Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

http://weezer.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGyBIQjU2Lk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh hey that's neat

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Weezer loving sucks, I'm more ashamed of teenage me for liking weezer a lot then I am of listening to linkin park or some poo poo. gently caress Weezer and gently caress Rivers Cuomo.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Someone find that "Rivers El Pervo" blog or whatever and post it tia

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yea it's a new weezer album alright

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Anaranjado posted:

Weezer loving sucks, I'm more ashamed of teenage me for liking weezer a lot then I am of listening to linkin park or some poo poo. gently caress Weezer and gently caress Rivers Cuomo.

I still feel this way despite Everything Will Be Alright In The End being pretty decent. It was their best offering in drat near a decade.

e: drat I forgot Maladroit was 2002. Okay, over a decade then.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 15, 2016

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It's about time.

The masses have been clamoring.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm on board, I liked the last two.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Yeah, last album was pretty great, and I find myself cycling through it pretty often. If you didn't like parts of maladroit, green, make believe, red, and EWBAITE, it might be time to consider whether you like the band or just some idea of them.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I bought tickets to their album release show in Brooklyn on the off chance that they do a set full of songs I like from twenty years ago.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Everything Will Be Alright In The End was band-invigorating to me. I'm on board with this.

I'm fully prepared for my artist enjoyment to go south as it did when the Foo Fighters followed up Wasting Light with Sonic Highways.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I too put my hopes for good records into bands like Weezer and Foo Fighters

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

interpunct posted:

I bought tickets to their album release show in Brooklyn on the off chance that they do a set full of songs I like from twenty years ago.

I considered it because I've never seen them but on the other hand, gently caress Weezer?

Like Blue Album and Pinkerton are great albums but, also, gently caress Weezer.

Pinkerton would probably crack a top 50 list of my favorite albums but, on the other hand, like really I would be fine if I never saw Weezer live because gently caress Weezer.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

OK the new song is legitimately really loving good and is loving called LA Girlz, this is painful to my worldview

https://itunes.apple.com/us/post/idsa.6c0f9054-d599-11e5-85c4-7ebee77c13cd

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
That song title made me roll my eyes real, real bad but dang that's a great song. That's my favorite of the new batch so far.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All 4 of the new songs are really drat good.

How is this the same band that put out Raditude?

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
Seriously, don't let that loving name fool you. Easily the best Weezer song since the Maladroit demos.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Annoying Reveler posted:

Seriously, don't let that loving name fool you. Easily the best Weezer song since the Maladroit demos.

I don't agree with the latter part, but it's really better than the name would indicate.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Dangit, "LA Girlz" is pretty good. I liked about half of the last album, so I guess I'll listen to this one too on the strength of the new song, which sounds like a Pinkerton b-side.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lmao this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPsG7Yjrvk

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Actually, scratch what I said yesterday. L.A. Girlz is actually pretty loving good.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I haven't listened the whole way through any Weezer album except the first two iirc.
They're kinda a terrible band with a decent number of good songs.

The best thing about them is how bizarre Rivers' twitter is https://twitter.com/RiversCuomo

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

sout posted:

I haven't listened the whole way through any Weezer album except the first two iirc.
They're kinda a terrible band with a decent number of good songs.

The best thing about them is how bizarre Rivers' twitter is https://twitter.com/RiversCuomo
Nowadays he's just selectively quoting what other people say about Weezer on Twitter, it's hilarious. Especially the replies by the people who don't get it.

Haven't listened to their past 3 albums but I am an avid Make Believe fan.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Make Believe is great, it gets a lot of poo poo but both it and Maladroit are underappreciated gems IMO.

Ignoring Beverly Hills (which really isn't that bad compared to Weezer's later, sizeable list of bad songs) it's an incredibly solid collection of songs. I'd put Perfect Situation (the original version, not the single) and Hold Me in my top 10 Weezer songs. This Is Such A Pity, Peace, Damage In Your Heart, Pardon Me, The Other Way, and Haunt You Every Day are also great songs.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Yeah I really don't understand why it's singled out, I think it's more well rounded than Maladroit and Green. I can find something worthwhile about every track.

e: now I'm reminiscing about Weezer. I've seen them 3 times (Make Believe tour, Red tour, and a Pinkerton show(+ ONLY IN DREAMS)) and they were a blast every time. Maybe I'll see them this year.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 19, 2016

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Paperback Writer posted:

Yeah I really don't understand why it's singled out, I think it's more well rounded than Maladroit and Green. I can find something worthwhile about every track.

I really, really dislike My Best Friend. I'm alright with Beverly Hills and Drugs, they're just big stupid pop songs.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Paperback Writer posted:

Yeah I really don't understand why it's singled out [...]

Because if you think that the Green Album was too slickly produced, Make Believe will blow your loving mind.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Weezer started their career at their apex. I love the first two albums and the rest I ignore.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Hey guys, the album is in Spotify.

LA Girlz, Do You Wanna Get High?, Summer Elaine and Drunk Dori, and Endless Bummer are early favorites for me. I think California Kids is also good, and I'm warming up to King of the World.

I wish Rivers was using a teensy bit less falsetto... I also think I preferred the previous album's production.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 1, 2016

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's a good album. 5th favourite for me after Pinkerton, Blue, Make Believe and Maladroit.

Green album is traaaaaash by the way

I really love the key change in Summer Elaine for some reason.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

This album is good, Really good.

LOL at people STILL bitching it's not Pinkerton or Blue. This is as close as you're ever going to get so please shut up already! It's been 20 loving years.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pitchfork has described each of Weezer's last four albums including this one as either "back to basics" or a "return to form" and I have to wonder at what point you're considered to be already at the basics, or the form.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's common knowledge that any review of a new Weezer album by any publication will always be ~70% history lesson and ~30% review

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy gently caress this sounds like GOOD Weezer (aka im one of the plebes who only likes the Blue album (and the State Farm video)).

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Some of the songs on Raditude were catchy and good. Well, peace out.

*disappears in a puff of smoke, leaving behind the scent of brimstone*

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
The new album is :krad:

Cnut the Great posted:

Some of the songs on Raditude were catchy and good. Well, peace out.

*disappears in a puff of smoke, leaving behind the scent of brimstone*

rivers couldn't stop partying way before LMFAO

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Last Chance posted:

It's common knowledge that any review of a new Weezer album by any publication will always be ~70% history lesson and ~30% review

'Hay guys here's this band they had a really good album that was very Pixies and then a follow up that was Pavement-y and I only like those ones cause I'm old/an insufferable snob and they've made other ones since then but they all kinda suck and here's another one of those that sounds like the old ones I like in spots probably cause they're made by the same band and people have styles and all that but I don't like it as much as the old ones cause like I said old/snob score ranging from 3-6/10' :v:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

"Let's face it - the new Weezer album is better than their iconic and highly influential 90s albums." somebody with chops be a hero and write this review. Thanks in advance.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I feel like there is a legitimately good song in Jacked Up, but it's produced completely wrong from start to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

DominoDancing posted:

I feel like there is a legitimately good song in Jacked Up, but it's produced completely wrong from start to end.

I agree. I was initially extremely resistant to it because it has that Rivers Does Hip Hop sound that comes off sorta half-baked, combined with the alarmingly high pitched vocals. I kept coming back to it, though, because I think the tune is actually pretty loving good, and it's infectious in a way that's hard to put my finger on. I think the bridge is fantastic, and fits musically with the verses but stylistically it sounds like a different song. Could be a symptom of being overproduced. I don't fault them for trying something different but I don't think it comes off as sincere as most of the other songs on the album.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 5, 2016

• Locked thread