Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Latest update: Part 14 - FINALE

Resident Evil 0 was originally released for the Game Cube in 2002. After being developed for the N64, the game had various technical issues and was rebuilt from scratch for Nintendo's new console. It's in the style of classic, pre-RE4 games, but features a unique mechanic where the player controls two characters, switching between them as needed. The player takes the role of S.T.A.R.S. rookie Rebecca Chambers, who was also featured in the first Resident Evil (and its remake), and newcomer military convict Billy Coen.

Following the success of Resident Evil Remake HD Remaster last year, Capcom went ahead and released a HD Remaster of Resident Evil 0 for PC and consoles on January 19 2016.

Why a blind run?

I didn't own a Game Cube or Wii, but I've played most of the main Resident Evil titles and a bunch of spin-offs. Apparently, Resident Evil 0 is not kindly regarded by the community, so this is your opportunity to watch someone's hopes and dreams shatter real time, just like back in 2002! Or maybe I'll like it? Who knows?

Who's along for the ride?

Hello, I'm a Real Soviet Bear and I'm joined by Geisha Deconstruct. We survived El Shaddai and Wheelman LPs together, so we're well-equipped to handle whatever RE0 throws at us. If you like Resident Evil, we also did an LP of the Jill scenario of REmake, but that was a casual non-SA thread one.

So what does the HD Remake do?

The game has received a technical upgrade in the same style as last year's remake of the Resident Evil 1 Remake. In addition to that, there are some new (DLC) costumes and an unlockable Wesker mode. We'll show off the latter after we've beaten the game. I'd show off the former but I don't want to shell out 10 euros to dress-up a virtual teenager and Rebecca.

Format

We'll be going for chunkier episodes this time around. A lot of the pacing so far seems like a lot of back and forth, so we'll stop each episode at a logical conclusion (usually a save point). We'll be going for one to two episodes per week because of this.

:siren::siren:SPOILER POLICY:siren::siren:

No story or gameplay spoilers, unless it has already happened in the LP. This is a blind run, so if something goes horribly wrong, we'd rather roll with it.

Episode list:
Part 01 - Railroaded
Part 02 - Off the Rails
Part 03 - Crow Shanking
Part 04 - Human VS Centipede
Part 05 - Poison Running Through My Veins
Part 06 - Series of Unfortunate Events
Part 07 - Splitting the Party
Part 08 - Play It Again, Billy
Part 09 - Bats, Hooks and Secret Labs
Part 10 - Bleeding Rum
Part 11 - Time Paradoxes
Part 12 - The Meltdown
Part 13 - Recharged
Part 14 - FINALE

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
(Post reserved)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm curious to see if this is a remake along the lines of RE1 or if they just decided hmm I guess we need more polygons.

e: ex-lieutenant is not how you would refer to someone :negative:

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 22, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm curious to see if this is a remake along the lines of RE1 or if they just decided hmm I guess we need more polygons.
As in whether it's playable now, yeah.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

dscruffy1 posted:

If you mean whether it has remixed/remade content like Resident Evil 1996 VS Resident Evil 2002, then no. The only changes (to my knowledge) are the addition of Wesker Mode and the ability to change costumes right off the bat instead of needing to beat the game and open the dressing room (a la Resident Evil 3 Nemesis). All other changes are technical: upscaled graphics, improved framerate and alternate control scheme to replace tank controls. I saw someone mention on Twitter that some visual effects, like the grenade launcher, have been also improved. And I guess there are achievements now if you're into that sort of thing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Since this was already a GC game (And despite what people think GC was really powerful and ridiculous) There's not much they changed with it outside of what Bear said. The game was already very pretty to begin with. Just slight touches is all that they really did.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 02 - Off the Rails

Our clothes get dirty from all those leeches and undead, so we reckon it's time to change it up.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Update: Part 03 - Crow Shanking

Things are pretty much going downhill in this entire playthrough, and we're not even two hours in...

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Man this game! It's really.... Something. Once you get further you might find something really "special" and not completely annoying.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 04 - Human VS Centipede

Hello, it's one of the worst boss fights in a Resident Evil game. We're fighting a giant centipede.

Our next recording session is tomorrow and I honestly don't even know what additional disappointments to expect beyond this point.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 05 - Poison Running Through My Veins

You know what's fun? Getting perma-poisoned for overthinking puzzles.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

HAHA! Oh man the chess room. You both are trying way too hard for this.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 06 - Series of Unfortunate Events

Monkeys are introduced and we pretty much eat their crap in this episode.

Zain posted:

HAHA! Oh man the chess room. You both are trying way too hard for this.

