Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Four Score posted:

I was just poking fun at how the wooden knife is illustrated as reflecting light for some reason :shrug:

And I was also making a joke I am not super mad about being challenged on Blade's knife material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Narcissus1916 posted:

the first two seasons of Agent Carter.

Did I miss a renewal announcement, or are you being optimistic?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Guys that knife is clearly copper, Blade needs so many that he resorts to stripping copper from homes and smelting it

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lycus posted:

Did I miss a renewal announcement, or are you being optimistic?

I'm being cautiously optimistic and assuming ABC owning Disney gives it a bit of an advantage over other shows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm being cautiously optimistic and assuming ABC owning Disney gives it a bit of an advantage over other shows.

I think it has a lot better chance than another show with those ratings for sure.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty frustrating season. The Frank Castle story really hit wheel-spinning mode around Episode 3 and continued to Episode 8, and it made Foggy and Karen look like idiots the whole time. Karen's belief -- with barely any evidence to back her up -- that Frank wasn't a psychopath was goddamn awful, and he just kept proving her wrong over and over and over.

I feel like the whole first half of the Punisher plot was a setup to do two thing: Kill Nelson & Murdock and bring Kingpin back into the story. It took forever to do those two things, and it wasn't necessary for either. Matt is already ruining his law practice plenty without it, and it's a very important job that he's ignoring. They could have him bungle just about any case by playing dress-up instead of preparing and end the practice. And you're Netflix, just do a standalone Kingpin in jail episode.

I liked the Elektra plot though. Nobu the Immortal Ninja and his band of cannon fodder were good villains and it got Stick back in the show. With that whole "You're our ultimate weapon" cliche twist though, she should really be kicking a lot more rear end. Just demolishing everyone. I'll admit I don't think I really got the Black Hand's big plan. I feel like I missed something, and I don't see how Elektra would really elevate them to unstoppable levels. They've got a Lazurus Pit already, what do they need her for?

Minor quibbles:
-Episode 3 was the worst. Back-to-back scenes of Foggy and Karen doing the clumsiest legal maneuvering. "Oh, the DA is so mean. You should ruin your career by leaking the case file to me because she's a big meanie," followed by Foggy lawtalking two guys out of stabbing each other. Ugh. Butttt Episode 3 had the stairwell fight ...

-Did they forget how Daredevil works or did I miss something? Why can't he see the ninjas sometimes? He uses echolocation to see everything, right? He doesn't get to a set of stairs and go "Oh poo poo, these stairs are masking their heartbeats," he just walks up them because he can "see" them like a bat. Ninjas are great enemies because they're believable at variable levels of toughness. I can buy it when Daredevil mows through them; I can buy it when they pose a serious problem for him. They don't need to add some nonsensical wrinkle to ninjas.

Edit: I'mma just throw some spoiler tags in here. They seem to be still in use even though the OP says they stop at Page 28. :shrug:

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 31, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

I think the Dogs of Hell are the group that Frank shot at that Matt had to beat up in the awesome hallway fight scene, so they weren't JUST an off-screen entity.

Yes they absolutely are the group that are one of the three Frank is after and were part of the drug deal. The off-hand comment about a bunch of them getting killed in a different state is just a SHIELD reference.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kingcom posted:

Yes they absolutely are the group that are one of the three Frank is after and were part of the drug deal. The off-hand comment about a bunch of them getting killed in a different state is just a SHIELD reference.

An AoS reference? The Netflix series just sealed their fate, they'll never be part of the MCU now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A few people in the thread asked me about the xbox-era Punisher game which I've mentioned before, which was a very well-received Punisher story. Turns out there was a pretty good LP of the game that also talks about the comic character. There's even a guest appearance by Daredevil towards the end of the game.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cythereal posted:

A few people in the thread asked me about the xbox-era Punisher game which I've mentioned before, which was a very well-received Punisher story. Turns out there was a pretty good LP of the game that also talks about the comic character. There's even a guest appearance by Daredevil towards the end of the game.

