Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
My hobby is collecting and making computers but i have yet to mash together a nux box. right now the only two available mobo's I have are a republic of gamers thing and a wade mainbord with an i3, I suspect drivers will be a problem with both.
Edit, And a nice laptop with a c2duo, i'd imagine that would be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

computers went downhill once the mouse and gui was invented

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Driver isn't working? Here's the source code. Just build it yourself. Note: You'll need to have libxrcyz in order for IRQ33 to run. If you've got version 1.0.2.33 broadwell-u gpu you'll need to run xkurgan. If you have any questions just contact me on freenode.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SweetKarma posted:

Driver isn't working? Here's the source code. Just build it yourself. Note: You'll need to have libxrcyz in order for IRQ33 to run. If you've got version 1.0.2.33 broadwell-u gpu you'll need to run xkurgan. If you have any questions just contact me on freenode.

Shut up nerd!

*performs a devastating Indian burn*

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

SweetKarma posted:

Driver isn't working? Here's the source code. Just build it yourself. Note: You'll need to have over 9000 libraries in order for gedit to run. If you've got version 1.0.2.33 broadwell-u gpu you'll need to run xkurgan. If you have any questions just contact me on freenode.

also, gently caress you if you are a vi/vim fanboy.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
http://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

My favorite Linux thing is the driver bullshit you have to deal with every time you want to use a device and how said driver may not even exist.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

The Biscuit posted:

#emacs4lyfe

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I put a raspberry pi in my garage with a relay so I can open my garage door from an app on my phone :) well that's one of my linux stories. Bye!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Linux is pretty good if you want to idiot-proof a computer; my sister's boyfriend would fill her browsing laptop up with malware until I installed Ubuntu on it, now she won't go back

For travel, I bought a cheap acer chromebook, replaced the SSD, installed Ubuntu, and put Windows in Virtualbox for whenever I need office or adobe or itunes. As a daily browsing/downloading/media machine, it's incredibly cost effective. And the fact I can run bash or python scripts from keyboard shortcuts or cron is :krad:

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Linux is pretty good if you want to idiot-proof a computer; my sister's boyfriend would fill her browsing laptop up with malware until I installed Ubuntu on it, now she won't go back

For travel, I bought a cheap acer chromebook, replaced the SSD, installed Ubuntu, and put Windows in Virtualbox for whenever I need office or adobe or itunes. As a daily browsing/downloading/media machine, it's incredibly cost effective. And the fact I can run bash or python scripts from keyboard shortcuts or cron is :krad:

Yeah. Office and a few games are the last bastions for needing windows.

But I guess increased marketshare will tip the threshold for making malware for linux. Then we wont have nice things anymore :smith:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you have an internet connection, there are online version of excel word and pp now so you don't even need windows for office anymore. it's basically only for games

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Linux is really good and I use it every day.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Linux is really good and I use it every day.

Same.

I installed Arch Linux once. It was great until something broke...

Now I'm on Sparky Linux (based on Debian testing) at work and Linux Mint at home.

No, I don't game, I'm an adult. But alot of games on Steam actually work in Linux now...

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Looking forward to running Ubuntu on Windows 10.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

windows 10 is basically linux except worse, may as well just install the real thing and be done with it

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Boinks posted:

No, I don't game, I'm an adult. But alot of games on Steam actually work in Linux now...

:ironicat:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Minimalist Program posted:

I put a raspberry pi in my garage with a relay so I can open my garage door from an app on my phone :) well that's one of my linux stories. Bye!

Just imagine how much money you saved over buying one of those hideously expensive universal remote garage door openers that clips to your keychain.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

notZaar posted:

Just imagine how much money you saved over buying one of those hideously expensive universal remote garage door openers that clips to your keychain.

Roughly 35 United States dollars?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't know why but someone bought that for me.

Well, I know why..but I don't know which post. :)

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
For servers I love linux over windows. I prefer working with config files, over layers of windows, tabs, and check boxes (which are sometimes grayed out, then you have to figure out why it's grayed out).

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Blue Train posted:

windows 10 is basically linux except worse, may as well just install the real thing and be done with it

please don't troll

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

Roughly 35 United States dollars?

Garage door openers don't cost $70.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

warp os 2 was the pinnacle of modern engineering

That's OS/2 Warp, noob.

Linux is great if you don't need genuine ms office interoperability or drivers for hardware. If the entire world used open office then non-tech-workers could forgive it the former.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I installed Kali the other day, now to figure out how to get my vm to go full screen.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

notZaar posted:

Garage door openers don't cost $70.

Internet connected garage door openers are at least $85. $85 - $35 for pi - $10 for power adapter - a couple bucks for the relay and wires and poo poo equals $35, and I promise I'm not just trying to cover up the fact that I answered the wrong question.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
I had kali linux on a raspberry pi. It didn't pan out well

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I do actually have a gen 2 pi that's just collecting dust. I tried to put XBMC on it but it cannot handle HD content, or at least it can't handle my files. What are some cool projects for learning Linux?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Germstore posted:

please don't troll

updates can possibly break the install, virtual desktops, have to use the command line to disable certain things

sounds like a linux to me

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just installed Window XP on a VM for reasons today, it's the first time I'm used WinXP in probably five years, and the first time I've installed in probably 7. Feels good man.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
As a linux admin IRL, I can say with some authority that linux is dumb and shouldn't be used by anyone.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Blue Train posted:

updates can possibly break the install, virtual desktops, have to use the command line to disable certain things

sounds like a linux to me

Hmmm... maybe it is a Linux.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I used a raspberry pi to build an emulation box and it was about the easiest tech project Ive ever tried I also put Linux on an older laptop just because I didn't use it. P weak OP

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I wanna get a rig that actually has an entire Linux distro repository on it. That would be p cool. Because if it was UNIX you wouldn't have to put a drat thing on your physical box but it's cool that Linux tricks your computer into thinking its a server.

explain please; I'm decently well versed in using linux but why would you not need to run programs on a UNIX box? would that all be done at a local server? I'm probably misinterpreting something obvious you said lol

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I use linux everyday on my compputer lap top im a power user

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

The Biscuit posted:

:frogout:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

8 track betamax posted:

I use linux everyday on my compputer lap top im a power user

Yah same. Its got lots of tips and tricks!

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
i've got win 10 on my desktop and chrome opens up pretty good on it so it works. but I also have a macbook so i think i might be gay i dunno though.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

The Biscuit posted:

escape-meta-alt-ctrl gently caress you

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

code:
# touch penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Minimalist Program posted:

that's sick, i've been wanting to set that up for a while but been too lazy to figure out how to make the pi talk to the garage door opener

• Locked thread