Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Smoking Crow posted:

I just fenced this girl who, without fail, would put her free hand on her stomach whenever my foil got anywhere close to her. I told her to quit and I still beat her, but what should I do to make her stop next time

Refuse to fence her. I don't mean to do your best to avoid fencing her by being busy with a bout. When asked, tell her, "No, because you cover target."

My guess is that she needs more coaching to break her flinchines. This isn't an inherent bad thing, unless it's not being worked on.

dupersaurus posted:

Remember: if a covering causes a touch correctly given to register as off target, you still get the point.

I have never heard of that rule being applied and have only heard guidance of "don't do it." Which, of course, makes sense, this is the only way a ref is allowed to award a touch not registered by the box.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

BirdOfPlay posted:

I have never heard of that rule being applied and have only heard guidance of "don't do it." Which, of course, makes sense, this is the only way a ref is allowed to award a touch not registered by the box.

Yeah I can't see myself calling that without judges or replay.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Tell her (or get the coach to tell her assuming you're not the coach) to hold her off hand higher when fencing. Like hand higher than elbow, as if she's just recovered from a lunge.
For most people, if they do a reflexive flinch from this position, they tend to bring their hand near their chin rather than the stomach (elbow down, hand up, almost like "the thinker". Sorry for my lovely description, might look for a picture later). This almost doesn't cover target.

The best solution is, of course, to learn to not cover, but this might help her avoid some hand injuries in the meantime.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah I can't see myself calling that without judges or replay.
Pinning the covering hand to the target area with your tip seems to be the only way you're ever going to see that call, and that's not ever going to happen with anyone who can move their feet.

If she's flinching a lot, have another student practice lunging at her repeatedly. Being hit with a foil is a pretty benign experience and being repeatedly lunged at might get her used to it.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Smoking Crow posted:

I just fenced this girl who, without fail, would put her free hand on her stomach whenever my foil got anywhere close to her. I told her to quit and I still beat her, but what should I do to make her stop next time

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm not sure what you're saying, neither of them have their off hands on their stomachs?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Smoking Crow posted:

Have someone referee the bout (someone who knows what they're doing). Make sure they nail her with cards repeatedly for it. Even if it's a practice spar. That's the only way some people learn, and better now than in competition.

quote:

I've called it a couple times, usually it's obvious when the hit is on the hand because the offender will have a mark to prove it. And when it's on the arm it can be pretty clear so long as you are standing in the right spot.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 10, 2016

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Whoa just found out this thread exists! I've been fencing for almost 20 years (started at 7), and I've been coaching for some seven or so years. I'm a foil and epée coach (with a FIE coaching diploma because 3rd world :unsmith:) and a FIE referee with a B license in epée. Ask me anything about batshit crazy kids, batshit crazy adults, batshit crazy parents, and batshit crazy fencers/coaches!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Awesome! What's involved in getting FIE qualified? As far as stories go, let's start with the batshit crazy kids. I was helping admin a friendly tournament at the end of last year - nothing serious, mostly a bunch of high school kids, slackers like myself etc. But this one kid went utterly ballistic when the ref made a dodgy call. One point, in a pool match (i.e. not elimination and having sod all bearing on his placement into the DE round), yelling and swearing and the like. Should've got carded big time, but sadly the ref was also young and inexperienced and resumed the match after eventually shutting him up.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Awesome! What's involved in getting FIE qualified?
Lots of politics. I literally refereed every single local, regional, and national tournament for a couple of years. Got vouched by the regional federations and then sent to the exam. I can ref the three weapons, but I only did the epée one. You must know the rulebook by heart and, especially, you HAVE to enforce it no matter what.

quote:

