Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The thing that I, and this is just me personally here, don't like about dominance in sports, is this: I feel that it undervalues and fails to acknowledge the dominance the men and women in our armed forces have had over the western world since world war two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

To be honest part of the reason I don't care for the NBA as much as other sports is I feel like there are really only 1 or 2 contenders every year (Golden State and San Antonio this year) and who cares about the 4v5 matchup in the East when it is clear that neither of these teams have a prayer of winning the title? Contrast with with other sports like football, hockey, and baseball where while there are certainly favorites and underdogs, no one will be absolutely shocked to see an underdog win a championship.

I don't really think it has much to do with the teams or the leagues, just that I believe there is less variance in basketball than other sports simply because there are more scoring plays so variance is reduced.

I mean look at the list of champions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_champions

Look how many 1 seeds win the championship, sometimes it's a 2 or 3 seed. Meanwhile a #8 seed recently won the Stanley Cup, wild cards have won the World Series and Super Bowl, etc.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 28, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

zakharov posted:

Auriemma made the point that golf's ratings soared when Woods was crushing everyone and there wasn't nearly as much whining. Or, you know, the Warriors this year. People like dominance until women are involved hmmmmm

UConn has been much more dominating than either of those.

It's not their fault. But it's a reality that there isn't much of a reason to watch these days. They just won a Sweet 16 game by 60 points.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Basketball's less random but it makes up the difference aesthetically

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, Woods at least had competition from people like Mickelson and Garcia, the UConn women are pretty much alone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mind_Taker posted:

To be honest part of the reason I don't care for the NBA as much as other sports is I feel like there are really only 1 or 2 contenders every year (Golden State and San Antonio this year) and who cares about the 4v5 matchup in the East when it is clear that neither of these teams have a prayer of winning the title? Contrast with with other sports like football, hockey, and baseball where while there are certainly favorites and underdogs, no one will be absolutely shocked to see an underdog win a championship.

I don't really think it has much to do with the teams or the leagues, just that I believe there is less variance in basketball than other sports simply because there are more scoring plays so variance is reduced.

I mean look at the list of champions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_champions

Look how many 1 seeds win the championship, sometimes it's a 2 or 3 seed. Meanwhile a #8 seed recently won the Stanley Cup, wild cards have won the World Series and Super Bowl, etc.

The flipside is that most of the regular season in hockey doesn't really mean jack poo poo since half the league is in the playoffs and anyone can happen to catch good health and a hot goalie at the right time.

OTOH there's baseball where the playoffs are exciting because the champion is essentially random, but that does tend to undermine the 162 game regular season.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DJExile posted:

Yeah, Woods at least had competition from people like Mickelson and Garcia, the UConn women are pretty much alone.

Garcia as in Sergio Garcia?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Metapod posted:

Garcia as in Sergio Garcia?

Yeah, and granted when I say "competition" in the context of Sergio, I mean 'competition' until an astoundingly reliable meltdown around the 13th hole.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mind_Taker posted:

It's more a combination of that and seven-game series. Look at the NBA first-round vs March Madness first round. Also, having the best player is about equal to having the best quarterback except he's involved in 3/4 of the plays in a game instead of half.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

zakharov posted:

Auriemma made the point that golf's ratings soared when Woods was crushing everyone and there wasn't nearly as much whining. Or, you know, the Warriors this year. People like dominance until women are involved hmmmmm

This is insane. If the Warriors won every game of the NBA Finals by 30-50 points, people would loving hate them too. It's not even a comparison.

Or for a more accurate comparison, how do you think the men's tourney would do if Duke was cruising to their 83rd title in a row winning every game by those margins? I don't think SAS would be fond of it

edit: It is very likely that in a week or so UConn will have:

Won 6 of the past 8 national championships (Settling for defeats in the final 4 the other two years)

With a combined record of: 295-12

It's an incredible accomplishment, but it definitely takes almost any drama and excitement out of the entire season outside of 'I hope UConn loses this time'

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 28, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only way to stop them is apparently a once in a lifetime center the size of an NBA forward

midwat
May 6, 2007

zakharov posted:

To be fair, Shaunessy is exactly the sort of killjoy who would hate the Warriors.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I'm pretty sure people just hate watching women's college basketball because it's really boring and are looking for any excuse to explain why they're doing better things with their time. I wish we lived in a society where men could act like men and go on twitter and just say "Dunks are loving sweet don't waste my time with things that aren't dunks" without the superego interfering.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Marquis de Pyro posted:

This is insane.