Thank you for this!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

This game is an amazing Punisher simulator, I must've played it about five times on PC and gotten all the unlocks without the cheat profile. Tom Jane voices Frank and regardless of what you thought of his movie give him a chance here, in a VA capacity he owned the role.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Punisher game is way better than people give it credit for. It starts out with some generic mob killing and then spirals out into increasingly crazy set pieces. IIRC there's a level set in Stark Laboratories.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Punisher game is way better than people give it credit for. It starts out with some generic mob killing and then spirals out into increasingly crazy set pieces. IIRC there's a level set in Stark Laboratories.

Yep. Guest appearances include Daredevil, Black Widow, Iron Man, and Nick Fury.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

McSpanky posted:

This game is an amazing Punisher simulator, I must've played it about five times on PC and gotten all the unlocks without the cheat profile. Tom Jane voices Frank and regardless of what you thought of his movie give him a chance here, in a VA capacity he owned the role.

It's also way more surreal now that hes one of the leads in the Expanse.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

kingcom posted:

I could have sworn that the Punisher was being blamed for those, as they happened on the interstate between New York and New Jersey or something, so they wanted to charge him federally? I'd have to rewatch the first few episodes again but I'm almost sure that was how they were putting the death penalty on the table. Shucks, guess I'll have to watch season 2 again. Poor me.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xyretire posted:

I could have sworn that the Punisher was being blamed for those, as they happened on the interstate between New York and New Jersey or something, so they wanted to charge him federally? I'd have to rewatch the first few episodes again but I'm almost sure that was how they were putting the death penalty on the table. Shucks, guess I'll have to watch season 2 again. Poor me.

Three Dogs of War were killed in Delaware and the DA was trying to link Frank to the crime so she could extradite him to a death penalty state. This fell through as they couldn't link Castle to the three deaths.

Seriously, the DA is one of the worst criminals so far in Daredevil. At least Kingpin and the rest kill out of greed or for a larger goal. The DA is covering up crimes, getting innocent people killed, and then trying to kill a war hero who survived the massacre of his family just so she doesn't have to deal with bad press. The Russian who got his head caved in by Fisk in season 1 was more sympathetic than her.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 31, 2016

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Blade is my favorite action movie from the 90's and I would totally dig a Blade Netflix series. Heck I consider Blade to be in cannon with MCU until it is directly contradicted.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gyges posted:

Three Dogs of War were killed in Delaware and the DA was trying to link Frank to the crime so she could extradite him to a death penalty state. This fell through as they couldn't link Castle to the three deaths.

Seriously, the DA is one of the worst criminals so far in Daredevil. At least Kingpin and the rest kill out of greed or for a larger goal. The DA is covering up crimes, getting innocent people killed, and then trying to kill a war hero who survived the massacre of his family just so she doesn't have to deal with bad press. The Russian who got his head caved in by Fisk in season 1 was more sympathetic than her.

To be pedantic, Delaware doesn't have the death penalty. But if Frank crossed state borders to commit his crimes, it'd subject him to federal jurisdiction and the federal death penalty. Which is what I think gets said on the show too.

Them again, the repeal of the death penalty was super recent so it may have been in force when the script was written.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

jscolon2.0 posted:

To be pedantic, Delaware doesn't have the death penalty. But if Frank crossed state borders to commit his crimes, it'd subject him to federal jurisdiction and the federal death penalty. Which is what I think gets said on the show too.

Them again, the repeal of the death penalty was super recent so it may have been in force when the script was written.

Delaware still has the death penalty. It's currently on hold while the Delaware Supreme Court determines the constitutionality of the law, in light of the January US Supreme Court ruling on Florida's Death Penalty. Florida, Delaware, and Alabama let judges instead of juries impose the death sentence. The Delaware state House tried to repeal it, but the bill failed and then a judge ordered a halt to the death penalty until they figure out the constitutionality of Delaware's situation.

So it was only about a month or so before the series dropped on Netflix that Delaware's death penalty was suspended. Florida "fixed" their death penalty, so in a few months Delaware may be back to going Punisher on convicts.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Alternatively history and laws are different in the MCU what with a loving alien invasion and poo poo making people more distracted that about constitutionality of the death penalty assigned by a judge?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

side_burned posted:

Blade is my favorite action movie from the 90's and I would totally dig a Blade Netflix series. Heck I consider Blade to be in cannon with MCU until it is directly contradicted.

I'd be down with this except that it would mean Blade 2 and Trinity would have to be counted. But the first one was so good.

