Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

He means that Reunthal being voiced by a god-tier actor goes a long way towards making you enjoy the character

To be honest, when the voice acting is not in my own language I tend not to listen to the actual VA, instead focussing harder on the musical scoring, the subtitles, and the scenery, so I cannot and probably would not recognise Reuental, Yang, Reinhard, or even my darling red head wonder, Kircheis. If I saw another show where Reuental's actor cropped up, without the actors actual face, I would be extremely unlikely to actually recognise the VA from somewhere else.

e; if you might wonder why I ignore the VA of unfamiliar languages, it is because I would rather spend my efforts focussing in on things I can interpret and understand. Because I do not know how natural, native Japanese speech sounds, I couldn't tell if a VA is good or bad really.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Another Person posted:

To be honest, when the voice acting is not in my own language I tend not to listen to the actual VA, instead focussing harder on the musical scoring, the subtitles, and the scenery, so I cannot and probably would not recognise Reuental, Yang, Reinhard, or even my darling red head wonder, Kircheis. If I saw another show where Reuental's actor cropped up, without the actors actual face, I would be extremely unlikely to actually recognise the VA from somewhere else.

e; if you might wonder why I ignore the VA of unfamiliar languages, it is because I would rather spend my efforts focussing in on things I can interpret and understand. Because I do not know how natural, native Japanese speech sounds, I couldn't tell if a VA is good or bad really.

Emotion is universal. We may not be able to understand the words, but the emotional content of the spoken word can convey a LOT of information, regardless of whether or not we understand the specifics of what is being said.

Though, if that isn't your thing, you do you boo boo. This show is great anyway.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Emotion is universal. We may not be able to understand the words, but the emotional content of the spoken word can convey a LOT of information, regardless of whether or not we understand the specifics of what is being said.

Though, if that isn't your thing, you do you boo boo. This show is great anyway.

I pay attention to the sound of it, so naturally I can pick out emotion. Just not any effort into trying to recognise voices, phrases, etc., because I know I will never really recognise them. Like, it is pretty hard to not notice for example, someone bawling on screen. But I probably could not tell you the difference of quality between two voice actors who are trying to VA a line where their character is supposed to be stressed or unhappy or something like that if it was in another language. I don't really know how the sentence would sound normally, nor would I pick up stiff or wooden acting.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 31, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Madmarker posted:

Reuenthal is not a guy who puts a lot of easily read emotion into his words. He spits venom a few times, but usually he was one of those Japanese General archetypes.

That said, I think you're still subconsciously recognizing and interpreting verbal tones and poo poo. LoGH has a lot of monologues though...

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Reuenthal is not a guy who puts a lot of easily read emotion into his words. He spits venom a few times, but usually he was one of those Japanese General archetypes.

That said, I think you're still subconsciously recognizing and interpreting verbal tones and poo poo. LoGH has a lot of monologues though...

If I put a lot more time into watching purely Japanese shows, then I would probably be able to pick up on emotional acting quality in that language more easily, but as is I do not really watch much anime at all. I was the guy who came into this having watched very, very little anime.

And even then, while I like Reuental because he is a cool looking dude, we haven't seen much of him yet. I expect he will become a mainstay as Reinhard accumulates more and more power, just because he seems central to the current group Reinhard is running. Him and Mittermeyer being recommended to take Kircheis' slot as right hand in the navy says that they have a lot of curried favour. Right now I haven't really heard him talk much, so I haven't really even had much of a chance to get to know his VA at all. He has probably had like 8 lines?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Another Person posted:

Anyway, that is just my read.
That's pretty much my take on it as well and I think is probably the best way to approach the show's large and varied cast. There's so much more you can get into once you're finished with the show but it's something that goes beyond just Yang vs. Reinhard, arguably even beyond democracy vs. dictatorship. I wasn't being completely facetious with the comparison to The Wire, which of course had a huge number of characters on many sides of conflicts with an infinite number of shades of gray.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Raku posted:

Yang anticipated the entire scenario, so of course he would have issued orders to be stockpiling rations.

