Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

So I was in the market for a new mouse since I finally got tired of my G300. It was really too small and the ergonomics were terrible but that's what i get for going cheap. I have about average size hands, 7"X5", so I did tons of research (Most help came from Rocket Jump Ninja on Youtube) and picked between these:

I've had the Deathadder for almost two weeks and it was fine......until it started spazzing out and going off at crucial times during games. I think it was the software because it was update or whatever everytime i'd plug it back in. It hasn't done it in awhile but I see where people have issues with them.

I got the G502 two days ago and I really hated it. Kinda too big, really ugly, unwieldy, and I can't quite rest my hand in a comfortable way, i'd find myself constantly adjusting my hand.

I order the EC2-A off BenQ's site on the 22nd. I've only used it for a couple hours but omg its perfect. The feel, the weight, no software, no dumb lights to worry about, I love it. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Geirskogul posted:

Really wish the MX Master was going to usher in a new era of non-:pcgaming: products.

Same. Same with PC Cases I think there is a market out there for classy looking hardware out there for people who don't want their computers to look like extras from Fast and the Furious movies. Try looking for a case without a window and lights, it is not easy to find something decent anymore. I have a Master and like it alot but I still like my MX Revolution more. I wish Logitech would do some minor hardware upgrades to that (new wireless tech/BT, newer sensor) and rerelease it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Djarum posted:

Same. Same with PC Cases I think there is a market out there for classy looking hardware out there for people who don't want their computers to look like extras from Fast and the Furious movies. Try looking for a case without a window and lights, it is not easy to find something decent anymore. I have a Master and like it alot but I still like my MX Revolution more. I wish Logitech would do some minor hardware upgrades to that (new wireless tech/BT, newer sensor) and rerelease it.

Fractal Design serves this niche for cases pretty well. Functional and classy.

I think the MX Master has the edge over the MX Revo if only because you can charge and use it at the same time. I loved my MX Revo so much (the shape and back-forward buttons were perfection) but I actually prefer the horizontal roller versus the push left-right of the wheel. But if I could buy brand new MX Revos, I would still do it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

A detailed G900 review, including new pics of internals and comparisons: http://www.overclock.net/t/1595865/review-of-logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-wireless-gaming-mouse-by-ino

tl;dr version is that yeah it's as good as it sounds.

It's wireless mode is more responsive than popular wired mice...

God damnit, I might buy one if it's built to last a long time.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mutant Standard posted:

It's wireless mode is more responsive than popular wired mice...

God damnit, I might buy one if it's built to last a long time.

I'd worry most about the button microswitches. I can't tell from the pictures how easy it would be to repair/replace them if they starting dying.

I guess the battery could get worn out over time as well. But you could at least just still use it wired if that happened (and it would weigh a whole lot less).

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kefkafloyd posted:

I think the MX Master has the edge over the MX Revo if only because you can charge and use it at the same time. I loved my MX Revo so much (the shape and back-forward buttons were perfection) but I actually prefer the horizontal roller versus the push left-right of the wheel. But if I could buy brand new MX Revos, I would still do it.

Yeah the back/forward buttons on the Master is what causes me to dislike using it. I like the roller a lot better, but the wheel on the Revo is better in every other aspect. The Revo wheel is far and awhile the best mouse wheel I have ever touched, I have no idea why Logitech has moved away from it. I also miss the actual button that I can use as my third button on the top instead of the manual shift button.

I'd really like play and charge on it as well, although I have never had much issue with battery life with my Revo going on ten years now. I throw it on the charge once every 4 or 5 days and it is good to go.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Goo posted:

Yes I am CPate on OCN, also LogitechG_Chris on reddit and some other places.

I do not know anything about a discount code. Do you have a link?
Thanks. Anything specific about it that drives that? Shape, number of buttons, battery life?
Yeah, sorry. I'm not trying to sound like I'm smarter than I am, I'm just quoting the mechanical engineer who designed it because when I said perpendicular he looked at me and said "...normal".

I really like my G602 as well - replacing a couple of AA batteries every few months is much less hassle than plugging in a charging cable every couple of days. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that I wish the rear of the mouse was a bit fatter and higher to curve into my palm better, and the main thing is that the 6 buttons on the side are too stiff to reliably activate in any scenario where quick reflexes are necessary.

I have to say I like the look of the new G900 though. I'm curious about the internal battery however - what sort of lifespan is it intended to have, since it isn't designed to be user replaceable? Presumably the length of time it can hold a charge would degrade over time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm looking for a mouse to use for work of comparable size to my G600 at home. The way Logitech lists specs are a bit confusing because they seem to change their ordering between mice but they list the G600 as 4.6 x 3.0 x 1.6 inches (length x width x depth). Of these I think the width and depth are the most important measurements because it feels perfect the way it is.

