Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

Once you recognize the secret reason for his appearance, you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

Is it something to do with the Freemasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Ortwin Freyermuth was really good in the DS9 episode Business as Usual.

Dude should be in front of the camera more often.

I am glad of CIG putting a Nazi POW on their currency.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

I was thinking sperg ships are just like these ultra-luxury douche wagons. All form no function. Like this:

That'd be the other way to do it that would be funny. I was thinking along the lines of the Retaliator and the other "military" ships that just look like a loving kitbash of military-themed BS.

Either way would highlight the real stupidity of CIG's ship design:

- either big and super luxury to the point of not being useable because of "IMMERSHUN"

- or just a giant insane mashup of military wings and tails and turrets and window struts because "WWII IN SPESS"

e: something like this, because all CIGs military ships look kinda cool and make no loving sense

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

cocaine dad show posted:

I think I can help with this, I need more funny excuses to do some painting

I work best with direction and there's a lot of funny things that everyone in the thread has thought of in the past to do with these themes so it would help a lot if people can continue to post ideas relating to these that they think would be funny to see in the concept art, or PM me with them, and I'll keep notes along with my own ideas and get drawing

Goonrathi: Think millenium falcon in terms of weathered, stitched together but reliable/performant/functional ships.

Sperg: Ultra slick, super-luxury ships obsessed with outward appearance, superfluous flashy crap, with no consideration about how they'll fly or perform.

Stimpire: Menacing, sleek, alien, dark, bent on destruction, etc.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Sperg ship should have the ability to vent the cargo room to convert illegal slaves into harmless legal corpses.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
I recently inherited my grandfather's WWII army uniform. I'll bet if someone were tasked with posing for a war bond picture, they might don a similarly acquired costume.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Xaerael posted:

This is good, and I'm sad that some people won't get the joke.
Thanks, and I figured that anyone who got it would get it like this:

CrazyTolradi posted:

As I read that post, it was with Leonard Nimoy's voice in my head.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Toops posted:

Hey if anyone has a bit of spare time, I'm in need of ship concept art for the three races for Solar Plebeian. The working idea is each race has their own variants of the same ship classes. Below is my wish list. The idea of having 15 different original, fully modeled ships is overly ambitious, and I just need one class per race for what I'm calling the "Alpha 0.1.0 vertical slice".

But the concept art for as much as possible will help arrive at a theme. Although I'm a visual person, I'm not visually creative (if that makes sense). If I try to do it, I'll just end up Archering it. So mainly I'm looking for consistent themes for the three races.

Races:
- Goonrathi
- Sperg
- Stimpire

Classes:
- Scout
- Fighter
- Corvette
- Cruiser
- Capital

Any ideas/artwork, whether serious or not, would be either helpful or funny.

I've already started drawing stuff up, but mostly Stimpire, because they're the most interesting. The idea for them would be to go as gaudy as possible, like Rome at the height of it's decadance, but incorporate the extreme body modification and perhaps cyborging, since that's the end result of all that poo poo anyway. Only way I can figure living without a jaw would to be as a cyborg. So, something like Caligula's Rome meets the Harkonnens (either from Lynch's film or the abandoned Jordowosky project) plus other stuff.

Of course, my first drawing is a simple recon craft, and thus isn't that gilded a lily, but I at least tried to incorporate the Stimpire into it's design...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhM1zOxxLOY

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Toops posted:

Goonrathi: Think millenium falcon in terms of weathered, stitched together but reliable/performant/functional ships.

Sperg: Ultra slick, super-luxury ships obsessed with outward appearance, superfluous flashy crap, with no consideration about how they'll fly or perform.

I like this

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Sperg ship cockpits should be full of dials and gauges and have a tiny letterbox view of the outside world.
Similarity to crazed as gently caress Nazi prototypes would be a bonus too.

Natter?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachem_Ba_349

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Toops posted:

Sperg ships could probably use an automated robot pilot as well, preferably one wearing a fedora and vaping.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

lazorexplosion posted:

Obviously the Sperg capital ship should literally fill 90% of the arena and stop anything else from actually spawning, as befits the PTU's actual instance limits. The other sperg ships could be modeled after ridiculous whale dream professions. For example the scout would obviously correspond to the Space Farmer, and it would have a suitably tiny space farming dome complete with single shrub. Probably best if it left a trail of miscellaneous fruit as it flew around.

This is gold, love that idea.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

"Todays Bensday is a bit tainted by the fat"

Real discrete there Batgirl

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I've already started drawing stuff up, but mostly Stimpire, because they're the most interesting. The idea for them would be to go as gaudy as possible, like Rome at the height of it's decadance, but incorporate the extreme body modification and perhaps cyborging, since that's the end result of all that poo poo anyway. Only way I can figure living without a jaw would to be as a cyborg. So, something like Caligula's Rome meets the Harkonnens (either from Lynch's film or the abandoned Jordowosky project) plus other stuff.

Of course, my first drawing is a simple recon craft, and thus isn't that gilded a lily, but I at least tried to incorporate the Stimpire into it's design...

There is no way the Fourth Stimpire would pad anything for comfort.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Freudian slip in the description?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sedisp posted:

Unless it is the worst type of comfort.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

I Greyhound posted:

Sperg ship should have the ability to vent the cargo room to convert illegal slaves into harmless legal corpses.

I can't wait to implement the "Stimperial Slave Flush" mechanic. Basically, throughout an arena match, the Stimpire (who run the arenas) will occasionally vent slaves out into the arena, which will be ragdoll humans, and you can either save or smash them. Obviously you'll only get arena points for smashing them. I need to think of a competing incentive to save them though... Maybe the T-Pose mass-driver weapon we were talking about earlier...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

These are cool and good.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Young Freud posted:

This is awesome.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

boviscopophobic posted:

Freudian slip in the description?