How? His soldiers eat just as fast as other fleets'. 50 million civilians needed food. Did Yang just ignore the order to supply the civvies in the first place so they wouldn't get angry about food being taken back later?

DamnGlitch posted:

Yup. Presumably thats why the show took the rare look away from the central characters to a one off story about an unprepared fleet.

ALL other Alliance Fleets suffered the same problem, including Bucock's, IIRC. What did Yang do, without any additional resources, that everyone else was too stupid to do?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Another Person posted:

If I put a lot more time into watching purely Japanese shows, then I would probably be able to pick up on emotional acting quality in that language more easily, but as is I do not really watch much anime at all. I was the guy who came into this having watched very, very little anime.

And even then, while I like Reuental because he is a cool looking dude, we haven't seen much of him yet. I expect he will become a mainstay as Reinhard accumulates more and more power, just because he seems central to the current group Reinhard is running. Him and Mittermeyer being recommended to take Kircheis' slot as right hand in the navy says that they have a lot of curried favour. Right now I haven't really heard him talk much, so I haven't really even had much of a chance to get to know his VA at all. He has probably had like 8 lines?

Yep yep, that makes total sense. Reuental is cool because of his rising prominence in the later part of the series. Most of Reinhardt's "cabinet" get at least a little vignette, but Mittermeyer and Reuental become serious characters.

I really like that the series ends with Mittermeyer, he was a person of virtue, and I think he's just overall a good guy.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

KlavoHunter posted:

ALL other Alliance Fleets suffered the same problem, including Bucock's, IIRC. What did Yang do, without any additional resources, that everyone else was too stupid to do?

According to the book the only riots happened on planets that the 7th Fleet was responsible for. Shortly before the attack Yang is talking with the commander of the 10th Fleet who notes he still has about a week of supplies left.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If I remember correctly, you also see them just handing out large boxes of supplies rather than rationing it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'm kind of amazed, after reading the book, that the show was so...vague...on how the Alliance government functioned, to the point of neglecting to mention that Trunicht, like Lebello etc. were basically Cabinet Ministers in a Parliamentary government, behind a Prime Minister, Royal Sunford, who isn't even named in the series. And that Trunicht used the "I opposed the invasion" card to become Prime Minister after the huge defeat of the invasion (the other two opponents, Lebello and the Vietnamese-named guy whose name I keep forgetting also advanced).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Patter Song posted:

And that Trunicht used the "I opposed the invasion" card to become Prime Minister after the huge defeat of the invasion (the other two opponents, Lebello and the Vietnamese-named guy whose name I keep forgetting also advanced).

You are right about the other stuff, but the series does mention the point about Trunicht using his minority (and cynical) opposition to the dispatch as spring board politically.

As for some of the vagueries in the series, I'm not surprised some of the even more dry material was cut. I'm excited to read the book, because those elaborations are what makes it interesting, considering how faithful the show is for the most part.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Patter Song posted:

I'm kind of amazed, after reading the book, that the show was so...vague...on how the Alliance government functioned, to the point of neglecting to mention that Trunicht, like Lebello etc. were basically Cabinet Ministers in a Parliamentary government, behind a Prime Minister, Royal Sunford, who isn't even named in the series. And that Trunicht used the "I opposed the invasion" card to become Prime Minister after the huge defeat of the invasion (the other two opponents, Lebello and the Vietnamese-named guy whose name I keep forgetting also advanced).

Santford does show up once pretty early in the series, it's in the episode where the council meets to rubber-stamp the invasion plan.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Patter Song posted:

To the podcasters: one reason you might already like Reuenthal is because he's voiced by the great Norio Wakamoto, who is basically ADTRW's patron saint.

I knew I felt Wakamoto's presence in there! I just couldn't place from where, for whatever reason. Probably because he hasn't really spoken very much AFAIK.

Anyway, here's the finale. The format is weird, but I hope it doesn't take away any enjoyment you might get from it. Thanks for listening, everyone!