I opened up every Logitech regular/gaming mouse and I think that leaves me with only the G502, MX Master, and Performance Mouse MX. The G602 everyone raves about has no measurements listed. What's the difference between the last two? The only thing I'm finding is one has more buttons than the other. Also, the MX Master says there's a "Bluetooth Smart" option which I take to mean it's a Bluetooth version so is there a reason not to get a Bluetooth mouse? Like I think every single PC I have access to has built in Bluetooth so that would just be one less USB dongle to carry around which doesn't seem like a bad deal honestly.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I haven't checked out any mice in person yet (Leaning to the 502 right now) but I was thinking about games and realised the most intense game I've played recently was GTAV and SWTOR, possibly with some Skyrim. It got me thinking about wireless. I was always against wireless mice for the input lag and accuracy, but given I don't exactly play competitive games seriously any more (Maybe the new UT?) is it worthwhile to consider a wireless mouse? Only having to worry about a cable once a month to charge up would be handy. The other thing is that the MX Master (The main wireless contender) is the same price as the G502 Spectrum. If it's going to suck though then I won't bother.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Djarum posted:

Yeah the back/forward buttons on the Master is what causes me to dislike using it. I like the roller a lot better, but the wheel on the Revo is better in every other aspect. The Revo wheel is far and awhile the best mouse wheel I have ever touched, I have no idea why Logitech has moved away from it. I also miss the actual button that I can use as my third button on the top instead of the manual shift button.

I'd really like play and charge on it as well, although I have never had much issue with battery life with my Revo going on ten years now. I throw it on the charge once every 4 or 5 days and it is good to go.

Are you talking about the button positioned slightly behind the wheel on the Master? I also use that button as an auxiliary click, it's configurable in Options. You don't have to use it as unlock. I've been using it for Exposé on a mac ever since I got it. I never use manual unlock, always auto-clutch. Pressing the wheel also still acts as a true middle click.

Ever since Options added per-application settings back the MX Revo has been sitting in a desk drawer. Unfortunately mine developed problems where the charging cradle just would not charge it correctly and I didn't really have the wherewithal to fix it. The wheel also didn't free-spin correctly anymore after eight years of hard daily usage so it had to be retired.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Does anyone have experience with trackball mice? I'd like to get one I could use with my thumb. Wired preferably.

I figure I should look at Logitech, but are there any other brands to keep in mind?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kefkafloyd posted:

Are you talking about the button positioned slightly behind the wheel on the Master? I also use that button as an auxiliary click, it's configurable in Options. You don't have to use it as unlock. I've been using it for Exposé on a mac ever since I got it. I never use manual unlock, always auto-clutch. Pressing the wheel also still acts as a true middle click.

Ever since Options added per-application settings back the MX Revo has been sitting in a desk drawer. Unfortunately mine developed problems where the charging cradle just would not charge it correctly and I didn't really have the wherewithal to fix it. The wheel also didn't free-spin correctly anymore after eight years of hard daily usage so it had to be retired.

Is it now? I know when I first got it you couldn't configure it in the options. It might get me to start using it a little more then.

As for the Revo issues, first get a Deoxit Pen and use it to clean the contacts on both the mouse and on the cradle. That eliminated every single charging issue I had with it and haven't had a single issue since for about a year now.

The second thing to do is take the mouse apart (it is surprisingly very easy, there is a really good video on YouTube explaining it) and blow out all the crust that has built up in it. I also cleaned my wheel really well and used some Deoxit spray on the switches. After putting it back together and for maybe 20 minutes of work the thing works as good if not better than it did when I got it. I was having some double click issues and the same mouse wheel getting stuck issue but after cleaning it all went away.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Djarum posted:

Is it now? I know when I first got it you couldn't configure it in the options. It might get me to start using it a little more then.

The blue circles are assignable buttons, and they all have the same level of assignability in terms of functions. After the per-app settings patch, I find it to be about equal to the MX Revo in terms of button customization.

Also, I did clean the contacts, but the issue I'm betting is the battery connection (and the fact that the battery is just shot) and I just haven't felt like opening it up since the MX Master has basically succeeded it for me. I should fix it and sell it.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Mogomra posted:

Does anyone have experience with trackball mice? I'd like to get one I could use with my thumb. Wired preferably.

I figure I should look at Logitech, but are there any other brands to keep in mind?

There aren't a lot of trackballs out there. http://www.trackballmouse.org/top-10-trackball-mouse/ has a top 10 (though many may be out of production), and there's a lot of reviews on their website. We have an M570 and it's really very good.

