Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

lol King Lou in the rap thread hey man I will listen to these things thanks for reading the internet and recording raps retroactively

Ha. I hope you enjoy them. The oldest tape I found was from '85. I used to be a super ridiculous b-boy in high school. Terrible breakdancing, windbreaker suit, white gloves & everything. Like, I said, I'm old.

Now back to reading the internet. (next episode is about people who say the N word but not in a rap song way!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
decided on a whim to buy a ticket to see Pusha T live tonight. how is he in concert?

Antequek
May 30, 2014
Pusha T is decent, doesn't skip bars so he's fine but there's something missing. Don't know if it's his type of fans or if he needs to do something to elevate his show beyond just decent.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I saw Clipse together a few years ago and the show was decent but they did like 40 minutes and then just dipped and everyone was disappointed.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Wezlar posted:

I saw Clipse together a few years ago and the show was decent but they did like 40 minutes and then just dipped and everyone was disappointed.

Maybe I'm getting old (I'm getting old) but I really appreciate it when sets don't drag on. I saw Vince Staples last month and he did a tight maybe 40-45 minutes and then got the hell off stage, no encore. Dude appreciates my time and the fact that I gotta get up in the morning.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

acksplode posted:

Maybe I'm getting old (I'm getting old) but I really appreciate it when sets don't drag on. I saw Vince Staples last month and he did a tight maybe 40-45 minutes and then got the hell off stage, no encore. Dude appreciates my time and the fact that I gotta get up in the morning.

I don't see much live music at all. I've seen Bruce Springsteen probably 6 times and he puts on 3 1/2 hour shows.. which I know would be insane and boring for most rap artists to even do 2 hours but whenever I've seen a 40 minute set I feel somewhat empty and like it went by way too fast

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Ghostface and Raekwon probably put on the best show I've seen in recent memory. Pretty sure they went for an entire hour, possibly a little longer and they didn't wait until like 1 AM to go on stage. Fans weren't super douchey either which I thought might be an issue (you know, "real hiphop" guy).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

goldblums eyes posted:

I don't see much live music at all. I've seen Bruce Springsteen probably 6 times and he puts on 3 1/2 hour shows.. which I know would be insane and boring for most rap artists to even do 2 hours but whenever I've seen a 40 minute set I feel somewhat empty and like it went by way too fast

Yeah if you play 40 minutes and I paid more than $10 to see you, I did not get my money's worth. There are venues it takes that long to get to!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i live in nyc and like a lot of indie stuff which is a cheat code for live music

buncha $12 shows that take ten minutes to walk to and you kinda want everything to last 40 minutes so you can get up and outta there. also we have enough good local bands that even rando venue-booked openers can be pretty good

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

i live in nyc and like a lot of indie stuff which is a cheat code for live music

buncha $12 shows that take ten minutes to walk to and you kinda want everything to last 40 minutes so you can get up and outta there. also we have enough good local bands that even rando venue-booked openers can be pretty good

I meant more high-profile acts that charge $30-$50 dollars doing 40 minute sets. I've been to a bunch of shows but I was talking about actual Big Concert Rap Shows that cost money to see.

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
That Trust the Shooter mixtape is absolute flames. I haven't heard Royce rap like this in a long time. Big fan.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Mustafa posted:

That Trust the Shooter mixtape is absolute flames. I haven't heard Royce rap like this in a long time. Big fan.

^this

That Banjo song with Styles thooooooooo

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

meechy darko keeps getting better, goddamn.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
The Life of Pablo has been completely updated apparently:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/4cnbx0/the_life_of_pablo_has_been_updated_again/

quote:

Quick note: every song has been updated. This is most likely the final mix down.

Patch Notes 1.2:

ULB: The choir is mixed better. Everyone's vocals except Chance have a lot more reverb. New Chance line "No one can judge"

FSMH1: Background vocals at the end of Kanye's verse and a little on the hook. The snare isn't as loud as the original release. Beat is a lot more clear.

FSMH2: Way more full. gently caress. Everything is a lot more prevalent. This is such a good mix.