Plus its insane when there's examples of women sports dominance that were treated positively, for instance when Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh obliterated literally everything flung into their path for like 12 years.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sash! posted:

Plus its insane when there's examples of women sports dominance that were treated positively, for instance when Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh obliterated literally everything flung into their path for like 12 years.

That's different. If you don't like seeing your country completely destroy the competition in the Olympics then :getout:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Metapod posted:

That's different. If you don't like seeing your country completely destroy the competition in the Olympics then :getout:

Yes, where the US wins the medal count and gold medal count and you look at the totals like "only eight more golds than China? This is unacceptable."

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sash! posted:

And maybe I just missed it, but I don't recall ever hearing anything negative about Ronda Rousey before she lost. Many people genuinely believed that she would never lose and didn't have a problem with it at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think people treat individual sports dominance differently than team sports for whatever reason

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think people treat individual sports dominance differently than team sports for whatever reason
Because it's fun to watch an individual who's also a massive outlier.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Last College sports game I tuned into specifically because it was supposed to be a absolute drubbing was Boise State v Oklahoma and welp, guess I got to watch the best college football game ever. It may have been the first college game I tuned into and has been the last.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

OctoberBlues posted:

And maybe I just missed it, but I don't recall ever hearing anything negative about Ronda Rousey before she lost. Many people genuinely believed that she would never lose and didn't have a problem with it at all.

It was never super loud, and most fight fans liked Rousey. But there was definitely a contingent of people (myself included) that thought her dominance was more related to the general weakness of her division than her skills.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Patrick Spens posted:

It was never super loud, and most fight fans liked Rousey. But there was definitely a contingent of people (myself included) that thought her dominance was more related to the general weakness of her division than her skills.

hey that's Serena Williams' music

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's likely an issue for a lot of women's sports,the more I think about it. International soccer is basically the US, Germany, France and Brazil (maaaybe Japan) and then an enormous gap to the next level. Women's hockey might as well be just the US and Canada right now.

Rousey's a hell of a fighter, I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but the criticism of the depth of the rest of the womens divisions was pretty legitimate. Granted, that's not Rousey's fault.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Has Japan been riding a wave of abnormally high talent? Because two silvers and a gold over the last five years seems like more than "maybe" top tier.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Noctone posted:

Has Japan been riding a wave of abnormally high talent? Because two silvers and a gold over the last five years seems like more than "maybe" top tier.

It seems that way. As memory serves they were mostly an also-ran until recently, but it sounds like after their World Cup upset of the states, that was the peak. This year they got to the finals largely by having a good draw (and Australia shocking Brazil in the knockout round), and their depth past this point is kinda questionable. The US is a drat good team but for them to beat the absolute brakes off Japan this past summer was a shock to everyone.

Still, they're far from a bad program.

E: Billy Haisley can't write but he does describe this a lot better than I can. Short version is they showed up on the world stage in 08 and geared up for one huge run, but it's likely not sustainable in the big picture.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 29, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Marquis de Pyro posted:

This is insane. If the Warriors won every game of the NBA Finals by 30-50 points, people would loving hate them too. It's not even a comparison.

Or for a more accurate comparison, how do you think the men's tourney would do if Duke was cruising to their 83rd title in a row winning every game by those margins? I don't think SAS would be fond of it

edit: It is very likely that in a week or so UConn will have:

Won 6 of the past 8 national championships (Settling for defeats in the final 4 the other two years)

With a combined record of: 295-12

It's an incredible accomplishment, but it definitely takes almost any drama and excitement out of the entire season outside of 'I hope UConn loses this time'

Are there only like 5 teams in women's basketball that put any effort into recruiting on a national level? I've just always wondered what made the talent disparity so wide, you always have UConn who's 40 points better than anyone else, but then you also always have a second tier of about four or five teams (rotation of Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford, etc.) who are about 25 points better than everyone else.

Other than just a few of the very elite, do women just tend more go to the school that they want to go to for non-basketball reasons?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

DJExile posted:

It's likely an issue for a lot of women's sports,the more I think about it. International soccer is basically the US, Germany, France and Brazil (maaaybe Japan) and then an enormous gap to the next level. Women's hockey might as well be just the US and Canada right now.