I've only got a couple of episodes left of Daredevil S2, but man there is some goofy poo poo in this season. The newspaper guy ordering cops off the crime scene was the biggest "what's happening here?" moment for me so far, but they've blurred the lines to bad between good and bad, that it's hard to really take anyone's side anymore.

Plus, I'm hoping they get to it, but we're two seasons deep now and the Hand's plans still don't make any sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kingcom posted:

Gyges posted:

The Agents of SHIELD episode featuring the Dogs of War gang happened in California (Death Valley, to be exact) and Las Vegas so it was over on the wrong side of the country to be the Delaware incident.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got annoyed that the DA was evil for stupid reasons because it neatly sidestepped the big flaw the show brought up and never really addressed. They were very dramatic about "the DA wants to use this to springboard her ANTI-VIGILANTE campaign. First she goes for the Punisher and then Daredevil and Jessica Jones" and all I could think was "... yes? Should she not? They commit violent crimes and break the law on a regular basis and their very existence is actually destabilizing trust in the police to the point even Daredevil acknowledges that. Even if he didn't there is no reason any law enforcement official should want illegal vigilantes committing crimes even if they're doing it for a good cause."

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

PostNouveau posted:

-Did they forget how Daredevil works or did I miss something? Why can't he see the ninjas sometimes? He uses echolocation to see everything, right? He doesn't get to a set of stairs and go "Oh poo poo, these stairs are masking their heartbeats," he just walks up them because he can "see" them like a bat. Ninjas are great enemies because they're believable at variable levels of toughness. I can buy it when Daredevil mows through them; I can buy it when they pose a serious problem for him. They don't need to add some nonsensical wrinkle to ninjas.

Every time I bring this up to someone, they act like I'm crazy. "Daredevil hears everything. That's how he gets around!" Horseshit! They SHOW his radar sense in season 1. He's not going to climb stairs and ladders by hearing. He routinely picks up things in the environment to use as weapons, and those objects are stationary. It seriously is like they forgot how Daredevil works.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just chalked it up to further ninja magic and not having clumsy expositional dialog where Matt lists off all the senses the ninjas are confounding.

Ironically, when this happens in the comics and Matt encounters the Hand for the first time, they fool him by holding their breath rather than it being their giveaway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm just charitably assuming people moving around without heartbeats is confusing Matt. I mean, Stick had to tell him to listen to their breathing which there's no way he couldn't already hear. So I guess Matt is a loving idiot who couldn't get past humunculi moving around without heartbeats until Stick gave him another method to see them as human?

Doronin posted:

I've only got a couple of episodes left of Daredevil S2, but man there is some goofy poo poo in this season. The newspaper guy ordering cops off the crime scene was the biggest "what's happening here?" moment for me so far, but they've blurred the lines to bad between good and bad, that it's hard to really take anyone's side anymore.

I don't know why you guys keep thinking that the Editor orders cops around. He went and talked to the cops to get her protection since she's likely one of the "Punisher" targets. Probably talked to their sergeant or a detective in charge of the scene. I mean, I'm pretty sure they want to keep alive at least long enough for a statement or something. On TV the detective or sergeant can just willy nilly order everyone else around anyway.

Hey Mr. Policeguy in charge, I've got a girl here who is both likely a target of this shooter and has information on the situation. Could you provide some protection for her? Cool, I'll go let her know.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 31, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Every time I bring this up to someone, they act like I'm crazy. "Daredevil hears everything. That's how he gets around!" Horseshit! They SHOW his radar sense in season 1. He's not going to climb stairs and ladders by hearing. He routinely picks up things in the environment to use as weapons, and those objects are stationary. It seriously is like they forgot how Daredevil works.

Yeah, it is weird. I remember earlier itt someone was speculating that it felt like some subplots/storylines were cut short and he specifically focused on the zombie ninja corpse in the hospital leading nowhere, I wonder if the hearbeat thing was originally going to get tied in with all of that, but instead they just made it a random power/advantage the ninjas would have over Daredevil, even though it shouldn't even work by what's already been established.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just like with all superhero stories, powers are tied to plot relevance.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The season generally had problems with its "power rankings". One moment Matt was dealing out rear end whoopings, the next he's getting clowned by who knows. But they did kind of forget that he's blind in too many instances.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I've head retconned it as not all Hand ninjas are already dead, and the ones that haven't, still have beating hearts but all of them breathe.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Forgive me if this has been answered, but this thread is huge.

