Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Spime Wrangler posted:

When I get the chance I like to play a game called "ask an outdoorsy medical professional about their first aid kit." It's usually all but nonexistant.

Best answer so far was "medical tape and lots of amphetamines, for when poo poo really hits the fan."

That's funny, because all the wilderness first responders and EMT's I know are the ones that carry the most stuff with them :shrug:

The incident report form came from taking a wilderness first aid course in college, and beyond a description of what happened (which could be important for liability reasons later on), includes tracking vital signs (pulse, respiration, blood pressure, temperature, AVPU altertness), assessment of the situation and anticipated problems, and, most importantly, what if anything you've done to treat the situation. Say, someone gave the injured party something they're allergic to, or otherwise aggrevated the situation by trying to help and causing further trauma, that sort of thing. It's amazing what critically important details get lost over the course of time it takes to get rescued. Or maybe the injured party is still conscious and might have some important tidbit or medical condition you'd want to note for first responders. Monitoring alertness and whatnot can especially help detect stuff like hypothermia too.

I did forget to add a whistle to the list, but I'd imagine most people have that on their person or pack anyways. Alcohol wipes are great for cleaning debris out of a wound. Honestly Imodium probably isn't all that necessary since giardia and whatnot take a good long while to incubate, but a few tabs weigh nothing.

Honestly, the thing I've used most is liquid bandaid for small (and large cuts), so they don't get infected and whatnot. That and tweezers/nail clippers. Tick key has been pretty handy on occasion too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Do tick keys really work? Last summer I just put a blob of hand sanitizer on them and that seemed to make them detach in a hurry.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

We had a kid go over the bars up here last fall on his mountain bike and break his neck at C1 and C2. As it happens he was in our ski patrol OEC class at the time and was luckily (eventually) conscious enough to tell the other (untrained) kids with him to take spinal stabilization until first responders arrived some time later, which is probably the only thing that saved his life.

Having the training is definitely a good idea, and the reality is that a lot of the time all its good for is not making things worse until the real professionals show up. Which is hopefully all you need.

bongwizzard posted:

Well, not riding a bike is pretty good advice if you enjoy the current arrangement of your teeth.

I actually prefer the look of my new titanium and porcelain front incisor. Would have been cheaper to keep the old one though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Vicodin and Bacardi 151 are my goto health kit

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Pepto/charcoal tabs are really useful if your stomach is upset for any reason and they're insanely small/light.

I've had the poops while backpacking. Believe me ... racing your body to dig a cat hole isn't a very fun game to play.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's funny, because all the wilderness first responders and EMT's I know are the ones that carry the most stuff with them :shrug:

The incident report form came from taking a wilderness first aid course in college, and beyond a description of what happened (which could be important for liability reasons later on), includes tracking vital signs (pulse, respiration, blood pressure, temperature, AVPU altertness), assessment of the situation and anticipated problems, and, most importantly, what if anything you've done to treat the situation. Say, someone gave the injured party something they're allergic to, or otherwise aggrevated the situation by trying to help and causing further trauma, that sort of thing. It's amazing what critically important details get lost over the course of time it takes to get rescued. Or maybe the injured party is still conscious and might have some important tidbit or medical condition you'd want to note for first responders. Monitoring alertness and whatnot can especially help detect stuff like hypothermia too.

I did forget to add a whistle to the list, but I'd imagine most people have that on their person or pack anyways. Alcohol wipes are great for cleaning debris out of a wound. Honestly Imodium probably isn't all that necessary since giardia and whatnot take a good long while to incubate, but a few tabs weigh nothing.

Honestly, the thing I've used most is liquid bandaid for small (and large cuts), so they don't get infected and whatnot. That and tweezers/nail clippers. Tick key has been pretty handy on occasion too.

So I've been a ski patroller for 20 years, and I hand off hosed up people to paramedics or doctors all the time. I can tell you the vast majority of the time, even if you tell them all the poo poo you've seen / signs / symptoms / avpu / opqrst / sample / blah blah blah, they just re-ask all that crap again. There is very very little you can do outside of an ambulance or a hospital that saves someone's life. If you're close to a defibrillator and perform high quality CPR on someone who has gone into cardiac arrest OR if they are choking are probably the two instances that you can actually saves someone's life. Here is a stupid saying the paramedics like to use, the best way to save someone's life is high flow o2 and high flow diesel.

Killing yourself via trauma is pretty hard to do, especially when you aren't in a car/airplane/motorcycle/etc. The times I've seen people die from trauma, there wasn't poo poo anyone could do about it, even if they had been 5 minutes from the operating room.

