Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nemo posted:

I thought the point was that Wide Whale was a 10, and he had sublet his arching rights to his subordinates? I don't remember anyone mentioning that the lower people on the flow chart were all also level 10.

I think at some point Dr. Mrs. The Monarch mentions that The Blue Morpho has only been killing level 10's. I kind of assumed the same thing as you though, or at least that their levels were higher BECAUSE of those associations with higher ups in the Guild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was rewatching the Gargantua-2 episode, and watching the scene where Dr. Mrs. The Monarch is crying and saying that the Monarch is the only good thing in her life that she knows is true and right (paraphrasing) and knowing what happens in the season after that, I don't know how I'd feel if she ever finds out the truth about the Blue Morpho.

When she caught them in the suits I was sure she knew the truth and was gonna cover for them with the "guys night out" thing while keeping herself out of it for deniability. That she is genuinely in the dark on this was a surprise to me.

And yeah, if she ever found out that the one person she wants to beat to death with a rock is her husband. She might just go through with it.
At the very least divorce, which I'm not 100% sure doesn't involve her killing him anyways.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Harangutan just had an impounded tank and an estranged wife.

But he had some sort of superhuman powers. I mean he hospitalized Sgt. Hatred with ease. Think Tank falls under the same umbrella, I think. Superhuman powers will give someone a higher rank by their nature.

The monarch has no super powers. So he needs an army to be ranked higher.

Also the guild is kissing the NYC villains' collective asses to keep the guild together in general.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also the guild is kissing the NYC villains' collective asses to keep the guild together in general.

Dr. Ms. The Monarch got her rear end kissed. Probably.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I mean, it doesn't really matter - Doc/Jackson just wanted to get some of their crazier ideas out there, and did so.

But if it helps, Think Tank absolutely would be a high-tier villain.

Monarch's explanation of Guild Level is probably fairly simple and broad, so let's do this:

- Think Tank is a professor at a major school, and likely has important connections in addition to amazing intelligence.
- Besides his tank, Think Tank probably has a wide assortment of vehicles and weapons. All sorts of Tanks, if you will.
- Being reasonable and of sound mind obviously gets you somewhere.
- He planned ahead to make sure Dean was safe. The Guild probably loves that he avoids collateral damage.

Even if you don't agree with that, he was able to stymie Brock Samson. That's level loving 10.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Angular Landbury posted:

I was thinking how despite the Monarch's voiceover, the level 10 villains are waaaaaaay skewed, if not in their power sets then in their effectiveness. I had some real problems with the idea that Wes Warhammer and Red Death are the same Guild Level, but I chalked it up to Wes being a level 10 as a result of the Sovereign wanting to get invited to some weird as hell parties.

Red Death was only level 10 because he only works one day a year, otherwise he would level like 20

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Red posted:

I mean, it doesn't really matter - Doc/Jackson just wanted to get some of their crazier ideas out there, and did so.

But if it helps, Think Tank absolutely would be a high-tier villain.

Monarch's explanation of Guild Level is probably fairly simple and broad, so let's do this:

- Think Tank is a professor at a major school, and likely has important connections in addition to amazing intelligence.
- Besides his tank, Think Tank probably has a wide assortment of vehicles and weapons. All sorts of Tanks, if you will.
- Being reasonable and of sound mind obviously gets you somewhere.
- He planned ahead to make sure Dean was safe. The Guild probably loves that he avoids collateral damage.

Even if you don't agree with that, he was able to stymie Brock Samson. That's level loving 10.

Or, look at the huge size of the guys head! It must weight 90 pounds by itself!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Offsides. He'd be crying himself to sleep on his huge pillow if he wasn't dead.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Inkspot posted:

Offsides. He'd be crying himself to sleep on his huge pillow if he wasn't dead.

(Holy poo poo, your avatar.)

He's a rolling version of Phantom Limb. He's high-ranking for a reason.

Plus, he's awesome.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Angular Landbury posted:

I was thinking how despite the Monarch's voiceover, the level 10 villains are waaaaaaay skewed, if not in their power sets then in their effectiveness. I had some real problems with the idea that Wes Warhammer and Red Death are the same Guild Level, but I chalked it up to Wes being a level 10 as a result of the Sovereign wanting to get invited to some weird as hell parties.