Famous: Swizz's adlibs on the bam bam outro aren't as loud and they echo more.

Feedback: It's shorter. Kanye's vocals are more balanced with the beat now. The bass is also a lot more mixed. Beat is a lot more different in general.

Low Lights: Reverb and echos? I don't see that much of a difference.

Highlights: Vocal's now sit behind the beat. Thugs vocals are a lot more clear and less harsh.

freestyle 4 was changed at 0:45 (and each time this pops up) and at 1:38 there's a new sound. - r/jewishbrick

I love Kanye: Noticably louder?

Waves: Kanye's first verse is rerecorded. Lots more echos. The snare doesn't make you deaf anymore! Thank you Kanye.

FML: Vocal's are more mixed. They sit on top of the beat now. Background vocals added.

Real Friends: No change

Wolves: No change (Let's hope he removes those off-beat drums in 1.3)

Frank's track: No change

30 Hours: The shout out/adlib outro isn't in time with the beat like it is in the original. I don't know how no one on Kanye's team noticed. He added the pause from the soundcloud version for the Victoria's Secret line.

NMPILA: Transition to Facts is smooth. Not as jarring as it was before.

Facts: Piano line from MSG is back but is barely noticiable. Synths are a lot louder.

Fade: Way more minimal. The bass line is back too. More like the Yeezys SZN 2 performance. Doesn't have all the cool sounds from the previous album version and the transitions aren't as clean as before IMO. It actually ends with an outro instead of cutting off abruptly though.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The new vocals in FSMH are really good

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hahaha this is the worst thing

We should give Kanye adderall, instead of subscribing to tidal

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol at the amount of people including me who are never gonna hear this new version

there's some bullshit rumours it's gonna be out on spotify/apple music tomorrow but like... april 1 and all that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

so loving future posted:

Hahaha this is the worst thing

We should give Kanye adderall, instead of subscribing to tidal

Why? He's legit made just about everything better(besides that one line in Famous, though it technically makes more sense now). Also Tidal users are a way smaller subset of people to have tested this out with than when he finally puts it on ITunes/Spotify/Google Music

I'm 100% cool with it. It'd be cooler if on Tidal or somewhere you had access to listen to all the versions to see the iterative process.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol at the amount of people including me who are never gonna hear this new version

there's some bullshit rumours it's gonna be out on spotify/apple music tomorrow but like... april 1 and all that

He's put I Love Kanye and Famous out as singles on most of the streaming services so I wouldn't doubt it.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It's a decent album with some good at some bad changes and some great songs and some super mediocre songs.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kanye thinks he's in the video game industry. No this poo poo isn't cool if the thing wasn't ready why release it?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Who gives a poo poo it's music, if you wanna listen to it listen to it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RBX posted:

Kanye thinks he's in the video game industry. No this poo poo isn't cool if the thing wasn't ready why release it?

Because why not. People don't generally pay for albums anymore really. It's all streaming subscriptions and poo poo anyway.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

People stopped paying for albums 10 years ago second i'm not about to keep updated on my loving music like its a steam game. That's really stupid. Just because you like an artist doesn't mean you have to bend over and accept every dumb thing they do.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

RBX posted:

People stopped paying for albums 10 years ago second i'm not about to keep updated on my loving music like its a steam game. That's really stupid. Just because you like an artist doesn't mean you have to bend over and accept every dumb thing they do.

Yeah. Kanye is loving with his album cause there's no one around to say 'maybe just don't instead', not because he's making the final tweaks that take it from a great album to a classic or whatever.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just because he's released a differently mastered and slightly changed version doesn't invalidate any enjoyment you received/receive from the "original". Like everyone's always talked about how dude's a perfectionist with his music, and how for a lot of his albums he's always tinkered with them and whatever. It's not like the first version was the mix he played at his fashion show so it's bad or anything.

Honestly I think it's kinda cool how he's gone about this. It's one thing to hear about how someone is obsessive about their music and how much tinkering they do, it's another to actually get to watch it happen as it goes along.