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 29, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kefkafloyd posted:

The blue circles are assignable buttons, and they all have the same level of assignability in terms of functions. After the per-app settings patch, I find it to be about equal to the MX Revo in terms of button customization.

Also, I did clean the contacts, but the issue I'm betting is the battery connection (and the fact that the battery is just shot) and I just haven't felt like opening it up since the MX Master has basically succeeded it for me. I should fix it and sell it.

Good to know. I just messed with it and it is a lot better now. Still can't get used to the forward/back buttons though.

If the battery is shot a replacement is less than :10bux: on EBay and is literally unplug the old one and plug the new one in. It is as easy as it gets.

My Revo is just about perfect now except for the rubber on the thumb rest has rubbed off where my thumb sits. I could get a replacement but who cares really. I wish I could make the dongle smaller though, I haven't figured out a good way to do that and it doesn't seem like anyone has figured out how the Logitech wireless standards work to make a replacement.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mogomra posted:

I'd like to get one I could use with my thumb
gross

If it's a preference thing, fine, but if it's for wrist issues, you should finger your balls instead of thumbing them.

Kensington is the other major brand to look at and their Expert Mouse should be good, Microsoft used to make trackballs but they're hard to find now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ColHannibal posted:

Helps offset the fact no average consumers are buying the MX Master.

I kind of want to though, my friend bought it as a Bluetooth mouse for his Surface and it's super comfortable and tracks on anything really well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one for work this afternoon.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Re: trackball chat, I've been using a CST L-Trac for about six months now and I love it. Really great feel to it, the buttons are huge so you can really easily hit them, and the ball is big so there's plenty of control.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Got the MX Master. Not a big fan of the scroll wheel thing where it spins forever if you spin it really fast. It's kind of neat but I wish there was a way to turn it off. Now I need to figure out what to do with the two thumb buttons. Right now it looks like it's defaulting to back/forward in Firefox but I don't know how useful that is.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Got the MX Master. Not a big fan of the scroll wheel thing where it spins forever if you spin it really fast. It's kind of neat but I wish there was a way to turn it off. Now I need to figure out what to do with the two thumb buttons. Right now it looks like it's defaulting to back/forward in Firefox but I don't know how useful that is.

I set one of my thumb buttons to Win+Tab, fwiw. It's helpful if you switch applications a lot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can turn Smart Shift off entirely in Logitech Options or set a button to lock it manually, but that feature is kind of the mouse's raison d'etre. Download Options and look at the customization options, it will do pretty much whatever you want.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

I kind of want to though, my friend bought it as a Bluetooth mouse for his Surface and it's super comfortable and tracks on anything really well.

It's a good mouse don't get me wrong I want one for work, but the problem is it's aimed at non gamers who you will have a hard time convincing it's better than a $20 wireless mouse.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

duckfarts posted:

gross

If it's a preference thing, fine, but if it's for wrist issues, you should finger your balls instead of thumbing them.

Kensington is the other major brand to look at and their Expert Mouse should be good, Microsoft used to make trackballs but they're hard to find now.

Interesting, I didn't know that. This would be my first trackball. I always wanted to try one, and I figured a thumb one would be the easiest get into.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The Microsoft trackball was the superior one but actual nice and clean/functional ones were $200+ on eBay even four years ago. Logitech made a similarly styled one (optical cordless trackman) that was somewhat recently discontinued, also fairly expensive.
In terms of what's available and being manufactured, all the options are thumb trackballs (no don't) or basically flat ambidextrous ones that you palm/finger. I've honestly never given one a try, but that's mainly because they only have four buttons usually. If that doesn't sound like a problem I'd get one of those.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Some of the nicer ones have a wheel around the ball that works like the scroll wheel.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

zachol posted:

The Microsoft trackball was the superior one but actual nice and clean/functional ones were $200+ on eBay even four years ago. Logitech made a similarly styled one (optical cordless trackman) that was somewhat recently discontinued, also fairly expensive.
In terms of what's available and being manufactured, all the options are thumb trackballs (no don't) or basically flat ambidextrous ones that you palm/finger. I've honestly never given one a try, but that's mainly because they only have four buttons usually. If that doesn't sound like a problem I'd get one of those.
i'm lucky enough to have that one (MS trackball explorer) thanks to my brother buying random deal poo poo a long time ago, and it still works great. the main problem with microsoft hardware back then was that the cable that connects to the mouse/trackball would get hosed up at the point of entry into the device, but you don't really move trackballs around on your desk (A MAJOR BENEFIT OF TRACKBALLS), so it hasn't been a problem.

