Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, I seriously think Waldetoft is the best game composer in the business. It's amazing to me how consistently he turns out really great soundtracks.

Yeah he's great, I think Bjorn Lynne makes some good stuff too (he did the soundtracks to Seven Kingdoms and Siege of Avalon)

Azuren posted:

My only HOI experience is Arsenal of Democracy, which I liked. I love EU4 (eu2/3 were pretty good), couldn't get into CK2 or Vicky, and heard HOI3 was bad. Am I gonna like HOI4?

Probably

The AoD mechanics for supplies were really cool (units taking a small stockpile around with them), HoI4 has gone in the opposite direction though (basically just EU/CK style supply caps, but on a larger level).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How do you deal with fighting china in vicky2 if they partially westernize?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think paradox would ever do a turn based game :(

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Stellaris dev diary on Music & Sound. Didn't see it posted yet. Probably because my eyes started bleeding from the counter chat.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-27-music-sound.916337/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Blood and iron.

Even if they've got infantry you should still have a significant tech advantage, so what you want to do is blockade them, land on their coast, and fight defensive battles where you inflict massive casualties. Of course if your army isn't big enough they can still overwhelm you so don't even try if you're one of the smaller powers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

^ that's the strat they used in real life.

Enjoy posted:

Yeah he's great, I think Bjorn Lynne makes some good stuff too (he did the soundtracks to Seven Kingdoms and Siege of Avalon)

I thought I was the only one who played the first Seven Kingdoms back in the day. Such a classic.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm really liking what I'm seeing in the newest world war wednesday stream as regards the effects of supply on warfare. Basically after the initial quick invasion the fighting in China has basically slowed down to a crawl due to terrible infrastructure affecting the abiltiy of the Japanese units to quickly move forwards outside of the most important coastal cities and such. The Chinese armies are terrrible, just terrible, and seem to not exist for much else than slowing the Japanese down, but this they do as they take longer to take provinces and they drain their organization by fighting them and with the terrible supply they will take a long time to regain it. Daniel even lost 1 or 2 divisions due to them being caught and unable to escape as the Chinese pushed some exhausted troops back or something.

Also, Communist China, despite being real small, seems to be a very hard nut to crack due to the difficult terrain, their defensive bonuses from Mao and the utterly terrible infrastructure.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Russia just went bankrupt and is about to fall to the communists should I go snag something off the far east from them or will the soon-to-be ussr crush me if I do that?
(I'm Japan)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lawman 0 posted:

Russia just went bankrupt and is about to fall to the communists should I go snag something off the far east from them or will the soon-to-be ussr crush me if I do that?
(I'm Japan)

In my experience, countries don't stay communist/fascist for very long. Either they'll have a successful revolution that flips them the other way before the new regime has enough time to build an army that can defend itself, or they'll have a Jacobin revolution and then stay a democracy for the rest of the game.

I'd take the chance, as long as Russia had no allies anyway.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Drone posted:

In my experience, countries don't stay communist/fascist for very long. Either they'll have a successful revolution that flips them the other way before the new regime has enough time to build an army that can defend itself, or they'll have a Jacobin revolution and then stay a democracy for the rest of the game.

I'd take the chance, as long as Russia had no allies anyway.

They just dropped to rank 15.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lawman 0 posted:

(I'm Japan)

I thought this was the eastern european thread for a second and got really excited Putin's government just had some huge surprise bankrupcy announcement. I knew their economy was in the poo poo and their military adventures expensive but I didn't know it was that bad!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Go for it, it could be the trigger that sends them into a counter revolution.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
any war that involves russia in victoria ii is so awful. warscore for occupations instantly drops to zero the moment russia joins in. they're just too big...

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

any war that involves russia in victoria ii is so awful. warscore for occupations instantly drops to zero the moment russia joins in. they're just too big...

Eh, it's not too bad. You just have to use their lovely army tech against them and hold off a wave of 200 cannonfodder mobilized brigades and then they'll be ready to peace out regardless.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

PleasingFungus posted:

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Angry Joe and Stellaris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkcT3NdArFk

Also WWW

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/57565125

Starts 10 minutes in

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Shadow Hitler stirring up more controversy than NATO counters.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqn31TDAIM8

More HOI4 preview

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Depends on if you are looking to just get one thing from them or are looking to get significant gains. The best way to fight China is by making your first war for a small target that you can easily get, and then just hammer them and create as many casualties as you can and then accept peace as soon as you start to look bad soldier/money wise. After that you just have to hit them every time the truce expires for larger and larger gains, which as long as you're starting the war as soon as possible even they will not be able to recover enough to really deal with you. At least that's how I usually try and deal with China when I have a vested interested in them(I.E. as Japan).