I should probably change the thread title to "The Overthinkers" because this is the second time we got screwed over by putting too much thought into this game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Ugh! Eliminators... At least I think that's what they're called. They're a more annoying hunter.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
At least part of the INNOCENT VILLAGE thing is dumb edgy nonsense. Military has a thing about following orders and not following unlawful orders, and shooting up a village that you have identified is not your target falls under unlawful orders. My question is given that they were chopped down to only four people after the HARROWING JOURNEY to the village in the first place, how did they make it back out scot free?

This is Resident Evil, so logic doesn't apply.

Also, Bear, I got your message, I've just been traveling so I haven't been able to do anything with it :v:

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Zain posted:

Ugh! Eliminators... At least I think that's what they're called. They're a more annoying hunter.

They generally throw 2 Hunters at you at a time in RE games, and they're big so they can't really surround you in narrow spaces. These monkeys do less damage but since they're smaller and their attacks are faster, they just stunlock you. Or I have ridiculously bad luck with this game.

dscruffy1 posted:

At least part of the INNOCENT VILLAGE thing is dumb edgy nonsense. Military has a thing about following orders and not following unlawful orders, and shooting up a village that you have identified is not your target falls under unlawful orders. My question is given that they were chopped down to only four people after the HARROWING JOURNEY to the village in the first place, how did they make it back out scot free?

This is Resident Evil, so logic doesn't apply.

Well, Billy did end up with 24-persons' worth of rations and resourced in the end :v:

dscruffy1 posted:

Also, Bear, I got your message, I've just been traveling so I haven't been able to do anything with it :v:

I should probably just upgrade to PMs on the forums already... I keep forgetting.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

RealSovietBear posted:

Well, Billy did end up with 24-persons' worth of rations and resourced in the end :v:

Too bad he didn't have the inventory space to carry it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'm already trying to keep track of so many Resi threads right now, but gently caress it; what's one more? :v:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Just managed to find time to watch all of these.

It's amazing how badly one bad assumption early in the game (that the lighter has anything whatsoever to do with the molotovs) messed you up so badly. If you load a save on the train and check Billy's lighter, you will see that it was empty from the beginning of the game. Molotovs can be mixed and used by both characters, and there are no "charges" for the lighter. It's entirely possible to be standing at the candle door with a flaming molotov in hand, unable to light the candle because you didn't get the lighter fluid yet.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 07 - Splitting the Party

Aside from faffing about to get our grenade launcher back, we actually make decent progress in this one.

Gnoman posted:

It's amazing how badly one bad assumption early in the game (that the lighter has anything whatsoever to do with the molotovs) messed you up so badly. If you load a save on the train and check Billy's lighter, you will see that it was empty from the beginning of the game. Molotovs can be mixed and used by both characters, and there are no "charges" for the lighter. It's entirely possible to be standing at the candle door with a flaming molotov in hand, unable to light the candle because you didn't get the lighter fluid yet.

Yeah, I admit it's a combo of me not paying attention at times and the game having some obtuse design decisions. On one hand it's reasonable that I expected you needed a lighter for molotovs. On the other hand, that's obviously giving the game way too much credit.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 08: Play It Again, Billy

We did it. We are out of the Training Facility. We are definitely never coming back to it. The game would never make us do that. ...Right?

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 09: Bats, Hooks and Secret Labs

We start off right away with the worst boss fight in Resident Evil history. And some of the worst backtracking.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

RealSovietBear posted:

Update: Part 09: Bats, Hooks and Secret Labs

We start off right away with the worst boss fight in Resident Evil history. And some of the worst backtracking.

I dunno, I've played Outbreak file 1 and 2. It had some pretty poo poo boss fights. Looks like you just had to wait for the big bat to go on a crash course with destiny before firing.

You might want to run around more with Billy, since he's tankier and does more damage (I think). And otherwise you seem to keep running face-first into boss fights.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

dscruffy1 posted:

I dunno, I've played Outbreak file 1 and 2. It had some pretty poo poo boss fights. Looks like you just had to wait for the big bat to go on a crash course with destiny before firing.

You might want to run around more with Billy, since he's tankier and does more damage (I think). And otherwise you seem to keep running face-first into boss fights.

Probably should have said I only played the numbered + revelations entries. I don't think I've had a more frustrating boss experience among those. My biggest issue with the Bat was the targeting, to be honest. You either target the smaller bats or you target the large bat but it moves away and you're aiming at the empty space the bat once was.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Hey folks, I know this thread is not too active, but just wanted to let people following it know that I've had some IRL complications that I'll need a bit to recover from mentally. I'm hoping I'll be able to edit the remaining episodes next week. We have 3 more recorded and from what I've told, we're really close to finishing the game... So 4-5 episodes left. Thanks for understanding and sorry for the episode delay!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That's more than fair. I'd wager that (as usual) a bunch of folks are lurking and don't really have much to say beyond what you two have already stated in the videos.