i had an old kensington expert mouse when they still used rollers and it was loving great, and the current ones have more or less kept the same design except gone optical. the only complaints i remember hearing (about the new ones) was that the scroll ring felt a little gross, but i also heard it was okay recently so maybe they worked that out. that trackball is great and was even suitable for gaming and felt great to jump in the air, do a 180 by slapping the ball, then firing a rocket at some guy chasing me. additionally, you may be able to replace the ball with a pool ball if you want (well, the old one i think)

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Re: trackball chat, I've been using a CST L-Trac for about six months now and I love it. Really great feel to it, the buttons are huge so you can really easily hit them, and the ball is big so there's plenty of control.
this one also looks pretty good, and i saw some pool ball mods for it when googling the product if you give a poo poo about that

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

duckfarts posted:

i'm lucky enough to have that one (MS trackball explorer) thanks to my brother buying random deal poo poo a long time ago, and it still works great. the main problem with microsoft hardware back then was that the cable that connects to the mouse/trackball would get hosed up at the point of entry into the device, but you don't really move trackballs around on your desk (A MAJOR BENEFIT OF TRACKBALLS), so it hasn't been a problem.

i had an old kensington expert mouse when they still used rollers and it was loving great, and the current ones have more or less kept the same design except gone optical. the only complaints i remember hearing (about the new ones) was that the scroll ring felt a little gross, but i also heard it was okay recently so maybe they worked that out. that trackball is great and was even suitable for gaming and felt great to jump in the air, do a 180 by slapping the ball, then firing a rocket at some guy chasing me. additionally, you may be able to replace the ball with a pool ball if you want (well, the old one i think)

this one also looks pretty good, and i saw some pool ball mods for it when googling the product if you give a poo poo about that

The pool ball mods consist of putting a pool ball in where the ball goes. It's the same size.

I'm pretty sure this thing will outlast me. I'm typing on a 20-year-old keyboard, too, so I guess it fits.s

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why is it seemingly impossible to find a cheap mouse with 5+ buttons without a giant always on led where your palm goes?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Why is it seemingly impossible to find a cheap mouse with 5+ buttons without a giant always on led where your palm goes?

How else are people going to know you're a ~gamer~ without an obnoxious LED?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

More people like lights enough to have it make them buy a product than people dislike lights enough to let it stop them from buying a product with good functionality. Also, just tape over it or stop caring. Your palm covers it most of the time it's on anyway, because like you said, it's where your palm goes on the mouse. I routinely forget my G502 has the LED "G" because I look at my monitor, not my mouse, when using my computer, and my hand covers it anyway.

surc fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 31, 2016

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Also it's super easy to permanently turn off the big G on the 502, and it doesn't have a significantly different texture from the rest of the mouse. I'm usually easily irritated by "gamer" looking accessories and LEDs but this thing is pretty inoffensive, and the weird angles seem to actually just be part of making it comfortable to hold (or at least don't interfere with it being comfortable).

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yeah it's pretty standard for the LEDs to have an off setting, so it's not something to worry about too much.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

breaks posted:

Yeah it's pretty standard for the LEDs to have an off setting, so it's not something to worry about too much.

I'm talking the cheapo ones with no added software or anything. I've looked at a lot of ~$20 ones and half the reviews bitch about lights that don't even shut off when you shutdown the box, only when you unplug the mouse.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Maybe you shouldn't look at cheap mic targeted to gamers then? Logi has a bunch of "office"y 5+ button mice with no lights. At least my office is filled with them and most of them are different from each other so idk.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Logitech G100S is usually about $20 and it's fine. It's an older sensor and generally not up to the standards of the good newer gaming mice, but that's why it's $20. Anyway it's a better idea than whatever random off brand piece of poo poo.

I just remembered that it doesn't have side buttons though, my bad, I forgot about that.

breaks fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 31, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Holy poo poo I take it all back. The auto speed scrolling thing is awesome. I'm sitting at home right now and I opened up a long website and just wanted to get to the bottom so I tried to just spin the wheel down and let it do it's thing only to realize my mouse at home doesn't do this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Holy poo poo I take it all back. The auto speed scrolling thing is awesome. I'm sitting at home right now and I opened up a long website and just wanted to get to the bottom so I tried to just spin the wheel down and let it do it's thing only to realize my mouse at home doesn't do this.

Exactly why I wish the gaming mice offered that feature. I got addicted to it on the MX Revolution, it's so nice to have the clicky mode by default but just be able to whip the wheel to get down a long page. I'm probably buying a MX Master for non-gaming use to get that back.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

wolrah posted:

Exactly why I wish the gaming mice offered that feature. I got addicted to it on the MX Revolution, it's so nice to have the clicky mode by default but just be able to whip the wheel to get down a long page. I'm probably buying a MX Master for non-gaming use to get that back.

Its patented by Logitech so probably not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
My g502 has a button that puts the wheel in free spin mode if that's what you want