Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RFC2324 posted:

This is home lab, I'm starting simple so I know how it goes from the ground up.

I assume the standard in an org is maintain a local repo and deny access to other repos, and pin specific version with puppet for the packages that need to stay static on a specific node, then using something like yum-cron to keep the packages as a whole up to date?

Explicit version requirements in a manifest for applications are one thing. Don't pin nodes, though.

It's better for a complete QE cycle to use something like pulp if you can, and to push updates via ansible or katello or whatever instead of yum-cron, which may update critical packages at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Am I OK copying 64 bit Firefox into /usr/bin? I've got it in a subdirectory of ~/Documents but would like to sudo it somewhere more tidy. Will it poo poo out on me at some point?

Is it general practice to extract custom packages to an elevated permissions directory, since most packages attempt to save their data somewhere in /home?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DeaconBlues posted:

Am I OK copying 64 bit Firefox into /usr/bin? I've got it in a subdirectory of ~/Documents but would like to sudo it somewhere more tidy. Will it poo poo out on me at some point?

Is it general practice to extract custom packages to an elevated permissions directory, since most packages attempt to save their data somewhere in /home?
Firefox expects to be run from its own directory. There's no point making a subdirectory of /usr/bin -- that's kind of nonsensical, honestly -- but feel free to put it in /opt/firefox, /usr/local/firefox or wherever if you want it someplace more "permanent"-feeling than buried in your home directory.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Sorry. That's what I meant, to put it in /usr/bin/firefox64 (or whatever I call it). My post wasn't accurate. I guess the gist of what I'm asking is "if I extract a package into a directory which requires root privileges for writing, do most packages happily run in there without screwing up?".

Edit: Just looked at my /usr/bin and there are no subdirectories in there: I guess it's bad practice to start creating directories in /usr/bin. I'll use /opt since I put bash scripts in there too.

Edit2: Just realized your point about it being nonsensical, mixing binaries with other filetypes in a 'bin' directory. :)

DeaconBlues fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 28, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DeaconBlues posted:

Sorry. That's what I meant, to put it in /usr/bin/firefox64 (or whatever I call it). My post wasn't accurate. I guess the gist of what I'm asking is "if I extract a package into a directory which requires root privileges for writing, do most packages happily run in there without screwing up?".

Edit: Just looked at my /usr/bin and there are no subdirectories in there: I guess it's bad practice to start creating directories in /usr/bin. I'll use /opt since I put bash scripts in there too.

Edit2: Just realized your point about it being nonsensical, mixing binaries with other filetypes in a 'bin' directory. :)
Applications are supposed to run without the user being able to randomly overwrite them. Otherwise, what would the point even be of not running as root all the time?

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Yep. So I assume that any application which is well concieved wouldn't even try to store files in its own installation directory and instead store any generated content somewhere like ~/.config or ~/.cache.

I'm learning, I think. :)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DeaconBlues posted:

Yep. So I assume that any application which is well concieved wouldn't even try to store files in its own installation directory and instead store any generated content somewhere like ~/.config or ~/.cache.

I'm learning, I think. :)

The old school standard is simply ~/.appname (for Firefox, ~/.mozilla if I recall correctly). Bear in mind Linux is a multi-user OS; you wouldn't want one user to be able to change another's settings, after all, so somewhere in the user's home directory is really the only sensible place to put them.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Does Fedora have some kind of dist-upgrade process for upgrading to the next version? (Or maybe it's possible, but not advisable)

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade

I think if you are on 20 or earlier you are out of luck unless the old system (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp) still works to get you onto 21, though someone else might know more about that.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Preupgrade, or yum/dnf distro-sync. Preupgrade is only necessary for big changes (/bin -> /usr/bin, for example)

Fedora support goes for two releases, so you may be SOL if you're still on 20 or older unless you can find a live mirror

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Does Fedora have some kind of dist-upgrade process for upgrading to the next version? (Or maybe it's possible, but not advisable)

I used the dnf system upgrade plugin to go from 22 to 23:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade

It went very smoothly.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Oh ok, no problem then. I wasn't sure if I should wait a bit and go with 24, or use 23 now & upgrade. But if there's an implementation that works, guess I can go with 23.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I've had no problems with 23 and if you're using Gnome desktop you'll be using a newer version, although the differences are minor, so I'd upgrade now and then upgrade again when 24 comes out.

I remember reading that Fedora 24 will be the first major distro to have Wayland switched on as default, so another reason to upgrade to 23 now: you can determine that 23 is stable before the big changeover in 24.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's not like Fedora is just gonna push it back to release 25. This time, it's for real. It's the year of the Linux desktop, after all.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Heh, I admire your sarcasm.

