so what. This is going to turn into a class action lawsuit, and the only one who will profit is the lead lawyer.
Everyone else will get a voucher for the next chris roberts game.

I really hope this drags on for 6 more months though. Or a christmas release. Imangine being a kid and getting this game for christmas?

ha

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Just skipped about a thousand posts, but this is pretty important for any Aus goons still needing to get a refund.

quote:

Federal Court finds Valve made misleading representations about consumer guarantees

29 March 2016
The Federal Court has found that Valve Corporation (Valve), through its online game distribution platform Steam, and its Steam website, engaged in misleading or deceptive conduct and made false or misleading representations to Australian consumers about the consumer guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), in proceedings brought by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

The Court found that Valve made the following false or misleading representations to consumers, in the terms and conditions contained in three versions of its Steam Subscriber Agreement and two versions of its Steam Refund Policy:

consumers were not entitled to a refund for digitally downloaded games purchased from Valve via the Steam website or Steam Client (in any circumstances);
Valve had excluded statutory guarantees and/or warranties that goods would be of acceptable quality; and
Valve had restricted or modified statutory guarantees and/or warranties of acceptable quality.
Justice Edelman concluded that making each of these representations involved conduct in Australia by Valve and that, in any event, Valve was carrying on business in Australia.

“The Federal Court’s decision reinforces that foreign based businesses selling goods and/or services to Australian consumers can be subject to Australian Consumer Law obligations, including the consumer guarantees,” ACCC Chairman Rod Sims said.

“In this case, Valve is a US company operating mainly outside Australia, but, in making representations to Australian consumers, the Federal Court has found that Valve engaged in conduct in Australia,” Mr Sims said. “It is also significant that the Court held that, in any case, based on the facts, Valve was carrying on business in Australia.”

“This is also the first time Courts have applied the extended definition of ‘goods’ to include “computer software” in the ACL. It will provide greater certainty where digital goods are supplied to consumers through online platforms,” Mr Sims said.

“Consumer issues in the online marketplace are a priority for the ACCC and we will continue to take appropriate enforcement action to hold businesses accountable for breaches of the ACL."

A hearing on relief will be held on a date to be fixed by the Court.

Background
Valve is an entertainment software and technology company located in the United States of America. Valve owns and operates an online computer game distribution platform known as ‘Steam’ that has over 125 million users worldwide, with approximately 2.2 million of those users being Australian consumers. In 2015, Valve’s revenue was reported at over $3 billion.

Valve sells digitally downloadable computer games through Steam to Australian consumers. It does not have physical retail stores in Australia and predominately operates from Washington State.

Digital gaming sales worldwide grew 8% from 2014 to 2015 and has become a $61 billion industry.

Under the Australian Consumer Law, all consumer goods or services come with automatic consumer guarantees that they are of acceptable quality and fit for the purpose for which they were sold. If they are not, consumers have a right to a remedy, which may include refund, repair or replacement in certain circumstances. These consumer rights cannot be excluded, restricted or modified.

To find out more about consumer guarantee rights, please visit: http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...hts-guarantees.

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...umer-guarantees

:yarg: :pgabz: Our federal court finds that you're entitled to all Australian consumer protections for digital goods and that consumer law cannot be overwritten by ToS. :pgabz: :gary:

I wrote about this in my January refund request :smug:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Citizens are documenting how much of the game isn'tis finished

BookmarkStretch Goal Status Update For those New to the Star Citizen Community

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e9rQr2_iR0XPrvYrCNoFk4nNq_5VrrJFXf2G02MmVnU/

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

I meant the coding side developers, at some point it becomes too obvious to ignore and the fear/effort of finding another job is less than staying onboard the train when you know the bridge ahead is out.

Oh, yeah that makes sense. I'd think they could keep a lot of that under wraps for a while though - for all I know that guy who does the Austin updates on AtV could be the only guy left

F42 would be harder to keep quiet about, but then again it's probably harder to get a game dev job in the UK

Might be totally wrong though

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Does project zomboid have proper controller support yet? I got it ages ago and I can see the potential but I hate keyboard and mouse controls.

I think it's still something you have to do yourself. The only game I've used a controller with in the last half decade has been Dark Souls so I can't say as to the quality in PZ. Honestly I haven't played PZ enthusiastically for quite a few builds since my last MP playthrough with some friends. It continues to be a game that I follow enthusiastically and they're making some really pronounced strides towards a completed game but doing the whole playthrough/abandon/playthrough/abandon early access thing is a cycle that I wore thin on a while ago.

e; On a side note I'm glad to see that NOW/imminent collapse has already evolved to 30-90 days. Given that DS declared them bankrupt I guess that'll put them a couple million dollars in the hole.

2 days until the mass walkout?

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 29, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

And they've pretty much torpedo'd the value of Vanduul ships recently

Yeah, 890 Jump, Idris M and the new corvette that's pretty much all that's left in the cupboard I think. Any new concept needs artwork and some fresh ideas, mudflation will just hurt them more and it's hard to have fresh ideas if you are panicking.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

D_Smart posted:

Exactly. Or the guy who was part of the team that decided not to give them money ;)

Seriously, the coverage of this farce is a huge Red flag for investors, publishers, banks etc. Nobody wants to be the one left holding the bag when the collapse comes.

Plus, being the gaming sector, they know that the likelihood of being burned by a studio that has burned through $111M+ and NO PRODUCT is a loving huge risk.

Derek, when it's all on the cusp of utterly collapsing, you should show up at CIG's office (or where ever Chris, specifically, is located at the time) and make an offer to help them get it released.

Then just laugh, say "Yeah... Right". And walk away.

Just make sure you're wearing full combat armor, 'cause, I don't think they'd be greeting you with Earl Grey tea and biscuits.

:11tea:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

at this point its sheer stubbornness in wanting to look like they are right

they are less concerned with the thousands that they spent than they are with convincing people (and themselves) that it was a good purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

"Please note: this does not mean procedural generated maps during gameplay will ever be a part of Project Zomboid. What it does mean is that tools are being given to massively speed up players who enjoy creating maps"

It's a shame, because they're nearly there. They recognise the advantages, and seem to have gone a long way to solving some of the problems (their tool can create streets of procedural houses), but still aren't getting that it can be done well enough to complement their "hand crafted" content (which is probably built from templates anyway, go figure).

It seems like a game where you're supposed to die a lot, so only having one (or even a handful) of maps really kills the appeal for me. I can't blame them for building the game they want, not the game I want, I just think their attitude towards PG is very silly and reactionary (it kinda echoes that of Croberts and the CIG fanboys).

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 29, 2016

• Locked thread