Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

origami posted:

BJJ confession: I believe that I had a major leg-up when I first started years ago because I watched MMA. I knew what half guard, back control and side control were from watching fights.

It's really common but I'm always surprised if I meet a beginner that doesn't know what passing the guard means.

Sometimes we'll have green guys come in who know visually what a kimura grip is but not the mechanics behind it, and I'll let them get the grip and fuss with it for a few seconds before reguarding/sweeping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

origami posted:

BJJ confession: I believe that I had a major leg-up when I first started years ago because I watched MMA. I knew what half guard, back control and side control were from watching fights.

It's really common but I'm always surprised if I meet a beginner that doesn't know what passing the guard means.

My original coach commented on that and said it is kinda nice that many people don't really need to be taught what the guard is, what a triangle is etc

Not that they really know how to do any of it, but they already get the basic idea

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The best was a few years ago a guy came to train who had never grappled before but watched MMA, but somehow thought that the point of an armbar was to yank the guys arm out of its socket, like pulling it away from their body. Then when I did an actual armbar on him he was like holy poo poo thats what theyre doing?

Then i was imagining him watching fights where someones stuck in an armbar and him being like cmon... dont let him rip your arm out.. keep it sucked in

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

manyak posted:

The best was a few years ago a guy came to train who had never grappled before but watched MMA, but somehow thought that the point of an armbar was to yank the guys arm out of its socket, like pulling it away from their body. Then when I did an actual armbar on him he was like holy poo poo thats what theyre doing?

Then i was imagining him watching fights where someones stuck in an armbar and him being like cmon... dont let him rip your arm out.. keep it sucked in

That owns, and its not 100% wrong either, if he sucks the elbow into his body to defend. Pre jiu jitsu I thought an armbar was just a control position and that everyone who kept saying it was a sub was crazy. "How can you break the arm back??? You can't hyperextend it any further! The floor is in the way!!" Then someone did it with a hip lift on me. MIND BLOWN.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Has it been mentioned that Metamoris is supposedly back from the dead with an interestingish card set for July?

--Marcus "Buchecha" Almeida vs. Roger Gracie
--Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Satoshi Ishii
--Gilbert Burns vs. Dillon Danis
--Ralek Gracie vs. Tim Spriggs
--Matheus Diniz vs. Yuri Simoes
--Secret match

If all else fails the main event is legit as heck and worth the price of admission, though I'll be reluctant to send Ralek my credit card information again. Pleased to see Chael not involved, though I wouldn't mind him on commentary. Danis and Diniz apparently being different people who both train under Marcelo is very confusing to me. Ralek confirms on the inside bjj podcast that he is in fact gonna fight Tim Spriggs for real no foolin.

Decades fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 24, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Supposedly Spriggs has neither agreed to fight nor signed anything

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Decades posted:

Has it been mentioned that Metamoris is supposedly back from the dead with an interestingish card set for July?

--Marcus "Buchecha" Almeida vs. Roger Gracie
--Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Satoshi Ishii
--Gilbert Burns vs. Dillon Danis
--Ralek Gracie vs. Tim Spriggs
--Matheus Diniz vs. Yuri Simoes
--Secret match

If all else fails the main event is legit as heck and worth the price of admission, though I'll be reluctant to send Ralek my credit card information again. Pleased to see Chael not involved, though I wouldn't mind him on commentary. Danis and Diniz apparently being different people who both train under Marcelo is very confusing to me.

Wouldn't hold my breath on the Tim Spriggs match: http://imgur.com/5BwvJCw

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
My edit about Ralek being for real is now much funnier

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The New Yorker has somebody at NCAAs last weekend taking headshots of the wrestlers, they're pretty cool

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Of course we get the Gracie breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNACwXLeHHk

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The faces of weight cutting

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

I'm disappointed they didn't include Meredith.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Just a heads up. My teammate Aaron Milam, who owns Renzo Gracie Portland and is a blackbelt and student of John's is teaching a leg lock seminar at 10th Planet Ann Arbor today at 1 pm. If you're interested in the framework of the modern leg lock game from the Team Renzo Gracie perspective, I think it'll be a seminar well worth attending. Aaron is a great teacher and an amazing grappler.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I once tapped to a reverse triangle "armbar" because the dude who had it was incredulously strong and I was legit concerned he would dislocate my shoulder through sheer pull.