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Angry Joe also has a HOI4 preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObVOOG3bFc

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

France gameplay!!!!!!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Listen to this dude.

You have to allow character renaming. This is an essential A+ #1 feature which must make into the game.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

France gameplay!!!!!!

"Gameplay" Its really just a overview of some of the basic game features.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Fintilgin posted:

Listen to this dude.

You have to allow character renaming. This is an essential A+ #1 feature which must make into the game.

Look, I don't know about you, but I clearly remember the Pdox forums freaking out about CK2 babies being renamable because of the ahistorical nature of people naming their kids stupid things, and anything that could generate more tears from that crowd really is an A+ #1 feature.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Look, I don't know about you, but I clearly remember the Pdox forums freaking out about CK2 babies being renamable because of the ahistorical nature of people naming their kids stupid things, and anything that could generate more tears from that crowd really is an A+ #1 feature.

The best thing about this feature in CKII is that the AI will pull names from their ancestors, so you'll wind up with distant relatives generations later with names like Elvis Hapsburg or Fartburger Palaiologos.

EDIT: Sephiroth Umayyad

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

please do not sign my posts.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Watching the Angry Joe HOI4 preview right now. I'm noticing again something that I've seen several times before: why does the game refer to WW2 as the "German-Polish War"? Does that eventually change to just "World War 2" or something like that after it becomes clear that this isn't just a normal regional war or conflicts that aren't related to the world war?

It will be kinda annoying to have the war referred to as the "German-Polish War" in like 1944.

Edit: oh man as pumped as I am for this game, I gotta say that the animated plane movement looks kinda awful. Love the idea, but they don't turn in ways that... like... are physically possible (it seems the models rotate around an axis that is located far outside the physical body of the plane).

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 31, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Listen to this dude.

https://twitter.com/RikardAslund/status/715433010569551872

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

Edit: oh man as pumped as I am for this game, I gotta say that the animated plane movement looks kinda awful. Love the idea, but they don't turn in ways that... like... are physically possible (it seems the models rotate around an axis that is located far outside the physical body of the plane).

with counters there'd be no problems of planes flying like UFOs :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mans posted:

with counters there'd be no problems of planes flying like UFOs :)

Stop.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Is there a counter for a Hitler unit?

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Sol. Luna.

Earth? :confused:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

sckye posted:

Sol. Luna.

"Sun" and "moon" are generic terms for celestial objects already, whereas "earth" isn't.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

sckye posted:

Sol. Luna.

Sol and Luna make sense to change when all of a sudden "the sun" and "the moon" are just one sun and moon out of all the dozens of them in the space empire. No real reason to change Earth's name like that.

Edit: beaten again :doom:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

uXs posted:

Is there a counter for a Hitler unit?

Yeah The Russian Campaign had Hitler/Stalin counters but I'm too lazy to dig up pictures

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Earth should be Terra if you're not playing Human.

there was a image on twitter, I dunno last year? don't remember which dev, but they had found earth as another species but it had been wiped out by nuclear war, if I understood the tweet.

or maybe he blew them up. either way it was devastated.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 31, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hurrah!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Tuskin38 posted:

Earth should be Terra if you're not playing Human.

there was a image on twitter, I dunno last year? don't remember which dev, but they had found earth as another species but it had been wiped out by nuclear war, if I understood the tweet.

or maybe he blew them up. either way it was devastated.

It was after self-inflicted nuclear winter, and none of the planets had their names- Mercury was Sol-I, Venus was Sol-II, Earth was Sol-III, and so on.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

Drone posted:

Watching the Angry Joe HOI4 preview right now. I'm noticing again something that I've seen several times before: why does the game refer to WW2 as the "German-Polish War"? Does that eventually change to just "World War 2" or something like that after it becomes clear that this isn't just a normal regional war or conflicts that aren't related to the world war?

It will be kinda annoying to have the war referred to as the "German-Polish War" in like 1944.

I'd imagine you could make them smaller with a mod, and the German-Polish War is just automatically generated I believe, they have 2 months before release to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

It was after self-inflicted nuclear winter, and none of the planets had their names- Mercury was Sol-I, Venus was Sol-II, Earth was Sol-III, and so on.

Ah I remember now

HOI4 DD

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-50th-development-diary-1st-of-april-2016.917096/

covers non-major focus trees, and a little bit of important news.