Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I honestly dont even know what a "NATO counter" is.

I was wanting to try 4, but HoI is probably not for me really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I honestly dont even know what a "NATO counter" is.

I was wanting to try 4, but HoI is probably not for me really

It is a symbol that stands in for a military force, and simplified versions of them are used in WW2 strategy games to represent a country's armies. So a box with an X in it stands for infantry, with a diagonal stands for cavalry, with a dot it stands for artillery, and so on.

A lot of people love NATO counters. A lot of those people love NATO counters a bit too much.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
considering NATO counters are anachronistic as well for a WW2 game.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Groogy posted:

paradox gamers exposed as casuals once again. just can't hang with the real grogs :smug:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

We should use the actual Taktische Zeichen and have the proper icons per year to be proper grogs. Pff have consistent icons? So casual.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Groogy posted:

HoI2 had them and they were legitimately the better choice in that game since the soldier sprites didn't allow you to distinguish different types of units as well. Infantry, marines, mountaineers, paratroopers all used the same generic soldierman sprite, with counters you could actually tell them apart. For me at least, that's where my affection for counters over sprites comes from.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

YF-23 posted:

HoI2 had them and they were legitimately the better choice in that game since the soldier sprites didn't allow you to distinguish different types of units as well. Infantry, marines, mountaineers, paratroopers all used the same generic soldierman sprite, with counters you could actually tell them apart. For me at least, that's where my affection for counters over sprites comes from.

I played HOI2 and DH with counters on, but that's solely because the unit sprites looked like literal turds, unlike HOI4.

Also HOI2/DH/iirc 3 had this completely logical and totally aesthetically-pleasing problem with counters: http://believableworlds.tumblr.com/image/136820258055

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

These counters are makin' me thirsty!!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a reason chemical weapons aren't modeled in Hearts of Iron? I don't think it's one of the taboo things (ie weirdos with why can't I have SimDachu). Is it that in the end it would be a pita to model counter measures to make it more detailed then just an artillery bonus and/or morale hit for defenders?

Also that's like the one NATO counter that gives you an idea of what it is...cause it looks like dead trees.

Also wanted to add that the map and units look so much more pleasing on the eye...same with Stellaris so I suspect I'll just use those.

Oh finally watched Japan World War Wednesday and god I love Battle Plans. It's what I've always wanted, especially the ability to "paint areas" on the map and create offensive and defense areas so easily.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 29, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I just want a realistic picture of my T34 for the unit art as it rolls across Kansas spreading communism.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gfanikf posted:

Is there a reason chemical weapons aren't modeled in Hearts of Iron? I don't think it's one of the taboo things (ie weirdos with why can't I have SimDachu). Is it that in the end it would be a pita to model counter measures to make it more detailed then just an artillery bonus and/or morale hit for defenders?

Ostensibly because warcrimes aren't modeled, but gas attack is present in Victoria 2, so who knows.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gfanikf posted:

If they were, all of Europe would end up covered in anthrax by 1941, courtesy of the Brits.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Drone posted:

Ostensibly because warcrimes aren't modeled, but gas attack is present in Victoria 2, so who knows.

It wasn't a crime during that time period, maybe? :shrug:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Drone posted:

Victoria 2 also features several genocide buttons. The sort of un-PC fun they won't let us have anymore...

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

It wasn't a crime during that time period, maybe? :shrug:

It was, however there was a loophole because the agreement (forgot which one it was) specified the various way to use chemical warfare so simply opening canisters and letting the wind carry the mustard gas was "technically legal".

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When you press the button to use chemical weapons in HoI4, instead you are made to watch Haile Selassie's speech to the League of Nations about the Italian conquest of Ethiopia. After that is complete, the game locks up as Bob Marley's War plays in the background.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah I'm on my first real game on Easy (after restarting due to a food death spiral) and it's quite competitive even with all the advantages I'm getting. I think I have to unlearn a lot of my instincts from Civilization, like using my civilian units to build as much poo poo as possible. Very 90s game, in that it provides a bunch of in-game help but you can still shoot yourself in the foot completely.