I can buy that Wes Warhammer and the Red Death are at the same guild level. Sure they have different styles, but they're both very competent at achieving what they set out to do. Red Death wants to go out one night a year and kill a bunch of people, and he does it. Wes Warhammer wants to make some weird performance art and steal a bunch of stuff, and he does. Also, Wes Warhammer's henchmen all seemed pretty powerful in their own ways. One had boobs that could freeze things, one was an actual manic pixie dream girl, one could grow to an enormous size, one was super good at being bitchy, they're all weird but they can clearly get poo poo done.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I like to believe a major factor for why those villains are level 10 is because they all paid their Guild fees properly and on time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

I like to believe a major factor for why those villains are level 10 is because they all paid their Guild fees properly and on time.

Oh, I don't think that's enough. Hell, that couldn't get St. Cloud into Don Hell's club until after the party was over.

Remember folks, we're only seeing a day or night of these people's lives. What they did on the show is just one thing that they've done in their fictional careers. It's hard telling how they got to where they are, but none of the Level 10s I saw were inherently underpowered or incompetent. Even Harangutan was reasonably formidable, albeit clearly someone who played by the rules. He was no Turnbuckle, I can tell you that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I don't think that's enough. Hell, that couldn't get St. Cloud into Don Hell's club until after the party was over.

Pretty sure teasing St. Cloud and bilking him for more money is an in-joke at the Guild.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He paid them lots of money to join and asked for the lamest arch of all time. They no doubt have a standing policy to poo poo on him at all times.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

He paid them lots of money to join and asked for the lamest arch of all time. They no doubt have a standing policy to poo poo on him at all times.

Right, which suggests that it's unlikely that you can just get to level 10 by paying your dues on time. In fact, St. Cloud explicitly mentions that he's doing this exact thing, and they weren't exactly promoting him to elite status, were they?

Besides, Monarch came right out and explained how one might get to Level 10. There are a variety of factors. Sure, Red Death doesn't have a mobile attack unit big enough to house an army of henchmen, but he's also Red Death, in case you hadn't noticed. Just typing this sentence raised my Vaporization Danger Alert Level to red.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

tarlibone posted:

Right, which suggests that it's unlikely that you can just get to level 10 by paying your dues on time. In fact, St. Cloud explicitly mentions that he's doing this exact thing, and they weren't exactly promoting him to elite status, were they?

Besides, Monarch came right out and explained how one might get to Level 10. There are a variety of factors. Sure, Red Death doesn't have a mobile attack unit big enough to house an army of henchmen, but he's also Red Death, in case you hadn't noticed. Just typing this sentence raised my Vaporization Danger Alert Level to red.

You are so getting vaporized.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Red posted:

Pretty sure teasing St. Cloud and bilking him for more money is an in-joke at the Guild.

Yeah St. Cloud joined the Guild on a lark to mess with Billy and they're making him pay for it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tarlibone posted:

St. Cloud not being able to get into that party had nothing to do with levels. He couldn't get in because he's a douche. They let Brick Frog in and he's almost certainly low level, but he's also a cool guy who knows how to party so who cares?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah I wouldn't overthink the guild level thing, it's probably politics just as much as actual power, which would explain why a guy like Red Death is working under Wide Wale.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Red Death could definitely kill Wide Whale if he wanted to, but he doesn't want to. He's not interested in being anyone's boss or micromanaging a bunch of henchmen. He just wants to kill a bunch of people one night a year, and so he does. It's a pretty sweet gig, in fact I wouldn't say he works for Wide Whale so much as Wide Whale pays Red Death to not murder people the other 364 days of the year.

Red Death is the kind of guy you want to keep happy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why was Red Death in line to arch Rusty anyway? He always kills his arch. Wide wale wouldn't be able to make anymore money if the guy he is leasing out is dead.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Why was Red Death in line to arch Rusty anyway? He always kills his arch. Wide wale wouldn't be able to make anymore money if the guy he is leasing out is dead.

True, but if Wide Wale is really pissed at Monarch, as all signs seem to point to, then the only thing better than using a bureaucratic ranking system and a long line to force the Monarch to watch as everyone else gets to arch his nemesis would be to finally have one of those much more competent villains actually kill him. That denies Monarch his villainous raison d'être, and in many ways is a very sweet form of revenge. It's something pretty cruel you can do right before going all eye-for-an-eye over the murder of your brother.

