Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, that's a great idea. Any comment on whether FreeNAS should be the base OS or I should run FreeBSD with the NAS inside a VM? I kind of remember that being A Thing ~5 years ago.

The only thing that concerns me about FreeNAS base is using an older build of NanoBSD instead of just FreeBSD outright, when I'm wanting to eventually have this thing provide print services, VMs, etc. I already have pfSense handling the Internet/firewall stuff but it doesn't stay too far behind the FreeBSD release that it's a big deal.

E: n/m it looks like it's a bad idea.

Hed fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

freenas uses freebsd, but it wants direct access to the drives so afaik it wont work in a bsd jail. It does work under vsphere/kvm if your hardware supports pci passthrough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Incidentally, they've released FreeNAS 9.10 just today (or yesterday, whatever), which moved the existing UI onto FreeBSD 10.3. Means initial support for bhyve. Proper broad support of bhyve stuff via the UI will come with FreeNAS 10 only, tho, with their new UI and that's a couple of months down the road.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am using xpenology (4.3? I think) on an HP Microserver from a few years ago with 4 bays and two half height expansion slots. Is there a particular 10Gb SFP+ card I should put in there to be sure it will work with xpenology?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AlternateAccount posted:

I am using xpenology (4.3? I think) on an HP Microserver from a few years ago with 4 bays and two half height expansion slots. Is there a particular 10Gb SFP+ card I should put in there to be sure it will work with xpenology?

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

You will have better luck here.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

AlternateAccount posted:

I just installed a Mellanox ConnectX-2 card in mine and it was just plug-and-play, no setup required. Although I'm running v5.2 of xpenology so you might need to upgrade to a newer version if yours doesn't work.

You should be able to find them for around $20 on ebay.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

I can't find anything about how to configure the cron aspect of rutorrent...anybody know?

Found it! https://github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki/Plugins#starting-plugins-with-rtorrent

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've got a dell Precision 690 with 4 10K rpm 300GB drives and a perc5i controller.
While spectacularly useful as a server, it's not terribly well set up to store the 5TB of poo poo that I'm hoarding.
I want to turn it into a NAS with 4x 5TB drives in raid 1.

Can anyone recommend me an affordable Raid controller card that can handle 5TB drives? Preferably one that will continue to work for years and isn't a pain in the dick to deal with.
PCI express please.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've got a dell Precision 690 with 4 10K rpm 300GB drives and a perc5i controller.
While spectacularly useful as a server, it's not terribly well set up to store the 5TB of poo poo that I'm hoarding.
I want to turn it into a NAS with 4x 5TB drives in raid 1.

Can anyone recommend me an affordable Raid controller card that can handle 5TB drives? Preferably one that will continue to work for years and isn't a pain in the dick to deal with.
PCI express please.

Wait, what? 4x5tb in RAID1? That sounds a little excessive. Do you really need that kind of uptime?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Skandranon posted:

Wait, what? 4x5tb in RAID1? That sounds a little excessive. Do you really need that kind of uptime?

I want it to be reliable storage in case I drag my feet on replacing a disk...
Also having 4x the read speed on 7200RPM disks is gonna be nice when I stream movies, or have to pull down pictures from my archives. I don't plan on working directly off the NAS so no real need for improved write performance.

I don't see the problem here. :shrug:

If disk prices drop (or y'all can find me a stupid cheap controller) and I can pick up a spare or two to have on hand, then I'll probably raid 10.
I don't see Raid 5 on disks that large as a reasonable option.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you feel you may drag your feet on replacing a disk then use hot spares.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also having 4x the read speed on 7200RPM disks is gonna be nice when I stream movies, or have to pull down pictures from my archives. I don't plan on working directly off the NAS so no real need for improved write performance.