I would encourage you to go ahead use alcohol to clean out a cut next time you have one, I bet your opinion will change. It hurts like a motherfucker and is not recommended for that use by the medical profession anymore, and hasn't been for years.

Suboptimal: I'm too lazy to look up the statistics, but I can guarantee the number of transmissions that happen from blood -> hands contact is incredibly rare. You should not let a little bit of blood stop you from helping someone who is injured. Just don't rub your eyeballs with the blood and wash your hands once you're done and you'll be fine.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The day I stop hurting myself is the day I'm buried 6 feet under so first aid kits are my friend.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I mean, yeah. 99% of WFA is monitor vitals, prevent poo poo from getting worse, and arrange for evacuation. Probably the most important thing in your first aid kid is some kind of emergency beacon or satellite phone to transmit your location with. Going all "trust me I'm a wuffa" is stupid, but it shouldn't be discounted either. You've got one job, do it and don't hand wring about how you're not a real doctor/paramedic/backcountry ambulance or whatever.

Personally, I'll be happy if the worst I deal with is scrapes, constipation (because coddled college students are really bad about making GBS threads in the woods), and the odd case of indigestion. What I'm trying to say is that you exist to be a level head, not a surgeon.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Massdrop has Darn Tough micro crew cushion socks, 2 pairs for $30 shipped.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/darn-tough-hiking-socks

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

bongwizzard posted:

Do tick keys really work? Last summer I just put a blob of hand sanitizer on them and that seemed to make them detach in a hurry.

IANAD, but you're not supposed to do this. The tick gets doped up by the alcohol in the hand sanitizer and subsequently dumps its stomach contents back into the bite, including the parasite that supposedly causes whatever that thing you get from tick bites is called.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

So I've been a ski patroller for 20 years, and I hand off hosed up people to paramedics or doctors all the time. I can tell you the vast majority of the time, even if you tell them all the poo poo you've seen / signs / symptoms / avpu / opqrst / sample / blah blah blah, they just re-ask all that crap again. There is very very little you can do outside of an ambulance or a hospital that saves someone's life. If you're close to a defibrillator and perform high quality CPR on someone who has gone into cardiac arrest OR if they are choking are probably the two instances that you can actually saves someone's life. Here is a stupid saying the paramedics like to use, the best way to save someone's life is high flow o2 and high flow diesel.

Killing yourself via trauma is pretty hard to do, especially when you aren't in a car/airplane/motorcycle/etc. The times I've seen people die from trauma, there wasn't poo poo anyone could do about it, even if they had been 5 minutes from the operating room.

I would encourage you to go ahead use alcohol to clean out a cut next time you have one, I bet your opinion will change. It hurts like a motherfucker and is not recommended for that use by the medical profession anymore, and hasn't been for years.

Suboptimal: I'm too lazy to look up the statistics, but I can guarantee the number of transmissions that happen from blood -> hands contact is incredibly rare. You should not let a little bit of blood stop you from helping someone who is injured. Just don't rub your eyeballs with the blood and wash your hands once you're done and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, no, I completely agree with you, there isn't so much you can do to save someone outside getting help in such a scenario, and probably 99% off all serious issues outdoors are stuff like dehydration and hypothermia, and to a lesser extent sprains or broken bones. But, it doesn't hurt to bring a few extra things along with you and know what to do to help stabilize whatever the situation is until help can be reached. You're also probably right about blood transmission stuff too, but hey, a glove or two doesn't weigh hardly anything. I've used alcohol wipes to clean out rocks and dirt out of some pretty nasty rashes and scrapes after going down a hill, and I'm glad I had them. Same with liquid bandage, hurts like a motherfucker, but it definitely feels better afterwards.

I didn't think anything listed was too crazy, just some bandages and basic stuff. I really only asked in the first place to get ideas for other stuff people typically bring, fill in any gaps and whatnot since it's been years since I've paid much attention to my first aid pouch.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
One area that I won't criticize anyone for over packing (within reason) is the first aid kit. I would rather carry a few extra ounces worth of stuff that, when it's needed, is really important and useful than say a second ka-bar knife or some other bullshit.

Most of my kit is for cuts, scrapes, pain, blisters, upset stomach and typical trail wear and tear. I also keep a needle and thread plus a floss wheel (way stronger than thread) just in case.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I'm looking into some kind of action camera for filming my hikes. The cheap GoPros seem to get savage negative reviews (poor image quality, a tendency to brick, etc.), and the better models are outrageously expensive. Is there any GoPro-type camera that's a good balance of being cheap(ish) while being not totally lovely?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
One thing that hasn't come up is that most first aid equipment can be used for other purposes. While I do have a couple of Band-Aids, I mostly just stick with athletic tape, which ends up being cheaper overall and does a better job of staying in place on one's feet for blisters and such. Temporary repair for a slight tear in cloth... tape on both sides.

