Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
24 hrsand 3,200 config files later I can finally connect to the internet. Doesn't recognize my flash drive after formatting it. I love this operating system. So sleek and modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I use a mac. They just work.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i use ubuntu studio, it comes with a lot of video editing software and synths and stuff and has no hassle. pretty nice

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
i used to use gentoo because im a gay idiot

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

warp os 2 was the pinnacle of modern engineering

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
YOSPOS, bitch

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Can someone explain linux to me, a person who does not understand computers

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
sudo apt-get upgrade

so complicated lol

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It's an alternative to paying for a computer operating system and a big reason why people still pay for computer operating systems.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Linux used to be super complicated when I was a kid. You had to be a rocket scientist to understand this arcane mystery.

*types 'make' and everything automatically upgraded*

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mloc0jh6kV4 HipHop operating system.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

i use windows 10 its good

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wanna get a rig that actually has an entire Linux distro repository on it. That would be p cool. Because if it was UNIX you wouldn't have to put a drat thing on your physical box but it's cool that Linux tricks your computer into thinking its a server.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Your husband has the patience and tolerance of a saint

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know this is a troll post and all, but it's amazing how fast and easy Linux installs are nowadays. It wasn't that bad a decade ago, but today I'd rather do a fresh Linux install over a Windows install. 9 times out of 10 the Linux install is faster and takes less time to update afterward.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
Same. The only time in my last four installs I've ever *had* to edit a config file was to fix an issue with Facebook images loading (the error was on Facebook's side).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Windows 7 just works, I dont have to install it every year and swear at my monitor for 2 days getting it to work again.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Hector Beerlioz posted:

100 years ago some nerds in a laboratory made an operating system that was pretty cool, then like 40 years ago some nerd made his own version of that operating system and today other nerds use it and think its cool because those 100 year old nerds are their idols. Even though said operating system is obsolete.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Titty Puker posted:

Same. The only time in my last four installs I've ever *had* to edit a config file was to fix an issue with Facebook images loading (the error was on Facebook's side).

Yeah, I think that I have to add the word "acer" to the sound setup on my netbook but that's about it in terms of necessary tweaking.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know this is a troll post and all, but it's amazing how fast and easy Linux installs are nowadays. It wasn't that bad a decade ago, but today I'd rather do a fresh Linux install over a Windows install. 9 times out of 10 the Linux install is faster and takes less time to update afterward.

Try installing linux on hardware that wasn't created in 1998.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what do you plan on doing with it op

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It sounds like Linux would be cool but I'd probably have to learn more about computers than pressing the "on" button and aint nobody got time for that

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

what do you plan on doing with it op

Hacking and other cool linux stuff...

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
run it in a virtual machine ya numskull

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
fedora owns though

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I plan on becoming a l33t hax0r.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SweetKarma posted:

Try installing linux on hardware that wasn't created in 1998.

That's about the same vintage as your current trolling schtick, so sounds legit.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

i used to use gentoo because im a gay idiot

Same, except for the using Gentoo part.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I just install it every now in then because I get bored with Windows and forget just how awful it is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It's like OSX but without the lovely GUI made for idiots.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

i run the lowtax operating system

it keeps asking for whiskey??

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Put Linux on my laptop because I just use it for browsing and making GBS threads around with python. Windows 10 wasn't playing nicely with its slow HDD so I threw Ubuntu on it. 90% of the time it is fine and good but I want to die the other 10% because X will poo poo the bed or something.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

With Windows 7 getting older and me being too stubborn to get Windows 10, I might give linux another try. Do they still put you on a list for using linux?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Waltzing Along posted:

It's like OSX but without the lovely GUI made for idiots.

As an idiot, I don't think I would like linux.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hector Beerlioz posted:

As an idiot, I don't think I would like linux.

Well, idiot, you are already pretty much using it already. But instead of typing out a command, you are pushing a button that then types the command for you in the background.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Win7 for lyfe

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's cool that Linux distros are getting finished up and stuff now. Half the fun was fixing all the broken poo poo.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, idiot, you are already pretty much using it already. But instead of typing out a command, you are pushing a button that then types the command for you in the background.

cool thats more time for me to have sex with fat ugly chicks

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Your husband has the patience and tolerance of a saint

He absolutely does! I moved to Missouri with 3 dogs in tow to add to his 1 which I think speaks volumes about his almost-infinite amount of patience.

a real jerk posted:

i run the lowtax operating system

it keeps asking for whiskey??

Afraid you have a knockoff on your hands. Whiskey would kill the lowtax operating system. Try giving it some lovely malt liquor and if it barfs all over a dog, then it's the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009
i use windows xp and have lots of sex on the reg

• Locked thread