I am coming to appreciate the need for careful management of critical, scarce resources (early on, lumber and cast iron) and just how fast you need to start loving up the natives. It's a pretty grim game from their perspective -- it's 100% likely that they will be conquered or absorbed "peacefully".

Overall I think the game (Imperialism II) is very much worth playing, if anyone is looking for a 4X with more than a little resemblance to EU and Vicky.

Oh man hell yes, Imperialism II is amazing. It's one of those games that nails its intended thesis really well. All the mechanics come together to produce a really brilliant exploration / conquest / colonization of the new world game and put it into a context of European competition. There should be an Imperialism III ;_;

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was thinking more of potential uses on different fronts vs Unit 731 Simulator.

Groogy posted:

It was, however there was a loophole because the agreement (forgot which one it was) specified the various way to use chemical warfare so simply opening canisters and letting the wind carry the mustard gas was "technically legal".

Also a lot of nations weren't signatories or didn't ratify it and there were a lot of reservations for each signature.

I want to say the US and Japan definitely weren't. The US Signed the 1925 Geneva Protocol but it wasn't ratified until 1975. The US had a reservation basically saying if an enemy, even a signatory, didn't follow the rules, the prohibition wasn't binding on use against them. The UK also had this one along with one about non signer states and even their allies. A LOT of countries did for a long time.

Wiki on Geneva Protocol explains it in far greater detail.

It was pretty weak, hence why the 1972 Chemical Weapons Convention was concluded. Since you could still make, research, and stockpile it. Use it internally and use it externally pretty easily too.

PleasingFungus posted:

Victoria 2 also features several genocide buttons. The sort of un-PC fun they won't let us have anymore...

Such as? I haven't played Victoria II in a long time and can't remember much about it besides the game being almost on auto run unless there was a war.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 29, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Oh man hell yes, Imperialism II is amazing. It's one of those games that nails its intended thesis really well. All the mechanics come together to produce a really brilliant exploration / conquest / colonization of the new world game and put it into a context of European competition. There should be an Imperialism III ;_;

It's a good game dragged down by the fact that I'm not good at it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

gfanikf posted:

Such as? I haven't played Victoria II in a long time and can't remember much about it besides the game being almost on auto run unless there was a war.

Patter Song posted:

Transvaal also has a Great Trek decision to take many of the Boer pops out of British Cape Colony and into Transvaal, but it doesn't use it. If it did, we could retaliate with the "Attack The Laagers" decision, which massacres the Boer population in Durban and gives us some prestige in return. This is not a joke, this is an actual thing in the game.

The US also has the Trail of Tears decision. Those are the two I was thinking of, though it's certainly possible there are others.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
There's a solution to counters that solves everything for everyone. Use 3d models at all levels, but make them Wrestlemania wrestlers, and translate all actions / special attacks / maneuvers into different grapples. Blitzkrieg encirclement needs to be hitting a guy with a chair and then jumping on him, though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Yeah plus they look cool and wargamey. I guess its unreasonable to obsess about them but they definitely should be on HoI4

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Having your 10+ counter stacks smash a tiny single enemy counter is one hell of a feel

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cant believe this thread has not been gassed yet...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
It's incredible that we've had so many counter posts when they're literally an option in HoI IV anyway

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Empress Theonora posted:

It's incredible that we've had so many counter posts when they're literally an option in HoI IV anyway
It would be great if people would stop posting about them considering it is a non-issue, but I guess people like to be ironic or funny or whatever. Though that Horse/SMG gif was pretty sweet.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Re: chemical weapons in world war 2. They were hardly ever used because all parties involved remembered the first world war and didn't want to escalate to normalising chemical warfare and its widespread use. I mean firebombing civilians and mass rape were okay, of course, but introducing clouds of poisonous vapour that were at the mercy of the prevailing winds was a step too far in a war that was already indiscriminate. If chemical weapons were in the game, you'd end up with some kind nightmarish ahistorical situation where they'd be everywhere all the time thanks to the AI. Or, if you restricted their use to human players only in order to preserve versimillitude you'd end up with players absolutely steamrolling the AI if sulphur mustard gave any kind of worthwhile advantage.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Or they could just already be included in artillery and support weapons. You don't have to select the type of shells each gun or mortar is firing, so just assume that some portion of the mortars and artillery are firing chemical weapons or not. It probably wouldn't make a huge difference given that they weren't that widely used. Does the game model artillery firing smoke bombardments? I honestly don't know that one, but if you're wanting to include some sort of gaseous product fired from support weapons that depends on wind patterns but can be very impactful, you should start there. (Don't actually start there. This game does not need to be that granular)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TomViolence posted:

Re: chemical weapons in world war 2. They were hardly ever used because all parties involved remembered the first world war and didn't want to escalate to normalising chemical warfare and its widespread use. I mean firebombing civilians and mass rape were okay, of course, but introducing clouds of poisonous vapour that were at the mercy of the prevailing winds was a step too far in a war that was already indiscriminate. If chemical weapons were in the game, you'd end up with some kind nightmarish ahistorical situation where they'd be everywhere all the time thanks to the AI. Or, if you restricted their use to human players only in order to preserve versimillitude you'd end up with players absolutely steamrolling the AI if sulphur mustard gave any kind of worthwhile advantage.

gas attacks were also considerably useless in the fast moving warfare of WW2, it just ended up neutralizing attacks and making defense a bitch with all the smoke i think.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yeah plus they look cool and wargamey. I guess its unreasonable to obsess about them but they definitely should be on HoI4

HoI4 has counters, they are visible on your army's icons. The only difference is they're there in addition to the 3D models and do not replace them.

Bort Bortles posted:

Though that Horse/SMG gif was pretty sweet.

Horse?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zebra?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Empress Theonora posted:

it's only the people who hate counters doing this.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I played HoI3 loads with NATO counters and didn't mind them at all.

It is far too funny somebody thought the horse icon could be a cow, zebra or elephant to pass up the comedy posts however.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Hey, India has War Elephants in CKII, maybe they had them in WWII. :colbert:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, Waldetoft is still our music dude.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, I seriously think Waldetoft is the best game composer in the business. It's amazing to me how consistently he turns out really great soundtracks.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Hey, India has War Elephants in CKII, maybe they had them in WWII. :colbert:

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

My only HOI experience is Arsenal of Democracy, which I liked. I love EU4 (eu2/3 were pretty good), couldn't get into CK2 or Vicky, and heard HOI3 was bad. Am I gonna like HOI4?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Azuren posted:

My only HOI experience is Arsenal of Democracy, which I liked. I love EU4 (eu2/3 were pretty good), couldn't get into CK2 or Vicky, and heard HOI3 was bad. Am I gonna like HOI4?

No one knows because it's not out yet. I couldn't stand Hoi3 and think 4 still has wayyyy too many provinces and micro, but I think it will be good. But I'm not the target audience. I don't give a poo poo about moving troops around on the map or the exact type of tanks I have, I just want cool alt-history. Would be fine with EU4 level province size/count and armies made out of 3-4 soldier types.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azuren posted:

HoI4 is being designed to be super user friendly. The troop management and combat will be much more involved than EU4 regardless of the AI, though. I never played Arsenal of Democracy so I cannot comment there. But HoI4 is fixing many of the gripes people had about HoI3 in an effort to make it more approachable. Supposedly the AI for managing fronts, large advances, conquered territory, invasions, ect is going to be very robust.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, I seriously think Waldetoft is the best game composer in the business. It's amazing to me how consistently he turns out really great soundtracks.

Especially the vick2 one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dibujante posted:

I really think an indie dev should try their hand at it. Ubisoft has the rights currently but you could just call it something legally safe. Great game.