batshit crazy kids
One of the major issues with fencing over here is that it has always been associated with the military/filthy rich, so people are often prejudiced towards it. Everybody knows fencing exists, but not many people know they can actually practice it. This means that we always end up getting the stragglers from other sports (which is both a good thing and a bad thing!). I had this little girl who just didn't fit in the field hockey team, so her mom sent her to fencing as a "last chance" type of deal. Her parents are the smelly hippy with rich as gently caress parents kind of people, so the poor little thing had some serious issues going on. One day I was repairing some foils/wires with a screwdriver set like this one and she told me that they looked like the tools from a serial killer. Then (out of nowhere) she proceeded to tell me how she would kill everyone in there with every single piece of it. :stonk: Apparently her parents let (and encouraged) her to watch Dexter with them or something.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Holy poo poo. I mean, it's pretty hard to hurt someone with a foil but I sure as gently caress don't ever want to fence this person. On the other hand, a few years back I fenced with a guy who was ex-korean navy, and a club at dinner/drinks thing he regaled us with stories of how they apparently get trained to kill anyone with anything. I couldn't really tell how much was bullshit, but one of our female members once asked him for some self-defense tips. He demonstrated how you grab the attacker's wrist, get them into an armlock and trip them to the ground... followed by "and then you stomp on their throat like this and they die". Nice guy, though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yay, my gloves arrived! Now I can do freeplay again! I can't remember if I mentioned this, but I stopped because the loaner gauntlets don't fit me at all, so the plates just... Hang off the glove and don't actually protect at all. But no longer!

I got meself a pair of Neyman Fencing's Thokks, and they're pretty good. They fit me grab a sword properly, they don't get in the way too much, they fit almost right... Except the index finger's two whole centimetres too long, it ridiculous. :v: Luckily that doesn't actually affect my grip at all, because the finger and thumb overlap kind of cleverly.

You can tell they've been designed for single-handed swords, though. The material flexes a bit and the gloves are not really padded at all, so I expect harder bouts with longswords to leave me with some bruises. The wrist is designed pretty cleverly so that it flexes, but the design leaves a narrow gap without any hard plates at all. I can probably (find a person to) fix all of these problems, but I've got a feel I might end up investing in a tougher pair down the road. Still, I've got nothing outright bad to say about these babies yet, so that might be a ways off.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Holy poo poo. I mean, it's pretty hard to hurt someone with a foil but I sure as gently caress don't ever want to fence this person. On the other hand, a few years back I fenced with a guy who was ex-korean navy, and a club at dinner/drinks thing he regaled us with stories of how they apparently get trained to kill anyone with anything. I couldn't really tell how much was bullshit, but one of our female members once asked him for some self-defense tips. He demonstrated how you grab the attacker's wrist, get them into an armlock and trip them to the ground... followed by "and then you stomp on their throat like this and they die". Nice guy, though.

She had potential, but her parents were dumb hippies who thought we should've paid more attention to her during classes (we're talking about ~30 -12 kids with three coaches in two two-hour classes, two times a week). She reached the podium in several local and regional tournaments, so of course her parents though her little killer snowflake was better than the rest of the kids in her group. Anyways, her mom sent me a 300 word text message telling me that her daughter would quit fencing because we're a bunch of lazy fuckers who can't recognize talent. vOv I did my best to bring her back, but when parents go MUH KIDS there's no point in doing so.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In case anybody's interested, Matt Easton posted a headcam recording of a military sabre training session, complete with running commentary. Even as somebody who doesn't actually fence (yet, at least), it was pretty interesting to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEtBCSyrWKU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Just got this bad boy in the mail. A little heavy for my taste but that just means I have to get stronger to use it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Verisimilidude posted:

Just got this bad boy in the mail. A little heavy for my taste but that just means I have to get stronger to use it.

That's quite lovely. Where's it from?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Albion Alexandria I believe

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-alexandria-xviiia.htm

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is rather well done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOP7rWwBpw

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Yup, and it's just as great in person as in those pictures. A bit on the heavy side like I said, but that will just lend itself better to cutting which is what I'll be using it for. I got this one in particular because it's my favorite sword to look at in The Met.

http://metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/23189

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

That's really cool! Fencing would actually be a good spectator sport with visual aides and slowdowns, but alas...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

That's really cool! Fencing would actually be a good spectator sport with visual aides and slowdowns, but alas...

This is pretty loving cool and they should find a way to add these markers/overlays to high level matches. On the other hand, I'd settle for some insightful commentary in the meantime... the podium matches from the latest FIE GP matches on their youtube channel have some halfway decent commentators.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

A friend just sent me this. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's pretty neat to watch.

https://youtu.be/leOP7rWwBpw

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 28, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

10 Beers posted:

A friend just sent me this. I don't know how accurate itnis, but it's pretty neat to watch.

do one for rapier lol

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

10 Beers posted:

A friend just sent me this. I don't know how accurate itnis, but it's pretty neat to watch.

