Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Corek posted:

My personal favorite was Holly Hunter gasping and stammering at the pissjar.

Piss ghost!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"And that's some dark piss, too."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sure didn't take em long for the first THAT'S NOT SUPERMAN
Like, ok

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think the Alfred in Metal Gear Solid bit and the bit about purposely not teaching kids about kryptonite or slavery in history class in school had me laughing the hardest.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Sure didn't take em long for the first THAT'S NOT SUPERMAN
Like, ok

The quote is "NOT YO MOMMA'S SUPERMAN". It's obviously a change on the producers' part.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just kind of wish people could just say "I didn't like this interpretation of the character." They're comic book characters not fixed matters of doctrine
I don't know much about comic books but I'm pretty sure these dumb characters get reinterpreted and adapted in a billion different ways and alternative ways over time. It's so nerd inflexible. Like, sorry, but that IS Superman, that IS Batman. If you didn't like that Superman and that Batman that's totally fine. Not like I'm actually shelling out money to see this crappy looking movie myself.
Aren't the old school Batman and Superman comics always up to poo poo that would seem weird related to their typical modern depictions? I always hear about weird classic Batmen and see super dickery.

MY Superman slaps the Jap it's what he does :colbert:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Although i guess that isn't batman...it's...THE GOTHAM BAT
Weird if they really don't say batman throughout the whole movie. Not even "the Bat man"??

Like I guess you could just interpret a person's "that's not (character name)!!!" as "I really didn't like this version of this character" but it always comes off as kinda lame to me

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 29, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't think they ever refer to him as The Dark Knight either, or even The Knight in general.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
They seriously never call him loving Batman?

Like the dude's got nicknames back and forth so sure, mix it up, but what the gently caress are we doing not calling Batman "Batman"?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
MY Superman is so fast and badass that he'd totally X Ray everything and stop all threats and fly 20 people out before anything happened pshew pshew pshew

I guess that sort of thing is what makes him Superman though. He's super, man

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure Morpheus calls him Batman at least once when telling supermanClark to drop it and write the foosball story.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
lol at "those horse screams stayed with me for good...until I met your mother."
What a movie

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think my favorite joke of the episode was big baby Batman.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bango skank posted:

I'm pretty sure Morpheus calls him Batman at least once when telling supermanClark to drop it and write the foosball story.

Yeah he does, it's even in the trailer.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Man how did Lex get his jar of piss on that table?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Gotham Bat? You know, Martha's son?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Corek posted:

The Gotham Bat? You know, Martha's son?

He is part of the Martha sons of America

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The episode kind of made me wanna check the movie out if it didn't sound so exhaustingly long
Just no way I can put that many hours in a movie theater for superheroes

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

He is part of the Martha sons of America

Sons of Martha sounds like some far-right group named after Martha Washington.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Corek posted:

Snyder does love Ayn Rand and Frank Miller....

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The descriptions of the piss jar and MARTHA??? kinda made me want to see the movie, but I barely survived Return of the King and I don't think I can sit nearly 3 hours for what sounds like the most unfun superhero movie ever just for a piss joke.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Corek posted:

They did a Metal Gear Solid joke earlier in the episode so I was kinda disappointed when the Sons Of Martha bit didn't reference the Sons Of Liberty from Metal Gear Solid 2. Although apparently they just played the first one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I just kind of wish people could just say "I didn't like this interpretation of the character." They're comic book characters not fixed matters of doctrine
I don't know much about comic books but I'm pretty sure these dumb characters get reinterpreted and adapted in a billion different ways and alternative ways over time. It's so nerd inflexible. Like, sorry, but that IS Superman, that IS Batman. If you didn't like that Superman and that Batman that's totally fine. Not like I'm actually shelling out money to see this crappy looking movie myself.
Aren't the old school Batman and Superman comics always up to poo poo that would seem weird related to their typical modern depictions? I always hear about weird classic Batmen and see super dickery.

