Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

I'm incredibly embarrassed I ever thought there'd be an actual game.

Don't worry, they're changing it! After two years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhM1zOxxLOY&t=581s

They streamed the ship then individuals items across the network to different clients instead of just saying it's a Hornet4E56AADC ?

If this is what they do, and it appears to be the case, CIG is so screwed up words, emotions, thoughts cannot comprehend the insanity of game development. There truly is no limit to what they cannot accomplish.

Quick aside, many months ago, Beer said that CIG employees had to leave soon, lest they pick up a stench from the company. From the post on Derek's blog, it appears that there is now a prejudice against CIG employees.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Might be late to the party here but I'm guessing that the ELE is: the FTC have finally opened a book on CIG and have served them with some kind of investigation notice.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sometimes I feel like I need to smoke a cigarette after reading this thread, and I don't smoke.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

So what are the details about them rewriting the engine that runs the PU? Did they give any or did Chris just make a throwaway comment about how they're scrapping all of their work because they've spent the last 4 years slapping their dicks against their keyboards instead of designing a functional game?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm not sure anyone but Chris knows wtf anymore

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Daztek posted:

I'm not sure anyone but Chris knows wtf anymore

I'm pretty sure Chris has never known wtf at any point.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AP posted:

Well you'd think that if someone asked the heavens for another chance to prove they have what it takes and were written a blank check they'd try to get it right.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

I am on p2788.

When I get to the current last page (2798) that I am on now, for every loving Ryan Archer post that I see, I won't post for 1 day. e.g. if I see 10 posts after p2798, that's 10 days that I won't post.

And when I do come back, I will start reading from page count + number of days. Which means that every thing that came before, I will neither read, nor respond to.

So yeah, you loving idiots need to stop with this Ryan Archer poo poo and go create another thread for it.

That is all.

Nope. Normally I dont mind people being an rear end, its easy to overlook, but your post is filled with hate simply because... Your Ryan Archer arent you? 3000AD is all stolen Alpha Assets from Star Citizen isnt it?

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 31, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Gravity_Storm posted:

Might be late to the party here but I'm guessing that the ELE is: the FTC have finally opened a book on CIG and have served them with some kind of investigation notice.

That could be. I was thinking along other lines - there have been numerous reports of people who have gotten successful chargebacks mentioning that CIG was a known entity to certain banks. If the financial sector has gotten wind of what this company is up to, things can get really messy from a totally different direction than we may be expecting. Especially since they're sending emails to people intentionally misrepresenting what a chargeback is and is not for, hoping to intimidate them. If enough of those types of communications got into the right hands, CIG will be fighting a war on a front they're not remotely qualified to handle.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

G0RF posted:

Yeah that perked my ears up. I've been listening and driving and short posting but as far as I'm concerned this has been an info rich day between Bensday and AtV.

I'm not sure it got thread attention but it should have.

Money was both text and subtext of the whole data dump today. And Erin's interview put a fine point on another aspect, too. That CIG has built up their biggest dev op in the UK in response to the tax credit offer of the state. The message of course is "we are trying to make backer money goes as far as possible and chasing great tax incentives buys more for less."

This would - by itself - seem a promising sign they're being good stewards of funds. Yet the whole LA recentering shows the exact opposite-- we are actually incurring higher costs just for the sake of the boss's wife's Hollywood ambitions.

The backers will credit the former and not deduct the latter but a full accounting can't help but consider it yet another sign of their rank hypocrisy on such matters.

I'm still listening to the episode though-- taking it all in. I consider it all pretty meaningful, though it's boring as hell at the same time.

Rare seriouspost because I like shitposting in this thread far too much:

Can you give us a summation of the money-related changes once you've gone through the whole thing? The idea that they're removing the unmelting system once the shop is in place in-game is a couple screaming red flags all by itself, especially as that was a massively contentious system of its own and just jettisoning it altogether is not going to cause CIG to gain any goodwill. People were very upset with the implementation initially, and CIG tried to deflect heat onto Turbulent, so I'm very curious what your estimation of the incoming money/store changes is.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

Well you'd think that if someone asked the heavens for another chance to prove they have what it takes and were written a blank check they'd try to get it right.