Or he just wasn't paying much attention.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

He probably stuck Red Death on there as a precaution. Wide Whale has his fingers in a lot of pies, just in case something goes wrong (like when someone starts murdering all of the other villains you have assigned to one of your arches) it's good to have a quick and legal way to send in your number one red skelton man to take care of things. He never actually expected Rusty to take down all of those other villains, but better safe than sorry.

Anyway, does anyone else feel sort of bad for Think Tank? He was really looking forward to a battle of wits, and for a villain he seemed like a pretty decent guy (it was a nice touch to have him make sure Dean would be out of harms way). Also he had a really cool sounding voice, it's a shame they killed him off...it's also a shame they killed off Battle Axe at the same time because she seemed cool too.

I'm sort of hoping against hope that they both somehow survived and team up to form a villainous pair known as "Brain and Brawn".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

it's also a shame they killed off Battle Axe at the same time

They didn't.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

bull3964 posted:

They didn't.

Oh? That's great! I must have missed the part where they showed she was still alive. Or was that revealed in an interview or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh? That's great! I must have missed the part where they showed she was still alive. Or was that revealed in an interview or something?

She was in the scene where 21 was capturing wandering spider.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

bull3964 posted:

She was in the scene where 21 was capturing wandering spider.
Yeah, he walks out of her bar and you see her there with a cast and neck brace (very similar to hatred's - they really wanted to have neck braces in their show).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dracula Factory posted:

Yeah I wouldn't overthink the guild level thing, it's probably politics just as much as actual power, which would explain why a guy like Red Death is working under Wide Wale.

Maybe its like wow where its like yeah you're max level, but your gear is poo poo because you don't raid.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
There is the point where he says 'this is a special one' so maybe this time he did just want to have murder fun time with brock. He does admit to getting the worst of his kill lust out of him. Red Death seems to be half an easy going dude after all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always figured Wide Wale's crew collectively had level 10 because they were part of his organization.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fellbat posted:

There is the point where he says 'this is a special one' so maybe this time he did just want to have murder fun time with brock. He does admit to getting the worst of his kill lust out of him. Red Death seems to be half an easy going dude after all.

Well he's easy going as long as he suppresses his homicidal urges.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wide Wale and Red Death get different things out of the Guild. For WW it's a source of power, whereas for RD it's something that gives him a framework to exercise the unpleasant part of himself separate from his life. They're both Level 10, just with different meanings.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I only ever interpreted Think Tank as telling Dean to vamoose as a "I dont wear a mask surely this student will recognize me" move and absolutely nothing about a sinister dwarf who drives tanks around says "compassionate" to me and I'm very glad he got punked right away, because after the initial reveal and intro, it became apparent that he wouldn't really be happy arching doc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Figuratively or not, he explicitly talks about wearing a terrifying and monstrous mask.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I don't think Red Death was killing his arches once a year, I think he's known for murdering sidekicks, girlfriends, etc. I assume the only arch he murdered was the one he was obsessed with. Think of him in comic book terms, Batman spends all year fighting the Mad Hatter or Scarface with no consequence then the Joker strolls into town, kills some randos, endangers Batman's loved ones, monologues, kills/cripples a sidekick, and disappears.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah St. Cloud joined the Guild on a lark to mess with Billy and they're making him pay for it.

It wasn't really a lark. He wanted to arch Billy and the only way to do it w/o the guild or osi loving him up was to join the guild and do it all "legally"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Machai posted:

It wasn't really a lark. He wanted to arch Billy and the only way to do it w/o the guild or osi loving him up was to join the guild and do it all "legally"
It was just one dollar in pennies. Eat the pennies, Quizboy.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Slamhound posted:

It was just one dollar in pennies. Eat the pennies, Quizboy.

Just eat the pennies. So you poop pennies. Big deal.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's funny to me because eating pennies is actually really bad for you.

don't eat the pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I always thought the pennies bit was a blowjob joke. I heard somewhere that semen tastes like sour pennies? I don't know. But symbollically Billy would have to swallow his pride either way
and all of St Cloud's delicious pennies.