Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's kind of what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I'm guessing it's not explained well in the movie.

Side note: How often do you think Steve's Grandpa Nolte ranted about these images on Facebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheFallenEvincar posted:

"IM GONNA GIT YOUR SHOE SIZE; HRGGhhhhh!!!"- Steve Sajdak

ARE YOU BODY SHAMING THIS 30 YEAR OLD CARTOON?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's kind of what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I'm guessing it's not explained well in the movie.

Side note: How often do you think Steve's Grandpa Nolte ranted about these images on Facebook?

AW GODDAMUT

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I'm just getting around to listening to the BvS episode today.

How, exactly, does The Gotham Bat convince people in prison to kill people he's branded? Like, does he have plants or something?

I'm really curious sometimes when people post things like this: do you even really pay attention to the movies you watch? I know this sounds insulting, but I'm not trying to be. They state clearly in the move that he has branded one criminal previously, the guy was a pedophile and he was killed, the second guy he brands in the movie is a human trafficker (also likely dealing in child sex slaves). Alfred asks about this new thing he's doing, so it's clear its new.

As far as "how is he convincing people in prison to kill them", it's pretty clear he doesn't have some kind of deal with a prisoner, but in movie land typically when a child sex offender is sent to prison, the prisoners usually beat up or kill the offender. Batman was clearly marking them so they'd stand out more in prison and become targets.

How do these things get missed? It's not even like a subtle subtext, it's stated out loud in the movie.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

As far as "how is he convincing people in prison to kill them", it's pretty clear he doesn't have some kind of deal with a prisoner, but in movie land typically when a child sex offender is sent to prison, the prisoners usually beat up or kill the offender. Batman was clearly marking them so they'd stand out more in prison and become targets.
Not even just in movie land - a guy here in Taiwan murdered a child the other day, and in the first couple days of him being held before trial, a bunch of the triads decided they'd take turns beating the poo poo out of him. Made the papers and all.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Triads are the most underrated gangsters. You see Yakuza and Italians and the Irish Mob and even the loving Amish Mafia in stuff now but the only things with Triads I can think of (outside of HK cinema) are Sleeping Dogs and Black Lagoon.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

I'm really curious sometimes when people post things like this: do you even really pay attention to the movies you watch? I know this sounds insulting, but I'm not trying to be. They state clearly in the move that he has branded one criminal previously, the guy was a pedophile and he was killed, the second guy he brands in the movie is a human trafficker (also likely dealing in child sex slaves). Alfred asks about this new thing he's doing, so it's clear its new.

How do these things get missed? It's not even like a subtle subtext, it's stated out loud in the movie.

It's stupid. As you've stated, those types of crimes are targeted by prisoners all the time. Is it even related to the branding? It's just a dumb part of the movie to make Batman 'badass.'

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BlameSpacePod posted:

It's stupid. As you've stated, those types of crimes are targeted by prisoners all the time. Is it even related to the branding? It's just a dumb part of the movie to make Batman 'badass.'

No, it's to get Clark interested in Batman. It's the new thing Batman is doing that gives a reason for Clark to suddenly care about the crazy dude loving around in Gotham for the last 20 years or so.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BlameSpacePod posted:

That's not at all the point of my post. It's that I'm always surprised at the things people miss from movies. Not like SMG themes or subtext items, but clear obvious on screen things.

BlameSpacePod posted:

It's a literal representation of how in the last 18 months Batman has become more needlessly cruel.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

That's not at all the point of my post. It's that I'm always surprised at the things people miss from movies. Not like SMG themes or subtext items, but clear obvious on screen things.

It's a literal representation of how in the last 18 months Batman has become more needlessly cruel.

Not highlighting it does not mean miss.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BlameSpacePod posted:

Not highlighting it does not mean miss.

Hey, just to be clear, I'm referencing this guy's post, not calling him an idiot or a fool because "NOT MY BATMAN" but I"m always surprised how much people miss when they watch a movie.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I'm just getting around to listening to the BvS episode today.

How, exactly, does The Gotham Bat convince people in prison to kill people he's branded? Like, does he have plants or something?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

People seem to be way too invested in my posting in this thread lately.

Not sure how I feel about that.

e: I haven't seen the movie myself, I'm just listening to the episode.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Hey, just to be clear, I'm referencing this guy's post, not calling him an idiot or a fool because "NOT MY BATMAN" but I"m always surprised how much people miss when they watch a movie.

Am I missing something, where does he day he watched the movie?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, that makes more sense. Didn't know you hadn't seen it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you use quotation marks when quoting the episode, it'll be a lot less confusing for everyone.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, that makes more sense. Didn't know you hadn't seen it.
We cool. :)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I mean it's true that those guys get it worst, but if I were a criminal who had been put in prison by Batman the Bat of Gotham, I would deliberately avoid hurting that guy as a "gently caress you" to Batman the Bat of Gotham.

Also yes, it is overly edgy and dumb as others have said.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean it's true that those guys get it worst, but if I were a criminal who had been put in prison by Batman the Bat of Gotham, I would deliberately avoid hurting that guy as a "gently caress you" to Batman the Bat of Gotham.