That's why Chris was smart, and instead asked a bunch of yes-men who had even less knowledge of, or ability to judge, game design than he did.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

You missed the point. But hey, it makes no difference to me either way.

I like having you around and have spoken up for you more than once but if you are going to talk to us like we are your personal army then gently caress off. You've been pimping this ELE poo poo for a week now, if all the thread had to go on was your predictions then we'd be truly hosed. We are your allies not your vassals, you don't get to dictate what we can post about.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323899/is-there-a-hide-feature

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

Sorry Mr smart but Ryan archer is tied to star citizen. If you had asked nicely I would have been all for a separate thread but Ryan archer is now one with this awful thread.

I'm sure he'd be a lot more upset with Mr Archer if he'd ripped off any of his stuff.

But then again, it's just so difficult to trace hot air.

:gary:

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

I was thinking about the much touted E.L.E. and all the things Derek has been hinting about it, the fact that it has to be 1) Dramatic enough to start the downfall of CIG but also 2) Something that CIG could get away with not acknowledging...

This means that it cant be something that would come out immediately (damaging tell-all magazine article, resignation letter going public, etc.), which would allow CIG to pretend it isnt happening until forced to do so, such as... hmmm.

Would a freshly resigned employee going to the authorities and telling them what they know about illegal activities within the company fit the bill?

Hot or cold Derek?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

I like having you around and have spoken up for you more than once but if you are going to talk to us like we are your personal army then gently caress off. You've been pimping this ELE poo poo for a week now, if all the thread had to go on was your predictions then we'd be truly hosed. We are your allies not your vassals, you don't get to dictate what we can post about.

I almost wonder if Ryan Archer is his source.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

grimcreaper posted:

So basically his source was deviantart.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Chalks posted:

I'm sure he'd be a lot more upset with Mr Archer if he'd ripped off any of his stuff.

But then again, it's just so difficult to trace hot air.

:gary:

So true. Also phone edit deleted that part of my post because im dumb or something.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

Ryan Archer is reading Derek's blog from back in october, changing a few words and sending them as CONFIDENTIAL SECRET INFO back to Derek

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

StarBegotten posted:

I was thinking about the much touted E.L.E. and all the things Derek has been hinting about it, the fact that it has to be 1) Dramatic enough to start the downfall of CIG but also 2) Something that CIG could get away with not acknowledging...

This means that it cant be something that would come out immediately (damaging tell-all magazine article, resignation letter going public, etc.), which would allow CIG to pretend it isnt happening until forced to do so, such as... hmmm.

Would a freshly resigned employee going to the authorities and telling them what they know about illegal activities within the company fit the bill?

Hot or cold Derek?

It would have to have the elements you stated, along with the belief from CIG that it's something they can "handle" - something that's not public and that could eventually blow over. (The backers don't have to know etc.) This is why I believe it's some sort of investigation - something the lawyers would just tell Chris "keep on with what you're doing, we'll take care of this legal poo poo" and he, being the consummate dumbass he is, believes it and keeps on truckin' to nowhere.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Daztek posted:

Ryan Archer is reading Derek's blog from back in october, changing a few words and sending them as CONFIDENTIAL SECRET INFO back to Derek

I really want to believe this now.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/324824/update-to-concern-forum-thread-requirements

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the ryan archer sidequest is the best sidequest in this game, it helps us all to level up before we take on the endgame CIG final form

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
It's not often they surprise me, they had a rubberbanding problem just as AC first released and they didn't fix this network stupidity then. Instead they added shitloads of items and ships using the stupid system.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

D_Smart posted:

I am on p2788.

When I get to the current last page (2798) that I am on now, for every loving Ryan Archer post that I see, I won't post for 1 day. e.g. if I see 10 posts after p2798, that's 10 days that I won't post.

And when I do come back, I will start reading from page count + number of days. Which means that every thing that came before, I will neither read, nor respond to.

So yeah, you loving idiots need to stop with this Ryan Archer poo poo and go create another thread for it.

That is all.

I'm only on p2799 but I wanted to quote this bitchboi post too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sausage citizen

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

D_Smart posted:

In fairness to others, I have to re-think my position.

