Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Llab posted:

Well, if either of you ever loses your audio, you can pull a Kuvo and just ad-lib it. I doubt anybody would ever notice.

It actually happened once...
...we re-did everything

DMC on max difficulty doesn't look hard in AccountingNightmare's videos either :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
I know why that little bit outside the window where you get stuck is for, it's to clean the window/bars. The attention to detail in Blood Omen 2's environment design in amazing and really should've bumped the game up to appear on some top 100 games ever lists.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
The vampire you're chasing is Marcus. We've met Sebastian but don't fight him until later.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Whatever his name is, he's finally dead. Yay, by update 13 we're barely a third into the game. Blood Omen 2 is an unnecessarily long game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In the second stage of that boss "fight", you can actually through the henchmen into the bells with the grab move to stun him. In fact, I thought that you had to do that, but shockingly this game is so well designed you can apparently ignore the puzzle part of a puzzle fight.

Upside, we're now past the worst boss fight! Downside, none of the coming boss fights are actually good.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Crowetron posted:

In the second stage of that boss "fight", you can actually through the henchmen into the bells with the grab move to stun him. In fact, I thought that you had to do that, but shockingly this game is so well designed you can apparently ignore the puzzle part of a puzzle fight.

Upside, we're now past the worst boss fight! Downside, none of the coming boss fights are actually good.

HA! I KNEW IT! I KNEW THERE WAS A WAY TO HIT THE BELLS!

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Did the game ever actually cover why Umah needs to be "rescued" to give this information, when she could have just used that Whisper thing to tell them?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
No, it is not.
However, I have a theory: it would not be a proper action-adventure game if there wasn't a girl to save from the clutches of the big bad.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I don't know if there was some subconscious cue in the video or not but I was just thinking you should start using the Grab attack and then you did. Maybe the big axe thing is what made me think of it.

I think the best way to get through the fights against (but tough) regular enemies is to hit your enemy with two swipes, hit the grab button, do two of the hitting attacks, then finish off with the grab-execution.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 28, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think Marcus was stunned by the bells in the same way that the Sound Glyph in Soul Reaver stuns vampires. Though why it wouldn't also affect Kain I have no idea.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Because he's Kain :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
We talk of a variety of different topics, including:
- explosives;
- alcohol;
- Russian dashcam videos;
- visas.

As you may see, BO2 is not in the list. As you may have realized by this point, the game is somewhat monotonous.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Also, PSA: I'll be soloing more updates from now on. I want to be done with BO2 no later than the middle of April and I am already about to drive my head through a wall with how drat tedious and monotonous the game is. As such, expect more prolonged rants

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Because he's Kain :v:

remember that comment for something that's still very far away. There is a plot point where I literally cannot think of an explanation that isn't this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, totally. If you think the game is stupid now, just you wait.

Zeathian
Mar 16, 2016
I don't even remember this level being in the game despite beating it twice.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zeathian posted:

I don't even remember this level being in the game despite beating it twice.
It is kinda amazing just how forgettable most of this game is. I replayed the whole LoK series recently after some 8 years and BO1, SR1, SR2 & Defiance were pretty much exactly like how I remembered them. But with BO2 I constantly had a "I don't remember this section at all" or "Huh, I recall this bit being about half as long" feeling going on.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

It is kinda amazing just how forgettable most of this game is. I replayed the whole LoK series recently after some 8 years and BO1, SR1, SR2 & Defiance were pretty much exactly like how I remembered them. But with BO2 I constantly had a "I don't remember this section at all" or "Huh, I recall this bit being about half as long" feeling going on.

Actually, now that I think of it, this is probably the reason why many people (including Zain and I) remembered this game as being more serviceable than it actually is.
We're barely a third into the game.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I... really suggest you do something as a side project to keep you sane. Because this is just terrible.

Zeathian
Mar 16, 2016
Maybe invite more people in to share the suffering with. You could make it an endurance contest, to see who can pay attention the longest to what's happening in game.