Rousey's a hell of a fighter, I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but the criticism of the depth of the rest of the womens divisions was pretty legitimate. Granted, that's not Rousey's fault.

yeah, most women's sports are like this for fairly obvious reasons. As noted, women's tennis also suffers from having a fairly shallow pool when compared with the men. Not nearly as bad as hockey, fighting, basketball, soccer, etc, and Serena is a legit stud, but it is an entirely fair criticism.

That being said, I thought it was pretty clear his argument was that the dominance makes an already fringe sport even more unwatchable due to the lack of talent across the board, not that UConn should start sucking or anything. Geno is also an insufferable moron. This is like Gawker vs Hogan levels of poo poo vs poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it's seen as more impressive, because if you succeed, it's all on you. Wheras you can be a scrub in team sports and end up with a bunch of championship rings on the work and talent of others.

It's kinda interesting and troubling how much of a objectivist streak there is in sports media.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's kinda interesting and troubling how much of a objectivist streak there is in sports media.

I think it's fans in general who are objectivist about sports (heroic ideals, lack of empathy, defending the act of making GBS threads on athletes through economics, and personal happiness above all else) and it's just that sports media is increasingly taking on the attributes of their viewers as dive further into hot-take lowest common denominator.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how the hell is liking a dominant player objectivist

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/714520529000988672

I kind of like this guy, his stories come from unexpected angles. He did the big "Seahawks commit PI on every play" story from two years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NFL is demanding the NY Times retract their story calling out the NFL for using bad data to dismiss the link to CTE

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Toilet Mouth posted:

Are there only like 5 teams in women's basketball that put any effort into recruiting on a national level? I've just always wondered what made the talent disparity so wide, you always have UConn who's 40 points better than anyone else, but then you also always have a second tier of about four or five teams (rotation of Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford, etc.) who are about 25 points better than everyone else.

Other than just a few of the very elite, do women just tend more go to the school that they want to go to for non-basketball reasons?

The gap between the elite and the pretty good is far more pronounced, in terms of talent, team building, and coaching. Both men and women have teams that are expected to be in the hunt every year, but while the men have a strong secondary tier that's capable of hanging with the top and is acceptable as champions (Villanova, UConn, basically what the Big East has become hth), the women's game simply doesn't have that depth. As you said it's UConn at god tier, then Notre Dame and Stanford. Baylor's a hair below that and South Carolina's effectively replaced what Tennessee was after Dawn Staley's hiring/Pat Summit's retirement.

I'd imagine a lot of it depends on the amount of money put into the programs as well. Women's Basketball is the only women's sport that seems to draw money and even that's not the case universally. (Yes I know in some places gymnastics draws and women's soccer at like UNC but those are outliers). If you treat a program like it's a Title IX requirement and put in the minimum effort you'll get minimum results; throw some more cash into the pile and wins should follow provided you don't gently caress it up.

e - that's a new word filter, haven't seen that one before

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

That's a hilariously empty threat because then the Times would get to go hog wild during discovery

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

That's a hilariously empty threat because then the Times would get to go hog wild during discovery

Yeah, I get the NFL wanting to actively respond to things like this but holy hell what a dumb card to play.

E: then again I guess they don't really have any others, but come on now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ElwoodCuse posted:

'Proceed, Commissioner.'

midwat
May 6, 2007

Imagine if this was ESPN - they would have folded immediately, and then have their ombudsman say "while mistakes were made, there is no evidence the NFL threat forced the pulling of the story" six months later.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

midwat posted:

Imagine if this was ESPN - they would have folded immediately, and then have their ombudsman say "while mistakes were made, there is no evidence the NFL threat forced the pulling of the story" six months later.

ESPN never would have put the article out in the first place. They're way too cozy with the NFL to ruffle feathers. Good on the TImes. I'd love for the NFL to try and take them to court over this. It would be amazing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The NYTimes has responded to the lawfirm of the NFL by asking them to suck it

Last line:

While your earlier letter to The Times called the tobacco industry "perhaps most odious industry in American history," you somehow fail to mention in either letter that it was your firm that represented Philip Morris in that RICO case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

The NYTimes has responded to the lawfirm of the NFL by asking them to suck it

Last line:

While your earlier letter to The Times called the tobacco industry "perhaps most odious industry in American history," you somehow fail to mention in either letter that it was your firm that represented Philip Morris in that RICO case.

oh my god :thurman: