Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

canyoneer posted:

This place is not a place of honor.

No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.

Nothing valued is here.
:drat:

OK or a 2" thick slab of Uranium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

devicenull posted:

This was a fun surprise... I turned the water on to the outdoor spigot for the first time, and water began spraying everywhere in the attic.

Apparently, this burst on one of the previous owners, and their solution was just to turn off the supply to the spigot. Home inspector missed it (he didn't even mention the outdoor spigot didn't work).

Pulling out wet fiberglass insulation is even worse then dealing with dry fiberglass.

I got a call from my sister about a month ago, they had the HVAC dude over to check their system. He needed to use the hose out back to spray off something or other, and she told me that every time he turned the spigot on, water was leaking into the basement. My first guess was burst pipe, but she said that as soon as he turned off the spigot, the leak stopped. So then I figured, welp, guess it's something dicked up in the spigot itself, and told her that my dad and I would come over to look at it. There wasn't a shutoff inside for that branch, so I figured we'd get her one of those newfangled frost free spigots and pop that on, problem solved.

Get over to the house, and surprise, she already has a frost free spigot. Problem is, she never disconnected the hose reel from the spigot over the winter. All of the water that was still in the bottom of the reel and hose was still sitting in the spigot, then froze, and blew apart the section of pipe between the valve seat and the spigot itself. The split was on the top of the pipe (and tucked away behind some insulation), which is why she didn't see the problem immediately. Guess that answers the question as to why it was only leaking when you turned it on from the outside.

So, frost free spigots are great, so long as you disconnect the loving hose from them in the winter.

EDIT: Knew I had a pic of it somewhere...

What surprised me is the fact that the garden hose itself was fine, I would figure that if the ice could expand enough to blow out a section of copper, it should have busted the hose as well. She has learned her lesson, she'll be draining the hose and disconnecting it after each use from now on.

Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 28, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Boogeyman posted:

So, frost free spigots are great, so long as you disconnect the loving hose from them in the winter.

I always make a habit of draining the water in my hoses after I close the valve anyway, after seeing a pressurized hose burst open when I was a kid. Probably was a lovely cheap hose, but it made an impression.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I always make a habit of draining the water in my hoses after I close the valve anyway, after seeing a pressurized hose burst open when I was a kid. Probably was a lovely cheap hose, but it made an impression.

I've always done this, too, though not for that reason. Mostly I just think it's fun watching the jet go from city pressure to trickle.

I still disconnect my hoses in the winter and store them in the garage anyway.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
As a kid who performed stupid experiments and broke a couple of garden hoses, you'd be shocked at the amount of abuse a decent one is willing to put up with.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Shady Amish Terror posted:

As a kid who performed stupid experiments and broke a couple of garden hoses, you'd be shocked at the amount of abuse a decent one is willing to put up with.

They'll kink and make life miserable, but they'll never be quite bad enough for you to buy a new one.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Magnus Praeda posted:

I've always done this, too, though not for that reason. Mostly I just think it's fun watching the jet go from city pressure to trickle.

I still disconnect my hoses in the winter and store them in the garage anyway.

Yea, we drain ours and bring it in during the fall. It's not like I am going to need to spend a ton of time watering anything at that point, and it spares the hose the wear from freezing and/or being run over by a snowblower.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Suspect Bucket posted:

They'll kink and make life miserable, but they'll never be quite bad enough for you to buy a new one.

They say the same thing about me

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Funny development over the weekend, got a new water filter for my fridge and was running the 2 gallons through the door and about half way hot water started coming out of the door.

I guess they had a 50/50 shot of tapping the right line.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Boogeyman posted:

What surprised me is the fact that the garden hose itself was fine, I would figure that if the ice could expand enough to blow out a section of copper, it should have busted the hose as well. She has learned her lesson, she'll be draining the hose and disconnecting it after each use from now on.

The pipe material has to stretch by less than 10% to accommodate the expansion of water freezing (assuming a single freeze). This can pretty easily break copper but it's a trivial amount of stretch for most hose materials.

Do those 'mushroom head' anti siphon hose bibs not break pressure and drain like the addon vacuum breakers do?

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Zhentar posted:

The pipe material has to stretch by less than 10% to accommodate the expansion of water freezing (assuming a single freeze). This can pretty easily break copper but it's a trivial amount of stretch for most hose materials.

Do those 'mushroom head' anti siphon hose bibs not break pressure and drain like the addon vacuum breakers do?

Apparently not, because this one had an anti-siphon thingy on the top of the spigot, and it didn't do poo poo to relieve the pressure. And the hose being able to stretch makes sense, I figured that it would have expanded enough to keep the pipe from popping, but once the water starts freezing, it's not going to move out of the copper and into the hose to continue expanding, kind of stuck where it is.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hmm... Something doesn't look quite right

I wonder where it goes?

Electrical tape confirms it's lawnmower bait

I guess it's maybe legit?

This isn't getting enough love, holy poo poo. My only guess is the buried service drop had a break somewhere along its run and this was the temporary "fix." Underground electric service is great until something breaks, then it loving sucks.

Edit: looks like the meter box has a utility issued tamper seal on it so I guess it's legit...

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 28, 2016

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

ColHannibal posted:

Funny development over the weekend, got a new water filter for my fridge and was running the 2 gallons through the door and about half way hot water started coming out of the door.

