Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It was free on PS Plus and that's what caused me to grab it for steam during the sale. I much prefer playing it on the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

PantsBandit posted:

But I doubt RI really gives a poo poo about people buying it.

Yes they do. RI lost a lot of money with that loan to 38 Studios.

People are still pointing fingers. I think there's currently an investigation of the members who approved the loan for potential securities fraud.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Velocity Raptor posted:

Yes they do. RI lost a lot of money with that loan to 38 Studios.

People are still pointing fingers. I think there's currently an investigation of the members who approved the loan for potential securities fraud.

What I mean to say is, Rhode Island doesn't seem to have an understanding or interest in learning how to make some money back on it. If they did it would've had more than one steam sale in the past 4 years.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

What I mean to say is, Rhode Island doesn't seem to have an understanding or interest in learning how to make some money back on it. If they did it would've had more than one steam sale in the past 4 years.

It's been on sale a number of times over the past year or two.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
kingdoms of amulara ranks up there with one of the best huge 2h sword kill the things game if yo are looking for that game but might I interest in you withcer 3? heh its so good mate, u wont believe ur eyes !

i lost all my screenshots, I been still looking for I had some good ones where monsters were in the midst of being cust swatched buckled! bviches

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rebel Assault I + II and Rogue Squadron 3D have been added.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Jordan7hm posted:

It's been on sale a number of times over the past year or two.

Yeah, it gets discounted every summer and winter sale, and every few months in between. It was on sale on Steam just last month, and it's $5 on some site called DLGamer right now.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Witcher 3 is cool and good because you can cut dudes in half.

And then watch pretty sunsets.

And listen to Geralt make puns.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Now there is only a few different varying playthroughs but it’s still neat and its surprising how no one has ever followed in Humongous’ stead with the concept.

EA's Bladerunner game did that as well.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Deakul posted:

Witcher 3 is cool and good because you can cut dudes in half.

good gore and dismemberment systems own, it makes combat in games so much better even if they don't add any mechanical differences

im not a serial killer

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I was hankering for more Batman, and noticed Arkham Knight is only £10 at Bundle Stars so I snapped it up.

Is it still broken, technically? I don't care about DLC. Are there any tweaks I should do before I play to make sure it runs as smooth as possible?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody try Forced Showdown yet? it looks like it could be pretty cool from the game play videos

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ookiimarukochan posted:

EA's Bladerunner game did that as well.
Yeah, its like the only other one. I need to get back to that game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

When I first saw this I wasn't sure if it was real. Then I remembered Geralt is the same character who charged out into a storm, drunk off his rear end to kill monsters in the first game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gravy Jones posted:

I was going to second Kingdoms of Amalur under the assumption it only cost a couple of bucks now, but it's not, so I won't. I had a lot of fun with that game though and you can just slice your way through stuff with a big-rear end 2H sword.

I actually do have KoA for some reason, never really played it (maybe I picked it up in a bundle or something?). Might as well give it a go- is it as MMO-ey as people say? Or is there some actual storyline in it besides 'collect 5 bear asses'?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Centipeed posted:

I was hankering for more Batman, and noticed Arkham Knight is only £10 at Bundle Stars so I snapped it up.

Is it still broken, technically? I don't care about DLC. Are there any tweaks I should do before I play to make sure it runs as smooth as possible?

I love buying games and THEN asking how broken they are.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Centipeed posted:

Uhh... Mess with the Nvidia Gameworks stuff. Maybe turn them off. Also, put the game on an SSD if you have one with enough room. I hope you have lots of RAM.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

CommissarMega posted:

I actually do have KoA for some reason, never really played it (maybe I picked it up in a bundle or something?). Might as well give it a go- is it as MMO-ey as people say? Or is there some actual storyline in it besides 'collect 5 bear asses'?