What exactly caused Frank to turn against his defense? I figured Fisk had gotten to him by threatening Matt, Foggy and Karen when they had the reveal at the end of the episode, but then it appeared that was their first meeting in the next episode.
Did all it take for Frank to turn was a guard asking him who he wants to be?

I seem to fit in the majority here that liked the first half but got annoyed with the ninja foot (hand) soldiers.

I had no problem with Electra, Stick and Nobu being ninja like and not using guns but a bunch of random ninjas just looked dumb. I was really hoping the giant crowd of ninjas waiting for them on the rooftop was a setup to the scene in the Lundgren Punisher movie where they gun down 50 ninjas as soon as they get off the elevator. That would have totally made the episode for me.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 31, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AFewBricksShy posted:

Forgive me if this has been answered, but this thread is huge.

What exactly caused Frank to turn against his defense? I figured Fisk had gotten to him by threatening Matt, Foggy and Karen when they had the reveal at the end of the episode, but then it appeared that was their first meeting in the next episode.
Did all it take for Frank to turn was a guard asking him who he wants to be?

Fisk sent a message saying that he could tell him who was really behind his family's death but he needed to go see him in prison to receive it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think he was already against them, to a certain degree. He didn't want any part of the insanity defense, told his lawyers as much, and then they started running something like that during the trial. It seemed like the prison guard's message was just pushing him over the edge. Didn't something similar happen when he was agreeable when talking to Karen alone in the hospital room and then later changes his mind? I'm drawing a blank, but I seem to recall something like that.

Still annoyed Matt didn't pay that prison guard an evening visit with accompanying beatdown/questions.

edit: Wow, I must have either forgot or missed the Fisk message thing. I remember Fisk saying, "I see you received my message." or something like that, but for some reason thought it was just the guard's whisper. Do we see that or it's just clear from the conversation between Fisk and Castle?

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 31, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its the same guard leading frank around in prison

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So, who do you reckon the clean-up crew in Matt's apartment is? Is there like an app for that, or is it some service the uber rich like Elektra just call from the phone number on a black card?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ufarn posted:

So, who do you reckon the clean-up crew in Matt's apartment is? Is there like an app for that, or is it some service the uber rich like Elektra just call from the phone number on a black card?

Maybe it's the same crew from John Wick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Doronin posted:

The newspaper guy ordering cops off the crime scene was the biggest "what's happening here?" moment for me so far...

Plus, I'm hoping they get to it, but we're two seasons deep now and the Hand's plans still don't make any sense.

That bugged me too. Only thing I can assume is that the editor had a cushy relationship with those cops based on "I won't run this story/you are my unnamed source" type of poo poo we never saw. If there's one big weakness in season 2 it's that they not only didn't SHOW, they didn't TELL either, at least in several areas, most prominently The Hand.

You're absolutely right. Who is The Hand? Ancient ninjas "fighting an ancient war". A war over what? What's their goal? What are they hoping to accomplish? What is Black Sky? "The Ultimate Weapon". Designed to accomplish what? How does draining the blood of children help them accomplish tis nebulous goal?

Near as I can figure, they're fighting a war over the secret to immortality but that's not really made plain when all they do is swarm buildings and Stick calls Matt a child and really just acts like a smartass most of the time. Speaking of that, first thing, how come we saw an entire of swarming ninjas in the last episode and at the end there was maybe a dozen on the rooftop fight?

I hope they knock some of this kung fu poo poo off next season and get back to Wilson, Frank, the courtroom and introduce Bullseye. They need to dial it down a tad and tighten up the plot.

10 Beers posted:

Co-signing that the show only really incorporates Daredevil's powers when it works for the plot. Most of the time they just seem to forget it except for a few subtle and clever nods sprinkled around. The Affleck movie had a ton of issues and really sucked but I dug the way they worked the way Matt "sees" into it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 31, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Karen had already had a detail on her to escort her home and keep her safe at least twice, I assumed Ben just said she was a witness and a had a detail so maybe they should protect her since yet another witness was dead.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Plus the editor actually says something like, "I just cashed in my last favor" or something to that effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011