Epeeists were doing things, myth busted

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Makes me think, surely the fie can scrape together enough money to buy some high speed cameras for replays. If the budget's tight then they could offset the cost by firing the guy who thinks it's a good idea to do those extreme close up shots on someone's guard or feet

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

Makes me think, surely the fie can scrape together enough money to buy some high speed cameras for replays. If the budget's tight then they could offset the cost by firing the guy who thinks it's a good idea to do those extreme close up shots on someone's guard or feet

You do know that video replay has been a thing for a while now, right? Every NAC I've worked has had 9 replay strips (2 4-strip pods and the finals strip) and sometimes 13 if there chair events, and the past two Olymipcs have had them as well.

Also, the FIE is loaded. What with the coveted Tissot sponsorship and from official appeals payments.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Maybe it's my eyes but Ota's footage looks smoother than what I'm used to seeing. Or do the refs get a better quality feed than the audience?
They should still fire the dumb camera angle guy, I just watched the Seoul sabre GP semis/finals and I'm sure there was at least one point that I didn't get to see because they were too busy doing a slow-mo replay of someone's feet.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Maybe it's my eyes but Ota's footage looks smoother than what I'm used to seeing. Or do the refs get a better quality feed than the audience?
They should still fire the dumb camera angle guy, I just watched the Seoul sabre GP semis/finals and I'm sure there was at least one point that I didn't get to see because they were too busy doing a slow-mo replay of someone's feet.

They probably do, but the Ota video also gets the benefit of being shot in a professional studio with nice things like planned lighting and video post-processing. Plus I don't think they always have control of the video, iirc they've said before they've used a host's feed before if someone else is shooting it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

https://imgur.com/a/XVnx6
I have too many swords. Not pictured: My feder, single sticks, daggers, and my empty bank account.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 30, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

I have too many swords. Not pictured: My feder, single sticks, daggers, and my empty bank account.

You should give some away!

Also, you should cosplay Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher games.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 30, 2016

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Test cut with the Alexandria on Saturday. Even at factory sharpness (read: not very sharp) it still cuts tatami very well. My teacher was having a good time cutting with it. It's a very forgiving sword. It's also surprisingly nimble and quick for something just shy of 4 pounds. Gave it to someone who has never cut before, and a literal child who has only cut once before. Both did very well.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

Hey, what's the internal depth of that case? I've been on the lookout for one that'll fit a bell guard but they're all either too slim or the price is ridiculous.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Verisimilidude posted:

why so many longswords?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
hasn't discovered the one true art yet: sword and buckler (and daggers)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ordered a feder. :shepspends: Ensifer isn't taking orders until June, so I ordered a Trnava Simple from Regenyei instead, cut down to 125cm. Should arrive by the end of June, if all goes well.

In other news, today I realized I haven't worked with the pell in ages, and that's the reason why my measure and cuts have been so off lately. Remember to do your solo practice, kids!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

hasn't discovered the one true art yet: sword and buckler (and daggers)

shame on you rabhadh, you know what the best weapon is

content: i fenced a chick with a smallsword last week and they look laughable at first glance but the length and shape means that there's much more strong of their blade proportionally than there is on a rapier blade. So she kept pushing me away with leverage. It's also a faster weapon.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 25, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, smallswords are actually sort of really scary. Fencing with those is like having the foppiest back-alley knife fight.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

the foppiest back-alley knife fight.
the_entirety_of_the_17th-19th_centuries.txt

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey, like I said, 17th century laser tag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34jxHlfTwX8&t=935s

So they had what appears to be a HEMA demo at the start of the FIE cadet champs, looks like some cool if very slow stuff. I was thinking it would be more fun to have them actually don proper protective gear (instead of looking like wannabe emo kids) and do something closer to actual sparring, but I guess showing off the moves slowly and clearly is possibly better, especially given their audience is mostly sport fencers who'll dig the technicality of what they're doing.

Plus there are some fun matches in this video, if you want to keep watching.

[edit]Ah, there's some stuff more resembling sparring later on here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34jxHlfTwX8&t=7598s
Uh, the commentators call them "dancers"? (Go back a little bit from that link) I mean, to my untrained eye it looks like they are actually trying to earnestly demo HEMA type stuff, albeit slowly and roughly in time to the music. Are the commentators confused, being jerks, or am I mistaken and it is just weird interpretive dance?
At any rate, that's one bizarre soundtrack for a fencing bout.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

HEMA seems to be a pretty common break activity at international events, in Europe at least. And sometimes it's good.

We were laughing pretty hard at the music selection on the club's facebook page. I may have made a comment about 90s adventure game soundtracks.