And besides, remasters and deluxe editions/versions with different tracks have been being released for forever anyways.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edit: ^^^^

Also yeah it's pretty cool to see an artist go through the iterative process of changing an album and tinkering to get the sound they want.

RBX posted:

Meh, This could have been loving Iggy Azalea and I wouldn't give a poo poo.

You don't have to keep updated on it, If you are streaming it then great you automatically get the new version, if you downloaded it then you have the version you downloaded if you like it great, if you don't then you have the option to get the new version if you want to or you can just not like the song and not listen to it.

If you torrented and downloaded it illegally I give even less fucks, boo hoo I have to spend time and effort(like 5 seconds) to update a song I am literally paying nothing for. And even then no one is forcing you to do so.

Kanye has also done this poo poo before. I believe both Cruel Summer, and Yeezus have different version between the Album release and the Itunes release.

If you don't like the music that's cool and great you are entitled to your opinion, I infact completely understand not liking the album, but If you didn't like it there really aren't any changes that are going to change what you think about the songs on it.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 31, 2016

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm talking about this as a whole not just for Kanye. But I could be overreacting but you never know, I just don't want it to be a trend. I don't use iTunes or any streaming stuff because I have data caps (:v:) and I work about 60 hours a week. So it would be a pain in the rear end to keep up with.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

RBX posted:

I'm talking about this as a whole not just for Kanye. But I could be overreacting but you never know, I just don't want it to be a trend. I don't use iTunes or any streaming stuff because I have data caps (:v:) and I work about 60 hours a week. So it would be a pain in the rear end to keep up with.

I doubt it becomes a trend as most artists are less likely to give a date for an album release when they also have to do a show for a dumb fashion thing, constantly flying to and from europe.

Kanye probably over extended himself.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Yeah I don't get the complaints about this

So he decided to polish up some work that he's really invested and proud about, good for him

If I don't hear it right now I can still listen to the old version, otherwise I'll hear it eventually. I really like tlop so I'll check out the new version either way

It's not like he's withholding anything, you can enjoy any version of it if you want, and there's no one making you check out the new one

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I also do not think other rap artists have the kind of clout Kanye has. I doubt most labels would let their artists do this kind of thing, even after seeing how it worked out for Kanye, but Kanye is Kanye.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
if the album had a physical release this would be bullshit because there would be people out there who blew $20 and got a "bad" version of the album. but kanye has clearly stated that tlop is a digital-only thing, so it's cool to push the boundaries of what artists can do in that circumstance

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

no it isnt this is stupid. this isnt "pushing boundaries" its capricious and weak and tiresome.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

40 lbs to freedom posted:

no it isnt this is stupid. this isnt "pushing boundaries" its capricious and weak and tiresome.

Is this your first foray into Kanye West? His entire persona is capricious......

Are people really honestly surprised at what he's done with this album? This is the most Kanye kind of way to release an album I'm just shocked he didn't do it sooner.

But like Dexo said before, why do people care so much? If you have the original version of the album (which you probably torrented anyway) then keep that version! The new version does a lot of interesting things, some good some bad and some very ugly but Kanye is at least very concerned about the work he puts out, which is more than I can say for most artists we have today.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm finally listening to it on really good headphones and some changes are not trivial. It really sounds considerably better.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The funny thing is Kanye with his loud mouth rear end isn't even really saying poo poo about it, this is just people noticing the differences as he finalizes the album for what will be probable widespread release.

3peat
May 6, 2010

heads up ya'll you can get 3 months of free tidal trial if you download Formation from here http://beyonce.tidal.com/

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
heads up, tidal sucks

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I like it a lot actually, though I haven't gotten into the playlist features yet. Probably not going to cancel Spotify for it tho

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

I like it a lot actually, though I haven't gotten into the playlist features yet. Probably not going to cancel Spotify for it tho

Yeah, I usually use Google Music, and Tidal has actually been fairly solid for me. Not gonna switch as I have too much of my library on Google, but it doesn't really suck. Just a late entry that probably isn't needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
https://soundcloud.com/sparkmastertape/tenkkeys-produced-by-paper-platoon

Extended version of Tenkkeys, extra poo poo at the end.