I also heard rodger gracie pulled the sleeve off a guy's in a match once.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

I once tapped to a reverse triangle "armbar" because the dude who had it was incredulously strong and I was legit concerned he would dislocate my shoulder through sheer pull.

I also heard rodger gracie pulled the sleeve off a guy's in a match once.

Robert Drysdale posted:

It’s not the fact that he is that tall, it’s that no one is used to going against someone that tall. You can’t just blame it on the fact that he’s tall though, the guy is incredible. He is very, very tight, especially when he is on top. You’ll see guys like Jacare, Margarida, or Xande beating him or coming very close to beating him, and those were basically judo matches. That’s why they were very close to beating him. I’m not the best guard player in the world, but I consider my guard to be above average. But it is very hard to play the guard with him. Look at his match against Romulo Barral in the finals of the open division. Romulo’s got one of the best guards in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and Roger just walked through it. After watching that match it confirmed to me that it is just very hard to play guard with Roger. He is just so tight and so long that when you try to sweep him his base is everywhere. He spreads his weight so well he is hard to move.

He is also incredibly strong. I don’t know if you guys saw this in the finals of 2007 but he ripped my gi. He just ripped my sleeve apart. That was a brand new gi that I had never worn before! That’s not normal! That’s not normal, I don’t care what people say. I have never seen that happen in my life. When he did that I was like, “Holy, &*#!” He was pulling against my sleeve, and I had my hand on his collar with a pretty good grip, and he kept pulling. I thought to myself, “You’re crazy, you’re never going to get my arm out of there”. It was stuck on his collar and it wasn’t going to move. And he kept pulling until he ripped my gi. I have never seen that before. That’s amazing when you think about it. How many people can do that? It’s not like it’s used or anything, it was brand new. The guy is incredibly strong. It may not look like it, but he’s a freak.

But it’s not just that. He knows how to spread his weight, he knows his thing. I still see weaknesses in his game, but it’s hard to get to those positions so you can explore them. I think mentally he’s very prepared, physically very prepared, technically very prepared. He’s on a path where he wants to become the next Rickson Gracie. That’s what he works for. That’s why he has no sponsors, he doesn’t talk much, he’s that quiet guy. The “I’m the samurai” kind of thing. He’s a smart kid and I think he’s going to be the next Rickson. He’s incredible. I’ve got no excuses for losing to him. I still think he’s human, that I can beat him. I think that there are a lot of guys out there that can beat him. But I think that right now he’s the toughest guy with the gi. With the gi I can’t think of anyone better than him right now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JHomer722 posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't include Meredith.

Same. The most perfectly coiffed finalist of the decade.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
All that work and preparation to lose at grappling with Tim Kennedy

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What grip specific work do you guys do aside from throwing a gi over a pull up bar? I want to tear gis

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do gis ever get miss-stitched? I wonder if that was a new gi that was bound to fail early, and Drysdale just happened to go up against Roger in it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

origami posted:

What grip specific work do you guys do aside from throwing a gi over a pull up bar? I want to tear gis

Not me personally, but the monster-grip guys that I know swear by dead lifts.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

ch3cooh posted:

Used to be a guy that trained with us that had an insanely good d'arce from bottom side control. Against him some of those positions moved between good and bad.

This reminds me of a gimmicky toe hold I always pull off when people take my back; it really only works against people who've never rolled with me before and aren't expecting it, but by god, i've caught some people i have no business catching.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

origami posted:

Wrist rolls are good.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

origami posted:

Farmer's walks? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Other/SBFarmersWalk.html

I'm a weak baby so I don't do 'em very heavy, but they get my forearms pretty good.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

MalleusDei posted:

Farmer's walks? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Other/SBFarmersWalk.html

I'm a weak baby so I don't do 'em very heavy, but they get my forearms pretty good.