If Wayland happens in 24 it'll be good to see someone taking the helm. I've played with Wayland for about 5 minutes in F23, so having it enabled as default might allow lazy feckers like me to actually use it for realz and identify bugs and glitches. I'd be surprised if there weren't problems but through daily use these should get ironed out much more effectively.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Can Wayland emulate XWarpPointer yet?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
No, but who needs that???

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

DeaconBlues posted:

Heh, I admire your sarcasm.

If Wayland happens in 24 it'll be good to see someone taking the helm. I've played with Wayland for about 5 minutes in F23, so having it enabled as default might allow lazy feckers like me to actually use it for realz and identify bugs and glitches. I'd be surprised if there weren't problems but through daily use these should get ironed out much more effectively.

It is already decided that wayland will not be the default in 24, they are now aiming for 25.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Anyone have experience pairing a Logitech Bluetooth mouse with Linux (specifically CentOS)? I just bought a MX Master and I can't get to pair via Bluetooth. I can turn it on, press the "connect" button to turn it into pairing mode, and then in the gnome utility in CentOS the mouse shows up and I can click on it to begin pairing but it eventually times out or something and goes back to saying "not set up."

gnome-bluetooth (1:3.14.1-1.el7)
gnome-bluetooth-libs (same)
bluez (5.23-4.el7)

Those are the Bluetooth related things I have installed and their version number. I don't know which log files to check to see why it won't pair.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

h0f8fHgRqKdd27bFO31a
ZoVZBfPnXztHByshWmzq
OsuEk5CJ4n6wbj4DXa6M
E24zGAGep6Qv0yT98Sjh
jBecCBHLNOD1pvkv0Urg
c0nhdbcGwGOctihWhseT
e0G5yKAjkSA5S3Yvqup9
Nag49ldTEBlHkn569Gya
ZAy0X6PFU368E0oxb0u5
kUmwGGKfYQtoLRmpA8Iz

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 27, 2023

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Probably easiest to go one hop upstream to whatever they plug into and figure out their IP addresses. Alternatively nmap the local subnet if that's not an option.

If it's a straight image it may or may not have one of either telnet or SSH open - you can confirm by connecting to ports 23 and 22 respectively . Whether SSH allows password logins or not depends on whether anyone locked things down.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Edit: forums crapping out and doubleposting.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Seems like some in here will find this interesting.

Microsoft is adding bash shell via help from Canonical in Windows 10.

somebodyontheverge posted:

"This is not a VM. This is not cross-compiled tools. This is native," he said. "We've partnered with Canonical to offer this great experience, which you'll be able to download right from the Windows Store."

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P488?ocid=player

The video gets to the meat of it around 4:00.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 30, 2016

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Seems like some in here will find this interesting.

Microsoft is adding bash shell via help from Canonical in Windows 10.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P488?ocid=player

The video gets to the meat of it around 4:00.
I wonder if this means we'll be able to run things like supervisord/gunicorn/etc... to host servers on Windows boxes during testing/development. And I sincerely hope Windows-Bash ignores the gently caress out of MAX_PATH, that was the most annoying thing about doing development on Windows.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Aren't they also bringing in native ssh as well?
I think I heard that not long ago servers will be able to be ssh'ed into and bam into a powershell session.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IAmKale posted:

I wonder if this means we'll be able to run things like supervisord/gunicorn/etc... to host servers on Windows boxes during testing/development. And I sincerely hope Windows-Bash ignores the gently caress out of MAX_PATH, that was the most annoying thing about doing development on Windows.

they talk a bit about MySQL in the video and say it doesn't work quite right yet because background tasks like that are still kinda squirrelly...which sounds to me like the stuff you're talking about will work eventually if not right now?

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I wish that Microsoft weren't doing all this. I've only just learned enough Linux to start feeling superior to Windows users and now they're making it the same!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Zero Gravitas posted:

I'm going to apologise in advance for asking some presumably really loving elementary questions.

I've got a couple of system on a board computers that are flashed with an ubuntu image. I've tried booting them up but it looks like they're not recognising my logitech wireless keyboard/mouse dongle so I'm SOL at logging in and actually doing stuff with them.

Is there a way to remote into them across a network if I just connect them through a switch to the spare port on my router? Is there such a program I can get for my W10 pc that will simply discover the SOABs on this jury rigged sub network?

If they have ipv6 enabled, you can just use tcpdump on another host on the network and watch them send NDP packets to the network when their links come up. There's your IP.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

IAmKale posted:

I wonder if this means we'll be able to run things like supervisord/gunicorn/etc... to host servers on Windows boxes during testing/development.

Probably? From an MS employee on another forum: "It's a Linux subsystem that maps calls from Linux to Windows. You run native ELF Linux binaries and subsystem does all the work." So it depends how thoroughly and faithfully they implement all of the syscalls, but at least in theory, it should work eventually. The announcement of Docker on Windows is another interesting development in that area.

Varkk posted:

I think I heard that not long ago servers will be able to be ssh'ed into and bam into a powershell session.