MY Superman slaps the Jap it's what he does :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dictator Superman should of had the Super-pope hat

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Snyder does love Ayn Rand and Frank Miller....
That quote where he clunkily compared himself to Verhoeven after 300 does make me wonder how much he actually believes though
People kind of easily fall into this "oh man what a neck tattooed dude bro" cliche with him in a kind of tiresome way, even WHM did it, like I'm pretty sure the dude is an enormous comic book dork regardless of the fact he likes to lift
Then again, he did say he wanted to adapt The Fountainhead. I hope it's full of slow motion piss jars and burlesque shows and at least one Oscar Isaac song and dance number (anything to post this again)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBVExpGMuB0

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That quote where he clunkily compared himself to Verhoeven after 300 does make me wonder how much he actually believes though
People kind of easily fall into this "oh man what a neck tattooed dude bro" cliche with him in a kind of tiresome way, even WHM did it, like I'm pretty sure the dude is an enormous comic book dork regardless of the fact he likes to lift
Then again, he did say he wanted to adapt The Fountainhead. I hope it's full of slow motion piss jars and burlesque shows and at least one Oscar Isaac song and dance number (anything to post this again)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBVExpGMuB0

He did also say that he saw The Fountainhead as being about the creative process, which at least doesn't make it seem like he was interested in just making a straight adaptation of the book.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They did a Metal Gear Solid joke earlier in the episode so I was kinda disappointed when the Sons Of Martha bit didn't reference the Sons Of Liberty from Metal Gear Solid 2. Although apparently they just played the first one.

They did bring up "Martha Manhunter".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Corek posted:

They did bring up "Martha Manhunter".
Oh god, yeah, I laughed like a moron at that line.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Oh I didn't know your mother's name was Martha, Joker. You can go.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Haven't gotten to the Martha portion of the podcast yet. However, while clearly needing another pass or two on the dialogue, I felt the worst part of that scene was the pretty pointless flashback to the very beginning of the movie. Either save your all but needless depiction of the Waynes' death for this flashback or have it at the beginning. Doing both is just boring and patronizing. Oh poo poo, I forgot Bats watched his parents die in slow mo.

I'm pretty sure they saw Zorro in the theater though.
Also maybe don't use the take that has the Bat sounding somewhat like Brad Pitt asking what's in the box.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Haven't listened to the episode yet, but I saw the spirit of Chris Cabin managed to post his review of the movie to the WHM Tumblr.

Chris Cabin posted:

As bad as movies like X-Men: The Last Stand, Green Lantern, and Spider-Man 3 are…their ultimate goal isn’t to condemn and poo poo on the world of man (and I say “man” because clearly this movie only cares about men), but rather to expand it, to see some little splinter of hope in the world and society at large. I never felt anything like that for a moment of this 150-minute fiasco, which I honestly hope I can get through the rest of my life without seeing again.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SilentChaz posted:

Haven't listened to the episode yet, but I saw the spirit of Chris Cabin managed to post his review of the movie to the WHM Tumblr.
This kind of reminds me of what happened with Fantastic 4 where everyone raced each other to put out self indulgent burn reviews about how this was totally THE WORST EVER in the most creaaaaaative and humorous ways
where in reality that poor movie was just your run of the mill mundanely bad incomplete movie

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

TheFallenEvincar posted:

This kind of reminds me of what happened with Fantastic 4 where everyone raced each other to put out self indulgent burn reviews about how this was totally THE WORST EVER in the most creaaaaaative and humorous ways
where in reality that poor movie was just your run of the mill mundanely bad incomplete movie

Reading that review suggests Cabin understands quite well what Snyder is going for in that movie and he disagrees with it on a profoundly moral level. That's far from Roger Ebert's "North" review levels of hyperbole.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It is funny how many Internet people are jumping on Snyder for the story and writing when he isn't actually, you know, one of the movie's writers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OrthoTrot posted:

Reading that review suggests Cabin understands quite well what Snyder is going for in that movie and he disagrees with it on a profoundly moral level. That's far from Roger Ebert's "North" review levels of hyperbole.

It's a bit much to call it a Misogyny CFHQ. poo poo, Batman doesn't even really Crossfit. He does poo poo you see various fighters do in their training, which probably does have some crossover with Crossfit but it's not like he's throwing medicine balls on a wall and talking to Alfred about how that paleo meal is going.

Also, you know, not noticeably more misogynistic than any other male lead Hollywood movie.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 30, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

It is funny how many Internet people are jumping on Snyder for the story and writing when he isn't actually, you know, one of the movie's writers.

Auteur theory I suppose. Also he's easier to blame because he's a name, unlike *looks it up* Chris Terrio and the man behind Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys.

That's two lovely crossovers that guy's written for now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZjnPvBYlz8

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Amazing. :allears:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

That reminds me that the guys have no Tom Waits impression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm increasingly of the belief that people are right to say that the Internet is killing movie criticism, but not because it's making it more democratic or anything, because it's smothering it in an overwhelming pile of hyperbolic, literally prejudiced wank.