If disk prices drop (or y'all can find me a stupid cheap controller) and I can pick up a spare or two to have on hand, then I'll probably raid 10.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it seems you're over-spending for something that provides little benefit. You'll never see a benefit from the read speed increase since just 1 disk could easily saturate a 1gb link. You'd be fine with 2x5tb if you want to use mirrors, and maybe 1 hot spare if you are super lazy about swapping out disks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What OS are you going to run on the NAS? Good RAID controllers are not cheap, but good HBAs (or just onboard SATA) are quite cheap, and work just as well for home use when combined with ZFS or something similar. The old fears of "OMG SOFTWARE RAID SUCKS" don't really apply when a) your CPU is not a Celeron 300A and b) the RAID is sitting in a NAS Box with its own CPU, not living on the same machine you are using to play Quake II.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Do you expect to drag your feet on replacements for years?

And as pointed out, 4x the read speed is massive overkill for streaming movies. I mean, even assuming that you're running 10Gb networking, and assuming that it's the future and you're storing copies of UHD blu-rays, and you only watch Michael Bay style explosion fests which max out the bitrate for the whole movie, that's still only 16 MB/s per movie. Which is about 1/8th of the speed of the shittiest WD green drive out there.

As for raid 5 on disks that large, it is an issue. Which is why people use raid 6, or raidz2/raidz3, or synology hybrid raid.

And finally, what IOwnCalculus said. Software raid hasn't sucked in a long time, and avoids a lot of the issues (and cost) associated with hardware raid. You simply don't need a separate chip for parity calculations on modern CPUs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Krailor posted:

I just installed a Mellanox ConnectX-2 card in mine and it was just plug-and-play, no setup required. Although I'm running v5.2 of xpenology so you might need to upgrade to a newer version if yours doesn't work.

You should be able to find them for around $20 on ebay.

Excellent, thank you.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there a recommended SATA card for situations when someone just needs to put in a couple more disks than their motherboard has SATA ports?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
General consensus is always IBM M1015 in IT mode.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The M1015 is being gouged constantly on ebay now and I wouldn't go that route without some price comparisons unless you don't care over a matter of $50 or so. You can use cards using the same chipset as the M1015 like the Dell H200 that I got after I somehow fried my M1015, but you have to be careful to get the same chipset used on the M1015 or newer. In some weird cases I've seen the M1115 go for less than the M1015. Older LSI chipsets won't support hard drives larger than 2 TB and can't be upgraded to handle bigger disks.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there anything that's sold ready to go at retail, without requiring a reflash to IT or equivalent?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I didn't know if this would go under the Backup thread or the Mass Storage thread, so I figured I'd ask here first.

So, I record a bunch of my gameplay when I play video games on all of my consoles and PC. It's a thing I started doing a few years ago; to archive me beating a game. I don't record multiple times, just as long as I've got one playthrough. As it stands now, all of my videos are burnt onto Verbatim DVD-R 4.7GB discs. I fill them as far as I can, put them in jewel cases, label them, and store them in these fairly thick, black padded boxes with a silica gel packet thrown in. These boxes are then stored neatly in my closet, nice and dark and dry.

However, I'm starting to amass quite a few discs, and it got me wondering if there was a more efficient/safer way to be doing all this. At first, I thought about moving on to Blu-Rays, just because there's more space per GB, and therefore less discs. But I'm not entirely sure that solves the longevity part. I could store them on a NAS or the cloud as well, but I'm not expecting these things to live through generations (tho that'd be cool). So I'm asking you guys; is there a more time/money efficient way of doing this, or is this a pretty good method, aside from all the discs I'd be amassing?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Touchfuzzy posted:

I didn't know if this would go under the Backup thread or the Mass Storage thread, so I figured I'd ask here first.

So, I record a bunch of my gameplay when I play video games on all of my consoles and PC. It's a thing I started doing a few years ago; to archive me beating a game. I don't record multiple times, just as long as I've got one playthrough. As it stands now, all of my videos are burnt onto Verbatim DVD-R 4.7GB discs. I fill them as far as I can, put them in jewel cases, label them, and store them in these fairly thick, black padded boxes with a silica gel packet thrown in. These boxes are then stored neatly in my closet, nice and dark and dry.

