Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, Jazzhands. Countdown to Loss...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

:stonklol:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

I think it had to do with Ben being uncharacteristically quiet and sedate during the last stream.

I could check to make sure, but that would require going back and reading stuff, in context even.

It would be hilarious if Ben was probably told in a memo that he will be the one announcing TOS 1.3 which requires another 24 months development time.

:psyboom:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The other Disco post that I didn't see in the thread:

:siren::lesnick::siren::lesnick::siren:

:siren::lesnick::siren::lesnick::siren:

Doing damage control because you let your mush-mouthed boss talk on an unscripted livestream, and hyped the shitizens to an unsustainable level.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

"She wouldnt give me access to the retirement fund. I needed that Starfarer. I needed it bad. Night night wife. Night night...forever."

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I only catch up on Star Citizen news every few months so I'm way out of touch but what's with the numbering scheme? How are they are near version 2.4 of anything when they are still in alpha?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is version 2.4 of the alpha. or pre-alpha.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

1.0 was Arena Commander/Hanger. 2.0 is the Stanton/baby-PU released in November. They add a .1 to each monthly patch starting this year. So 2.4 is April's monthly patch, and 2.5 will come in May. The numbers don't really represent anything meaningful in reality.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So 2.4 is where the VISION of the persistence begins

It's all bollocks isn't it, everything they put out is pure bollocks. It's unreal.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
very humble beginnings
long-form vision
year long roadmap

vs

what CR actually said

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

gently caress all of you. Fell back like 60 pages by being out all day Saturday, and it felt like I'd never get closer than 40 pages of caught up.

Watching Eonwe's avatar change in real time as I was reading the thread was pretty amazing though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SomethingJones posted:

It's all bollocks isn't it, everything they put out is pure bollocks. It's unreal.

We'll start saving your settings in a .cfg file and maybe even track you're balance on a server

Walla, persistent, kickstarter pledge met, now back to S42:E1 part 1

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Tokamak posted:

1.0 was Arena Commander/Hanger. 2.0 is the Stanton/baby-PU released in November. They add a .1 to each monthly patch starting this year. So 2.4 is April's monthly patch, and 2.5 will come in May. The numbers don't really represent anything meaningful in reality.
Do they have a roadmap of what is going to be included at each milestone? Is release going to be a bizarrely numbered 3.0? Or is that beta, and release is 4.0?

It may be old hat to everyone else but the weird numbering seems such a blatant stamp that they don't know how they are going to get where they want to go.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
at the bottom of Chris's rambling is this: "the rest of this entire year revolves around a Car Lot where you can spend your deeply devalued credits on more ships. That's persistence. Maybe there will be some character customization? dunno"

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

SomethingJones posted:

On DAY ONE you will be able to have a credit balance that carries over.
In a month or two (or six), you will begin to see places where you can spend your credit balance.
In a patch shortly after, you will be able to equip your items, and have them remain equipped between game sessions.
And maybe, just maybe in a couple of years when you log on you will appear in the same place as where you logged off!

That is out vision for the most immersive MMO ever conceived.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Trapezium Dave posted:

Do they have a roadmap of what is going to be included at each milestone? Is release going to be a bizarrely numbered 3.0? Or is that beta, and release is 4.0?

It may be old hat to everyone else but the weird numbering seems such a blatant stamp that they don't know how they are going to get where they want to go.

It is "Agile" development (CIG speak). They include whatever is done at a predetermined cut-off for the monthly patch (translated). Which is why they have long term visions for persistance. They have no hard deadlines, and no clue when anything will be done. What they call 3.0 or 4.0, they have been on record as saying that they have no idea.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

SomethingJones posted:

very humble beginnings
long-form vision
year long roadmap

vs

what CR actually said

Kinda surprised anyone even listens to Chris when the community management has to start walking things back and dampening expectations less than a day after he gets up and talks.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It was super blatant when Jared said "I love listening to Chris, he always knows what he is talking about" and the dude in the background cracked up laughing. Nobody respects CR lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I think I'm starting to see what Chris was supposed to do in that stream. The idea was for him to explain why a ton of features are basically going to be left to languish for the remainder of the year, under the guise of "refactoring", while the car lot gets emphasized under the guise of "persistence". Unfortunately Chris didn't have the heart to make this clear, so now Ben and Lando are left to explain the total nothingness of 2.4 without a cushion for the blow. ouch.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

No, I'm pretty drat sure their elite team of coders will be able to make your UEC balance and setting choices persistent across sessions in 2016, as promised.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I think I'm starting to see what Chris was supposed to do in that stream. The idea was for him to explain why a ton of features are basically going to be left to languish for the remainder of the year, under the guise of "refactoring", while the car lot gets emphasized under the guise of "persistence". Unfortunately Chris didn't have the heart to make this clear, so now Ben and Lando are left to explain the total nothingness of 2.4 without a cushion for the blow. ouch.