The story is ok there is one at least there is a lot and I mean a lot of side quests I ersonally I just ran around and did lots of them but a lot of people say if you keep doing them you out level everything so dont do too many. If you want a good "2h smash things" game thats your go to until you get a chance dragons dogma in te future possibly but yeah kingsom of amaular it really good. I dont realmember much blah nm

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Yikes. I wonder if it's about to get even harder to buy video games in Australia.
Naw not really. Unless the ACCC changed what they wanted initially in 2014:

quote:

• Provide an email address that specifically deals with refunds as per Australian Consumer law.
• Provide a 1800 number to help consumers address any refund issues.
• Provide a PO Box address for consumers to deal with refunds.
• Appoint representatives (the ACCC refer to this person as a contact officer) to reply to consumers regarding refunds.
Valve do refunds now (I believe it still doesn't meet the Aus Consumer laws though). The biggest thing is Valve would have to.... :magical:
:science:IMPLEMENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND HAVE A LEAST ONE REAL PHYSICAL PERSON RUN IT:science: :derp:
That there is going to truly, truly be Valve's most difficult task.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ShadowMar posted:

good gore and dismemberment systems own, it makes combat in games so much better even if they don't add any mechanical differences

im not a serial killer

This is a big reason I haven't gotten tired of SUPERHOT yet... I can't get enough of how red dudes shatter. I pretty much just use the katana and shotguns now, depending on if I want to turn people into lunchmeat or confetti.

Quick, how many people are in this screenshot?

ZERO AHAHAHAHAHA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

duckfarts posted:

i'd say yeah for the waving your arms about bit, but no for the stereoscopic 3D + head tracking for presence. motion controls kinda died off because people couldn't figure out what to do with it or just ran out of ideas, so there were only a few games that did things right and a lot of games where they try to shoehorn it in. the 3D and head tracking stuff is far easier to implement due to how 3D graphics are done now anyway, so it fits with a lot more games more easily, including existing ones.

as for jumping around your room though, that does feel a lot like the motion control side of things
I mean, I agree with that, but, just looking at the games, it seems like developers don't know what VR is good for, outside of the Wii shovelware style game. The highest budget stuff that I saw in the GB Oculus stream was either a questionable fit for VR or wasn't particularly well implemented. I was surprised that the space sims had issues in VR since that seemed like the slam dunk genre. There was a $50 action game that was third person and used Resident Evil fixed camera (to avoid motion sickness I assume), and I just don't get the third person thing. There are games that are third person and the camera follows the character but also there's head tracking?? That would just give me a headache or at least disorientation.

The stuff that I thought worked the best was in Oculus's Dreamdeck which is the tech demo that has the "stand on the edge of a really tall building" bit, and the "you're a god overlooking a city" bit. I dunno that any of the slices in that tech demo would make particularly good games had they been spun off, but they do a better job at least of using the format.

Granted, this is the early growing pains that you would at least expect a little bit, but you still expect there to be one title that like, really sells it. And that title doesn't exist. That to me is a concern.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean, I agree with that, but, just looking at the games, it seems like developers don't know what VR is good for, outside of the Wii shovelware style game. The highest budget stuff that I saw in the GB Oculus stream was either a questionable fit for VR or wasn't particularly well implemented. I was surprised that the space sims had issues in VR since that seemed like the slam dunk genre. There was a $50 action game that was third person and used Resident Evil fixed camera (to avoid motion sickness I assume), and I just don't get the third person thing. There are games that are third person and the camera follows the character but also there's head tracking?? That would just give me a headache or at least disorientation.

The stuff that I thought worked the best was in Oculus's Dreamdeck which is the tech demo that has the "stand on the edge of a really tall building" bit, and the "you're a god overlooking a city" bit. I dunno that any of the slices in that tech demo would make particularly good games had they been spun off, but they do a better job at least of using the format.
You could make Actual first person shooters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFOI-xjeM4

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

CommissarMega posted:

It's got a decent (if not generic) and lengthy storyline. A lot of stuff to do. I think there are a fair few Bear rear end Side Quests and optional achievement type stuff. I can't remember for sure, but I think a lot of the time you could stack a few quests and grind them out coming and going and doing story stuff at the same type, which I tend to like. Elements of WoW, Diablo and Elder Scrolls. Combat is fun and fast. Lots of classes, skills and combos, light and arcadey, but satisfying. The progression through the (all designed, no random dungeons) world and story feels a bit MMO like in terms of zones and hubs and level ranges rather than the openess of an Elder Scrolls type game. It's one of the few games of this type I actually finished.