I guess they had a 50/50 shot of tapping the right line.

I usually see the dishwasher tapped into the hot line so it should be more obvious than a 50/50. I wonder if they mixed up the two lines?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Boogeyman posted:

EDIT: Knew I had a pic of it somewhere...

When I did homeowner's claims (doing commercial now), I got at least three of these each spring. The best ones were the folks that hooked up their sprinkler & let it run for a few hours, while never entering the basement.

It can get pretty deep in three hours.

Zhentar posted:

Most of them were intallation issues: the sillcock has to be installed at a slight downward angle to the outside in order to properly drain; otherwise water can collect at the valve & freeze, as per the photo.

The hose may not freeze because it can handle the expansion better. Kiss your sprayer/nozzle good-bye, though.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 29, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not mine, but looks legit

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

GreenNight posted:

Not mine, but looks legit

Then you turn it 180 when you need to flush

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've seen some setups where the bathtub and sink have a shared faucet that's on a swivel so you can use it for both. Usually in "compact living" places.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

I've seen some setups where the bathtub and sink have a shared faucet that's on a swivel so you can use it for both. Usually in "compact living" places.

Why? This doesn’t actually save space. Are they that desperate to save a buck on plumbing?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
also confused as to why youd bother with a tub if it's only half a human long

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Ambrose Burnside posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_the_Little_People

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

It's also the bucket where you wash your clothes.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Ambrose Burnside posted:

It's relatively wide and deep, so you can sit in it and wash fairly easily. It's also plenty large enough to wash children or animals.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Bathing children and pets.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

If I can't fully lay down on my back and drown myself in my own soapy filth, then I don't want it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Time for pooping!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a terrible setup, you can barely see from the left row.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's a terrible setup, you can barely see from the left row.

I assume there's another toilet on the other side of that wall, so you can put on your 3d glasses and watch the pooping happen in all its stereoscopic goodness.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Collateral Damage posted:

Ooooooh. I got confused and thought you were talking about those combo toilet/sink things.I'm looking at i super confused like, "Why are you climbing over the toilet to get in the shower?

I also really like toilet/sink things.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think the idea of literally washing in a toilet is revolting.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Pissflaps posted:

I think the idea of literally washing in a toilet is revolting.

You're not washing "in a toilet," you're washing with clean water in a sink that's sitting on top of the tank of a toilet and sending the greywater down into said toilet tank to be used for flushing rather than perfectly clean, potable water.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Imagine the confusion when guests mistake that contraption for some kind of stand-up bidet. Imagine the mess and the puddles on the floor and the damp trouser legs. Horrific.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pissflaps posted:

Imagine the confusion when guests mistake that contraption for some kind of stand-up bidet. Imagine the mess and the puddles on the floor and the damp trouser legs. Horrific.

..... you must be the worst houseguest ever.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

You're not washing "in a toilet," you're washing with clean water in a sink that's sitting on top of the tank of a toilet and sending the greywater down into said toilet tank to be used for flushing rather than perfectly clean, potable water.

I like the environmental concept, but it looks like it would be awkward to stand to the side of a toilet and wash your hands. Would rather have a dedicated sink to the side with the drain pipe leading to the toilet tank if at all possible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You mean the top of that toilet isn't the urinal?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Both of those are from Japan.

The sink/shower is a "unit bath" commonly seen in budget hotels and includes a toilet on the other side of the sink (total bathroom approx 4x6 feet.)

The sink/toilet is common everywhere, and is an excellent option when a separate sink uses too much space/money.

This is the toilet room (2.5x5 feet) where we're staying now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A separate sink would use too much space and money, so let's include a urinal?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Anne Whateley posted:

A separate sink would use too much space and money, so let's include a urinal?

i figured it was so you could evacuate both at the same time like a true japanese salaryman.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I can't explain what happened in that bathroom, but in new catalogs, a mini sink set into the wall starts at $400, and a tank-top faucet starts is $50. The tank-top gets a little splashy with kids, but is easy to use for anyone over 3 feet tall.
It's cold water only anyway :shrug:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

peanut posted:

Both of those are from Japan.

The sink/shower is a "unit bath" commonly seen in budget hotels and includes a toilet on the other side of the sink (total bathroom approx 4x6 feet.)

The sink/toilet is common everywhere, and is an excellent option when a separate sink uses too much space/money.

This is the toilet room (2.5x5 feet) where we're staying now.

I admittedly also like the tiny corner sink. You refill your night water glass, brush your teeth and wash your hands/face in the thing, how much real estate do you need when you're trying to maximize your space savings? Never have I thought, "Dang, I wish this bathroom sink was bigger." I am constantly wishing the kitchen sink is bigger though.

Or you know, just put a dish rack in the shower. HEY, TINY HOUSE IDEA HURGHHERGHERL

edit: Well, maybe if it wasn't jammed up next to a urinal, one would feel more comfortable having it anywhere near anything that goes in their mouth.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ugh no this sink is barely enough for washing hands. Possibly because the urinal gets in the way.

The sink/vanity for brushing teeth is in a different room with the washing machine, next to the bath. That little sink is just for rinsing pee hands.

Edit: just keep the toothbrushes and gargle cup on the urinal. Cover the whole wall with mirrors. Medicine can be in a little basket hung on the towel rack

peanut fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 30, 2016