Also yes, it is overly edgy and dumb as others have said.

The idea is that what Batman is doing has widespread popular support, but it's doing less than nothing. He says himself he's down to the bone on the absolute scum of society yet Gotham is as crimeridden as ever. Killing child molestors in prison is a certain kind of "justice".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is it bad that I kinda want an episode of Trickter, Keanu, and Bruce all getting together and complaining about Jeremy, Brian, and Greg?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I just want to Wishbone into that letter so I can witness the agony and the ecstacy of Greg's Big Day firsthand

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd have to see the movie again, but there's another possible explanation for the bat brand. Batman is only there to brand the second guy because he's trying to track down the White Portuguese. The guy he brands doesn't have the info he needs and it's possible he's actually branding people involved in the informant chain that he's working on. Yes, this guy is a human trafficker and the other guy branded was also a total piece of poo poo, but they're all part of the trail leading to Luthor, who Batman also brings a brand for. Only seen the movie once though, so I could be super wrong.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Eric if you're reading this: Congrats, I had no interest in Zach Snyder's latest lovely offering but thanks to you guys I'm gonna watch the 200+ Minute Fuckoff Overkill Cut when it gets dumped on us. Thanks a bunch.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just finished listening to the episode, and it's funny how Steve (I think it was Steve?) pointed out that the production company should have waited to see the reaction to BvS before commiting to the rest of the movies, because it was announced today that they're doing emergency reshoots to make Suicide Squad "more fun". Apparently all the comedy bits in the trailers were all the comedy bits in the movie itself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's a bummer, quality aside I like the idea of not everyone trying to copy the dominant comic book movie company's tone. Then it all becomes so one note. I'd rather have crappy "grimdark" but different than everyone racing to copy or modify based on what they think the big comic book movie format is at the time. gotta have more jokes!!!! Cram em in!!
Hopefully there's a trend of ultra violent rated R movies because of Deadpool so at least people are copying TWO "styles" of comic book movie

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Any chance of comically bad wigs for Suicide Squad reshoots ala Fantastic Four?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The reshoot thing got debunked afaik. Take Devin Faraci with a grain of salt, especially regarding DC stuff.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I also have vague memories of The Raccoons.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is it bad that I kinda want an episode of Trickter, Keanu, and Bruce all getting together and complaining about Jeremy, Brian, and Greg?

Gotta get Cobra Commander and Errand Boy in there too

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The reshoot thing got debunked afaik. Take Devin Faraci with a grain of salt, especially regarding DC stuff.
Also don't take his lovely podcast, even with several grains of salt.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

it was announced today that they're doing emergency reshoots to make Suicide Squad "more fun". Apparently all the comedy bits in the trailers were all the comedy bits in the movie itself.
No it wasn't and anyone who actually believed this is even before it was debunked is gullible af.

Squallege posted:

As soon as they said Cyril Sneer I drat near had flashbacks. I don't even know how but I can still picture that deformed Q*Bert in my head.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Squallege posted:

I was barely born when the 80s raccoons cartoon came out, but I also had the weird realization that I'd seen it after looking it up on youtube. It must have been a staple of low-rent channels all over the place for awhile

The main thing I remember is being super freaked out by the noses that looked like someone grabbed a hold of them and snapped them into unnatural formations. What the gently caress 1980s canadian animation :ohdear:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Eh possibly, but to be fair whoever his sources have been on DC stuff they've been legit.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Eh, anyone would think it was April Fool's Day.... :rolleye:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 1, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I love that The Noid is working its way into the stable of characters on WHM. No impression yet, though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had to listen to the IRL raccoon encounter twice because I was laughing my rear end off

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

flesh dance posted:

I was barely born when the 80s raccoons cartoon came out, but I also had the weird realization that I'd seen it after looking it up on youtube. It must have been a staple of low-rent channels all over the place for awhile
Racoons was the same company that did Animalympics, wasn't it? I remember a lot of those style of cartoons being on cable back in the day.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Evil Mastermind posted:

Racoons was the same company that did Animalympics, wasn't it? I remember a lot of those style of cartoons being on cable back in the day.

No, Animalympics was made by Steve Lisberger, who would direct Tron. It wasn't Canadian.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Corek posted:

No, Animalympics was made by Steve Lisberger, who would direct Tron. It wasn't Canadian.
I guess I thought it was because it was the same time as stuff like The Racoons and Rock 'n Rule.

(Dammit, this thread is making me feel stupid lately :()

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

(Dammit, this thread is making me feel stupid lately :()

WHM is great at making me feel stupid :v: it wasn't until I started listening to the show that I realized I had been conflating the movies The Principal and The Substitute in my head for years. I was totally convinced that I had seen a movie where Jim Belushi drove a motorcycle into a school and then killed a bunch of hooligans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DoombatINC posted:

I was totally convinced that I had seen a movie where Jim Belushi drove a motorcycle into a school and then killed a bunch of hooligans.

I know for a fact I have seen this movie 13 years ago when I was living in a hotel.