Scissors... not needed because you have a pocketknife. Nail clippers... probably not needed because you have teeth. Alcohol swab... try a bar of hotel soap. Most cuts tend to do fine if you let them bleed a bit, but a bandaid isn't going to prevent mud from getting in there as you continue down the trail, so the alcohol is going to waste. If you slice or lacerate to the bone somehow, even a bottle of liquor won't clean it out well enough; you need to prevent excessive bleeding, stay hydrated, and find a place for stitches... and they're probably going to stab all sorts of liquid near the wound just to be safe.

You all forgot qtips. Stuffing a twig in your ear is no fun and when your ear canal itches... gah. They can also be wetted and used to remove debris from eyes. (Maybe finger splints as well?)

Latex gloves can be used for many things because they're waterproof and stretchy. You can chop off fingers and slide the glove up a leg to cover/hold gauze, protect it from mud, and so forth. Alas they aren't the most stretchy, so you won't be able to cover large areas. Take a condom for that.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Time Cowboy posted:

I'm looking into some kind of action camera for filming my hikes. The cheap GoPros seem to get savage negative reviews (poor image quality, a tendency to brick, etc.), and the better models are outrageously expensive. Is there any GoPro-type camera that's a good balance of being cheap(ish) while being not totally lovely?

A coworker of mine has the Sony Action Cam and has been very happy with in. The small wrist monitor is really good for setting up and checking your shots.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I got some leukotape in place of athletic tape or duct tape, moleskin, etc. poo poo stays in place. I just wrapped some around the old film canister I use to carry pills and small loose things .

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Nail clippers... probably not needed because you have teeth.

If I were flexible enough to chew my own toenails, I wouldn't leave the house to go backpacking.

In other words, nail clippers are an essential, esp. for thru-hiking.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Just watched Jumbo Wild on Netflix. Would like to go there. Now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

theroachman posted:

IANAD, but you're not supposed to do this. The tick gets doped up by the alcohol in the hand sanitizer and subsequently dumps its stomach contents back into the bite, including the parasite that supposedly causes whatever that thing you get from tick bites is called.

That is awful to hear.

Last summer I had three separate fuckups that ended with me having over a hundred mosquito/tick bites per gently caress up. poo poo was super unpleasant and this year I am going to just cover myself in poison if that is what it takes. Or just quit hiking and just kayak all summer.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

bonds0097 posted:

Just watched Jumbo Wild on Netflix. Would like to go there. Now.

Based on what happened after the last popular netflix hiking movie, you better go now before the hordes descent

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

bongwizzard posted:

That is awful to hear.

Last summer I had three separate fuckups that ended with me having over a hundred mosquito/tick bites per gently caress up. poo poo was super unpleasant and this year I am going to just cover myself in poison if that is what it takes. Or just quit hiking and just kayak all summer.

Where are you hiking?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
As an alternative to leukotape, climbing tape works well too. A bit tougher and sticks well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've been following the poo poo going on with Jumbo and a few other key areas in the mountains for several years now, and it's definitely interesting. I like the international attention, because that's so many more voices speaking out against what is honestly, in my opinion, an unnecessary development. Every single person I know who knows about the existence of the valley is opposed to any change at all. Of course that's going to bring in more people, but as long as they're interested in utilizing the actual wilderness for recreational purpose and not demanding increased convenience, I think ultimately it will pay off and support our cause, even if it means we see someone else on the slopes or the trail more frequently than before. As much as we want to keep all this wilderness to ourselves exclusively, that's simply not reality. I don't have any more a right to be in a space than anyone else, I just hope they respect that space at the same level as I do. I acknowledge that some won't, but hopefully the place stays too inaccessible to their skill level and they end up not doing much damage. The change in our federal government should help prevent all these awesome spaces from getting too hosed up, because the last one was really gung ho on ignoring any environmentalist concerns in favour of instant profits. A lot of the controversies in our parks were just because of Harper. And now that he's gone the dynamics are changing.

Of course I could be speaking from a pretty extreme bias, I am in school for ecotourism and we're kind of taught to be sour towards development for development's sake. "Sustainable development" is our motto even though it's a But we're extremely proud of being basically the only place on Earth where you can land at a major international airport and within two or three hours being in legitimately serious and authentic wilderness.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

turevidar posted:

Based on what happened after the last popular netflix hiking movie, you better go now before the hordes descent

Are you referring to "Mile, Mile and a Half"?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

turevidar posted:

Good luck hordes. This isn't the AT super-highway, it's proper wilderness. Though wouldn't it be ironic if the movie created awareness in such a way that it actually spurred development because people want to experience 'the wild'.