Zeathian fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 29, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
1) I do have a side project. I have also started recording gameplay for Defiance, because between all the collectibles and identical fights it will actually take a while
2) I want it over quickly. More people ---> more scheduling ---> it takes longer to complete. Instead I'll do more solo updates (I don't have to schedule those) and the updates will generally be around 30 minutes long

---
Unrelated: I just got reminded why I didn't record everything in 3-4 long takes. The game likes to crash on me

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Since y'all were talking about it, both bourbon and scotch are kinds of whiskey while brandy is what you get when you distill wine. Also, I think Zain's commentary is about half a second off in this one.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I think you're right. Actually, you're absolutely right. I was misguided by the fact that we talked over each other a lot that time.
I'll reupload tomorrow

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Alexeythegreat posted:

:ohdear:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Maybe do an "abridged" version of the game for the rest of the LP? Unless you REALLY want to show off the entirety of the gameplay. Just speed up combat except for bosses, and mostly just hit all the plot bits and rare environmental dialog. It would help keep your sanity as you can just tear through the game, knowing that you're not going to show off the boring stuff so you can cheese it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

JossiRossi posted:

Maybe do an "abridged" version of the game for the rest of the LP? Unless you REALLY want to show off the entirety of the gameplay. Just speed up combat except for bosses, and mostly just hit all the plot bits and rare environmental dialog. It would help keep your sanity as you can just tear through the game, knowing that you're not going to show off the boring stuff so you can cheese it.

Or at least cut it out so you don't have to inflict the whole thing on yourself a second time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

Actually, now that I think of it, this is probably the reason why many people (including Zain and I) remembered this game as being more serviceable than it actually is.

Seriously. I knew Blood Omen 2 was the worst in the series but I could only remember a few things like how dumb Umah's outfit was, Vorador's miraculous resurrection and a certain location later in the game but I had the impression it wasn't as bad as people said. But no, it's really awful and boring and tedious and I'm wondering how I managed to block all of this out of my memory.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I think it's the set of levels that's after this Sarafan Keep one that are the loving worst to play. That's saying something for this game.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Remember how I promised to reupload the video with fixed audio?
Turns out that I lied :v: I'll do it as soon as I get around to doing that, everyone already watched it anyway

I appreciate everyone's suggestions as to how to make it more bearable. It got me thinking and I think I know what I'll do...

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Just gonna leave this here:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Are there even any BO2 apologists out there? I thought it was universally hated.

George posted:

Just gonna leave this here:

Not pictured: Kain hiding in a nearby bush.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
quote is not edit, sorry

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Are there even any BO2 apologists out there? I thought it was universally hated.
Check out some of these customer reviews Every game - no matter how bad - will have its apologists.
In the LoK fan-community I was a part of years ago, I recall the general opinion being divided up into people thinking it was absolute garbage and those who thought it wasn't that bad but just bland and mediocre.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 1, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's the entire thing: you have 3-4 hours worth of content stretched to 12-13 hours of repetitive gameplay, spruced up with horrible writing. It's nowhere near the Daikatana or Ride to Hell: Retribution kind of bad, but it's the combination of repetitiveness plus length that makes it so hard to endure.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's just one of those games that when you start playing it you want to keep going because you want to know how it ends, but you're just playing it to get to the end, not from enjoyment.

It'd probably be all right if played like a "low level" RPG run where you don't let yourself drink any blood. Definitely would cut out a couple of hours of tediousness.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That won't work. The health gauge goes down all the time by itself, because bloodthirst, and once it gets to the bottom, you will have but one hit left in you. It would be fine, except there are some points in the game where damage is just plain unavoidable, and there's one enemy that performs its unblockables so quickly that if you are caught up in an attack as the animation starts, you get hurt

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday, I have recorded the gameplay up until the Seer. I have stopped the recording right after the Seer.
Now I open up the game to continue recording, and turns out that the checkpoint is right before the 10000-minute long cutscene.
I hate my life.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The game just crashed my computer, gonna have to sit through it for the third time

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Alexeythegreat posted:

The game just crashed my computer, gonna have to sit through it for the third time

I think the game has gained sentience and is trying to stop you from mocking it further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps. But I will persevere.

In the meantime, the breakdown counter and the hysterical laughter are back.

• Locked thread