If you want to have real fun with these, play around between having the same weight on both hands / having the weight only in one hand / having different weights in each hand.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Oh man, I forgot Tonon vs Palhares is this weekend. I'm actually completely undecided. I mean, Tonon did submit Imanari but Palhares is approximately five million times stronger, heavier, more explosive, will not have to worry about punches and I don't think Polaris does doping tests so really it's super interesting. What are people's thoughts on it?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Obviously as Garry's teammate, I support Garry and believe he has a better more sophisticated leg lock game and a strong chance to win but every time I see Palhares I think that guy is not only in a different weight class but may be a different species.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Speaking of Tonon, apparently one of his training partners trolled a bunch of people in a tournament last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRAGH6Mmahk

More context here: https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/difference-unorthodox-disrespectful/
Apparently his opponent was cool with it but some other people flipped out about it.
I have to say that I'm pretty impressed that someone can make that strategy work.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Gordon wasn't really trolling. We have a number of guys who can smash people from bottom mount. One of our teammates Sha is an absolute terror from bottom mount. The moment you mount you end up leg locked. Gordon was just using a riskier strategy.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Stuff like that is important to help slow bjj's descent into "grab my sleeve. No. Grab my sleeve like this"

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

Gordon wasn't really trolling. We have a number of guys who can smash people from bottom mount. One of our teammates Sha is an absolute terror from bottom mount. The moment you mount you end up leg locked. Gordon was just using a riskier strategy.

Thats cool

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

I hate guys like this. Grappling should have flexibility divisions to go along with weight divisions :colbert:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Same. The most perfectly coiffed finalist of the decade.

Speaking of, he had some pretty funky takedown defense in the finals against Heil that somebody conveniently gifed.

edit: it was gigantic so here's a like to a gifv of it instead

Full match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XXgIhm1Xvc

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 30, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This somehow hasn't been taken down either. The HWT finals were an amazing match. 2 time champ on an 88 match win streak vs. a world freestyle champ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgZ3rDjbEkU

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

david carmichael posted:

Stuff like that is important to help slow bjj's descent into "grab my sleeve. No. Grab my sleeve like this"

Make Leg Locks Haraam Again

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Slight rant but I swear I think I'm one of two whitebelts with no previous grappling experience at my gym. Seems like everyone has wrestling/judo experience. It makes attempting any takedowns while rolling a pain in the rear end and is honestly a little discouraging, One of the newer whitebelts who I just met did like six years of sambo. On the one hand they're giving me good tips on the other hand if I try anything I'm basically getting dumped or tossed.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 31, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Slight rant but I swear I think I'm one of two whitebelts with no previous grappling experience at my gym. Seems like everyone has wrestling/judo experience. It makes attempting any takedowns while rolling a pain in the rear end and is honestly a little discouraging, One of the newer whitebelts who I just met did like six years of sambo. On the one hand they're giving me good tips on the other hand if I try anything I'm basically getting dumped or tossed.

This is a good thing, if for any other reason then it means you shouldn't have any spazzy white belts to injure you/be injured by you.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

This is a good thing, if for any other reason then it means you shouldn't have any spazzy white belts to injure you/be injured by you.

This. Also kinda weird since outside of our competition class we start all rolls from sitting or kneeling.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Feel ya buddy. Doesn't help that I'm 57kg with bad knees so I can't break anyone's grip or sweep them.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

KildarX posted:

Yea I agree that is good, but I think after we drill takedowns during class they kind of enter and exit my mind because I never get a chance to attempt them during rolling. I feel like I really learn a move when I pull it off, or come close to pulling it off in rolling and there's no way I'm getting anywhwere close to a single or bodylock on my judo buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Seltzer posted:

Yea I agree that is good, but I think after we drill takedowns during class they kind of enter and exit my mind because I never get a chance to attempt them during rolling. I feel like I really learn a move when I pull it off, or come close to pulling it off in rolling and there's no way I'm getting anywhwere close to a single or bodylock on my judo buddy.

Ask and look into learning the concepts of gripfighting would be my guess.