Also I wonder if this song is appropriate to the building frustration and disappointment you've been experiencing in the LP. (It's one of the cheeriest breakup songs I've heard.)

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 10 - Bleeding Rum

Despite OBS Studio recording this at the wrong framerate, RL stuff getting in the way and my video editing software crapping itself and refusing to work, here we are. We're back on track.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What the gently caress is up with the molotovs in this game. I can't say I've ever tried throwing them from anything more than an arm's length away but holy loving wow apparently nobody in this game can throw for poo poo. You're lobbing them at Leechman while it's only about 5ft away yet Billy just drops them 2ft from himself. Jesus god almighty.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Throwing molotovs has some insane wind-up animation and it's easy to hit a wall in narrow hallways. Considering leech zombies spawn in narrow corridors for most part, you'll prolly be wasting a third of them hitting geometry...

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

They really are poo poo. I just wound up using the Grenade Launcher on Leechman to save myself all that hassle and risk. Not exactly efficient for ammo when I only had Acid/Explosive rounds (which was most of the time) but hell, at least I wouldn't have to let the fucker get close enough to hug me, resulting in wasted herbs & sprays.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 11 - Time Paradoxes

We go separate ways again, visit some familiar locations, meet some old friends, meet some prototype friends and generally realize that this game makes absolutely no sense as a prequel.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Update: Part 12 - The Meltdown

Happy Easter! This is the episode where we finally reach breaking point and crack. A big thank you to Scumm_Boy for giving us something to mask our genuinely vile arguing over box puzzles.

GD is pretty tied up this week, so new episode will be sometime next week. WE'RE CLOSE TO BEATING THIS drat THING.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I always felt a bit* cheated by this point in RE0; forced character splitting (with temporary inventory loss), pointless throwbacks and recycled locations that make no sense whatsoever, and a loving Tyrant in a room measuring 10x10 metres. I don't care if the game is officially canon with the events in subsequent entries of the series; as far as I'm concerned it's all some weird loving dream Rebecca had on the helicopter after escaping the Arklay facility with Chris, Jill & Barry, which is why the events of RE0 are never mentioned or referenced again by any plot points by any later games. She felt too stupid even mentioning it to anyone. "A man wearing a robe while singing opera in the rain like some sort of idiot anime character? And it turns out he's made of leeches? That's stupid! You're stupid! Go back to sleep Becca, you're high on the contents of your medic bag again."

*By "bit", I mean "overwhelmingly". I was actually enjoying the game somewhat up to this point, and then I get my Shotgun taken away along with a load of ammo (not to mention half the general inventory space with it) which hosed up the gameplay experience, only for Rebecca and Enrico to also suddenly meet in a secret loving lab miles from the Arklay facility or the mountain region which made an already dumb story unbelievably retarded. RETCONS! AAARRRRGGHHH!

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Yeah, the forced character splitting can screw you over immensely if you don't have the right items on each character. I'm surprised I only had it kill me at the centipede fight.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It's almost as bad as Code:Veronica in that sense, especially near the end of that game where anything -- anything -- that Claire is carrying is lost forever.

And oh gently caress I just saw the end of Ep.12. That loving frogman. Wow. That's some absolute bullshit. I once had Rebecca get eaten before I even knew what was happening because she was the dumb AI partner and I was climbing a ladder when it happened, but oh poo poo, I had no idea it was inescapable insta-death.

Magnus Intactus
Oct 12, 2008

Each of you must approach him. If he snarls and growls, he considers you a chump.

Finally, my fanfic reading debut! Many thanks go to Real Soviet Bear for letting me contribute!

(<-- Scumm_Boy's SA account)

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Slowly catching up on episodes (forgot about the month hiatus whoops) and just got to the part in episode 7 where you find a room full of ""broken/disassembled weapons. What utter bull, way to kick a man in the nuts when he's already down.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Slowly catching up on episodes (forgot about the month hiatus whoops) and just got to the part in episode 7 where you find a room full of ""broken/disassembled weapons. What utter bull, way to kick a man in the nuts when he's already down.

What's worse is that they give you one measly bullet for a weapon you don't have.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 13 - Recharged

We try to regain lost progress and run around for quite a while to get a magnetic keycard.

Tuesday is the final episode, so we're almost done with this nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 14 - FINALE

And it's over. Thank you all for enduring this horrible entry with us. Not sure when the next LP will be (although we know what game it is), but hopefully it's less rage-inducing than this.

Now excuse me while I abstain from playing RE games for a year.

• Locked thread