Audio Version
YouTube Version

(And if you're interested, please help us decide on what to watch for our second season. The poll winner won't for sure be what we watch, but it'll help us decide. http://bit.ly/AKS02POLL)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Good last ep. If you guys ever do decide you want more LOGH let us know.

I am very curious to see how the books handle Reinhard in ep 26 basically throwing down the gauntlet to Reuenthal and saying that if he ever wants to try to seize power, come at me bro. It's a fascinating scene because Reuenthal has been such a nonentity that it feels totally out of the blue, but I like the idea that Reuenthal just caught a glimpse of Reinhard in a moment of unguarded vulnerability and grief. Even if Reuenthal wasn't important yet, hearing Reinhard say that makes him important.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Good last ep. If you guys ever do decide you want more LOGH let us know.

I am very curious to see how the books handle Reinhard in ep 26 basically throwing down the gauntlet to Reuenthal and saying that if he ever wants to try to seize power, come at me bro. It's a fascinating scene because Reuenthal has been such a nonentity that it feels totally out of the blue, but I like the idea that Reuenthal just caught a glimpse of Reinhard in a moment of unguarded vulnerability and grief. Even if Reuenthal wasn't important yet, hearing Reinhard say that makes him important.

If you want more LOGH poo poo, just hit me up. I will be going on to watch the rest of the show and could record my thoughts on it as I go by if you want (it doesn't take much work for me), and probably find other people who would join in (more work, but more fun). It probably would not be a 4 episode per session deal tho.

e; If I went solo, I would probably script it a little better with a list of things to discuss so there is less "errr" like this one, because I recorded this in a hell of a rush.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 4, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even just checking in to this thread from time to time as you plug along to post your thoughts is fun/fine enough as it were since, well, that's what the thread is for in the first place.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Patter Song posted:

Good last ep.

Oh good. I was worried that it being a kinda disjointed, weird asynchronous thing would make it an unappealing listen. I'm glad my worry was unfounded.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have any of you seen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? That might be a neat show to give a watch for Anime Kiwi.

Based on this recording of AK, might I suggest sticking to a single season or cour of a show for a given stretch of AK episodes, and then continuing if you enjoyed that part enough? Might open up some other longer series without forcing an expectance of a commitment to the entirety.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've seen it. It's good. I'll be doing season 2 with cat doter, so if he wants to keep going after that maybe I'll pitch it to him. I think we want to stick 1-2 cour things for a bit, though.

But if I do a longer series again I'm definitely not going to commit to it going in blind. Gonna give it the ol' 3 or 5 ep test in my own time first.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I would do a 26 ep series like tiger and bunny

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We're definitely open to 2 cour series. Mononoke is one of the shows we're looking at doing for season 2.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Panty and Stocking is the right anime for you guys IMO

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I somehow never didn't consider that one when I was making the poll. D:

(I should also be clear that season 2 will just be me and cat doter, from the movie specials)

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

mikeycp posted:

We're definitely open to 2 cour series. Mononoke is one of the shows we're looking at doing for season 2.

The Ghibli one or the Toei one?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Khagan posted:

The Ghibli one or the Toei one?

Toei. Though I do want to show doter the Ghibli one too since he's never seen it and it's amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Panty and Stocking is the right anime for you guys IMO

Oh man, that would be a hell of a trip. Sub or dub, though? Both are fantastic

It's an incredible take on a western style fired off at a machine gun pace

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Cool, the LoGH author got interviewed by Forbes.

Fun quote:

quote:

Finishing off I asked what Tanaka enjoy doing in terms of hobbies and what hopes he had for the future, “I enjoy bundling up in bed and napping during the winter or when it’s cold. Right now, I’m pretty captivated by the American presidential election.”

so am i, tanaka-sensei, so am i

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Replace Trump with Trunicht. Think anyone would notice the difference?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Trunicht is classier and less grotesque.