The sad part about the whole stream is that its been 4 years and Chris is still dreaming; there's nothing concrete, and set in stone. And what amazes me even more is spergs can view the stream and be hyped all about what's to come instead of worry about the terrible state in which the game is in right now.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Tokamak posted:

It is "Agile" development (CIG speak). They include whatever is done at a predetermined cut-off for the monthly patch (translated). Which is why they have long term visions for persistance. They have no hard deadlines, and no clue when anything will be done. What they call 3.0 or 4.0, they have been on record as saying that they have no idea.
So by monthly patch, is that "whatever the development build is at the time"? I can see why the game looks glitchier than when I dropped by months ago. :rolleyes:

They do know they have competition in the area, right? Elite: Dangerous might be niche but No Mans Sky is probably going to have some marketing muscle behind it. They might not have any internal hard deadlines but they sure are some hefty external ones imposed on them.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lando worried that citizens are hyped to an unsustainable level by Chris and his bullshit? Boy have I got some bad news for you buddy...

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Derek, will we be getting the promised accounting information after TOS 1.2 lapses?

Or is their defense that SC 2.0 PTU Alpha is the intended delivery?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Schrodinger's Citizen : Star Cats.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

no_recall posted:

Or is their defense that SC 2.0 PTU Alpha is the intended delivery?

Does the space pope poo poo in the procedurally generated woods?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

No Mods No Masters posted:

Does the space pope poo poo in the procedurally generated woods?

Does a procedurally generated bird generate procedurally generated birds when a procedurally generated bird can be generated procedurally in some procedurally generated woods in a procedurally generated world in a procedurally generated system?

Yes it does.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Speaking of No Man's Sky I've a strong suspicion Ryan Archer designed the space ship.

:raise:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Finally caught up from like 20+ pages ago. Ryan Archer continues to be the stolen gift that keeps on giving. A SC employee stealing from the Transverse is like the universe closing the perfect karmic loop.

I'm sorry the dude buying eonwe new AVs isn't more creative.

Looking forward to Something Jones' transcript of Roberts' rant today

Very interesting how the morale seemed to be in that video... The warrant canaries coming home to roost

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

We should just start sticking his signature in the corner of random artwork

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Speaking of No Man's Sky I've a strong suspicion Ryan Archer designed the space ship.

I like the art direction in No Man's Sky. :(

It's like it's lifted from classic colourful sci-fi novel covers, rather than Star Citizen's lifting from the most common denominator of sci-fi games.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I used to pour over Ryan Church's work for days, no reverse lookup necessary for this one:

i am harry fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 31, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I keep reading it as warring canaries.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Trapezium Dave posted:

I like the art direction in No Man's Sky. :(

It's like it's lifted from classic colourful sci-fi novel covers, rather than Star Citizen's lifting from the most common denominator of sci-fi games.

In my books from what I've seen: NMS and Enemy Starfighter stand out aesthetically as Homeworld did in the past. Its wonderful and creative. I'm personally looking forward to playing NMS with my son as copilot naming things and just having plain fun blowing things up and exploring.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

They do know they have competition in the area, right? Elite: Dangerous might be niche but No Mans Sky is probably going to have some marketing muscle behind it. They might not have any internal hard deadlines but they sure are some hefty external ones imposed on them.

This is something I've been mulling over for a while now. The idea of Star Citizen was almost refreshing when it was announced. However, the longer this is "in development," more games will fill the void. Maybe not in scope ("dreams" they're called, these days), but games will come into the vacuum to scratch the itch of exploration, space flight, combat, and every other facet of the "in space" gem - to the point where when/if this thing ever reaches a playable (rather than testing) state, those who are not die-hard Citizens will have gotten their fill elsewhere, and the non-hardcore audience will have moved onto something else.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Chris saying 'no point in working on the old system while building the new one' seems important, anyone got a timestamp? It almost validates the Smart bomb about PU entering maintenance mode

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sandi was supposed to be 20 in this picture? I have less trouble believing SQ42 is comming out this summer.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Kilmers Elbow posted:

This is an X-Wing with the top wings removed. :shobon:

i am harry fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 31, 2016

• Locked thread