So new rules. For every loving Ryan Archer post, which means 1 day of my not posting AND skipping pages, I want to see at least 4 non-RA posts. So that's a good ratio and it means that I won't miss that many pages.

But seriously, unlike my reading every page religiously, if this RA bullshit continues, even with the above ratio, it just means a lot of skipped pages containing stuff directed at me; and which will never get replies.

ps. E.L.E. in-bound

Maybe Ryan Archer can poorly photoshop some balls on you.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhM1zOxxLOY&t=1174s

lol@ Batgirl being concerned about terrorist attacks on CIG Europe. It's the backers they should be worried about.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ZenMaster posted:

I'm the lonely and desperate attempt to start a thread on Line of Defense that was ignored completely.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

I'm going to miss every screenshot from the concern forums having a 100% "No" response to "do you think this is an important concern"

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

AP posted:

:same:

The more I think about their network architecture, CryEngine, and everything they said they wanted to do, combined with Roberts admitting that merely having AI ships provided an immense load on servers, makes me realise that this was never going to happen. Derek was right, they'd either need their own engine, or something highly customisable like UE4 that they can contract out deep customisations to in order to even support a reasonable instance size. The idea that it takes 5MB of server data to spawn a Retaliator is a loving joke, and it makes me wonder exactly how much data is forced to stream from one client, to the server, to another client to even get you to see someone else flying around.

It shouldn't surprise me at this point, rolling out the jankiest of a 'Baby PU' while the goddamn flight mechanics were still fudged all to poo poo and the basic match netcode was hosed should have prepared me for the depths of the mismanagement here, but somehow I'm still taken aback by this game.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm about 10 pages back but wanted to say that Toops should include at least one space train in the Sperg faction. Even better if it isn't actually steerable and just runs in a circle around the arena, stopping at certain points. I'm not sure if this is feasible, but it could also be immune to normal weapon damage but instead explodes of its own accord if another player makes it late for 3 stops in a row.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

D_Smart posted:

I am on p2788.

That is all.

Ahahaha no, you can gently caress right back on off of this forum if you're going to be a little crybaby about some genuine funny poo poo going on all while you've been posting white noise for the last few days.

Edit: that last bit is unfair actually. You have posted more discussion than that lately. Guess I got too annoyed at your old 'just wait three days' schtick. As to the quote though, that was still a real dumb thing you posted.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 31, 2016

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
lmfao who is this

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Driving again but I can't believe what Erin said about the Idris.

It's supposedly done-- but there is a debate internally about whether to release it to the PTU before SQ42 is released! For the sake of keeping the surprise reveal!

How much has been spent? How long have the megawhales waited? Well sorry -- you can wait longer because we want it to be a surprise to the guy who spends $60 for SQ42.

They're insane. Absolutely insane.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

runsamok posted:

I would like to lodge a complaint about nobody commenting on my cattes or recipes.

Maybe you should go 2-in-1 and try posting some catte recipes.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I hope they switch over to Unity 5.

And that Sean Tracy, the CryEngine "evangelist", sticks around and explains why this is a "good thing".

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

Hey if anyone has a bit of spare time, I'm in need of ship concept art for the three races for Solar Plebeian. The working idea is each race has their own variants of the same ship classes. Below is my wish list. The idea of having 15 different original, fully modeled ships is overly ambitious, and I just need one class per race for what I'm calling the "Alpha 0.1.0 vertical slice".

But the concept art for as much as possible will help arrive at a theme. Although I'm a visual person, I'm not visually creative (if that makes sense). If I try to do it, I'll just end up Archering it. So mainly I'm looking for consistent themes for the three races.

Races:
- Goonrathi
- Sperg
- Stimpire

Classes:
- Scout
- Fighter
- Corvette
- Cruiser
- Capital

Any ideas/artwork, whether serious or not, would be either helpful or funny.

Is the current Ramparp ship a Goonrathi Scout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

D_Smart posted:

I am on p2788.

That is all.

How about you go gently caress yourself. The only thing bigger than Lesnick is your loving ego.

• Locked thread