However, I'm starting to amass quite a few discs, and it got me wondering if there was a more efficient/safer way to be doing all this. At first, I thought about moving on to Blu-Rays, just because there's more space per GB, and therefore less discs. But I'm not entirely sure that solves the longevity part. I could store them on a NAS or the cloud as well, but I'm not expecting these things to live through generations (tho that'd be cool). So I'm asking you guys; is there a more time/money efficient way of doing this, or is this a pretty good method, aside from all the discs I'd be amassing?

I used to do the same thing with downloaded content, and the main problem was it became a chore to a) burn the discs and b) actually retrieve the data when I wanted to view it again. You also have a decent chance the DVDs will rot or otherwise become unreadable over time. If you want to streamline the process, I would look at storing them on a NAS of some kind. This will save you a lot of time and space, and done properly should lead to less chance of data loss/corruption. A pair of 4tb drives is pretty cheap now, and would hold 850 DVDs worth of stuff. Actually, you'd even get more space efficiency, since you won't be losing a bit of free space at the end of each disc, so probably closer to 1000 of your DVDs. And you could look back at it without feeling like some weird hoarder rummaging around in boxes.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 30, 2016

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Is this build major overkill for a first-time NAS owner? I've been looking into building one for months and this looks ideal for me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Is there anything that's sold ready to go at retail, without requiring a reflash to IT or equivalent?

The whole "IT mode" thing is not really a hack - and it's not really that hard to do either. Otherwise, you could just search for "host bus adapter" which is all you're turning any of the M1015/etc controllers into, like this one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keenan posted:

Is this build major overkill for a first-time NAS owner? I've been looking into building one for months and this looks ideal for me.

What's your use case? If you're just using the NAS to store files and maybe run Plex/Kodi/some other media server off it, then yeah, it's overkill.

If you're thinking of running VMs (like he is) and need a serious number of drives in RAID arrays, then it could be worth it.

He freely admits his build is more expensive than his gaming rig which is serious money to throw into something without first clarifying your objectives for it.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Skandranon posted:

I used to do the same thing with downloaded content, and the main problem was it became a chore to a) burn the discs and b) actually retrieve the data when I wanted to view it again. You also have a decent chance the DVDs will rot or otherwise become unreadable over time. If you want to streamline the process, I would look at storing them on a NAS of some kind. This will save you a lot of time and space, and done properly should lead to less chance of data loss/corruption. A pair of 4tb drives is pretty cheap now, and would hold 850 DVDs worth of stuff. Actually, you'd even get more space efficiency, since you won't be losing a bit of free space at the end of each disc, so probably closer to 1000 of your DVDs. And you could look back at it without feeling like some weird hoarder rummaging around in boxes.

Hey, I'm all for not being a closet hoarder and marking boxes. I'll take a peek around these pages or so, but would you suggest building your own or buying a prebuilt one? I can build a computer no problem, so building one of these shouldn't be an issue.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Thwomp posted:

What's your use case? If you're just using the NAS to store files and maybe run Plex/Kodi/some other media server off it, then yeah, it's overkill.

If you're thinking of running VMs (like he is) and need a serious number of drives in RAID arrays, then it could be worth it.

He freely admits his build is more expensive than his gaming rig which is serious money to throw into something without first clarifying your objectives for it.

My main purpose for it would be a file dump. Music, game stuff, etc. Plex is a possibility, definitely not VMs.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Touchfuzzy posted:

Hey, I'm all for not being a closet hoarder and marking boxes. I'll take a peek around these pages or so, but would you suggest building your own or buying a prebuilt one? I can build a computer no problem, so building one of these shouldn't be an issue.

If you can build your own, I would suggest it. You'll have more options to upgrade over time and get better cost savings. I've been using the same cases for my servers for close to 7 years now. I would start small, make a simple Windows box (or Linux if that's your thing) that does a simple software RAID-1 over 2 large drives (2-5tb, get what your budget allows). As you get more comfortable with the concept, you can look at other options, like Unraid, Snapraid, or ZFS, as your needs grow.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keenan posted:

My main purpose for it would be a file dump. Music, game stuff, etc. Plex is a possibility, definitely not VMs.