Watching american politics from afar must be somehow more mind boggling than being in the bullshit midst of it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i'm started watching again a couple days ago, I'm about halfway through season 2 now, boy this anime is good. I am depressed by all the talk of failing democracy, although I appreciated the entire episode dedicated to reminding the audience that Reinhardt doing an okay job doesn't mean dictators and fascism are good and cool

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I'm going through the book right now and I realized there's a way to reconcile the "women aren't in combat in the future" and "homosexuality is bad in the future" parts that Tanaka almost certainly didn't intend.

You can see them as saying that "progress isn't a given". Even though humanity has gone to the stars, they've regressed in many ways. The degeneracy of the Empire and the current Alliance administration are examples, but the sexism and homophobia are symptoms. You can kinda compare it to the game Analogue: A Hate Story where a Korean colony ship goes full Joseon Korea as the end result of trying to control a civilian population in a restricted space. Compare also the relative freedom of women in Iran before and after the Islamic Revolution, which had valid aims against the monarchy.

In that way the whole "deeds of men stay the same" also says that if we aren't careful, we will sink into discrimination again. Hatred and violence against the other only cease to exist if we safeguard against them. That doesn't mean there isn't hope even in the darkness of discrimination, just as (ending spoilers) democracy endures on Heinessen (and perhaps even in the Empire) in the end. Democracy acts as a check against power in the same way education acts as a check against oppression.

Obviously this is very "death of the author" but I feel it's easier to read for me this way.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, how long do you think it'll be before there's a Stellaris mod?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Sandman posted:

So, how long do you think it'll be before there's a Stellaris mod?

Well, do you think the FPA is individualist or-

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

There's already an Amlitzer system in the base game, so presumably not too long :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gyre posted:

I'm going through the book right now and I realized there's a way to reconcile the "women aren't in combat in the future" and "homosexuality is bad in the future" parts that Tanaka almost certainly didn't intend.

You can see them as saying that "progress isn't a given". Even though humanity has gone to the stars, they've regressed in many ways. The degeneracy of the Empire and the current Alliance administration are examples, but the sexism and homophobia are symptoms. You can kinda compare it to the game Analogue: A Hate Story where a Korean colony ship goes full Joseon Korea as the end result of trying to control a civilian population in a restricted space. Compare also the relative freedom of women in Iran before and after the Islamic Revolution, which had valid aims against the monarchy.

In that way the whole "deeds of men stay the same" also says that if we aren't careful, we will sink into discrimination again. Hatred and violence against the other only cease to exist if we safeguard against them. That doesn't mean there isn't hope even in the darkness of discrimination, just as (ending spoilers) democracy endures on Heinessen (and perhaps even in the Empire) in the end. Democracy acts as a check against power in the same way education acts as a check against oppression.

Obviously this is very "death of the author" but I feel it's easier to read for me this way.

It's not any kind of stretch. We currently live in a world where hardly any women participate in frontline combat relative to the number of men who do so. The fact that there are a lot of people in our time who complain about the unequal treatment meted out to women in our society doesn't change this actual fact. Our society isn't whatsoever safeguarded against discrimination and demonization of others as a whole. Similarly LoGH portrays two societies where hardly any women participate in frontline combat relative to the number of men who do so, and these societies aren't whatsoever safeguarded from discrimination and demonization of others. LoGH portrays "modernity" as it is rather than as it would like to be seen.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

There's already an Amlitzer system in the base game, so presumably not too long :v:

Ran across Rantemario and Astarte too, so somebody at Paradox has at the very least been cribbing star system names.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Well, we knew there was an LoGH fan there when they added an achievement to EUIV called "The Fezzan Corridor".

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Sandman posted:

Well, we knew there was an LoGH fan there when they added an achievement to EUIV called "The Fezzan Corridor".

Didn't know about this, that's pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Just want to say that there were 8 new chapters of Legends of the Galactic Heros manga uploaded earlier today. Covering Reinhardo and Siegofrido adventure on the icy planet of Kapche-Lanka.