One of those games that I always assumed was poorly received because of all the financial/studio bullshit surrounding it, but checking a couple of aggregate review sites (as well as Steam itself) it looks like it reviewed fairly well.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 29, 2016

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
SUPERHOT but on the VIVE.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I thought about shooters, and I realized that I prefer comfort and convenience over immersion. The HTC Vive is cool if you have the open space I guess. But I just like to sit in a chair and either play with a controller or with mouse & keyboard. The less my body moves the better, imo. Just let me be lazy please, I'm countin my calories, I'm watchin what I eat, I dont ask for much. give me my sedentary gaming

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Croccers posted:

SUPERHOT but on the VIVE.

How incredibly meta that would be :allears:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

CommissarMega posted:

I beat it on a rental and then got the GOTY version off amazon (origin) a year or so ago. Havent re-played it, but it is certainyl decent fun and provides a lot of character abilities that make combat interesting. The story is mostly silly, but serves its purpose well enough.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

MMORPGs usually have storylines and KoA has a MMORPG storyline. It tends to breadcrumb stuff out in much the same way, I think. I'm going to be honest in that I played 15 hours of the game and honestly don't remember much beyond the visuals. Which are nice, but they're MMORPG zones, so you cross thresholds and the world changes completely, which is really jarring.

If you enjoy the combat the game is fine, but it's not going to wow you with its lore or dialogue. If you ever wanted to listen to podcast while half-falling asleep killing spiders and talking to dwarves though, this is THE game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Quest For Glory II posted:

Granted, this is the early growing pains that you would at least expect a little bit, but you still expect there to be one title that like, really sells it. And that title doesn't exist. That to me is a concern.
Third person is the model train situation, its not that much different from the aspect you were interested in in the overlooking a city thing. The head tracking is entirely in service of anchoring you spatially at a view point looking into a neat little area. It translates a little poorly into the outside view when it turns the smallest personal head settling in place into a drunk one eyed camera man on a helicopter in a wind storm.

Based on the launch titles, adoption is going to lean heavily into third person stuff like action adventure and hell we might even see RTSs come back. All the first person "you're there!" stuff looked laughable, and the staff was all the most positive about the third person like-a-train-set stuff.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ryse is already down to 5 dollars, haha

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
A city simulator with the same quality as Cities Skylines, or maybe just that with a fancy new content patch, where your VR avatar has tall-ish buildings coming up to like waist or chest height, would be neat as hell. Especially in like a vive situation where you could physically loom around your city.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could use a bit of recommendation here: I'm looking for a game to play in a window while half watching/half listening to TV shows. Preferring something that can be played on autopilot without devoting brainpower to what's going on, mostly had success with platformers in this regard: Downwell, Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Super Panda Adventure and so on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ROGUE SQUADRON ROGUE SQUADRON ROGUE SQUADRON http://store.steampowered.com/app/455910/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait what? Holy poo poo.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

anilEhilated posted:

Could use a bit of recommendation here: I'm looking for a game to play in a window while half watching/half listening to TV shows. Preferring something that can be played on autopilot without devoting brainpower to what's going on, mostly had success with platformers in this regard: Downwell, Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Super Panda Adventure and so on.

If you're into match threes and the like, Gyromancer and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes were pretty fun podcast games for me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

anilEhilated posted:

Downwell is SO good for listening to podcasts and stuff, it's kind of amazing. It doesn't stop being fun but you can also just completely engross yourself in the podcast without making it hard to do well in the game.

Binding of Isaac is good for that too

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Sweet merciful Christ, I just experienced some weapons-grade nostalgia. :eyepop:

Wonder if they'll get the rest of the rogue games on PC?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

CommissarMega posted:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Those are some visuals that did not age well, wow. For some reason, my memories of that game got like a visual upgrade to GCN graphics in my brain.

Lookit that little baby Mos Eisley spaceport, though :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Wait what? Holy poo poo.

It's been on GOG.com for a while, along with a bunch of the other SW classics like Tie Fighter and X-Wing, in case you missed them.

• Locked thread