Picnic Princess posted:

I've been following the poo poo going on with Jumbo and a few other key areas in the mountains for several years now, and it's definitely interesting. I like the international attention, because that's so many more voices speaking out against what is honestly, in my opinion, an unnecessary development. Every single person I know who knows about the existence of the valley is opposed to any change at all. Of course that's going to bring in more people, but as long as they're interested in utilizing the actual wilderness for recreational purpose and not demanding increased convenience, I think ultimately it will pay off and support our cause, even if it means we see someone else on the slopes or the trail more frequently than before. As much as we want to keep all this wilderness to ourselves exclusively, that's simply not reality. I don't have any more a right to be in a space than anyone else, I just hope they respect that space at the same level as I do. I acknowledge that some won't, but hopefully the place stays too inaccessible to their skill level and they end up not doing much damage. The change in our federal government should help prevent all these awesome spaces from getting too hosed up, because the last one was really gung ho on ignoring any environmentalist concerns in favour of instant profits. A lot of the controversies in our parks were just because of Harper. And now that he's gone the dynamics are changing.

Of course I could be speaking from a pretty extreme bias, I am in school for ecotourism and we're kind of taught to be sour towards development for development's sake. "Sustainable development" is our motto even though it's a But we're extremely proud of being basically the only place on Earth where you can land at a major international airport and within two or three hours being in legitimately serious and authentic wilderness.

I think it's interesting that in a society (Western) that places so much emphasis on property rights, the occupancy of a people for 400 generations means nothing. I mean, squatter's rights or something, c'mon?

I think the contrast with Europe was a good one and it would be a shame to see all of our wilderness be tamed and developed. You can't really undo that. Backcountry skiing looks like a blast. I imagine avalanche training comes in handy. :D

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

That is awful to hear.

I've never tried it, but maybe give permethrin treated clothing a shot?

Personally, I've had really good results with Dr. Bronners peppermint soap. I just bathe with it prior to a trip, and that seems to do a good job keeping ticks off me. The natural peppermint oil is a pretty good natural tick repellant, and Dr. Bronner's is biodegradable so I carry an ounce with me if I need camp soap or anything on a trip.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tsyni posted:

Where are you hiking?

In and around the brackish marshes and rivers of Maryland's western shore.

One was foolishly not having a bug net while camping by a river, the second was walking into a tick nest like 4 miles from my car, and the last was wandering too far afield and getting caught out at dusk with no bug spray and again like a 4 mile walk back to my car.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
ticks on the east coast can be horrifying in terms of how many of the fuckers there are

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

These are the ticks that had made it through my sock and attached to my foot. I had managed to get another couple hundred wiped off of my ankles with alcohol wipes.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Holy gently caress slap a NMS tag on that picture

Ticks are the loving worst and I'm glad that I torture them to death anytime I find one. I figure it tells the tick hivemind that I'm not to be hosed with.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Well, I'm never leaving California again.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm glad I've never seen ticks that small or that many at once.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

bongwizzard posted:

These are the ticks that had made it through my sock and attached to my foot. I had managed to get another couple hundred wiped off of my ankles with alcohol wipes.

So, tell us about life with Lyme disease.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Ticks can be that small? How the gently caress do you make sure you get them off but without leaving a head that tiny?!?!

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Lyme's disease, that's the name I was looking for in my previous post!

Well anyway, the possibly good news is that when the ticks are still that small, they probably haven't been attached long enough to suck up blood, which means there's no fluid for them to regurgitate back into your blood. Key word here is probably.

I'd go see a doctor though, Lyme's can take a while to incubate. AFAIR the time between exposure and antibiotics treatment is a major factor in effectiveness.

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005

theroachman posted:

I'd go see a doctor though, Lyme's can take a while to incubate. AFAIR the time between exposure and antibiotics treatment is a major factor in effectiveness.

I managed to get it 3 summers in a row (twice confirmed with the bullseye, third time just the other symptoms, never did blood tests). Every time I got on antibiotics quick and have had no lasting effects.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
My understanding is that even treating just your shoes with permrethrin will go a long way to reducing your chances of getting tick-borne diseases. They only need a few centimeters on treated fabric before they die.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I have never seen ticks that small and I am in southern BC. I have a black dog this year so that should be fun.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Yeahhh I'm never going hiking and I'll just stare lovingly at my techwear in the closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Ticks like that are why I can't hike locally (Long Island, NY) from just about now through September.