You'd definitely be easily served by a consumer unit from Synology or QNAP. But if you're committed to building your own...

Skandranon posted:

If you can build your own, I would suggest it. You'll have more options to upgrade over time and get better cost savings. I've been using the same cases for my servers for close to 7 years now. I would start small, make a simple Windows box (or Linux if that's your thing) that does a simple software RAID-1 over 2 large drives (2-5tb, get what your budget allows). As you get more comfortable with the concept, you can look at other options ... as your needs grow.

is all great advice.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Thwomp posted:

You'd definitely be easily served by a consumer unit from Synology or QNAP. But if you're committed to building your own...

is all great advice.

Awesome. That's what I needed to hear. Thanks guys!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I'll concur on building your own if either your time is not ultra expensive (the point where you're not looking into it at all and it's obvious, that is) or you're the type that may want to do things with the NAS or related hardware over time other than just dump crap onto it like a local ghetto cloud storage system. Another possibility would be if you're storing so much crap that it's completely ridiculous in costs to try to trim down your data usage or that cloud storage from AWS, Google, etc. is prohibitively expensive (I could build my NAS setup 5x / yr from scratch for the price I'd have to pay GCE on the lowest availability storage they offer). I've bought different NAS boxes over the past decade or so and I've just never been happy enough with each of them to stick to an appliance model and have done best in cost and time with the nerdy approach of building my own out of old parts initially (accepting the drawbacks since I was poor) and eventually moving to server grade parts in the past several years because my work got more important and I had the money to do things semi-professionally-ish.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Commander Keenan posted:

Others have answered too, but yeah, it's pretty overkill. Specifically - there's no way you need SSDs for cache if you're using it as dumb file dump. The case looks really nice from the outside, but appears to be a nightmare to actually work in, and good luck finding a 1u power supply which doesn't sound like a jet engine. The server grade mobo and ECC ram are great, but even there you can get cheaper stuff. That's a lot of money to pay for a three year old atom processor.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Commander Keenan posted:

Awesome. That's what I needed to hear. Thanks guys!

Try to figure out what your actual space & redundancy requirements will be before dropping $2k. If you only need 3-5tb, RAID1 is perfectly adequate and so much simpler to set up and take care of. You also don't need a huge amount of RAM for that, even 2gb should be plenty if running Windows and less if Linux.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I think this is the thread for it. What media server would I use b of I just want to transcode my files and serve them? I don't want the whole "media library" thing most media servers force on you.

Plex seems like it would do it but I'd need to pay to get it on my Android phone and it fundamentally doesn't like or understand being behind a reverse proxy. I've got my own domain so it seems silly to route all my connections through Plex's servers. Also given how unreliable media servers can be in hesitant to give money to them, especially when my setup shouldn't require the services the subscription would actually pay for.

Emby seems to hold organizing media by directories in complete and utter contempt and wants nothing more than to kill the feature entirely. There's no longer an option to organize by folder and even if I force it it still won't work properly and it will "helpfully" identify all my episodes as season 1920 episode 1080. Plus when starting up a video file with subtitles it can take 5+ minutes of thumb twiddling, with seeking causing a similar delay. It doesn't work properly over HTTPS for whatever reason, whether it's behind a reverse proxy or not.

There other media servers I tried didn't seem to do transcoding.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm still trying to figure out a way to use my i3 3220 for a home NAS. I'll use the horsepower for Emby transcoding.