What, the "tainted by the fat" comment or the "Ben used that show and Chris' appearance on it to skate by many of my questions which made it very hard for me to actually come up with some that were not answered in a show I did not have the opportunity to watch"?

I'm getting convinced they're both conscious

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

This is good, but it needs a sea of cultists crying and wailing "Don't leave us Leader! Take us with you!" :reddit:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Repostin'. I love the stimpire stuff unironically. Can I make some things for this wonderful game?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

is excellent.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sillybones posted:

Repostin'. I love the stimpire stuff unironically. Can I make some things for this wonderful game?

YES PLEASE

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Plural Abysss posted:

I recently inherited my grandfather's WWII army uniform. I'll bet if someone were tasked with posing for a war bond picture, they might don a similarly acquired costume.

Call me crazy but if I were tasked with creating a war bond picture for a game set in the far-future, I would use some of the $111m of nerd cash to either illustrate or purchase a costume of a suitable futuristic style. Using the recognisable attire of a military force associated with mass genocide would come far down the list of options.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So why is the German guy cosplaying as a Nazi for the loving game art?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sedisp posted:

^^^ Literally the first thing that came to mind when I saw that. If anything, it would be lined with spikes. Electrical spikes, with the worst kind of electricity.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

KiddieGrinder posted:

This is good, but it needs a sea of cultists crying and wailing "Don't leave us Leader! Take us with you!" :reddit:

Kinda like???

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Toops posted:

This is awesome.

I wasn't sure if to go with Stimpire scout pilots to be temporarily decapitated to alleviate bodily concerns for long distance flights and high-gee maneuvering as well as discourage cowardly ejections or go with the scout ship to be as is with the pilot's seat being an exposed motorcycle seat, like the Stimpire has crammed all sorts of surveillance equipment, sensors, and weaponry but forgot at the last minute about crew quarters. Or it's all part of the Stimperor's "learn to breath vacuum" initiative

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Saitek just announced this monstrosity

Still being saitek its construction will probably be horrible and fall apart in less than a month but at the very least it looks more solid than the piece of crap they were trying to peddle to shittizens and still like a hundred bucks cheaper.

It looks like cheap knockoff of a TM Warthog. I guess Saitek is trying to undercut TM with a shittier product that looks the same so spergs will buy it without understanding what they're actually getting.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Oh btw guys, I have a high-level feature roadmap. It's still WIP, but figured I'd share it for open development purposes. Feel free to comment.

The intention is to track high-level features, releases, and whatever kind of marketing/pr efforts. The other trello board is basically managing tech-tasks.

https://trello.com/b/vjehVSS6/solar-plebeian-feature-roadmap

Toops fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 31, 2016

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Pilots are kept in a magazine of sorts exterior to the ship. As the current pilot goes permanently insane he is ejected at high velocity from the front of the ship and the next pilot is fed into the receiver. Such is life in the Stimpire.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I think a decorative trophy sabre tooth pelt affixed to one of the goonrathi's hulls

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

All of the stimpire ships weapons face its own pilot

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

I can't wait to implement the "Stimperial Slave Flush" mechanic. Basically, throughout an arena match, the Stimpire (who run the arenas) will occasionally vent slaves out into the arena, which will be ragdoll humans, and you can either save or smash them. Obviously you'll only get arena points for smashing them. I need to think of a competing incentive to save them though... Maybe the T-Pose mass-driver weapon we were talking about earlier...

It might be hell to make work, but a funny mechanic would be if you collected enough ragdoll men you could get a temporary T-Pose shield which would legit just be a bubble of T-posed spacemans around you that got knocked away if you took a hit/slowly fell apart over a set amount of time.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Call me crazy but if I were tasked with creating a war bond picture for a game set in the far-future, I would use some of the $111m of nerd cash to either illustrate or purchase a costume of a suitable futuristic style. Using the recognisable attire of a military force associated with mass genocide would come far down the list of options.

On the other hand, ripping a picture of some Nazi off the internet means they didn't pay somebody to take the time to render a dude/pay someone to pose in costume for a dumb one-off subscriber benefit.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Phi230 posted:

It looks like cheap knockoff of a TM Warthog. I guess Saitek is trying to undercut TM with a shittier product that looks the same so spergs will buy it without understanding what they're actually getting.

Eh, they already had the x55 for that.

I do like that their compatible software list is:
Elite Dangerous
Star citizen
Fsx
Fs9
Xplane
Elite Dangerous
Star Citizen
Etc....

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Young Freud posted:

I wasn't sure if to go with Stimpire scout pilots to be temporarily decapitated to alleviate bodily concerns for long distance flights and high-gee maneuvering as well as discourage cowardly ejections or go with the scout ship to be as is with the pilot's seat being an exposed motorcycle seat, like the Stimpire has crammed all sorts of surveillance equipment, sensors, and weaponry but forgot at the last minute about crew quarters. Or it's all part of the Stimperor's "learn to breath vacuum" initiative

I have no trouble at all believing that the Stimpire would set up some sort of pre-emptive Dragoon program for their scoutships. Torsos take up a bunch of room that is way better served by filling it with spikes and electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

On the other hand, ripping a picture of some Nazi off the internet means they didn't pay somebody to take the time to render a dude/pay someone to pose in costume for a dumb one-off subscriber benefit.

Any professional artist could knock something up in a couple of hours, at most.

In any case, you're creating assets associated with your game so they should all follow the same style. So either the Star Citizen lore uses military uniforms inspired by WW2 era German military, or it doesn't but they couldn't be arsed to create something which was in keeping with the rest of the game.

• Locked thread