Yeah. It says their goal is a "production quality release" by mid 2016.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Varkk posted:

The current version constantly waits for returns and messes up displaying standard output. There's a module called Posh-SSH that's a little better but it's mostly for batch jobs than to be used as a shell from what I can tell.

RDG is still by far the best way to get into a Windows system imo. Psremoting/wsman still has some serious authentication problems

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My first thought: Does this mean the possibility of a windows version of grep that doesn't suck yards of rear end?

My second thought: Excellent, an excuse not to learn Powershell

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Probably? From an MS employee on another forum: "It's a Linux subsystem that maps calls from Linux to Windows. You run native ELF Linux binaries and subsystem does all the work." So it depends how thoroughly and faithfully they implement all of the syscalls, but at least in theory, it should work eventually. The announcement of Docker on Windows is another interesting development in that area.
Has anyone heard anything yet about whether this is actually a whole new Windows subsystem, or if they just slapped a spit-shine on the Interix subsystem that ran SFU on 2003/2008?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone have a good guide to the various Linux bonding options for Deb/Ubuntu systems?

I've read the kernel bonding documentation here but it's not telling me what I need to know regarding my network, specifically the supported upstream switch configurations.

The balance-rr options is completely useless and mainly for when you have two servers connected directly together and need to aggregate bandwidth, but I want an option that lets me do both receive load balancing and xmit load balancing simultaneously.

That leaves me with using either 802.3ad mode (LACP) or the balance-alb options, however if I use 802.3ad mode I have to limit myself to connecting to a single upstream switch since we have no VPC/MLAG configured on our datacenter network.

I can't find diddly on what the switch topology requirements are if you have a server uplinked to separate physical switches with the balance-alb option.

Any tips?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Vulture Culture posted:

Has anyone heard anything yet about whether this is actually a whole new Windows subsystem, or if they just slapped a spit-shine on the Interix subsystem that ran SFU on 2003/2008?
Interix couldn't run Linux programs, AFAIK. With this new thing you can grab a program compiled for Ubuntu and it'll run on Windows. I'd guess a whole new system since MS didn't really like Interix.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Very interesting news, I guess it still remains to be seen how well this will actually work in the end.

E: Stallman is going to have a heart attack

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 31, 2016

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/Windows, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Windows

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Malloc Voidstar posted:

What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/Windows, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Windows

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/715392181645631489

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Interix couldn't run Linux programs, AFAIK. With this new thing you can grab a program compiled for Ubuntu and it'll run on Windows. I'd guess a whole new system since MS didn't really like Interix.

Well, it could run Linux programs, just not ELF binaries.

Whether this grabs a program "compiled for Ubuntu" (hopefully not) or an ELF binary with some kind of depsolver for the library requirements (deb is ok here) is unknown, but I'm struggling to see the use case other than "no, don't get rid of your Windows servers, we can run Linux stuff, too!" in an age where there's absolutely no need for that, because you can trivially virtualize anything, and Powershell exists for Linux if you really want PS management, but I dunno.

Wicaeed posted:

Does anyone have a good guide to the various Linux bonding options for Deb/Ubuntu systems?

I've read the kernel bonding documentation here but it's not telling me what I need to know regarding my network, specifically the supported upstream switch configurations.

The balance-rr options is completely useless and mainly for when you have two servers connected directly together and need to aggregate bandwidth, but I want an option that lets me do both receive load balancing and xmit load balancing simultaneously.

That leaves me with using either 802.3ad mode (LACP) or the balance-alb options, however if I use 802.3ad mode I have to limit myself to connecting to a single upstream switch since we have no VPC/MLAG configured on our datacenter network.

I can't find diddly on what the switch topology requirements are if you have a server uplinked to separate physical switches with the balance-alb option.

Any tips?
balance-alb only requires being on the same ARP domain, IIRC. No topology requirements or switch requirements other than that. LACP is sometimes nicer (even though bandwidth/aggregation policies need to be set elsewhere), but doesn't sound like it's an option.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

Whether this grabs a program "compiled for Ubuntu" (hopefully not) or an ELF binary with some kind of depsolver for the library requirements (deb is ok here) is unknown, but I'm struggling to see the use case other than "no, don't get rid of your Windows servers, we can run Linux stuff, too!" in an age where there's absolutely no need for that, because you can trivially virtualize anything, and Powershell exists for Linux if you really want PS management, but I dunno.
The use case is winning web developers back from the Mac side of the house, but there might be some really interesting use cases around Docker here too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Very true about docker, if this subsystem includes enough of the kernel abi to use namespacing and cgroups.

I'm not sure about web developers, personally, but maybe. The mindshare will be hard to regain.

I'm wondering if this won't get more uptake from Windows infrastructure teams who are curious about Linux or want just this service or that service but want to stay on Windows, until they're managing two ecosystems on one operating system.