The problem is finding a decent mobo. Most of them are out of stock. I have no problem getting a m1015 and some SAS to SATA convertors.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I don't think the i3 3220 was useful for virtualization (I think the Haswell i3 CPUs are where they added VT-x) but LGA 1155 motherboards are not really any cheaper than when they were in production. CPUs may tank hard in price over time but I've found that motherboards don't follow the same curve. I had to replace my Intel LGA 1155 motherboard last year (although, it may be useful to someone that has the skills to de-solder the BIOS chips off of these and has access to the right soldering gun to do the job...) and the replacement Supermicro board cost maybe $30 less than when I saw it was still in production. So at a point, it really isn't worth it to use something so old. Now, if you're looking for bang-for-buck when it comes to crunching through a bunch of video encoding, for example, LGA 2011 E5-2670 CPUs are surprisingly cheap at < $70 oftentimes for 8 cores. The motherboards aren't much cheaper, but their performance is not that far off from a Skylake equivalent Xeon CPU and all for 1/3 or less of the total price. Compute density / power efficiency only matters much to large Internet businesses with limited physical and power capacity resources for their environments, not such a big deal for a home situation unless your power costs are something ludicrous like $.25 / kWh.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

necrobobsledder posted:

I don't think the i3 3220 was useful for virtualization (I think the Haswell i3 CPUs are where they added VT-x) but LGA 1155 motherboards are not really any cheaper than when they were in production. CPUs may tank hard in price over time but I've found that motherboards don't follow the same curve. I had to replace my Intel LGA 1155 motherboard last year (although, it may be useful to someone that has the skills to de-solder the BIOS chips off of these and has access to the right soldering gun to do the job...) and the replacement Supermicro board cost maybe $30 less than when I saw it was still in production. So at a point, it really isn't worth it to use something so old. Now, if you're looking for bang-for-buck when it comes to crunching through a bunch of video encoding, for example, LGA 2011 E5-2670 CPUs are surprisingly cheap at < $70 oftentimes for 8 cores. The motherboards aren't much cheaper, but their performance is not that far off from a Skylake equivalent Xeon CPU and all for 1/3 or less of the total price. Compute density / power efficiency only matters much to large Internet businesses with limited physical and power capacity resources for their environments, not such a big deal for a home situation unless your power costs are something ludicrous like $.25 / kWh.

But I already have the CPU and I don't see any mITX LGA2011 boards on Supermicro.

I'm pretty sure for 2 transcoding streams, torrents, and storage, I'll be just fine with my i3.

Thanks for the post though, I had no idea they were so cheap.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Mini ITX for original LGA2011 will be impossible to find because nobody made anything that form factor for that chipset because E5 chips are pretty much used by folks using dual sockets at least and ATX+ is the usual with microATX being the oddball form factor. I was looking for one for years after Sandy Bridge came out but never found one by the time Haswell came out.

It's pretty crazy to think of even server parts that are doing very well in service after more than 5 years, but if you're looking at smaller form factor you'll probably want to just move up to at least Haswell era CPUs honestly because the motherboards to support these, as you've found, are the bigger issue than the CPUs themselves.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

The whole "IT mode" thing is not really a hack - and it's not really that hard to do either. Otherwise, you could just search for "host bus adapter" which is all you're turning any of the M1015/etc controllers into, like this one.

Unless it's a Dell Perc H310, and the only machine you have that can flash it is UEFI. In which case, it's a 2-day cursing affair of upgrading and downgrading firmware and flashing all sorts of crap.

But it works perfectly now.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm still trying to figure out a way to use my i3 3220 for a home NAS. I'll use the horsepower for Emby transcoding.

The problem is finding a decent mobo. Most of them are out of stock. I have no problem getting a m1015 and some SAS to SATA convertors.

You can drop that i3-3220 into an HP Gen8 Microserver as a decent upgrade from the stock CPU. It's one of the quirky i3/i5 models that supports ECC RAM when paired with the specific chipset in the Gen8. I've been trawling ebay for a 3220 or 3240 for the past couple months, but slim pickings here in Oz, especially since all the other Gen8 owners seem to have the same idea. I think the Gen8 was so popular here because it's been on sale for ~$270 quite a few times, which is insanely cheap for this kind of setup in Australia.

The stock G1610T is totally fine for a NAS, but now that I'm running VirtualBox under XPenology, it would be nice to have a bit more CPU to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Seagate 3TB NAS drives http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-22178392-S0A $89.99 with code ESCEHHF22 through 11:59 PDT tonight.