Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism
chrust you muppets are quiet

##voteindinitum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
speaking of muppets...

oh wait I'm already voting Kash

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jimson posted:

An addendum to the rules.

I know before I said after death funny tombstone posts were a suggestion. It is now a rule. Failure to post a funny tombstone will result in me losing all respect for you.

Well poo poo, that'll be a big change.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Venoum Soag posted:

chrust you muppets are quiet

##voteindinitum

Well I'm certainly not going to be selling you any life insurance later 'good' sir

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At last, the brave settlers' crew began moving. Ninth walked alongside the lumbering wagons, easing himself into the steady marching pattern that would be his way of living for the next couple of weeks. He looked ahead to the horses, who tugged their burdens forward with grim determination, and knew he would find similar resolve in himself, along with a new home to settle down in.

He would have liked to enjoy the walk with nothing but the clip-clopping of horse hooves and the trundling of wagon wheels, but endless arguments spread among his companions and echoed among the forest trees, filling the trail with disruptive noise. Ninth could no longer ignore the truth of the rumors of a secret businessman takeover plot — if so many travelers were still bandying it about, it must have some legs. A mob was forming, and votes were being cast. He knew there would be no escaping the slaughter to come.

Ninth's own initial survey of his fellows was worrying. He was forced to admit that he was unfamiliar with several of the caravan, including Infinitum and Flying Leatherman, two players that had accrued early suspicion. Ninth was loath to judge these two settlers, as he had no personal insight into their past experience as pioneers, and did not see himself voting for either of them any time soon.

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Leatherman

Things that I'm usually suspicious of in the early game:

(a) town reads
(b) politeness
(c) taking jokeposts or insignificant details too seriously

And I feel like Leatherman is doing all three here.

"This feels like an easy suspicion for you to pursue," Ninth said. "A lot of these traits could be ascribed to a newer traveler who just wants to fit in. For example, I've seen a lot of fresh faces confuse friendly banter for more serious discussion. I also think they tend to be more polite than your normal abrasive adventurer. Not all of us are as used to the harsh realities of the open road. Couldn't all your points here be explained by Leatherman's inexperience?"

Birdstrike posted:

You don't believe the Miller claim?

When Flying Leatherman had claimed that his being black meant he had no ties to businessmen, Ninth was skeptical. After all, he had met plenty of successful free black businessmen back in New York. There weren't tons of them, but it wasn't inconceivable that one of them had infiltrated their party for some nefarious reason or another. Upon thinking about it, Ninth thought it was suspicious that Birdstrike would bring up a Miller claim as a counter to Murmur Twin's case.

"Do you think a Miller claim invalidates all suspicion on Leatherman? All that claim means is that Leatherman would seem suspicious to a trained sleuth. It seems to me we should not automatically take that to mean he's a legitimate settler. I'm from New York, and believe me, I've seen plenty of black businessmen over there. Heck, I've seen plenty of businessmen pretend to be black.."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

##vote TNL

Ain't no better way to hide scummy postin' than puttin' on a flavour gimmick.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ninth raised his eyebrows. "I'm adding my voice to the conversation. It's not my fault if you don't want to listen to it."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

And when a motherfucker talks about himself in the the third person, it's definitely time for a lynching.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

And when a motherfucker talks about himself in the the third person, it's definitely time for a lynching.

What solid reasoning. Glad to see there wasn't an IQ test to join the wagon...

What if Jimson's put him under flavour posting restrictions?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
why do people assume PRs so much when they almost never happen?

Also birdstrike mentioning the miller claim is a perfectly valid response to MMT's "Case," because he has flavor to go along with it that is fitting with both the setting and the mod's sense of humor.

Murmur Twin posted:

Are you implying that my first case of the game isn't a slam-dunk? Wow dude.

No, I'm implying that the case is bad.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Newbie-ish mafia player here, what's the benefit in full-claiming the miller role early?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Newbie-ish mafia player here, what's the benefit in full-claiming the miller role early?

if you claim it after a cop investigation people are likely to not believe you. Also it saves the cop a wasted investigation. They tend to get lynched before lylo though, just in case.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Current thread theme music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7se5w296Zs

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Infinitum posted:

From reading the wiki I have no idea. I understand what the role does, but not why you'd want to claim it now. I don't see how we get any help from it.

I haven't played with a miller before - can we assume that if a miller is in the game a) there's a cop,and b) the miller is town (since it makes no sense to have a scum one) ? Or am I misunderstanding how it theoretically works?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Kashuno posted:

if you claim it after a cop investigation people are likely to not believe you. Also it saves the cop a wasted investigation. They tend to get lynched before lylo though, just in case.

Ok, that makes some sense.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is it not wiser to lynch the miller to test the claim?

What's the general way of dealing with it?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Is it not wiser to lynch the miller to test the claim?

What's the general way of dealing with it?

It gives town an obvious target to lynch in the future. Say we assume there is 3-4 man scum team in this game; if we lynch 2 scum and it's getting later in the game, we can always lynch the miller to test it at that time. It's not particularly worth the effort early on, because it's not like we will gain any real valuable information off a miller lynch. If they're scum, it's hard to really glean anything off the votes on them because scum will be on the vote knowing it's easy to just say "oh guess he was a real miller oh well :shrug:"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
especially d1

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cheers, wasn't sure how common a role it was and how it's normally dealt with.

Have a gif I made for future use

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
thanks I made good use of it

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Or I will have...:argh:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Kashuno posted:

Or I will have...:argh:

Some idiot bought me an AV hope they know this means they're dead (they're not dead)

JimsonTheBetrayer fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 30, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
worth every penny especially if I get killed

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Kashuno posted:

:swoon:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

why do people assume PRs so much when they almost never happen?

I assume it's just TNL having fun but a PR could explain it just as easily. Either way it doesn't matter much, and I like reading roleplaying and voting TNL based on principle instead of scumhunting is bad.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I agree. I would be willing to vote him on d1 with the possibly scum slip in his RP flavor text tho

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Oh that's true. Did ninth ever respond to that? If so I missed it.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

BottleKnight posted:

Oh that's true. Did ninth ever respond to that? If so I missed it.

yeah, in a short post basically saying it's speculation

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kashuno posted:

:hfive:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flying Leatherman posted:

yeah, in a short post basically saying it's speculation

pretty bad honestly. there's no reason to speculate that instead of like..idk. Natives?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

your avatar... its...

quickened

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

your avatar... its...

quickened

:getin:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Where is everyone

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Where is everyone

I'm in class, but when I get home I'll play more.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I'm in class, but when I get home I'll play more.

PAY ATTENTION TO CLASS

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

if you saw the class I'm in you'd understand

I already completed the assignment that he's been answering questions on for 20 min

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

##unvote kashuno kash is probably town guys.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

what made you change your mind?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

I am going to get a gently caress ton of use out of this av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rip dudes that actually spent money on this dumb forum

• Locked thread